Surprised by dragons...?

otaku2255

I'm no Fire Emblem expert, as I've only played four of the games (beat FE7 first, then Shadow Dragon, almost done with FE6 and halfway through FE8). Still, I've noticed a recurring theme in these games that always strikes me odd. The main lord(s) are always surprised when the topic of dragons gets brought up. Is it really that far of a stretch when there are Wyvern riders abound throughout these worlds? At least Roy distinguished the dragons he heard about from these Wyverns in his introductory conversation with Niime (just passed that chapter). I mean, still though, he was in utter disbelief about the possibility of dragons for most of the game, while he had already met several Wyvern riders and had Melady in his army.

Dragons/Manaketes are biologically different to wyverns. Wyverns are much smaller than dragons, and have a leaner body shape. Plus, the manaketes transform into dragons, and that's what makes them special. IRL, shapeshifting would be considered an amazing ability, so I image it's also considered amazing to the people in Fire Emblem games.

For Elibe (FE6 and FE7), a huge part of its backstory revolves around the Scouring. The Scouring explains why the manaketes no longer occupy Elibe, and haven't lived there for so long they become this legendary, mythological race to Elibeans. That piece of info is covered in FE7 IIRC, as that game focuses more on the lore of the world.

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

You're correct overall, but I just thought I should point out that, in Marth's games, wyverns are a tribe of degenerated dragons. 

treat every game as its own universe, unless stated otherwise (like FE 6 & 7). so dont apply anything thats a lore in one game as a fact in other games.

also wyvern and dragon more often than not a different entity in fantasy setting. (something like which one have forelegs, and which one have wings as forelegs. for example)

10 hours ago, joevar said:

treat every game as its own universe, unless stated otherwise (like FE 6 & 7). so dont apply anything thats a lore in one game as a fact in other games.

I wasn't treating a bit of lore in one game as a fact in other games; I was just pointing out an exception to something Dandy Druid had seemingly stated as a general rule. That's even why I specified, "In Marth's games".

Edited by vanguard333

16 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

You're correct overall, but I just thought I should point out that, in Marth's games, wyverns are a tribe of degenerated dragons. 

Forgot about that detail. Makes the class line of wyvern riders more suspicious to me now in the Marth saga.

Horses exist, doesn't mean you're not going to be surprised if someone starts talking about unicorns. Besides, the existence of dragons isn't something Roy has trouble grasping, it's their presence here, as he's been lead to believe they've been extinct for the past thousand years. Marth never has any cause to be surprised by dragons since they're an established fact on his continent, while in Magvel their *shrug*, Magvel has poor world building, I guess they are essentially mythic there, so see my previous unicorn example.

Edited by Jotari

On 2/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, it focuses on ruining it.

I'm really curious about why you think that.
I can't remember too many details about FE7, because it was never my favorite FE story-wise. 

22 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I'm really curious about why you think that

As far as I recall, FE7 doesn't contribute much to the lore. Everything it adds is unrelated to what was established in the Binding Blade or contradictory to it, rather than building on it. What it introduced is of mixed quality. I would agree with you that it's not the best Fire Emblem plot so I don't go back to muse over its story all that much, but that's a good overview of my complaint.