2/17/2021 Nintendo Direct Discussion

Lightchao42

59 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Random wants/predictions:

• I wouldn't be surprised to see something from Fire Emblem either. A remake wouldn't be too surprising, but I think it's too early for FE Warriors 2 since AoC just came out.

About that. There is a case to be made for it. Yes, Omega Force has been busy with AoC, Persona 5 Strikers, and DW9 Empires, but they AREN'T Koei Tecmos only Warriors team. Team Ninja is also put on Warriors games from time to time, and they happen to have a clean slate right now since they released Nioh 2 this time last year. They're also the team primarily credited for FE Warriors. Recent interviews have also said that Team Ninja's next game(s) will be revealed this year, and that they will not be related to Ninja Gaiden or Nioh. Meaning... yeah, there's hope. Maybe it's just another Dead or Alive. Maybe they are doing a MUA sequel (unlikely) or FF Dissidia. Or maybe, just maybe, it's FE Warriors 2.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

About that. There is a case to be made for it. Yes, Omega Force has been busy with AoC, Persona 5 Strikers, and DW9 Empires, but they AREN'T Koei Tecmos only Warriors team. Team Ninja is also put on Warriors games from time to time, and they happen to have a clean slate right now since they released Nioh 2 this time last year. They're also the team primarily credited for FE Warriors. Recent interviews have also said that Team Ninja's next game(s) will be revealed this year, and that they will not be related to Ninja Gaiden or Nioh. Meaning... yeah, there's hope. Maybe it's just another Dead or Alive. Maybe they are doing a MUA sequel (unlikely) or FF Dissidia. Or maybe, just maybe, it's FE Warriors 2.

I see. I recall hearing from somewhere that FEW had the same development team as HW, so by that logic I assumed the FEW team was busy making AoC. From my research, FEW was credited to both Omega Force and Team Ninja while AoC was only credited to the former, so I suppose we can get FEW2 this year if you're correct about Team Ninja working on it.

I'm expecting a lot of Persona Strikers coverage. Which I hope is not true because it's not hard to find gameplay footage because it was released in Japan eons ago.

I'm expecting more info on Bravely Default 2 and mayyyybe SMT V. But SMT V news has a habit of being quiet. Atlus likes taking their time.

I think they may tease something with Zelda and FE, but I always get my hopes up for both of these franchises only to get ZILCH. So my expectations are gonna stay low. Or try to. Zelda's 35th anniversary is next week on the 21st and Fire Emblem's having its 30th anniversary this year in April, which isn't too far way. 

If Zelda stuff does happen, the very least I expect is Hyrule Warriors DLC, since some characters were datamined.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

-SMT5, Bayonetta 3, BOTW2, and Metroid Prime 4 are all no shows.

-In fact, No Zelda stuff. Instead, there will be a Zelda anniversary direct for next month. That's where we get the news regarding Age of Calamity DLC, and a disappointing "Zelda All-Stars" compilation, both of which are buried under a new BotW 2 trailer that has less than 10 seconds of actual gameplay and no implied release window within 2021.

The fact that I wouldn't be surprised if any of those games would be no shows, especially Metroid Prime 4.

To me, it would make more sense to make a big deal about Zelda this month since the anniversary is next week, but noooooo. That requires Nintendo to be 100% rational in all its decisions and not be baffling at all. We all know how Nintendo loves surprises.

One thing to remember is that they specifically said this Direct would concentrate on games available now for Switch (with Smash Bros. mentioned), and games coming out in the first half of 2021. I wouldn't expect any fall or winter announcements.

I'm hoping they reveal Crash Bandicoot as the next Smash Bros. fighter. I'm also hoping for some Zelda and Metroid news, and maybe something for Fire Emblem for this summer.

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

One thing to remember is that they specifically said this Direct would concentrate on games available now for Switch (with Smash Bros. mentioned), and games coming out in the first half of 2021. I wouldn't expect any fall or winter announcements.

That said, ever so often Nintendo likes to not stick with their own guidelines. I mean, BotW2 was announced on a E3 direct "focused on games coming out in 2019".

I'm hoping for a May release date for the SMT III remake and a surprise game for June. Preferable more Fire Emblem 😉 

After further thought, here's my predictions.

