After a Couple of Weeks with the 4* Special Rate, how do you feel about it and what have you pulled?

Jave

I quite like it. I was a bit disappointed to see nothing on all the tickets they gave us when it first dropped, but I hit it a good few times while sparking for Erinys(Tana, Mia, Elincia, and BCelica to be precise). It's a fun mechanic and doesn't harm anything, it's a great addition.

It's pretty cool.  I mean, it's a really good addition don't get me wrong, but it's hard to be super excited about getting an old unit that doesn't give me anything I need, but it at least gives variety to rolling which matters a lot.  And maybe someday I'll get a merge of someone I really like, so the extra chance is appreciated, plus there is still some really good fodder in the pool from back then.

So far I've gotten Ryoma, Flora, normal Celica, Ishtar and Katarina so I think this new feature has treated me well.

EDIT: After looking at the skills of these units, yeah, I REALLY like this feature.

Edited by Sayyyaka

11 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

It's pretty cool.  I mean, it's a really good addition don't get me wrong, but it's hard to be super excited about getting an old unit that doesn't give me anything I need, but it at least gives variety to rolling which matters a lot.  And maybe someday I'll get a merge of someone I really like, so the extra chance is appreciated, plus there is still some really good fodder in the pool from back then.

So far I've gotten Ryoma, Flora, normal Celica, Ishtar and Katarina so I think this new feature has treated me well.

EDIT: After looking at the skills of these units, yeah, I REALLY like this feature.

For the record, Flora is still in the main 5* pool, not the 4* special one.

One nice thing is that even if you don't care about the old units, taking them completely out of the regular 5* pool means better odds of pulling the new ones. (They'd already left the regular 5* pool on major banners, but not on revival banners, so revival banners are the ones now improved in that regard.)

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

For the record, Flora is still in the main 5* pool, not the 4* special one.

One nice thing is that even if you don't care about the old units, taking them completely out of the regular 5* pool means better odds of pulling the new ones. (They'd already left the regular 5* pool on major banners, but not on revival banners, so revival banners are the ones now improved in that regard.)

Oh wow, I could've sworn Flora was gen 2.  But she was right after CYL huh

That and also it takes away from the non-5* percentage.  While I do like getting merges for projects, I'll sacrifice a bit of percentage of the 4* pool so I can get something a bit more interesting than the endless waves of Stahls, Arthurs and Rodericks.

2 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Oh wow, I could've sworn Flora was gen 2.  But she was right after CYL huh

That and also it takes away from the non-5* percentage.  While I do like getting merges for projects, I'll sacrifice a bit of percentage of the 4* pool so I can get something a bit more interesting than the endless waves of Stahls, Arthurs and Rodericks.

Gen 3 stats didn't start until February 2019, so Flora is considered Gen 2.

And yeah, it certainly keeps things more interesting.

So far, CYL Ike, CYL Hector, and Leo from the Legendary Hero Remix banner. Pretty happy about it since merge for Ike and finally got CYL Hector (an overpowered unit) and Leo (the only 5*-exclusive launch unit I had yet to pull at the time) for the first time.

You know, giving it some thought it's a little ironic...

Legendary and Mythic heroes have "special" animations for when they're summoned, and a lot of heroes, seasonals and fallen heroes especially, have a bunch of wispy effects that give them the illusion of something cool going on when they're summoned, but now here we have 4* special summons with unique summoning animations, all of whom are Book 1 and Book 2 units who by this point are really not that special or even in most cases good.

But they have a starlit background and everything, meanwhile new units now... they don't have anything special aside from 5 golden stars when summoned.

7 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

You know, giving it some thought it's a little ironic...

Legendary and Mythic heroes have "special" animations for when they're summoned, and a lot of heroes, seasonals and fallen heroes especially, have a bunch of wispy effects that give them the illusion of something cool going on when they're summoned, but now here we have 4* special summons with unique summoning animations, all of whom are Book 1 and Book 2 units who by this point are really not that special or even in most cases good.

But they have a starlit background and everything, meanwhile new units now... they don't have anything special aside from 5 golden stars when summoned.

I'm kind of hoping they'll eventually redo the summoning animations. All these years in, I still can't tell if there's even an animation difference between the smoke cloud for 4 star and 5 star until the unit's picture shows up.

55 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm kind of hoping they'll eventually redo the summoning animations. All these years in, I still can't tell if there's even an animation difference between the smoke cloud for 4 star and 5 star until the unit's picture shows up.

I've been wondering about that. Is there a difference?

1 hour ago, Othin said:

I've been wondering about that. Is there a difference?

There isn't. I've looked for ages, but there is not a single difference between summoning a 4* and a 5*.

Pretty sure plenty of other gacha games make it obvious when you do. Dragalia Lost springs to mind, since they have like three different cues for when you summon a 5* adventurer or dragon.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cloud smoke serves no purpose other than to tell you you're not pulling a 3*. I honestly prefer it that way, as I like the suspense of not knowing until the character appears if I pulled a 5* or not.

31 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Pretty sure plenty of other gacha games make it obvious when you do.

It really depends. Disguising a pull as being lower rarity than it actually is seems to at least be somewhat common.

Monster Hunter Riders will display a goblet in a color that is equal to or less than the rarity of the highest-rarity pull in a set of pulls (including sets of 1), even if no pulls in the set have that rarity. For example, a 5-pull containing a 5-star character and 4 3-star characters can display a 3-star, 4-star, or 5-star goblet, even though none of the pulls are 4-star characters.

Fate/Grand Order animates each pull individually, even when pulling more than one at a time, with an elaborate animation: The summoning orbs will spin and merge into a ring, which will then expand into one or more large rings, which then collapse to reveal the card you pull, which spins displaying its back and face before stopping on its face. If the card is a character, both sides will have the design of the back of the card, which indicates the character's class, and the face is only revealed after the card stops spinning. There are a lot of permutations of this:

• Orbs glow white, 1 ring, reveals Craft Essence (equippable).
  • Orbs glow white, 2 rings, reveals Command Code (equippable).
  • Orbs glow white, 3 rings, shows card with black back, reveals 0-star character.
  • Orbs glow white, 3 rings, shows card with bronze back, reveals 1-star or 2-star character.
  • Orbs glow white, 3 rings, shows card with silver back, reveals 3-star character.
  • Orbs glow white, 3 rings, shows card with silver back, card is zapped by electricity after it stops spinning and turns gold, reveals 4-star or 5-star character. This is the surprise permutation.
  • Orbs glow gold, 3 rings, shows card with gold back, reveals 4-star or 5-star character.
  • Orbs glow rainbow, 3 rings, shows card with gold back, reveals 5-star character.

Genshin Impact will display a white meteor that changes into the color of the highest-rarity pull in a set of pulls (including sets of 1). If you're pulling more than 1 at a time, it is then joined by an additional meteor for each of the other pulls, but the additional meteors will remain white regardless of the rarity of the other pulls.

As for Fire Emblem Heroes, displaying the puff of smoke made more sense back before the 3-star and 4-star summon rates were swapped with each other, as the 4-star summon rate was lower back then, and the puff of smoke was therefore more meaningful. Nowadays, more than half of pulls are 4-star characters, which makes the puff of smoke mostly meaningless, especially since 5-star pulls never had their own indicator.