Pokémon Legends Arceus

Sooks

This was announced today. The video makes it look very... big? Like the open world pokemon everyone dreamed of? People who are more familiar with modern pokemon than I: do you get your hopes up for this? What are your thoughts?

This looks so intriguing. Pokémon is going for something really new. Not entirely new but you catch my drift.

It doesn't look impressive technically speaking (WoP so yeah) but I really want to learn more about it.

And the context, we're in the "medieval" age of Pokémon and in Sinnoh way before what we know of it.

Really, so intriguing.

From what we've seen, I wanna say it's gonna be a far more story driven game compared to standard main series games. And if there was a region to have such a game, Sinnoh was the one. Can't go one town or city without coming across some new myth in that game.

I don't want to get my hopes up though; it looks very experimental and unlikely to go over uncriticized by the less open-minded fans. It probably won't have all the pokemon like Sw/Sh, likely just the ones native to Sinnoh, and it probably is going to feel very empty since this sounds like the "beginning" of Sinnoh 

I wonder what town or city that turns out to be...?

it definitely looks interesting, about time they started exploring the pokemon world's ancient times and lore

i don't like that many pokemon seem to have 3fps animations, and i doubt they'll fix it to a decent degree in time

I'm excited tbh. Pokemon hasn't excited me since pre-X/Y and since playing X/Y it has gone down hill for me since. The D/P remakes and this are certainly helping boost my enthusiasm for the series again (albeit I am quite biased when it comes to Sinnoh so that helps) so I'm excited to see where it goes.

I do hope the graphics and fps improve a bit with Legends, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm also excited to see what they have for us lore wise, especially seeing as Sinnoh is one of the most lore filled regions in the Pokemon universe. Overall, super excited about Legends (and the remakes too)

It's interesting and I can see it having quite the lore (maybe it'll reenact some of the myths you find in the Canalave Library?). The only thing is that I don't know if it's always gonna be the MC vs Wild Pokemon or if it'll have any sort of system for including other trainers...then again, maybe Pokemon Trainer wasn't a thing during that era so it'd be silly to think about that. 

I'm excited on how they're gonna tackle Mt.Coronet, in DPPt that place is a maze that is incredibly difficult to navigate (hence needing like 5 HMs to explore it fully) so seeing it in it's full glory should be quite the sight. I kinda wonder if Spear Pillar will still be a ruin-like place or if it'll be relatively recent. 

As for the DP remakes...well, they look nice but I am slightly disappointed that it's most likely going to be the originals with improved graphics/engine. They didn't even give Lucas/Dawn new clothes and that was what I was looking foward the most...at least with the use of chibis they aren't going to nerf Sinnoh's map into corridors. Gameplay wise, I'm wondering if they're gonna keep Dynamax or if they'll go full classic and add nothing to the remakes to keep them faithful to the originals. 

The Sinnoh region was definitely the perfect region to choose for a game like this one: an open world Pokémon game in a feudal setting, since Sinnoh has a nice varied environment and a lot of history and myth. Even the existence of poke-balls in the time period makes a lot of sense if there's any grain of truth in-setting to that story about a man who cut down Pokémon with a sword. I always wanted to see a Pokémon game that took place in the past as I thought there would be a lot you could do with it, so this is definitely interesting. 

I also definitely like the idea of a more open-world and wild Pokémon game. It's interesting that catching Pokémon seems to be done in real-time rather than using the same turn-based system as the combat.

I wonder what this game will use for progression (outside of filling in the Pokedex). Since it's an open-world game set in the past, traversing the world has a lot of potential, especially if your Pokémon are tied to traversal (but not as something like HM moves), but in a more open and free game like this, what's going to be your objectives? With only one village, presumably there aren't any gyms or elite four or anything like that, and only one village means that everywhere outside it is presumably going to be wild and untamed and almost without human NPCs. I wonder what there is to discover, outside of just more Pokémon. 

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Pokemon: Breath of the Wha-huh??? What purpose does a dodge roll have for a pokemon game?

Catching wild Pokémon seems to be real-time action, so the dodge-roll is probably for that. Personally though, I wish they had gone with a different dodge animation like side-stepping; I've never been a fan of dodge-rolling as it just seemed silly to me. 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Catching wild Pokémon seems to be real-time action, so the dodge-roll is probably for that. 