• The new Smash Bros. DLC character will be Igglybuff, who will be a semiclone of Jigglypuff.
  • To celebrate the anniversary of The Legend of Zelda, three classic games from the franchise will be brought together in a single package. Specifically, the three CD-i games.
  • When Mario 35 goes offline at the end of March, it will be replaced with the all new Ice Climber 36.
  • As an addition to NES Online and SNES online, we're going to start getting access to the games library of another old system. Say hello to Virtual Boy Online (Labo VR compatible).
  • "The sequel to Breath of the Wild wasn't living up to our expectations, so we've taken the difficult decision to restart development. Please accept our apologies."
  • The single longest segment will be devoted to Bravely Default 2 and will contain only information that has already been publicly revealed.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 is being ported to Switch. Don't worry, it runs surprisingly well.
  • New, even more expensive, monthly pass for Mario Kart Tour.

I hope to get a bit more information about Shin Megami Tensei V.

A 3D Kirby game for Switch would be a dream, but seriously if this ever happens, I rather suspect for his 35 anniversary next year.

Same goes for announcing Bandana Waddle Dee as next new character in Smash Ultimate.

Nah, overall not too excited, but simply because I have so many games yet to play.

If they add any system for the online service, I hope it'll be anything other than Nintendo 64. I don't think there's anything left on that system that I want to play.

That system and it's early 3D graphics aged the most out of all of them. Even basic Gameboy wouldn't look as bad.

GBA is what I would wish for. 

My hope is that we get an announcement for a FE 4 and FE 5 remake bundle which includes both games. It’s going to be FE 4’s 25th anniversary this year and we’ve been getting a lot of characters from both games in recent Heroes.

13 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

The fact that I wouldn't be surprised if any of those games would be no shows, especially Metroid Prime 4.

Seeing that it has been almost a year and a half since the last Direct of its type, I just think many people have forgotten how generally disappointing these tend to be when it's not for E3 or hyping up the games they've saved up for the holiday season. Even at 50 minutes, it's best to keep expectations in check

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Seeing that it has been almost a year and a half since the last Direct of its type, I just think many people have forgotten how generally disappointing these tend to be when it's not for E3 or hyping up the games they've saved up for the holiday season. Even at 50 minutes, it's best to keep expectations in check

Wasn't the last big one in September or am I misrembering? Regardless, you were correct about all the no shows lol

Here we go!

Spoiler

First off we get a trailer of clouds. Then some people on a rig and what looks like Xenoblade. Something about Pyra, no idea what's going on, looks like an epilogue. Didn't realise British accents, but hey. Then Pyra gets added to Smash (AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA RIP REX) and we get her montage. I thought there was a sequel story, but no. Then Mythra shows up as well (WHAT.) and they can switch (DAMMIT WHY NOT FOR THE 3H LORDS?), we get the montage, good for all them. Then Shulk gets an ending cutscene with them and I have no fucking idea what they're on about. They're out March, alright.

Next is a Fall Guys port (RIP Among Us. And Fall Guys.) trailer, for the summer. Then it's Outer Wilds, a game with 22 minutes and rougelike mechanics? Well, you have repeat rounds of the 22 minutes I guess. It's summer too. Next we get a pair of Famicom VN remakes which are murder mysteries, eh. It gets a specific date. After that is Samurai Warriors 5, so another musou in Sengoku. Then it's a remake for Legend of Mana (Hey look, more Mana games), which looks nice at least, though it seems like it's FFTA with the map system and oh no. It's late June and it was PS1, so long time coming? Next is Monster Hunter Rise with monster previews, good for those people. Looks like there's a defence part too. Out late March, with hardware.

Next is Mario Golf (RIP Golden Sun?) getting a Switch title, moving on. On top of that there's a golf race mode (Hey, more interesting than actual golf). June for the golf fans. Then we get a highlight reel, with Tales from the Borderlands (RIP Telltale?), a Capcom Arcade compilation with in game DLC (UGH), Stubbs the Zombie, a game I thought was getting an Xbox rerelease, but hey here it is? Followed by No More Heroes 3, a tournament arc game with a real odd cross genre mix, it's finally here August. Next is Neon White with Steve Blum, an FPS with demons in heaven and card based gameplay (?) and story driven elements? It's out Winter. Next is DC Super Hero Girls and I'm tuning out, no thanks, not a fan. Next up it's PvZ (the shooter, not the tower defence (RIP)) getting a Switch Port for mid March. Miitopia happens (OH MY WORD IT'S ALIVE). I might actually consider this, my niece loved the port and it's more customisable, so that's something to consider after May. Next is ACNH getting Mario stuff, ok.

