Mastery Skills

What about Kieran? He's pretty awesome. Take gamble off of him and give him Sol.

Somehow, he never really turns out that good for me, so I don't use him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't exactly fully heal them. Since it takes 2 hits to kill, you'll still have to heal in the long run anyway. And it takes 3 or so without an axe/mod weapon.
It won't, but they'll survive long enough to be healed thanks to it. Assuming they're about to die in the first place.
And to that end, healing more with a staff is free XP+ more HP healed. At the loss of a turn at WORST in the long run.
how does staff xp ftw = sol fails?
Generals generally can't double, the Knight Ward isn't *that* exclusive, and only Adept can give you a better chance to kill than Luna. You'll still OHKO most things with a modded Silver Lance, high strength, and a Luna activation.
If you're assuming modded weapon for generals, assume them for the Paladins too, so now almost for sure Paladins are one-rounding almost everything and even OHKOing on occasion. That means massive HP gains upon Sol activation. VERY NICE /borat

Luna activation gets Generals up to the same killing rate as other good units, not beyond. Sol gets units already at an excellent kill rate to a near-perfect survival rate. Though I could see how you could say Luna is more valuable, then, because it helps make meh units decent while Sol makes great units greater.

It won't, but they'll survive long enough to be healed thanks to it. Assuming they're about to die in the first place.

how does staff xp ftw = sol fails?

If you're assuming modded weapon for generals, assume them for the Paladins too, so now almost for sure Paladins are one-rounding almost everything and even OHKOing on occasion. That means massive HP gains upon Sol activation. VERY NICE /borat

Luna activation gets Generals up to the same killing rate as other good units, not beyond. Sol gets units already at an excellent kill rate to a near-perfect survival rate. Though I could see how you could say Luna is more valuable, then, because it helps make meh units decent while Sol makes great units greater.

Yeah, the Paladins are too good in this game. They don't even need Sol but it just helps them survive a little better, which they have no problem doing anyways. I usually give Sol to Oscar, Kieran, or Titania depending on who I think needs it most.

Generals are good with brave weapons and Luna is definately not wasted on them. Halberdiers could use Luna too cause they're not as strong as some of the others. Out of those two classes, I only use Gatrie and Nephenee and only one of them gets Luna (usually Gatrie).

i like giving Aether to Ike, Sol to Mist and Oscar, and the final one varies depending on my playthrough.

it usually goes to Mia or Nephenee, depending on the other skills i give them

If you send Volke into combat a lot, try Lethality. If you use the Hawks, try Cancel.

Lethality is useless. It's activation rate is probably in the single digits. What use is an occult skill that never activates (other than wasting your precious occult on one of the worst mastery skills)?

Lethality is useless. It's activation rate is probably in the single digits. What use is an occult skill that never activates (other than wasting your precious occult on one of the worst mastery skills)?
They aren't really all that precious.
^ That helps.

And though Lethality won't get a much higher activation rate than 10%, it's still helpful if you use Volke to fight. Likely to instant kill one in five enemies isn't horrible for a unit that often can't one-round.

I usually give Deadeye to Rolf since that's a good skill. Also, Ike and Aether is a given. As for the other two Occult scrolls, I have a bad habit of missing them... :(

Do you know them? Which ones do you get?

Also, Deadeye is cool but...a pretty big waste of 20 skill points. :( I like to put Gamble on Rolf. Works well with his personal bow.

^ That helps.

And though Lethality won't get a much higher activation rate than 10%, it's still helpful if you use Volke to fight. Likely to instant kill one in five enemies isn't horrible for a unit that often can't one-round.

Do you know them? Which ones do you get?

Also, Deadeye is cool but...a pretty big waste of 20 skill points. :( I like to put Gamble on Rolf. Works well with his personal bow.

A mastery that never activates is a wasted mastery.

As for Gamble, bleh. I was always in the camp where trading hit for critical was generally a bad idea.

A mastery that never activates is a wasted mastery.
10%=/=Never. One in five enemies, assuming Volke is double attacking them all, which he almost always does. Plus, his skill passes 20 pretty early, so it'll be a little higher.

Frequent? No. Worth it? Debatable. A wasted Occult? Nah, especially since most Mastery skills suck.

As for Gamble, bleh. I was always in the camp where trading hit for critical was generally a bad idea.
It is generally a bad idea, but Snipers and Swordmasters both are high accuracy, high critical classes, so it can prove useful against enemies like Generals. The best part is it's a choice skill, and my Snipers rarely get anything else to fill up their capacity so it's no loss to me. Edited by YokaiKnight

10%=/=Never. One in five enemies, assuming Volke is double attacking them all, which he almost always does. Plus, his skill passes 20 pretty early, so it'll be a little higher.

Frequent? No. Worth it? Debatable. A wasted Occult? Nah, especially since most Mastery skills suck.

