Is my Serra now worthless?

James Marshall

I've recently restarted Fire Emblem 7/this Game, I've also beat Lyn Mode, but I'm worried about my Serra, she's leveled up 9 times but her MAG has only increased once and that was during her 1st level up. Which means that despite A MAG Growth Rate of 50% she has gone 8 levels without gaining even 1 point of MAG. Is my Serra now worthless?

Sort of. 50% means that, on average, she should gain 4.5 Magic over 9 levels: in turn, that means your Serra is 3.5 Magic behind on her averages. Off the top of my head, I believe that Serra starts at L1 with 2 Magic, so yours should be L10 with 3, compared to her average 6.5. Correct? I’ve used Serras like that, mainly because I love her a lot (as my username implies), but Priscilla should be able to take over with healing duties.

Even if Priscilla's Mag doesn't end up much higher than Serra's, she'll still be more practical for her higher Mov stat.  So don't worry too much if Serra gets Mag-screwed, because Priscilla should be able to take over her healing duties with ease provided she's still alive.

Staff utility is always potentially useful in FE 7. Serra in general is not as good as other staff users such as Priscilla who has more movement or Pent who joins with a high weapon rank in staves, but a staff user is a staff user if you want one. Probably faster to just early promote Canas if you really need one other than the two I just mentioned.

Healers and Dancers are the only classes where they're not as screwed as a unit if they level up badly. They're still usable, unlike a combat unit who fails to kill or do significant damage to an enemy. Keep using her if you like her. You may get lucky with her stats later.

• 1 month later...

Serra with a mend staff can heal more than passably well. Any amount of staff utility is going to be good, just upgrade the staves.

Things like warp/rescue/physic will likely have low range but, as others pointed out, you'll get people who can use those rare and situational staves much better than Serra can.