Yeah but wild pokemon don't attack humans. That's a pretty core tenet of the lore. Now I'm wondering what happens when you die in pokemon.

why is it that so many people (not here) in 2021 still don't know the difference between "remaster" and "remake"
these games are remakes, plain and simple, no doubt about this

if we want to be more specific, these games are "shot-for-shot" remakes, which means that these are completely new games but try to be as faithful to the original games as possible
another example of shot-for-shot remake is the Crash N.Sane Trilogy

16 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah but wild pokemon don't attack humans. That's a pretty core tenet of the lore.

Oh, true. Maybe it's for dodging environmental stuff (like a falling tree) or some sort of non-Pokemon enemy. 

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Now I'm wondering what happens when you die in pokemon.

Probably: "Your Pokémon carried you back to the village, where your injuries were tended to" or something like that.

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Probably: "Your Pokémon carried you back to the village, where your injuries were tended to" or something like that.

Oh, the memes people would make of that depending on your party...

Interesting concept they are going for with Pokemon Legends Arceus. I'm curious to see where they go with it and look forward to more news on it in the future.

For the D/P remakes so far it looks like a straight port but I wonder about some things such as I'm hoping they use Platinum's Pokedex (seeing Porygon Z in the trailer makes think so) and if Dynamax will be forced into the region. I would be fine without Dynamax since I never found it interesting. Noticed Dialga and Palkia were also missing and I'm assuming they are going to get some type of new form change that will serve as the box art for the games.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah but wild pokemon don't attack humans. That's a pretty core tenet of the lore. Now I'm wondering what happens when you die in pokemon.

I don't think this is accurate. In the Kanto games, and the Sinnoh games, the respective professor scolds the player for entering tall grass without a Pokemon, essentially saying "It's dangerous to go alone." BW2 lean on this, too - an NPC comments that "now that you have a Pokemon, you can leave town!" In Hoenn, you pick your starter to save Professor Birch from a wild Poochyena/Zigzagoon. And let's not forget, the first (or second, IDK) episode of the anime sees Ash nearly pecked to death by a flock off (justifiably) angry Spearows.

Anyway, a Pokemon game set in the past is something I've wanted for a while. But I'm kind of wary already, at seeing Poke Balls. Namely, I hope the game features an Apricorn system, whereby you collect natural resources to make specialty balls. Also, stuff like harvesting berries to make Potions/Antidotes etc. would be rad. And I'm curious how they'll do things like money, Pokemon Centers, or storage. Plus, are there going to be trainer battles (I'm fine with no gyms, Sun/Moon proved that could work), or is it all wild encounters? I'm intrigued, but I'll wait to learn more.

21 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

For the D/P remakes so far it looks like a straight port but I wonder about some things such as I'm hoping they use Platinum's Pokedex (seeing Porygon Z in the trailer makes think so) and if Dynamax will be forced into the region. I would be fine without Dynamax since I never found it interesting. Noticed Dialga and Palkia were also missing and I'm assuming they are going to get some type of new form change that will serve as the box art for the games.

Same! Platinum's Dex felt like the perfect size - large enough to give you a lot of options for your team, but small enough that every Mon would be showcased at least once during a standard playthrough. The DP Dex was far too restrictive, and Ponyta is still sore from carrying the hopes and dreams of every Trainer who didn't start with Chimchar.

Platinum Dex and Battle Frontier would be very nice to see confirmed. And possibly push me over the line on considering a pokemon game for the first time since USUM. I'd hope for the other tweaks too, but it's bad enough holding my breath on those two.

Legends Arceus is also an interesting concept, but we'll see how execution goes for the next year. It and PTS are making 2022 interesting on paper.

Snap got footage I guess.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I don't think this is accurate. In the Kanto games, and the Sinnoh games, the respective professor scolds the player for entering tall grass without a Pokemon, essentially saying "It's dangerous to go alone." BW2 lean on this, too - an NPC comments that "now that you have a Pokemon, you can leave town!" In Hoenn, you pick your starter to save Professor Birch from a wild Poochyena/Zigzagoon. And let's not forget, the first (or second, IDK) episode of the anime sees Ash nearly pecked to death by a flock off (justifiably) angry Spearows.

Anyway, a Pokemon game set in the past is something I've wanted for a while. But I'm kind of wary already, at seeing Poke Balls. Namely, I hope the game features an Apricorn system, whereby you collect natural resources to make specialty balls. Also, stuff like harvesting berries to make Potions/Antidotes etc. would be rad. And I'm curious how they'll do things like money, Pokemon Centers, or storage. Plus, are there going to be trainer battles (I'm fine with no gyms, Sun/Moon proved that could work), or is it all wild encounters? I'm intrigued, but I'll wait to learn more.

