2/17/2021 Nintendo Direct Discussion

Lightchao42

Good: 

• Project Triangle (REALLY expecting a name change somewhere down the line, more so than Octopath, which made more sense in hindsight)
  • Mana/SaGa remakes
  • Pyra and Mythra in Smash

Bad:

• DC Supergirls (really?)
  • Fall Guys (though a great party game, I just don't care for it)

The Winner: my wallet (I don't have to spend for much in the coming months!)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well. Maybe once this HW AoC dlc is done, we can finally get FEW2. And if they add Kass, I may even buy that dlc.

I am frustrated that it will take until November to finish that dlc though. That's basically a full year of their staff on AoC dlc. Hopefully only a portion of the staff for the game and the majority of the team can move on.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

After playing the demo Octopath Emblem seems to take some cue's from Disgaea as well as Fire Emblem. The height elevations, the way specials can knock units around and the ''democracy system'' resembles Disgaea's dark assembly a little bit. 

But storywise the game really wears it Fire Emblem inspirations on its sleeve. The Duchy is essentially your conquering nation ala Bern or Daein. The game even starts with the Duke entering the heroes conquered throne room and going ''Haha! You thought I was just a normal conqueror but I have grander plans! Muhahaha!''. The three nations also seem to shape up as the good guy nation, the bad guy nation and the neutral nation that will suffer a coup or betray the heroes later on sort of system that Fire Emblem often uses. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

After playing the demo Octopath Emblem seems to take some cue's from Disgaea as well as Fire Emblem. The height elevations, the way specials can knock units around and the ''democracy system'' resembles Disgaea's dark assembly a little bit. 

But storywise the game really wears it Fire Emblem inspirations on its sleeve. The Duchy is essentially your conquering nation ala Bern or Daein. The game even starts with the Duke entering the heroes conquered throne room and going ''Haha! You thought I was just a normal conqueror but I have grander plans! Muhahaha!''. The three nations also seem to shape up as the good guy nation, the bad guy nation and the neutral nation that will suffer a coup or betray the heroes later on sort of system that Fire Emblem often uses. 

Story wise, it reminds me a lot of PoR, sans the fact you are actually playing as the royalty on run rather than a group of mercenaries. I've oven played the first map and watched the side story with the other lord of the invaded country but the desert theocracy place screams Begnion as mot theocracies in video games always have some form of corruption. I'm excited to see where it goes tho.

Gameplay is fun enough, tho I'm not a fan of the camera, but that could be my own fault for fidgeting a bit with the right control stick a bit much when I play.

20 hours ago, Florete said:

That's an overreaction if I've ever seen one. It could be as simple as IS not having anything to show yet. And the FEW team is working on AoC DLC.

There was a time where we had a new main entry, a card game still going on, a musou, a mobile game, and a remake within the span of 2 years.  Three Houses is getting sales better than the series has ever seen and there's nothing to show for it.  The 30th anniversary was just a port of FE1 and Cipher dying.  Not even close to an "overreaction".

Edited by Sayyyaka

11 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

There was a time where we had a new main entry, a card game still going on, a musou, a mobile game, and a remake within the span of 2 years.  Three Houses is getting sales better than the series has ever seen and there's nothing to show for it.  The 30th anniversary was just a port of FE1 and Cipher dying.  Not even close to an "overreaction".

It was also during a global pandemic.

Also, 2017's glorious FE direct was a freak occurence, and was only possible because they announced 3H wayyyy to early into its development.

25 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

"Nintendo is pretending FE doesn't exist" when it has 8 characters in Smash, not even a year has passed since development ended on the previous game's DLC, and there's been a global pandemic for 10 months, yes, is an overreaction. As stated above, 2017 was a freak occurrence; expecting that to happen ever again is setting yourself up for disappointment. You're stretching it on that timeline anyway: Three Houses released on July 26, 2019. Heroes and Echoes both released more than two years prior to that date, on February 2 and May 19 (outside Japan) 2017 respectively.

2018 didn't even have any FE releases, yet 2020 actually did, small as it might have been.

