Blue Lions ch 13 advice please :(

Hello. So 30ish hours in and I've hit the brick wall that is chapter 13 maddening. I'm on casual so honestly could let units die but the issue is all my units die. What I'm working with is a level 25 Dimitri equipped who was working his way to being a wyvern lord and a level 29. Byleth working her way to being a flacon knight or wyvern lord. Dimitri has the dlc chalice, alert stance (how i wish I'd managed to get to A+ flying), lv 3 or 4 axes, ad death blow. Byleth has alert stance, darting stance, death blow, sword and lance 3 or 4. For the rest of my house about 3/4 are mains between lv 20-23 and the others are basically cannon fodder. The problem is neither Byleth or Dimitri can last without Mercedes healing but they can't kill fast enough to get over to the side and save them. Any suggestions on strategy would be great since I don't have any backups of this run and don't really have the time or will to hard reset. Thanks in advance.  

Ahh the classic softlocking map. I'd like to know more of what you have available too. The most I can say right now is Swordbreaker, Alert Stance, and Training Lance on Dimitri in the forest tile. If he gets hit use an Elixir/Concoction to get him back in range of his personal skill. Then use his battalion when a good number of enemies are surrounding him. This is all pretty RNG especially with the Snipers and Grapplers, but what can you do. I'm assuming your Byleth is a Flier so hopefully you can hit and run a couple of things.

There is a video here that shows some low investment builds to clear the map, but you have to have the right setup, which might be an issue. Look and see if this is helpful:

Spoiler

Really, there's not much you can do. A lot of the strategies that make that map tolerable require preparations to be done in Chapter 12 and may even require entire of chapters of preparations before hand to work. 

That being said, there are a couple things you should know. First thing to know is that the enemy AI in the starting area attacks in two groups, split between the north and south. Specifically, if any enemy with a battalion is in range, every single enemy in that group will come after you. Additionally, if a enemy steps into the range of another enemy in a different group, it will also cause everyone in that different group to come after you. 

With that in mind, if you give Dimitri the +1 Movement Ring, he can reach the thicket next to southren Thief which will delay the northern group moving for a turn. That might ease the rate if the enemies you can take if you can defeat them fast enough. 

If you have a flying Byleth with Reposition, you can actually use it to shove Dimitri through the northern wall in the starting area and fight the northern group. Nice thing about this is that it only aggro's the northern group, as none of them walk into southren groups.  

As for actually surviving the waves of enemies, there's nothing that can be done except to pray that Dimtri dodges the hits coming his way. You can equip shields to try to lessen the damage that way, but that'll most likely backfire since it'll allow the Snipers to most likely double him. 

Other than that, that's pretty much all the advice I can provide. Don't feel bad about being unprepared for this map, it's quite infamous for a reason. Even the Devs themselves admitted it was poorly designed. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

I remember beforehand people were saying the same thing you said. That was why I had to prepare hard for this fight on my maddening run. Makes you wonder what were the devs thinking. Did they not consider the possibility that a player can be soft locked?

1 hour ago, Barren said:

Did they not consider the possibility that a player can be soft locked?

They did, but they just decided not to do anything about it.

To quote:

"Interviewer: The beginning of the story’s second part could vary pretty intensely difficulty-wise, depending on their playstyle and the route they chose.

Yokota: Right. There was some discussion about that, and we concluded that some people would probably get stuck on a certain part, but since it’s Maddening mode there’s not much we could do about it. That’s how we came to how the game is currently balanced."

Which, no matter how you slice it, is complete and utter BS. Especially considering how a small change like giving a Prep Screen for only Byleth and Dimtiri would fix a lot of those cases.

Edited by LoneRecon400

So my younger sister had Dimitri with chalice & Byleth. One thing that helped was abusing a large-range gambit (I like Immortal Corps) that could stun/weaken enemies. Doing so buys you some turns to heal/prepare. That's what helped my sister pull through. It's definitely also possible to get RNG-screwed. Like I had to restart after Byleth got hit consecutively by 4 20% attacks and missed an 85% strike lol.