Sinnoh Confirmed! Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are Coming to the Switch

Shanty Pete's 1st Mate

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

To their (limited) credit, there appears to be some semblance of a postgame. Ramanas Park will allow for catching previous-generation legendaries, and they're bringing back Gym Leader rematches, too. That said, it's a genuine shame the Battle Frontier never made it beyond Gen IV. Even as each generation tried to "reimagine" the Battle Tower (in the Subway, Maison, and Tree), none offered the same amount of options.

Thats a pretty lackluster post game to be honest and not enticing at all. Gym leader rematches do not make up for attempting to clear 5 facilities, most of which required 50 battles to complete, and said battles required good team building, thought and preparation.

Edit: It seems your post agrees with me. Still I've seen people claim this game has post game like HG/SS and that is just laughably and incomprehensibly wrong

Edited by Zanarkin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, the catch rate for this game is the same as SwSh. Which includes a hidden mechanic involving that, if a Pokemon is even a single level higher than yours, its catch rate is divided by five. Holy shit, that's ridiculous. It's apparently only before you get all eight badges/defeat the league, I dunno which, but...what the fuck? That makes the grand underground a major pain in the ass.

9 hours ago, Dai said:

Apparently, the catch rate for this game is the same as SwSh. Which includes a hidden mechanic involving that, if a Pokemon is even a single level higher than yours, its catch rate is divided by five. Holy shit, that's ridiculous. It's apparently only before you get all eight badges/defeat the league, I dunno which, but...what the fuck? That makes the grand underground a major pain in the ass.

Ironically, this sounds like one change I'm actually in agreement with. It's never sat right with me that level isn't factored into capturing a Pokemon. A higher-level Pokemon is more powerful than a lower-level one (within a given species), so you'd think it would be more effective at "fighting back" against the Poke Ball. Moreover, being able to catch a really high-level Mon early, thus trivializing lower-level trainers and gym leaders, sounds really cheap to me.

That said, they could just set a "level cap" on Grand Underground Pokemon, relative to game progress. So if you only have 1 badge, they cap out at level 15; at 2 badges, it's level 20; and so on. So being faced with higher-level wild Pokemon (and being able to cruise through the game with them)... wouldn't really happen.

• 1 month later...

I admit that I haven't played Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl, but given everything I've heard and seen about them, I honestly think it would've been better if they sold a $5 port of Platinum; maybe $10 to factor in the cost of reworking gameplay to work without a touchscreen or second screen.

I understand wanting to do faithful 1:1 remakes; Shadow Dragon and Ocarina of Time 3D were pretty cool, but the key to a good "faithful" remake is knowing what to change, and Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl honestly come across less like a remake and more like a reskin; like they wanted to make just enough aesthetic and largely superfluous changes that they could call the game a "remake" and charge full price.

Perhaps the worst thing is that they seemingly incorporated nothing from Platinum. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire at least added the Delta Episode for postgame Emerald-like content. What does this have?

I did't mind too much that ORAS did't go for Emerald because at least they added and modernised some stuff. But in BDSP I found the lack of Platinum stuff to be a pretty big weakness. I know Platinum added a bunch of stuff which to me was needed because I felt the Shinnoh is kind of boring in the base game. That would not be so much of a problem if the gameplay carried the game, but for me this wasn't the case.

Right now Brilliant diamond and Shining Pearl is the only Pokemon game I stopped playing before I finished it. Mostly because it just started to feel like such a autopilot chore after a while. All the extra xp and later the affection mechanic meant there hadn't been a single thing that threatened me from Gardenia all the way up to Candice. I tried my best to minimise it by making a second team, but that team cought up so quick that I had two overleveled teams rather then one.

So setting/story wise the game was so annoyingly faithful that I found myself bored with Shinnoh and the game was so NOT faithful gameplay-wise that I found myself even more bored with the gameplay. So this Pokemon game gave me very little that I liked.

@Sasori I didn't mind that ORAS didn't go for Emerald either, both for the reason that they did add and modernize stuff and because I've never actually played Emerald.