I'll might buy Famicom Detective Club at May and may look at Splatoon 3 when it comes in 2022. (I might need to finish up the Story Mode for Splatoon 2) I did managed to download 1941 and Ghost and Goblins for the Capcom Arcade Stadium since they're free and can't wait to play Pyra and Mythra when it comes around at March for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I do think Splatoon 3 could be releasing around Spring 2022 since we only know it mentioned 2022.

By the way, did they said that Famicom Detective Club is getting release in retails or is it download only since it did mentioned the two versions are sold seperately?

So going over my predictions/wants:

On 2/16/2021 at 6:35 PM, Lightchao42 said:
  • Zelda something, very likely since it's the 35th anniversary (even if it's not BotW2).
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see something from Fire Emblem either. A remake wouldn't be too surprising, but I think it's too early for FE Warriors 2 since AoC just came out.
  • The Great Ace Attorney localization announcement, and maybe an Ace Attorney 7 announcement if we're lucky.
  • Pikmin 4 finally like that'll happen.
  • Monolith Soft's next project, since it's been in development for 2.5 years at this point.
  • Rex still isn't added to Super Smash Bros.
  • No Pokémon because it always does its own thing.

There was indeed a Zelda something, though it was only a port. FE was a no-show, as was TGAA, but its basically certain that the latter is being released this year. There wasn't any Pikmin 4 but I wasn't expecting it anyway, nor did we get anything from Monolith (technically). On the other hand, Rex actually was added to Smash, even if his Blades are playable and not him. And though I didn't mention it before, I'm glad the Ninja Gaiden collection has been officially confirmed.

I'm satisfied by what we got, Pyra and Mythra made it a 100/10 Direct.

Edited by Lightchao42

16 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The game i'd compare it to the most is Tactics Ogre. A game which, similarly to the early Fire Emblem games, were a large influence in the SRPG genre. The team behind the game went on to make Final Fantasy Tactics (Which was very similar in tone and gameplay, with Final Fantasy iconography added in) and Ogre Battle, both of which went on to introduce more mechanics and ideas, including the aforementioned ledges and knocking units around. Specially given that the team behind Triangle also worked on Bravely Default, which was heavily inspired by Final Fantasy V, and Octopath Traveller, which was heavily inspired by Saga.

If you enjoyed the demo and want something similar to that, i would definitely recommend Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle. For me personally, while i enjoy how these games possess very complex storytelling focusing greatly on worldbuilding, political intrigue and multiple clashes of character motivation (Which, going by the Triangle demo, is still strong here), the gameplay focus is significantly different, while the tactical gameplay is still there and done decently, the games feel far more like a normal RPG but on a tile-based grid compared to Fire Emblem which places far more emphasis on the "Strategy" part of "Strategy RPG". Keep these in mind with your expectations going in.

When I saw Triangle Strategy, first thing in my mind was "Octopath Sequel" followed by "Octopath Tactics". I'm getting a major FFT vibe, there.

Spoiler

What I don't get is how Square can go to the effort of making a game that so closely resembles classic Final Fantasy, yet they keep pushing the actual core Final Fantasy series in the "photorealistic metrosexual scifipunk" direction. It's like if Nintendo turned Super Mario into a photorealistic superhero game where an Italian man dons a funky spandex suit and a cape and fights supervillains who use robots and mutants, and then they make a more cartoony series starring an Italian Plumber that runs, jumps, and saves princesses, but it's not called Super Mario, it's called something like "Project Plumber Man".

Granted, FFXVI seems to be stepping back towards the fantasy roots, but they're still going for that photorealistic look which I don't care for at all. The story sounds like edgelord cringe, the protagonist looks like they ripped off the Prince of Persia from Warrior Within, and I understand the game is more graphic and may get an M rating, which is a turn off all its own as I despise when games add gore for the sake of looking more "mature". If they want to make edgy, grimdark, photorealistic RPGs, that can be its own series. Goodness knows FF has like a dozen spinoffs already. Just give me a classic Final Fantasy with pointy-hat wizards, yellow birds, flying white cat thingies, and magic crystals for Cosmos' sake.

*ahem* Anyway! I feel kinda bad that Rex is left out as a playable fighter, but I am happy to see transforming return. Character switching is one of those gimmicks that are too good to limit to one or two fighters, along with MP (or an equivalent such as ammunition, weapon energy, etc.) and weapon switching.