Oh, yeah; true. Wild Pokémon have seemed willing to harm (or at least scare) humans before in main-series games. My guess would be that it all depends on the Pokémon. Some are friendly, some are hostile/territorial/etc.

I agree; I've been wanting to see a Pokémon game set in the past for a long time, and I hope they don't just treat the Feudal Period like it's modern times but with older buildings. Resource gathering and crafting are pretty much a staple of open-world games these days, so collecting resources to make Poke Balls and such will probably happen. Pokémon Centers and the Pokémon storage system shouldn't exist in this time period, so it should be interesting to see how they handle that. 

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Oh, the memes people would make of that depending on your party...

True. I can already imagine one such meme: a team of all majikarp splashing you to the village's physician. 

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I've always interpreted it as "you're a kid, it's dangerous to travel alone, at least take a partner along you could always depend on like you would a parent". That pokemon will be attacked by other pokemon, so it teaches the kid to make responsible decisions. Or perhaps the protection that the pokemon provides wasn't so much against other pokemon as it is against humans, which are far worse than a cuddly tyranitar. The "pokemon don't attack humans, even when ordered by other humans" is such an engrained thing that it's the basis for shadow pokemon. These are abducted pokemon with something done to their hearts that turn off that moral inhibition, and it creates a serious crisis even though they still respond to orders. As for the professor birch situation, we don't have the full context how he riled them up, or see what happens if the player doesn't show up. Think of the most tamed lion in a circus. One of these days that lion is going to have a guy's head in its mouth and he's gonna relax his jaw because it's getting tired. Pokemon may be intelligent, but they're also animals and prone to as many animalistic instincts and physical needs as humans are. He may have just crossed some kind of boundary that any sane person would never cross. It's no wonder he's the only professor that does that brand of "field research". He's probably shunned by the entire scientific community behind his back. Or, maybe some pokemon, like the for some reason shunned dark types like Poochyena, have more wives tails about attacking humans and the professor panicked. You can stand there for hours or try to leave, he will never actually be hurt. 

As for the anime, you know they've been willing to bend gameplay conceits from the beginning. Ash's pikachu beats onix just by thundershocking harder than the last time. Pikachu does blast away team rocket almost every episode with his thundershock because Ash orders it, but that's just been the standard of how the comic relief gets thwarted in this kid's show. It's adaptation, not source material.

I guess the only answer I'm really comfortable with is "Pokemon is a game series with 25 years of history and dozens of spinoff titles. Even the main series games aren't developed by the same people, some anachronisms are to be expected". And I think its those inconsistencies that they're trying to cover up by claiming each version of pokemon takes place in a slightly different dimension. The events of no game can be considered "canon" as a result. According to Gen 1's canon, China and South America exist with those real life names, why haven't we seen them? Also "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is a real song. I want to go to that Pat Benatar concert!

Edited by Glennstavos

42 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I've always interpreted it as "you're a kid, it's dangerous to travel alone, at least take a partner along you could always depend on like you would a parent". That pokemon will be attacked by other pokemon, so it teaches the kid to make responsible decisions. Or perhaps the protection that the pokemon provides wasn't so much against other pokemon as it is against humans, which are far worse than a cuddly tyranitar. The "pokemon don't attack humans, even when ordered by other humans" is such an engrained thing that it's the basis for shadow pokemon. These are abducted pokemon with something done to their hearts that turn off that moral inhibition, and it creates a serious crisis even though they still respond to orders. As for the professor birch situation, we don't have the full context how he riled them up, or see what happens if the player doesn't show up. Think of the most tamed lion in a circus. One of these days that lion is going to have a guy's head in its mouth and he's gonna relax his jaw because it's getting tired. Pokemon may be intelligent, but they're also animals and prone to as many animalistic instincts and physical needs as humans are. He may have just crossed some kind of boundary that any sane person would never cross. It's no wonder he's the only professor that does that brand of "field research". He's probably shunned by the entire scientific community behind his back. Or, maybe some pokemon, like the for some reason shunned dark types like Poochyena, have more wives tails about attacking humans and the professor panicked. You can stand there for hours or try to leave, he will never actually be hurt. 

As for the anime, you know they've been willing to bend gameplay conceits from the beginning. Ash's pikachu beats onix just by thundershocking harder than the last time. Pikachu does blast away team rocket almost every episode with his thundershock because Ash orders it, but that's just been the standard of how the comic relief gets thwarted in this kid's show. It's adaptation, not source material.

