[FE5] [Completed] Thracia 776: Reverse Boss Recruitment Hack

Blade of Light

It‘s Thracia, but you play the bosses and fight against the original cast!

Follow lord Veld, his trusted knight Raydrik and his merry men, the deadlords, on a magical journey after the malicious prince Leaf and his pawn, baron Finn, kidnapped Velds love interest Bharat and find out that the real treasure are the ~40 generic-looking friends they make along the way!

This hack replaces every playable character with a boss or NPC and vice versa. Since there aren‘t enough bosses to replace every unit, August, Dorias, Julius and Ishtar are included as playables. On top of that, Lara is unchanged since she funtions as both your thief in Manster and your dancer. This hack also gives most bosses who appear as a general or baron in the base game a new class, as there wouldn‘t be any variety between units otherwise.

Update: Version 1.1 of the hack is out! On top of some fixes, this version is updated to version 1.08 of Lil' Manster, allowing you to access all the new and amazing QoL features of that version. Many thanks to Miacis for helping me with the switch!

Note: This hack does not alter any dialogue, it‘s gameplay only (apart from some memes).

Download Link

The complete changelog can be found here.

The Folder also includes a 0% growths version and an Everyone Is Largo version. The creeping realization that everyone is Largo is something I just wanted to share (his portrait gets reused like 5 times in the game).

The Optional QoL/unit reordering patches from LM are also included.

Known Issues:

- Stoning bosses before they can participate in certain events (like Leaf in chapter 5) can cause soflocks. Just don‘t do that. Stoning bosses in general is fine though – and hilariously broken!

- If a unit gets stoned, then recruited (like Trewds or Mishas replacement, at the end of the chapter), they‘ll stay stoned as the status doesn‘t get cleared between chapters.

- If The door to the arena is opened while Eichner is on the field in chapter 5, he sometimes remains on the battlefield even though his sprite is gone until 1 othe action is completed. If you step on his tile while he's still there, the game crashes. Thanks to Tortuga Jr.#6373 on discord for reporting this

Note that I might have missed some bugs and glitches. If you encounter anything that looks like one, please contact me immediately on SF or on Discord (user Blade of Light#6050). Thanks!

0%+000.png

0%+001.png

fe5trans007.png

fe5trans016.png

fe5trans021.png

fe5trans054.png

fe5trans052.png

fe5trans053.png

Edited by Blade of Light
New Version 1.1

Just now, Pengaius said:

this seems like itll be a fun time, are the names in dialogue replaced too or will everybody be calling Veld, Leaf?

the dialogue is unedited, they will call Veld Leaf and Leafs portrait will appear in the dialogue. I haven't felt the need to change anything but gameplay

I think I know what my next FE5 playthrough is going to look like!  Would it be at all possible to give Julius the Dark Prince class (or at least its overworld sprites)?  I have a feeling it may be too much work to get it to function properly given it's unused in the base game, but it would certainly help to distinguish him a little more from all the other Dark Bishops. x)

7 hours ago, DLNarshen said:

I think I know what my next FE5 playthrough is going to look like!  Would it be at all possible to give Julius the Dark Prince class (or at least its overworld sprites)?  I have a feeling it may be too much work to get it to function properly given it's unused in the base game, but it would certainly help to distinguish him a little more from all the other Dark Bishops. x)

the overworld sprite works fine, but the in-battle animations softlock the game, and while it is possible to give someone an overworld sprite that differs from their actual class, I don't really want to do that; it'd just look odd and might be confusing to anyone playing with in-battle animations. And no, I can't import the animation from FE4 either, there aren't really any advanced tools that could do that for Genealogy. And yeah, having like 5 dark bishops in a bit confusing - but I can assure you, having 7 wyverns is worse 🙃

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Rinehardt doesn't get Dime Thunder?

yeah, he replaces Brighton who doesn't have a personal weapon in vanilla. If the Dire Tunder was in the game, I would've given him access to it, like with Altena and the dragonpike, but it ended up being unused because the only magical prf needed was the Grafcalibur. But to be honest, we're talking about a unit that can use basically every normal magic in the game at base, has good bases, really good offensive growths (including a 5% move growth), 5 vigor stars and 3 offensive skills. I feel like he doesn't need any extra favoritism.

35 minutes ago, Blade of Light said:

yeah, he replaces Brighton who doesn't have a personal weapon in vanilla. If the Dire Tunder was in the game, I would've given him access to it, like with Altena and the dragonpike, but it ended up being unused because the only magical prf needed was the Grafcalibur. But to be honest, we're talking about a unit that can use basically every normal magic in the game at base, has good bases, really good offensive growths (including a 5% move growth), 5 vigor stars and 3 offensive skills. I feel like he doesn't need any extra favoritism.

Having him replace Olwen seems like the really obvious choice to me.

Just now, Jotari said:

Having him replace Olwen seems like the really obvious choice to me.

it's reverse boss recruitment though. And Rinehardt appears really late in vanilla, so he's going to be one of the first characters you get in this patch. Olwen gets replaced by Zyle, the brigand boss of chapter 15, and there's not much I can change about that

5 hours ago, Blade of Light said:

the overworld sprite works fine, but the in-battle animations softlock the game, and while it is possible to give someone an overworld sprite that differs from their actual class, I don't really want to do that; it'd just look odd and might be confusing to anyone playing with in-battle animations. And no, I can't import the animation from FE4 either, there aren't really any advanced tools that could do that for Genealogy. And yeah, having like 5 dark bishops in a bit confusing - but I can assure you, having 7 wyverns is worse 🙃

Ah, that's too bad.  No big deal - I'm still gonna have a lot of fun with this.

Never thought I would see a boss hack for SNES Emblem and so quick too! I'm glad these are starting to crop up. This and the one for FE7 are paving the way for other boss hacks. Great job on this! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this was a fun experience.

44lE4mY.png

P68sQ1q.png

hZJdkNH.png

You're probably aware of this already, but "Othin" in the final chapter can't use the Vouge he comes with. Not that I was complaining Thanks again for making this!

Edited by DLNarshen

I know it's been... a little while, but an updated version of this hack in finally out! On top of some fixes, this upgrades the hack to version 1.08 of Lil' Manster and therefore adds all the new QoL features of that version. This is probably going to be the final version of the hack, and it actually comes without menu lag!