22 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

metrosexual scifipunk...

story sounds like edgelord cringe

Has Final Fantasy not always been that? Sci-fi themes aren't exactly uncommon, being there since the first game (Flying Fortress, especially the NES version of it, the Lufenia, Airship, Death Machine) and only getting more prominent since, and although I love some Final Fantasy (namely VI), it's hard to deny that it hasn't always had "edgelord cringe." Maniacal sadistic clown committing war crimes and later ascends to become a God? Yeah, ok, totally not anything like a certain Batman villain who's become pretty much the poster boy for "edgelord cringe."

As far as graphics and gore go, I'm fully convinced that if Square back then had the technology it has today, it would have done the same thing it's doing now. Poisoning the water supply of a kingdom and having a character witness his wife and child become victim as the rest of the kingdom people are also wiped out isn't exactly tame. Or for a non FFVI example this time, just look at basically anything from FFVII, coincidentally also the most popular game that really threw the series into full throttle on the whole Sci-fi theme and gore and, also, the introduction of probably the most edgelord protagonists (even if you believe he wasn't like that to begin with, it's what he became in every subsequent appearance)

*spoilered because salty rant incoming*

Spoiler

The real problem isn't that FF became that, it always was that, but that Nomura is hack who's incapable of writing a cohesive story because he'd rather include gimmicky contrived nonsense for a surprise factor that'll either, plague the story for its entirety, or won't be revisited ever again once the moment's passed. Square should never have let him get his grimy hands on the VII remake. And this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed XV more than most but I still acknowledge its flaws.

6 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

it's hard to deny that it hasn't always had "edgelord cringe." Maniacal sadistic clown committing war crimes and later ascends to become a God? Yeah, ok, totally not anything like a certain Batman villain who's become pretty much the poster boy for "edgelord cringe."

Final Fantasy, the Edgelord RPG? Nonononononononononononono!

Notice the word "opening" and the thumbnail image. Poisoning the water? Puh-lease! Nuke Doma to dust!

This is the Super Famicom remake of a Famicom game. The Famicom original version of Megami Tensei released in 1987, the same year as Final Fantasy I, and Megami Tensei ended with a battle against Lucifer. Lucifer is definitely an edgier pick than Chaos. SMT is and will always be the One True RPG Edgelord. Complete with all the cringe the title conveys.

Definitely not trying to argue that Final Fantasy is the edgiest rpg out there. Not even close. Especially when compared to anything SMT offers. The series that let's you try and seduce a zombie dog (even if always resulting in failure) in "If..." can definitely keep it's title as the edgiest RPG. But still, hard to deny that FF doesn't have its edgy moments.

I've seen a similar take online: "Why don't they just make another Final Fantasy Tactics", and really would the name and iconography change that much? I like that Square Enix finances development studios to make games in original universes, even when the gameplay ends up feeling like an older game with Final Fantasy in the title. It's a far cry from an era where Squaresoft was worried a game wouldn't sell, so they'd slap "Final Fantasy" in the title in order to boost sales.

Speaking of the SaGa and Mana franchises, I'm liking these remasters of those games on Switch. Keep em coming. Though I notice they're prioritizing obscure titles over more popular games, like FF1-6, chrono trigger, etc. Isn't there budget enough to be releasing both? The current steam/mobile versions of such games often have questionable quality, but some are perfectly serviceable. Or you can strike a deal with Nintendo to put the original ROMs on the Switch Online apps. That's money they're leaving on the table.

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

*spoilered because salty rant incoming*

Hide contents

The real problem isn't that FF became that, it always was that, but that Nomura is hack who's incapable of writing a cohesive story because he'd rather include gimmicky contrived nonsense for a surprise factor that'll either, plague the story for its entirety, or won't be revisited ever again once the moment's passed. Square should never have let him get his grimy hands on the VII remake. And this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed XV more than most but I still acknowledge its flaws.

FFXV isn't a good example of Nomura as a director except as an example of Nomura getting screwed over by higher-ups: the final product of FFXV was very different from how FFXV was originally envisioned by Nomura; it wasn't even originally FFXV but FF Versus XIII, and Nomura got kicked off the project by the executives after they made him director of Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF7R (in the latter case doing so without his knowledge; he didn't know he was directing the game until we knew he was directing the game), with Hajime Tabata having been put in place to completely rebuild the rebranded game on a new engine and get the game out in two years. 