I guess the only answer I'm really comfortable with is "Pokemon is a game series with 25 years of history and dozens of spinoff titles. Even the main series games aren't developed by the same people, some anachronisms are to be expected". And I think its those inconsistencies that they're trying to cover up by claiming each version of pokemon takes place in a slightly different dimension. The events of no game can be considered "canon" as a result. According to Gen 1's canon, China and South America exist with those real life names, why haven't we seen them? Also "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is a real song. I want to go to that Pat Benatar concert!

Re: Shadow Pokemon - it's worth noting that Orre is practically devoid of Wild Pokemon. As such, the abnormality of Shadow Pokemon attacking people must be measured against the behavior of captured Pokemon. And the Orre games aren't even clearly "canon" to the main series. Which, you're right, is hardly consistent. 

And I agree that the anime is an adaptation, so the main-game behavior of Pokemon can't be assumed conistent with the show.

Still, my interpretation of the numerous points in the games where wild Pokemon are referred to as a threat to people without Pokemon, is that wild Pokemon attacking people, while uncommon, is not unheard of. It's possible, say, that the Poochyena who attacked Professor Birch was sick - potentially something as simple as a thorn in its paw, rendering it aggressive. And wild Pokemon fughting one another probably aren't going to stop, just because a human gets in the way. No Pokemon is evil or "out for blood", but in the wrong scenario, they can threaten the safety even of a healthy adult (like Professor Birch).

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I agree; I've been wanting to see a Pokémon game set in the past for a long time, and I hope they don't just treat the Feudal Period like it's modern times but with older buildings. Resource gathering and crafting are pretty much a staple of open-world games these days, so collecting resources to make Poke Balls and such will probably happen. Pokémon Centers and the Pokémon storage system shouldn't exist in this time period, so it should be interesting to see how they handle that. 

I'd be cool with a stripped-down Pokemon Center concept, that's more like a hospital tent. Maybe where you could only leave one Pokemon at a time, and it takes a certain amount (say, 10 minutes) of in-game time to full heal (providing extra incentive to keep your Mons from fainting).

As for the PC, that's a trickier one. Perhaps they could expand the Daycare Center, letting you drop off far more Pokemon? Or have a "Pokemon Library", where the Pokemon are kept in balls, but on shelves, rather than in a PC. A final option is to simply let the player carry more than 6 Pokemon at once. I believe Let's Go did a sort of "pocket PC", so maybe this game could let you carry a certain number (say, 20) of non-party Pokemon.

9 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I don't want to get my hopes up though; it looks very experimental and unlikely to go over uncriticized by the less open-minded fans. It probably won't have all the pokemon like Sw/Sh, likely just the ones native to Sinnoh, and it probably is going to feel very empty since this sounds like the "beginning" of Sinnoh

If the trailer is indicative of how much polish it needs but won't get (like Sw&Sh) it will get a shit ton of criticism just for that. Granted, Gamefreak is unlikely to escape that until they start to seriously treat part of their older fans a bit more seriously. Which they have very little reason to do, considering how well Sw&Sh sold... 😕

Also, i think since the starters are not from Sinnoh, I feel like we could see at least a few more pokemon from other generations. Although both Rowlett and Samurott seem to fit a feudal theme... so that might be why.

Still the game looks intriguing, though not a first day buy for me. Gamefreak lost that trust a while ago. I will wait and see what happens with how the game is delivered. If they can't improve the animations (holy shit that chimeco is bad) and the textures of foilage and trees I'm probably not getting it.

8 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

Also, i think since the starters are not from Sinnoh, I feel like we could see at least a few more pokemon from other generations. Although both Rowlett and Samurott seem to fit a feudal theme... so that might be why.

Still the game looks intriguing, though not a first day buy for me. Gamefreak lost that trust a while ago. I will wait and see what happens with how the game is delivered. If they can't improve the animations (holy shit that chimeco is bad) and the textures of foilage and trees I'm probably not getting it.

I'm not sure other non-modern Sinnoh dex mons are likely to appear (god, that's actually a thing we can say...), heck I'm not even sure some Sinnoh dex mons will appear like Rotom or Magnemite, since we're in ancient times. Or at least not as wild pokemon, gift pokemon maybe.

I'll admit I'm not completely sold on the game either, but that's more because there's so little we know about it that I don't want to become invested just in the promise of "Pokemon of the Wild, also ninjas"

I will be honest, I had lost hope completely on a game that wasn't as "traditional" as the main series game. In fact, this announcement took me by surprise.

