How to use FEBuilder as a professional stupid person

xigbar7

Howdy,

I downloaded febuilder last night but I am not sure how to even open it and make it interact with my mom ROM for the purpose of making maps, and potentially a game somewhere down the line. There are tutorials out there but I feel inundated by the volume of information. A lot of them suggest downloading a hex editor which is something I know nothing about. Is there way for me to better digest the available information as a technologically inept person?

I personally found this video really helpful.

I could be mistaken, but I found that the best teacher is experience in this case; getting help at first is certainly a good idea, but the quickest way is to tinker in general, at least in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Benice said:

I personally found this video really helpful.

I could be mistaken, but I found that the best teacher is experience in this case; getting help at first is certainly a good idea, but the quickest way is to tinker in general, at least in my opinion.

This is perfect thanks. First five minutes was what I needed. I’m fine with tinkering through trial and error I just couldn’t figure out how to open the program to begin with lol.

Edited by xigbar7

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

What exactly do you want to accomplish with FE builder? Do you have a goal?

Stretch goal of making a reasonably lengthed rom hack...Mostly, I write and I think making a story is reasonable for me, but my tech skills are lower end probably but I love Fire Emblem. I'd also be interested in making some maps to test hypothetical game balance questions I've been thinking about in the series, especially the whole 'bad lords are a hindrance (ex: Roy)/good lords make the game too easy (ex: sigurd)' duality in the series and seeing what might define a balance net neutral lord. That's just one example, but you get my point I think.

7 hours ago, xigbar7 said:

Stretch goal of making a reasonably lengthed rom hack...Mostly, I write and I think making a story is reasonable for me, but my tech skills are lower end probably but I love Fire Emblem. I'd also be interested in making some maps to test hypothetical game balance questions I've been thinking about in the series, especially the whole 'bad lords are a hindrance (ex: Roy)/good lords make the game too easy (ex: sigurd)' duality in the series and seeing what might define a balance net neutral lord. That's just one example, but you get my point I think.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. It sounds like most of what you want is done with eventing. 

Eventing is one of the things that takes a bit more time to learn, since theres so many options to choose from.

16 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

That sounds perfectly reasonable. It sounds like most of what you want is done with eventing. 

Eventing is one of the things that takes a bit more time to learn, since theres so many options to choose from.

I'm discovering that right now. I was really just having trouble installing it but Benice's vid shows me that. Making a practice map right now to fiddle with basics but this is exciting. Only thing that leaps out at me is wondering how I import fe6/7 portraits so i have more splice options but I'm sure I can find info on that.

4 minutes ago, xigbar7 said:

Only thing that leaps out at me is wondering how I import fe6/7 portraits so i have more splice options but I'm sure I can find info on that.

There's a repository for FEGBA hacking tools- I am on mobile and can't get it right now, but it' got all the FEGBA portraits, as well as many, many custom ones. (They also have all of the FE6 ones with blink frames.)

Another option is to open the FEGBA games in FEBuilder and just export those.

Edited by Benice