If you're wondering why important things got abruptly dropped or never revisited or why FFXV full of "gimmicky contrived nonsense", it's because it was a rushed-out unfinished shell of a game scarred by its horrific development, and neither of its directors are to blame; the blame lies with the higher-ups that dealt both directors an impossible hand in different ways. 

I mean, just look at these two trailers for Versus XIII and tell me it's anything like how XV ended up:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Definitely not trying to argue that Final Fantasy is the edgiest rpg out there. Not even close. Especially when compared to anything SMT offers. The series that let's you try and seduce a zombie dog (even if always resulting in failure) in "If..." can definitely keep it's title as the edgiest RPG. But still, hard to deny that FF doesn't have its edgy moments.

I was not aware of the zombie dog seduction, my Classic SMT experience is far less than all the fan translations available means it should be.

But yeah, I know FF can be edgy at times, particularly in the common perception for a while with Squall and AC!Cloud. 

And if you couldn't tell, I was as much poking fun at SMT. It overdoes it so much trying to be edgy-cool, that it's hard to take it all seriously in a sense. Like how many Tokyo apocalypses can you have? What form is Louis Cyphre taking this time?

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Though I notice they're prioritizing obscure titles over more popular games, like FF1-6, chrono trigger, etc. Isn't there budget enough to be releasing both?

Not if there isn't enough budget to remake VI. Something along the lines of IV DS please! But with modern visuals of course. And no The After Years.

I would love to see a Final Fantasy Collection of I-VI released for the Switch, with graphic updates (preferably in the territory of the PSP remakes of I, II, and IV) and bug fixes (like the spells and weapons in FFI that don't work properly, and the M.Evade bug in FFVI that makes regular Evade worthless). I could even handle splitting the collection into two halves, though a single collection would of course be preferred.

I'd also like to see an HD Remake of Chrono Trigger, with 3D graphics in the vein of DQXI. As a bonus, CTHD could include a Chrono Crossover story where Serge, Kid, and at least one of their allies travel back in time to 1000 A.D. in pursuit of Lynx, and meet Crono's party. When Kid sees Lucca alive for the first time in ten years, she breaks down in tears and hugs her "Big Sis". Lucca is bewildered at first, but learns Kid's story and comforts her. Crono's party learn that Lynx is trying to eliminate them to keep Kid from meddling in his plans, so they agree to help find and stop him. Serge's party get to awaken true magic within themselves the way Crono's party did, by speaking to Spekkio at the End of Time. The eight Tech slots for the Cross characters consist of a mixture of their L3, L5, and L7 techs from Cross as well as Elements like Photon Ray and Fireball. Members of the two parties get to show off new Combo Techs like a "X-Over Strike" between Crono and Serge, or Lucca and Kid performing an extra-powerful fire attack on enemies by mixing Megaton Bomb with HotShot.

We could also witness an epic battle between Magus and Lynx, tied to Magus' search for Schala and his attempt to alter fate by saving Schala from the Ocean Palace and thus keeping her from merging with Lavos to become the Time Devourer. I can even picture this exchange between the two scythe-wielding warlocks:

Lynx: Do you believe you can change FATE?

Magus: No...I believe I can destroy it!!!

Cue an epic mix of "Decisive Battle with Magus" and "Final Confrontation".

I even have an ending in mind for such a crossover:

Spoiler

The final battle takes place shortly after Schala merges with Lavos, creating the Time Devourer. By using the Chrono Cross, Crono and Serge are able to free Schala and destroy Lavos once and for all. The side effect of this is that Kid begins to vanish as Schala didn't get a chance to create her, but she hopes that she might be born anew someday; just because her current body was some kind of clone doesn't mean she doesn't still have her own spirit, right? With tears in her eyes, she bids her friends farewell, and thanks them for everything, especially Lucca.