To me, the thing that gives me hope about this game is not just that it will be open world. But since this is not one of the main series game, I hope Gamefreak can take their time this time to polish their game. Hopefully they learned their lesson from Sword and Shield.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:55 PM, Xenomata said:

I'm not sure other non-modern Sinnoh dex mons are likely to appear (god, that's actually a thing we can say...), heck I'm not even sure some Sinnoh dex mons will appear like Rotom or Magnemite, since we're in ancient times. Or at least not as wild pokemon, gift pokemon maybe.

That's a good point about Rotom, since its thing is that it explicitly takes over electronic items, though maybe a more primitive version of it could exist; maybe one that can take over stuff like furnaces, umbrellas, etc. As for magnemite, magnetism is hardly new (though Nosepass is definitely better for representing old magnets), so I could maybe see magnemite being the game, but yeah; it probably won't appear. 

Yeah; I doubt there'll be Pokémon from outside Sinnoh other than the starters, both because this is Feudal Sinnoh and because it allows them to not have to make new animations and such for too many Pokémon (and if the battle footage is any indication, there are definitely new animations). Not only that, but the explanation for the starters not being from Sinnoh is that they're a gift from a professor who's from another region.

We probably won't see the fossil Pokémon either since I doubt the Pokémon world has fossil-reviving technology in the... it's rather ambiguous, but I'm going to guess 18th Century, and even the Feudal Period is way too late for the fossil Pokémon to exist in the wild. 

Edited by vanguard333

• 7 months later...

So, how do we feel about the confirmed new Pokemon for this game?

Wyrdeer looks more like a regional variant than a full-on evolution. And like it should be part Ice-type. But Stantler deserved a Psychic-typing to begin with, so a Normal/Psychic Stantler evolution is welcome in my book.

Basculegion, now that is an evolution right there! Water/Ghost is a strong but underutilized typing, and I could imagine this Mon presenting a serious threat. Not to mention, a horrifying backstory.

Kleavor very much comes across as "Rock Scyther", in the same sense that Scizor is "Metal Scyther". I don't imagine a significant stat boost, but if it keeps Technician and gets the right moves (Accelerock? Rock Tomb?), it could be a serious contender.

Hisuian Braviary is... not what I was expecting. Its design is fine, even if the weird pink flame eyes seem more a distraction than anything else. It sounds like a physically-oriented Psychic/Flying type, which is certainly welcome.

Hisuian Growlithe is adorable and I will tolerate no disrespect. Well, except from Water types. And Ground types. Fire/Rock just isn't the best typing. Still, its description of "working in pairs" makes me wonder if it'll offer some double battle strategies. And the P1,000,000 question is, what happens when it evolves?

@Shanty Pete's 1st Mate I think the new Pokémon are very interesting, though it's a bit weird that, aside from Basculegion, all the new Pokémon that have been announced so far are either part Psychic type or part Rock type.

An interesting thing about Wyrdeer, Baculegion and Hisuian Braviary is that Sika Deer (Japanese deer), salmon and white-tailed sea eagles were all part of Ainu culture (albeit mainly as food), so these Pokémon are great choices for a game set in a region based on Hokkaido.

Kleavor makes a lot of sense; Scizor's appearance always reminded me of those modern hydraulic claws used for cutting steel pipe and stuff like that, which you wouldn't really find in the 18th-19th century, so a new evolution makes a lot more sense. An axe Pokémon is certainly interesting; the only other one I can think of is that dragon-type Pokémon that has an axe in its mouth. However, as far as Pokémon with weapons for arms, I'll probably end up using Gallade rather than Kleavor.

Hisuian Growlithe is interesting. Fire/Rock is a terrible defensive combination, but it is fairly decent for offense. Still, one should probably avoid ever using it against Shellos or Gastrodon.

Edited by vanguard333

On 10/4/2021 at 5:50 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Hisuian Growlithe is adorable and I will tolerate no disrespect. Well, except from Water types. And Ground types. Fire/Rock just isn't the best typing. Still, its description of "working in pairs" makes me wonder if it'll offer some double battle strategies. And the P1,000,000 question is, what happens when it evolves?

It becomes a big, floofy boi.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:35 PM, vanguard333 said:

Kleavor makes a lot of sense; Scizor's appearance always reminded me of those modern hydraulic claws used for cutting steel pipe and stuff like that, which you wouldn't really find in the 18th-19th century, so a new evolution makes a lot more sense. An axe Pokémon is certainly interesting; the only other one I can think of is that dragon-type Pokémon that has an axe in its mouth. However, as far as Pokémon with weapons for arms, I'll probably end up using Gallade rather than Kleavor.

A new Scyther evolution? Intriguing! Kleavor reminds me of the Alolan Geodude family and Mega Aerodactyl.