Seeking New Class Graphic Artist(s?) for Sanctaea Chronicles

Von Ithipathachai

Hello again, everyone. Von here. I recently released the first fully playable build of my SRPG Studio game, Sanctaea Chronicles, and am now starting to move into the presentation upgrading phase of the project.

Those of you who’ve been keeping up with it are probably familiar with the work of my artist, Furan, who’s been making new halfbody portraits for the game:

Fighter.png?width=800&height=676

Fighter_present.png

Looks good, doesn’t it? But there’s a bit of a problem. You see, the RTP class graphics that the game is currently using aren’t consistent in appearance with these new class designs Furan and I have cooked up, and Furan is already occupied enough working on the halfbodies. Meaning that if I want to upgrade the class graphics that are currently in use, my best bet is to recruit at least one additional artist onto the project to make new class graphics based on the art Furan is already producing.

Before writing this request thread, I did some calculations for how much work is going to be needed for a full overhaul:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vxsaZoqyi3enryp-L6mFCcKLAqAYUj86ByzipMIPmoA/edit?usp=sharing

For charchips (map sprites), I’m going to need 94 new sets, with a set consisting of 4 graphic sheets (player, enemy, ally, waiting) of 15 map sprites organized like this:

8ecf46f67ebfca3547c38a4e6708d2b60eb73605

For motions (battle sprites), I’m going to need 86 new sets, with a set consisting of 3 graphic sheets (player, enemy, ally) of battle sprites organized like this:

2519d2c0398a08d2ecd2c19f6503b04018558ce6

The new graphic sheets will need 15-45 rows (for melee, depending on number of weapon types) or 5 rows (for bows and magic), with the amount of sprites in each row varying based on the needs of the animation. If you want an idea of how the battle animations are set up to move in the engine, think something resembling the Jugdral games.

The map sprites as a whole would resemble the kind seen in Fateswakening, much like the halfbodies already being worked on. The battle sprites would ideally resemble an extension of that, roughly the same size as their RTP counterparts.

If this all sounds like a massive order, I know quite well that it is. Which is why I decided it would be wise to consult you guys about it first to get an idea of its feasibility.

If you’re interested in taking on the challenge and joining my team, please let me know in the thread responses along with whatever amount of money it all will cost me by the end. If you aren’t able to join or are unwilling to do so (and I don’t blame you if that’s the case), then feel free to direct me where I can shove it find some artists who might be.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, and good day. Let me know if you have any other questions.

For charchips (map sprites), I’m going to need 94 new sets, with a set consisting of 4 graphic sheets (player, enemy, ally, waiting) of 15 map sprites

For motions (battle sprites), I’m going to need 86 new sets, with a set consisting of 3 graphic sheets (player, enemy, ally) of battle sprites 

The new graphic sheets will need 15-45 rows (for melee, depending on number of weapon types) or 5 rows (for bows and magic), with the amount of sprites in each row varying based on the needs of the animation. If you want an idea of how the battle animations are set up to move in the engine, think something resembling the Jugdral games.

The map sprites as a whole would resemble the kind seen in Fateswakening, much like the halfbodies already being worked on. The battle sprites would ideally resemble an extension of that, roughly the same size as their RTP counterparts.

If this all sounds like a massive order, I know quite well that it is. Which is why I decided it would be wise to consult you guys about it first to get an idea of its feasibility.

thing is, you could actually work on a pre-built .PNG file like those mentioned above for both charchips/motions, because it would only require building additional layers for new sprites above the already existing ones. adding new details shouldn't be hard either.

that way the default "guides" for the animations should still be in the same place, and you could eventually come up with alternatives as long as the space limit(pixels) of the previous file doesn't get changed. that charchip file you posted looks like it can already be worked on, but for the motion file, i'm pretty sure that is not the original size.

while we're at it, here's another comparison between SRPG Studio default and custom edit:

8ecf46f67ebfca3547c38a4e6708d2b60eb73605  ----->  charchip.png

going by details, here's your generic axe man and the custom one:

c1.png  ----->  c2.png

as you can see, in order to be in line with Furan's concept art, shoes color has been changed, belt color has been changed, hands have been made darker to resemble gloves, a bandana has been added, a shirt has been added, and eyes color has been changed too.

if you also manage to swap the overall blue with red, then green, and then change saturation levels to remove colors, you're pretty much done with all the needed variations for the base sprite.

however, as i don't know how the file sizes are handled in SRPG Studio, i can't tell if you can eventually work around new sets of bigger/smaller sprites or not.

then again, in order to make custom sprites, reference material is needed as well, wich i presume would be developed based on Furan's currently completed artworks.

otherwise, you could eventually play around with palettes swapping and splicing, creating new stuff from what you already have available on your own. that can be easily done by any editor.

also, feel free to use that charchip i've made, if you want.

1 minute ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

that way the default "guides" for the animations should still be in the same place, and you could eventually come up with alternatives as long as the space limit(pixels) of the previous file doesn't get changed. that charchip file you posted looks like it can already be worked on, but for the motion file, i'm pretty sure that is not the original size.

Oops.  It looks like it got shrunk in the process of being embedded from FEU.

4 minutes ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

thing is, you could actually work on a pre-built .PNG file like those mentioned above for both charchips/motions, because it would only require building additional layers for new sprites above the already existing ones. adding new details shouldn't be hard either.

while we're at it, here's another comparison between SRPG Studio default and custom edit:

8ecf46f67ebfca3547c38a4e6708d2b60eb73605  ----->  charchip.png

going by details, here's your generic axe man and the custom one:

c1.png  ----->  c2.png

as you can see, in order to be in line with Furan's concept art, shoes color has been changed, belt color has been changed, hands have been made darker to resemble gloves, a bandana has been added, a shirt has been added, and eyes color has been changed too.

if you also manage to swap the overall blue with red, then green, and then change saturation levels to remove colors, you're pretty much done with all the needed variations for the base sprite.

however, as i don't know how the file sizes are handled in SRPG Studio, i can't tell if you can eventually work around new sets of bigger/smaller sprites or not.

then again, in order to make custom sprites, reference material is needed as well, wich i presume would be developed based on Furan's currently completed artworks.

otherwise, you could eventually play around with palettes swapping and splicing, creating new stuff from what you already have available on your own. that can be easily done by any editor.

That is a nice edit, but I would prefer not to resort to editing the RTP sprites directly just yet.  A fair bit of the criticism I frequently see of SRPG Studio's default visuals has to do with the look of the sprites themselves and not just how they're animated, hence the desire for a full overhaul.  I personally think the RTP class graphics and animations in and of themselves look fine, but my opinion seems to fall in the minority.

That said, even if I can't change the visual style of the class sprites, I do remember now that expanded RTP animation sheets do exist, so thanks for reminding me of that.  I'll have to play around with those, but I don't think animation expansions exist for all of the graphics I'm currently using.  So we'll just have to see how that goes, I guess.