Serge and his remaining companions say their goodbyes to Crono's party and return to their own time, in 1020 A.D. Magus - or rather, Magil Janus - and Schala return to 12000 B.C. to join their fellow Enlightened in their new lives with the Earthbound. In 1004 A.D., Taban and Lara have a second daughter, and at Lucca's suggestion name her Kid. In 1020 A.D, Serge and his companions find Kid Ashtear waiting for them when they return, carrying an all-too-familiar dagger and an all-too-familiar amulet, wearing an all-too-familiar smirk on her face.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I just hope that Skyward Sword HD includes a left-handed mode that swaps the motion controls and mirrors the game (like they did with the wii version of Twilight Princess, but in this case to make Link left-handed like he frankly should always be). The added button/stick controls are a good start, but if they want to address making the game more accessible, they should also address the fact that the game puts around 10% of their audience at an unfair disadvantage.

In this regard, one could even argue that the Switch version is actually less accessible than the wii version: the wii remote and nunchuck were symmetrical and could fit comfortably in either hand. One thing a lot of left-handed players did with Skyward Sword was simply hold the wii remote in their left hand and the nunchuck in their right. It was still somewhat because Link was still using the sword in his right hand and the shield in his left, but it at least helped somewhat. With this version, the equivalent would be swapping joy-cons, which are in no way symmetrical and would be extremely awkward.

I only just watched the trailer for Samurai Warriors 5. I've mixed feelings towards bishonen Nobunaga.

• On the one hand, it is finally a new design after almost decades with the same one tweaked oh so slightly. A design shared with Cao Cao who preceded him and continues to exist.
  • On the other hand...
    • There goes an old man. Musou usually has good breadth when it comes to male designs, young pretty boys and rugged old men alike exist. Now, I'm concerned that if Nobunaga is younger, that the entire male cast is going to meet the same fate and it'll be too samey.
      • Except Ieyasu, Ieyasu will remain an old man no matter what, because Koei hates the Shogun.
    • Nobunaga has lost his European-styled general sword for a katana. Will someone else claim it now?
    • Is the Oda's general personality going to be adjusted too? His complete lack of humanity, his aloofness, his existence as unbridled ambition in human form and nothing else, will all that go away?
  • No has likewise been made younger, which is bad because the female variety in Musou is so slanted towards young and cute. The mature femme fatale angle is undone.
  • Gracia's a little less moe design is a positive.

Is this an attempt to make mainline Musou more mainstream? Yukimura and Mitsunari aren't enough prettiness, so the entire roster of men has to look like it's from an otome? 

I hope Koei offers the old looks as (overpriced) DLC, because I'm not entirely against the new one, but it has drawbacks.

Edit: Turns out what I was looking at was a new trailer, my mistake.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• 2 weeks later...

I for one think that all of the designs (except for the blurry images of T. Honda and Hatori Hanzo) are massive improvements (though Nobunaga should have kept the goatee). Samurai Warriors had a lot of duds - especially Ieyasu.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I for one think that all of the designs (except for the blurry images of T. Honda and Sattori Saizo) are massive improvements. Samurai Warriors had a lot of duds - especially Ieyasu.

Samurai Warriors certainly had some duds. The biggest of them was Imagawa Yoshimoto which is why they probably introduced his new big daddy form with a special cutscene just to show him off. And while I think Katsuie was fine I also think Koei was never very attached to his original version.

I always found Ieyasu one of the stronger characters though. He's always depicted as kinda fat on paintings so making him significantly heavier than Nobunaga and Hideyoshi always made a lot of sense. I suspect its also what held his popularity back. He's the fat old man who opposes a prettyboy tsundere.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Samurai Warriors certainly had some duds. The biggest of them was Imagawa Yoshimoto which is why they probably introduced his new big daddy form with a special cutscene just to show him off. And while I think Katsuie was fine I also think Koei was never very attached to his original version.

I always found Ieyasu one of the stronger characters though. He's always depicted as kinda fat on paintings so making him significantly heavier than Nobunaga and Hideyoshi always made a lot of sense. I suspect its also what held his popularity back. He's the fat old man who opposes a prettyboy tsundere.

I'm of the mind that Katsuie was one of their worst designs and had the biggest glow up as the best design so far.

Still don't like Yoshimoto. It's an improvement, but still unappealing.

I just hope they don't ruin my boy Nathan Dra- I mean Magoichi Saika.