Yeah; I honestly don't understand the changes to exp and affection, especially considering the game was scaled around the original systems and they seemingly did nothing to account for the changes. Any change made in a "faithful remake" has to be carefully considered in terms of how it will affect the game, and it doesn't seem like these changes were.

Another issue I've seen is that they gave the player character 360-degree movement when the original game limited the player to 4-directional movement, and they didn't consider how 360-degree movement would affect navigating the world.

Seeing how ORAS was able to adapt RS to be more like XY, it's a shame they couldn't do the same for BDSP and SwSh. Before BDSP was revealed, I imagine a lot of fans were excited to see what a full 3D overhaul of DP could be like. Seeing how there were fully-animated non-chibi 3D models of most of the characters leaves one to long even harder for such a remake.

Maybe the BW remakes will fare better? At the very least, Legends: Arceus stands to make up for BDP's shortcomings with a much more innovative take on the series' formula, not to mention the sheer novelty of what may well be the first-ever Pokemon prequel. Even if Legends somehow fails, it won't be for lack of effort nor creativity; we'll all have something new and interesting to talk about.

Now I'm aching for a Legends: Mew set in Kanto 30 years in the past, when Oak was young and still aspiring to be a Master (and perhaps be the protagonist's rival, no less!). The male protagonist could resemble Red, and be heavily implied to be his grandfather. The female protagonist could likewise resemble Leaf/Green. Kanto could be shown to be less technologically developed than it is now, with Dr. Fuji and Blaine setting up a laboratory on Cinnabar Island and the Power Plant being under construction.

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Another issue I've seen is that they gave the player character 360-degree movement when the original game limited the player to 4-directional movement, and they didn't consider how 360-degree movement would affect navigating the world.

My understanding is it's not 360-degree, but 8-directional movement that is available to the player. This still creates issues in Candice's gym, for instance.

27 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Now I'm aching for a Legends: Mew set in Kanto 30 years in the past, when Oak was young and still aspiring to be a Master (and perhaps be the protagonist's rival, no less!). The male protagonist could resemble Red, and be heavily implied to be his grandfather. The female protagonist could likewise resemble Leaf/Green. Kanto could be shown to be less technologically developed than it is now, with Dr. Fuji and Blaine setting up a laboratory on Cinnabar Island and the Power Plant being under construction.

It could probably be 50 years ago - I'd estimate Professor Oak to be in his sixties by the time of RBY. Maybe Agatha could be another rival, or a Channeler at the Pokemon Tower. Either way, it'd be great if they could feature Johto as well. We'd get to meet a young Kurt, who's apprenticing as an Apricorn ball maker. Bill's grandparents, who have come up with a prototype Pokemon storage system. Pryce, as an explorer in the Ice Tunnel. And a previous generation of Kimono Girls.

That said, perhaps we'll wait and see whether Legends: Arceus is up to the task. It's trying something new, but can it make for a content-rich game in its own right? We'll see soon!

Just now, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It could probably be 50 years ago - I'd estimate Professor Oak to be in his sixties by the time of RBY. Maybe Agatha could be another rival, or a Channeler at the Pokemon Tower. Either way, it'd be great if they could feature Johto as well. We'd get to meet a young Kurt, who's apprenticing as an Apricorn ball maker. Bill's grandparents, who have come up with a prototype Pokemon storage system. Pryce, as an explorer in the Ice Tunnel. And a previous generation of Kimono Girls.

That said, perhaps we'll wait and see whether Legends: Arceus is up to the task. It's trying something new, but can it make for a content-rich game in its own right? We'll see soon!

It's been mentioned that Oak and Agatha were friends, though once Oak retired from battling to become a researcher, Agatha felt he'd grown soft and called him a fool. I could see Agatha being the daughter of Channelers from Lavender Town. Also, Samuel's cousin, Samson, should make an appearance.

Johto content is an interesting prospect. Especially if the game doesn't strictly follow a League per se, and the focus is instead on helping the current professor research Pokemon in the area.

At the very least, Arceus opens up exciting new possibilities for future Pokemon games.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My understanding is it's not 360-degree, but 8-directional movement that is available to the player. This still creates issues in Candice's gym, for instance.

Oh, I see. My mistake. But yeah; it still creates problems from what I've seen.