2/17/2021 Nintendo Direct Discussion

Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm of the mind that Katsuie was one of their worst designs and had the biggest glow up as the best design so far.

Still don't like Yoshimoto. It's an improvement, but still unappealing.

I think its mostly the man's personality that was the problem. He was supposed to be the leading general for Nobunaga but from his depiction in the game you wouldn't know it. He's just the big, gruff retainer dude. And his big moment gets depicted in the pretty boring way of ''this is just the end of my era'' type of motive that old men always get. 

For Yoshimoto I think being unappealing is kind of the point. He supposedly had the very eccentric habit of painting his face white and blackening his teeth like nobles living about 500 years before his time. So even his more impressive version is depicted like an unbearable snob. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think its mostly the man's personality that was the problem. He was supposed to be the leading general for Nobunaga but from his depiction in the game you wouldn't know it. He's just the big, gruff retainer dude. And his big moment gets depicted in the pretty boring way of ''this is just the end of my era'' type of motive that old men always get. 

For Yoshimoto I think being unappealing is kind of the point. He supposedly had the very eccentric habit of painting his face white and blackening his teeth like nobles living about 500 years before his time. So even his more impressive version is depicted like an unbearable snob. 

Look, to me, appealing designs are more important than strict historical accuracy. There's ways to make reference to a character that don't make them less visually appealing. It's a video game and we're supposed to want to play these characters. A bad design is a bad design regardless of motive.

For instance, the awesome Ieyasu from Sengoku Basaara wears coins to reflect the real life Ieyasu's preference of settling conflicts with economic diplomacy.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier