Fire Emblem and Hardcore Otaku

Ottservia

On 2/25/2021 at 6:19 AM, Jotari said:

I wouldn't say it's recent. Awakening was released nine years ago. If anything I think they took a bit of a step backwards from hard core pandering with Three Houses. The characters designs in that are much more modest, they, very thankfully, didn't shorhorn child units into it (course it was also notoriously rushed, if they did get another year then *shudder* child units might have happened) and even the teacher fetish was dialed back considerably with the direction they took Part 2. Hell they didn't even manage to get the sauna into the original release of the game!...

Awakening/Fates are among 3 most recent (discounting Echoes, which is a remake of a less fanservice heavy game.) Fe games and even then Three Houses still had pandering to the player with Byleth as well as selling Maid Costumes as part of the DLC.

It could go either way, we could end up with Awakening/Fates 2.0 or no obnoxious pandering in the next game or still in the middle ground 3H is, we can't really say for sure any way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Awakening/Fates are among 3 most recent (discounting Echoes, which is a remake of a less fanservice heavy game.) Fe games and even then Three Houses still had pandering to the player with Byleth as well as selling Maid Costumes as part of the DLC.

It could go either way, we could end up with Awakening/Fates 2.0 or no obnoxious pandering in the next game or still in the middle ground 3H is, we can't really say for sure any way.

Well they absolutely could have made Echoes way more fan servicy than it was. It being a remake of a preexisting game didn't obligate them to do anything. Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Warriors, while not mainstream games made by IS, are indictive of the series target audience (in fact, maybe it was Tokyo Mirage Sessions's weak reaction that prompted them to dial it back a bit in Three Houses).

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well they absolutely could have made Echoes way more fan servicy than it was. It being a remake of a preexisting game didn't obligate them to do anything. Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Warriors, while not mainstream games made by IS, are indictive of the series target audience (in fact, maybe it was Tokyo Mirage Sessions's weak reaction that prompted them to dial it back a bit in Three Houses).

TMS had a lot of other things going against. Namely that for the FE trappings it has, those aren't a ton of FE, the FE aspect could've been integrated more strongly. (Keep in mind, I like TMS.)

Also, Warriors is not exactly "anime". There are anime pretty boys and cute & sexy ladies aplenty, but Musou has a lite history appeal as well, both of the mainlines franchises being based on history. And there is that classic Musou catharsis of power as you cleave through hundreds of enemies, which has a certain anime appeal perhaps, but it's very separate from pixel lust.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

TMS had a lot of other things going against. Namely that for the FE trappings it has, those aren't a ton of FE, the FE aspect could've been integrated more strongly. (Keep in mind, I like TMS.)

Also, Warriors is not exactly "anime". There are anime pretty boys and cute & sexy ladies aplenty, but Musou has a lite history appeal as well, both of the mainlines franchises being based on history. And there is that classic Musou catharsis of power as you cleave through hundreds of enemies, which has a certain anime appeal perhaps, but it's very separate from pixel lust.

I never said Warriors was pandering, just that it should be part of the consideration even though it's not part of the main series. Warriors fanservice is less to do with Otaku (which spell corrects to Italy on my phone!?) pandering and more to do with elevating the newer entries over the older ones (minus Archanea).

Edited by Jotari

On 2/28/2021 at 7:34 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd say Warriors is exactly anime. Its more based on history than its Basara counterpart and its get certain events and even random trivia correct as far as history goes, but everything is still incredibly anime. Even with all historical deeds and gimmicks incorporated into the characters they're almost all based on standard anime stereotypes. And when the writing team has to make a choice between history and anime they typically pick anime. This is best shown with Nobunaga who in the latest game had all the traits that made him Nobunaga removed and replaced with the typical shonen anime desire for a rival who could ''surpass'' him. 

But aside from characters like Nobunaga and Naotora being sacrificed on the anime altar I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Its incredibly anime and if you sprinkle that with a little bit of history then the result is actually quite charming. 

58 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd say Warriors is exactly anime. Its more based on history than its Basara counterpart and its get certain events and even random trivia correct as far as history goes, but everything is still incredibly anime. Even with all historical deeds and gimmicks incorporated into the characters they're almost all based on standard anime stereotypes. And when the writing team has to make a choice between history and anime they typically pick anime. This is best shown with Nobunaga who in the latest game had all the traits that made him Nobunaga removed and replaced with the typical shonen anime desire for a rival who could ''surpass'' him. 

But aside from characters like Nobunaga and Naotora being sacrificed on the anime altar I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Its incredibly anime and if you sprinkle that with a little bit of history then the result is actually quite charming. 

You do have a point. Perhaps I was making too much of the unnecessary historical spieling it does, and setting the prettyboys and the girls too far into a corner away from the rest of the cast.

I commented on Nobunaga elsewhere. Has Musou done an otome spinoff yet? Gracia looks a little better, but the sacrifices to No and Nobunaga are 🤨 from me right now. (Yes, Nobunaga's visual design was getting stale, but this is likely to go a bit too far.) But, at the very least, I am absolutely certain Ieyasu is going to be shafted and be the one guy who doesn't get Bishonen'ed. Yes, Katsuie Shibata and Yoshihiro Shimazu may go bishie (Yoshihiro deserves it, the Shimazu forever!), but Koei will never do anything to "improve" the final unifier until SW6 turns out to be a quarrel between Mitsunari and Ieyasu over who was really Bishiyoshi's best friend.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

In SW5 they seem to have Bishoned him. 

SAMURAI WARRIORS 5 | Ieyasu Tokugawa

🤯

I can't believe it. This will be an otome. He looks like Ranmaru.

I mean, the game is still on my radar, mostly because I don't have a whole lot else right now, but... yeah. I want the oldies available in some capacity. Wonder if young Ieyasu will go by his original name "Something" Matsudaira, apparently he didn't take up Ieyasu until a few years after joining Nobunaga.

-But this is enough deviation from a topic about FE! Point has been made, Musou is anime, FEW is anime, FE is anime.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Feel indifferent about the target audience which Fire Emblem currently goes after. All media tries to reach a certain audience and will design the product to reach that audience, which can be distracting ones you notice it. Even something like Climax (a movie that's entirely about dancers tripping on LSD), a movie that seems designed to alienate certain audiences also tries to reach a certain demographic. 

The most important thing for me is that I enjoy it. Thracia 776 & Three Houses both appeal to a different demographic (of course there is overlap) but I still like them both. My reason for disliking Fates isn't because it panders to otakus, it's because I found the story often aimless & terribly written, the maps often gimmicky and the character underdeveloped within the story. I'm also not the biggest fan of Path of Radiance despite it's problems not being the same as Fates'. 

What I do think however is that pandering often draws more attention to the already existing problems (for me at least). If Fates was more toned down I would most likely not notice the problems as quickly. But I would also have forgotten the game more quickly. Blazing Sword to me has many of the same problems as Fates but due to it feeling calmer when it comes to fanservice I don't notice them as quickly and just kind of forgot the game as a whole. In that way one could argue that the pandering was actually benecifial because at least I didn't forget it (unlike fe7, fe8, fe9 & fe15 which also had equally big problems but didn't leave a impression on me at all). I will always remember Fates as that one Otaku Fire Emblem game with Pokemon Amie. 

Long story short: Don't really care as long as the game is good but if it isn't good, might as well shove in as much fanservice as possible so I at least remember something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My impression is that Fates tries desperately to charm you but without any real depth behind it. I don't like that but some people do and their preferences aren't beneath mine. It's all equal. I'm just saying that I don't like it.

Edited by tacticsfan999