Then there's a scales, multicoloured flames and something called HD-2D series with a bunch of cutscenes that looks like more detailed Octopath (Turns out it is!), with a game called Triangle Strategy (not final title) in a world warring over Salt (Also Iron, hush you), then there's a combat description that looks like FFT and it's fellow titles in the genre. Looks pretty neat and I see it's trying to supplant FE in gameplay and choice and I can hear some of us ready to go for this already. It's not out till next year, but there's a demo (Alright, alright, let's see what we can make of it). Then there's a Star Wars game with a coliseum called Star Wars Hunters with no details beyond it being a FTP shooter. Then there's an EA game with crossing over characters of different styles called Knockout City that's another TPS with competitive as it's focus but it's focused on a ball being used for combat that's out May. Then there's a game called World's End Club, made by the Danganronpa people? But it's not a death game, just everyone trying to deal with the end of the world that they missed. *shrug. Then there's a physical release for Hades including some media for the game out in March. Next it's Ninja Gaiden getting a Switch release. The 3D ones. Alright, I guess someone had to try and bring it back? Then there's AoC content, with next to no visual evidence but it's an Expansion Pass.

Then there's the reel, with BDII sticking to February, that Ghosts 'n' Goblins game (With Co-Op?), SaGa Frontier (Well, there's a SaGa game now. With new stuff) in April, Apex Legends (March) and that's the reel. Then we get a long announcement with Aonuma, with him apologising for BotW not showing up this time and then showing another LoZ game. It's Skyward Sword finally getting a new port (Never played it far, might consider?), okay. So, it's a 10th anniversary, with the Joy-Cons confirmed to work like the Wiimotes. OKAY. It's also got button controls (Please give lefites a chance too?), with a stick taking the role of the motion controls. It's out July, with joycons for it too. Hell, he acknowledges how different BotW is as well as the overlaps that are there too. Then we get the last announcement, with a desert cliff panning along to more Splatoon, only it's a desert wasteland? And you get customisation on the character and a partner. Looks like it's a single player game? With survival? Probably not with the train. The two get on and they come to some other city and then it's revealed as Splatoon 3 (There we go). It looks like there's a Fortnite-esque entry to the map, crab robots and there was a bow. But that's next year.

TLDR: Xeno stans getting to Smash, news of titles we knew were coming with no new delays, Mario Golf returns, Octopath getting a strategy title (Don't forget demo right now, please let this be the beginning) and Skyward Sword got a rerelease, should have expected that.

No FE/Pokemon, RIP my expectations. At least Pokemon has 10 days until something likely will happen. FE has no hints, Metroid Prime was also left alone and Golden Sun fans are dead right now.

Edited by Dayni

😮 at the skyward sword HD and the joycons!

Kinda felt meh about everything else. Except maybe the Triangle something or other turn based game. That looks neat.

The only bit I cared for was the Mario items in Animal Crossing. Splatoon 3 was okay, but it means that it'll have had three games in seven years (and probably should just have been DLC for Splatoon 2). At least the Smash DLC was actually a Nintendo character this time (still no new Zelda reps, by the way), but we have yet another anime swords user. Also, Skyward Sword.🤮

Overall, I'd give it a 1/10.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Most excited about Triangle Strategy. Reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics a bit. It looks like some of your choices do affect the story so I'm excited to partake in the Saltiron War.

I like the art style too, can't wait to see more of the cast and the job system.

Well, that was disappointing overall. Very little of it caught my eye, and most of the stuff that did left me either concerned or disappointed:

Age of Calamity expansion pass: Those who know me know I've been vocally critical of the false-advertising that surrounded the game. So, when it showed Age of Calamity, a small part of me had just a little bit of hope for an acknowledging of the false advertising, and when it instead said the game would have an expansion pass, a small part of me thought, "Maybe that'll have an original timeline campaign or something like that." Nope; I read through what the expansion pass contains, and while the stuff there will probably make someone who enjoyed the game happy, it won't make me buy the game.

Skyward Sword HD: This actually got me somewhat hyped; especially when they started talking about the ways in which they took the original version's motion controls into consideration and the options that the players will have. However, there's just one thing that the options they mentioned didn't address, and it was the thing that kept me from buying the original version: what if, like both me and Link in every single Zelda game before Skyward Sword, you're left-handed? No left-handed option means I'm out, which is a shame, as I'm a Zelda fan and it feels like all Nintendo's been doing lately is make me more and more unwilling to play the games, when playing the Zelda games is exactly what I want to do!

