Skyward Sword HD & Handedness in Gaming

vanguard333

@Glennstavos The Switch doesn't have a pointer; the IR thing you're talking about is a depth-tracking sensor that's used for reading objects and motions in front of the remote. Any gameplay mechanic that used the pointer for the Wii is done using the gyro on the Switch, and both joy-cons have a gyro and an accelerometer. In other words, every part of the motion controls from Skyward Sword could easily get mapped to either joy-con. It also means that there was no excuse for Super Mario Galaxy to only allow the use of the right joy-con's gyro for the pointer controls.

EDIT: Sorry; this should've been an edit, not a second post. Can someone please delete this second post?

Edited by vanguard333

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 11:36 PM, Guill0 said:

I think it would be great for 2 things: it would be better for some of the "high precision puzzles" and for a better identification with Link (it would be great if he was doing the same movement as me instead of being a weird mirror version) 

edit: Oh and keeping one of the few left-handed heroes as a left-handed

I remember the left handed mode but it was still rough as #### as the mode changed near nothing he still fought right handed the controls were rather clunky (more so than the eighty mode I should say and let's not start on the bow or beedle) now being ambidextrous but with a strong tendency for my left due to playing LOZ all my life I must say not only was I hurt deeply having learned swordplay and all my practiced combat styles as a lefty but even as a child I was berated in kindergarten to and I quote "stop switching hands all the time all the class and I as your teacher are beyond uncomfortable pick one and use that leave the weird s### for after school" so I thought about it and decided to use the hand of my hero next to someone who died shortly after so not only was it learning to adapt to the clunky controls but rewriting a hefty amount of basic techniques was it impossible no not at all but it hurt deeply and almost had me stop playing zelda for a long while so yeah not too happy with their choice and just got the game today was hoping they fixed the issue but gfdi Nintendo (still cant wait to play it and give my gf her first SS experience as she never had the wii so I'll deal I guess)

7 hours ago, Error_404 said:

I remember the left handed mode but it was still rough as #### as the mode changed near nothing he still fought right handed the controls were rather clunky (more so than the eighty mode I should say and let's not start on the bow or beedle) now being ambidextrous but with a strong tendency for my left due to playing LOZ all my life I must say not only was I hurt deeply having learned swordplay and all my practiced combat styles as a lefty but even as a child I was berated in kindergarten to and I quote "stop switching hands all the time all the class and I as your teacher are beyond uncomfortable pick one and use that leave the weird s### for after school" so I thought about it and decided to use the hand of my hero next to someone who died shortly after so not only was it learning to adapt to the clunky controls but rewriting a hefty amount of basic techniques was it impossible no not at all but it hurt deeply and almost had me stop playing zelda for a long while so yeah not too happy with their choice and just got the game today was hoping they fixed the issue but gfdi Nintendo (still cant wait to play it and give my gf her first SS experience as she never had the wii so I'll deal I guess)

Wow; you had a teacher that bad? Yikes.

By the way, I have a new topic about this (it's called "Nintendo Switch, Motion Controls, and Handedness in Gaming"), as this topic kind-of died (it hadn't been replied to in over a month and was no longer on the first page of this forum). Could you please reply to that topic instead?

Edited by vanguard333