It is generally a bad idea, but Snipers and Swordmasters both are high accuracy, high critical classes, so it can prove useful against enemies like Generals. The best part is it's a choice skill, and my Snipers rarely get anything else to fill up their capacity so it's no loss to me.

Since Stilettos aren't buyable until late in the game (Chapter 27 IIRC) and there are only 2 before then and Daggers have no critical boost, it's actually going to be lower than that. Also, this isn't FE7 where enemies have no luck, so for Lethality to NOT have a single-digit chance of activation, Volke needs 20 Crit on the enemy, which is never happening. Lethality is Awesome But Impractical, sorry.

I don't really see it as useful when the odds of success are 50% at best.

Sol doesn't help her kill. >__>

but it makes her heal without wasting a turn.

i said a combination of Mist + Magic Sword + Sol, not Mist + Sol.

at least it always helps me use Mist better, since i don't have to worry about healing her. that makes me concentrate more on the killing foes and healing allies thing.

Since Stilettos aren't buyable until late in the game (Chapter 27 IIRC) and there are only 2 before then and Daggers have no critical boost, it's actually going to be lower than that. Also, this isn't FE7 where enemies have no luck, so for Lethality to NOT have a single-digit chance of activation, Volke needs 20 Crit on the enemy, which is never happening. Lethality is Awesome But Impractical, sorry.
OHHHHH SHIT my bad. I just checked SF, and Lethality indeed is Critical/2, NOT Skill/2 like I thought it was. You're totally right--the activation rate is pretty pathetic, half-critical and then subtract luck. My bad again. :lol:

Damn Volke's probably never getting Lethality again.

I don't really see it as useful when the odds of success are 50% at best.
They're not--it halves the unit's hit rate before subtracting enemy avoid. When I have Rolf use Gamble against Knights and Generals (e.g. Chapter 20's Knights), his hit rate is 55-60%.
but it makes her heal without wasting a turn.
Cool for survival and all if you put her in a dangerous situation, but Sol doesn't do increased damage so she doesn't kill better.
i said a combination of Mist + Magic Sword + Sol, not Mist + Sol.
I never said anything about magic swords because they DO make her a much better fighter.
at least it always helps me use Mist better, since i don't have to worry about healing her. that makes me concentrate more on the killing foes and healing allies thing.
I usually have Fortify by the time Mist is magic-swording stuff, so it doesn't affect me too much. To each his own I guess.

Aether -> Unless you're willing to wait for Wrath/Resolve, this and Provoke is all Ike needs. MUST HAVE.

Astra -> Meh. Swordmasters are better off with Adept or Wrath. Pass.

Boon -> Very helpful if you forgot a Restore staff in Chapter 29 and Endgame. Keep, since it's already there.

Blessing -> Reyson's already got it. It's pretty nice, though. Keep, since it's already there.

Cancel -> I don't use the hawks much, and Tibarn is around for too brief a time to really make use of this. Pass.

Colossus -> Boyd already deals lots of damage, he doesn't need this. He's better off with Adept or Wrath. Pass.

Deadeye -> Snipers should be scoring criticals on enemies, not putting them to sleep! Pass.

Flare -> I don't use mages to attack a whole lot, and Occult can be put to better use. I'd rather have Soren keep Adept. Pass.

Lethality -> If only Volke scored criticals more. Pass.

Luna -> Decent skill for Generals and Halberdiers, and cool to watch. Defense-piercing is a nice touch as well. First time I used this I stuck it on Brom, with good results. Keep.

Roar -> Why stun an enemy when you can kill it? Pass.

Sol -> Great skill for Paladins, who are already pretty godly in this game. I always stick two of my Occults on Oscar and Kieran. For Mist, I'll pass. She's better off healing anyway. MUST HAVE for Oscar and Kieran. Pass for Mist.

Stun -> Not exactly great. You might as well just kill the enemy rather than stun it. Pass.

Vortex -> I never use Naesala in the last battle, but I suppose it can be useful. Keep, since it's already there.

Vortex -> I never use Naesala in the last battle, but I suppose it can be useful. Keep, since it's already there.

It isn't very useful. There are no flying units except for Ashnard, but he isn't counted, so Naesala gets no bonus damage.

I guess he could use it against Bryce and the two other generals, since he can attack from two spaces away and since generals have low resistance, but since it's a skill, he cannot attack twice.

Vortex might suck, but at least you can control when you want to use it. :(

Anyway, I give one occult to Ike and the others to whoever I feel like (usually my Paladins). Mastery skills are kind of neat, but I don't particularly care for most of them.

It isn't very useful. There are no flying units

There's two on Hard. :) (It's still useless.)

Anyway, I only give out Aether and Sol (all Paladins get Sol, except for when I'm training Astrid because she keeps Paragon), because they're very expensive and often not that great. <_<