I suppose it's possible that the game will have a left-handed option, but them not mentioning it in the direct means it probably isn't there.

The only thing that didn't disappoint was the stuff for Monster Hunter Rise. I imagine I would've been even more excited if I was already a Monster Hunter fan, but seeing new information about the game was still neat. 

Oh, and I guess that Triangle Tactical RPG looks like it might be interesting. It looks like the environment and flanking and such will be important and that's certainly neat. The choices mattering for how the story plays out seems interesting, but the way they described it made me concerned that it'll end up being rather overcomplicated. 

8 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Most excited about Triangle Strategy. Reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics a bit. It looks like some of your choices do affect the story so I'm excited to partake in the Saltiron War.

I like the art style too, can't wait to see more of the cast and the job system.

Octopath Strateger does indeed look good. 

Everything else, not so much.

I am so so sooo excited for Triangle Strategy, aka Octopath Fire Emblem. Highlight of the direct right there.

Skyward Sword without motion controls and on switch is fantastic. I’m hyped for that as well. More hyped for Triangle Strategy, but Skyward Sword was second best.

Next, those famicom mystery games looked cool. I’m unfamiliar with them, had never heard of them before now, but they look neat. I’ll look into them when there is more info.

The fact that they’re putting another story mode in a Mario sports game is hilarious.

Splatoon 3 looks pretty good from the tiny bit we saw, I love some splatoon. I’m not paying for the online service, but hey. What’s nice is nice.

Pyra and Mythra will make a lot of Xenoblade fans happy, so I appreciate them. I think they’re popular. Congrats Xenoblade fans!

And that’s everything I had an opinion on. This direct gets 11/10 for Triangle Strategy and Skyward Sword.

But seriously, Triangle Strategy looks so good, despite the bad name. So good!!

Edited by Sooks

4 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Feels like Nintendo is just pretending FE doesb't exist now

it's supposed to be this big franchise now apparently but can't even get a nice filler title like idk, Warriors 2?

Doesn't mean it isn't happening. May just not be ready for the reveal. I remember the hype cycle for Warriors 1 being months long with individual character reveals and such.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

5 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Feels like Nintendo is just pretending FE doesb't exist now

it's supposed to be this big franchise now apparently but can't even get a nice filler title like idk, Warriors 2?

That's an overreaction if I've ever seen one. It could be as simple as IS not having anything to show yet. And the FEW team is working on AoC DLC.

Starts out with Xenoblade stuff. I immediately let out an audible "NO!" hoping it would just be dlc for their own game or something and not related to Smash, but alas, my fears were realized. Not even including Rex lmao. I haven't played the game but I guess he's apparently hated? Even by Sakurai it seems. Don't really care either way but disappointing start.

Triangle Strategy is what I'm looking forward to the most. Octopath Traveler graphics with Tactics gameplay? Sign me up!

Mario Golf looked interesting. I'm intrigued by the return of what seems to be a competent story mode but Golf in general is just boring to me. Would've like something like that for Aces more instead of the awful one it actually ended up with.

Famicom Detective seems interesting? Idk anything about it but I like a good mystery so hopefully it delivers. Only thing I didn't like was the graphics looks kinda cheap but mostly I just wish they kept the 90s anime look because I'm in love with that style.

Spoiler

FgKyRUT.png

Great to finally see some more NMH3 info. Was beginning to worry about it but it's looking pretty good.

Skyward Sword HD port is ok. I was actually thinking Zelda might be getting another port soon. Kinda wish they would've gone back to older games like they did with Link's Awakening (Minish Cap or Oracle games would be amazing) but I guess this is fine.

No FEW2 is huge disappointment. Instead it's Samurai Warriors 5 and AoC dlc, which I couldn't really get into so don't care for the new content.

No FE anything actually. Was really hoping for a remake right about now but I guess it's not happening anytime soon.

Splatoon 3 is eh? At first I kinda thought it might be focused on single player or something different but it's just more of the same. I don't really see the point of a new one when the 2 already exists on Switch. Maybe if it was for a console leap like the case between 1st and 2nd were then it would've made sense but it just seems redundant.

Overall pretty bad imo but there were a few titles that grabbed my attention and have me hyped.