• Mark (Blazing Blade)
    • Kris (New Mystery)
    • Robin (Awakening)
    • Corrin (Fates)
    • Byleth (Three Houses)
    • Kiran (Heroes)
    • Boo! Avatars suck (every other game)

28 minutes ago, Seazas said:

There is no avatar taking an established char's credit in Echoes. Alm's character and situation being far different as he isn't a skilled war veteran like Marth is.

If anything Alm's prowess on the battle field is a far more important aspect of his character over Marth's as it's the prime reason he's given command.

When this scene carryover is a result of Kris' forced avatar worshippy role to the point of making Marth worse, yes I blame Kris. And you've proven to be a massive hypocrite as you complained about my projections only to shove words for my mouth. Like randomly bringing up Marth being a badass and Caeda being more important when I never said that, at all.

It only results in forced avatar worship with your bias tinted glasses. As Lukas says exactly the same thing as I suggested Kris could say. In fact I thought you'd notice it came from Shadows of Valentia as talking about "the spirit of Altea" is rather out of character for Kris to say.

Kris was not a good addition and if you have to resort to "well not everything is Kris' fault!" while trying to give positives to Kris for things they didn't cause in the same breath, that gives me less reason to take your points on this topic seriously. You straight up resorted to trying to critique FE12 as a whole and missed some of my points out of assumption.

What things have I given positives to Kris that they didn't cause? Are you going to say the support system again? Because I never once said the support system only exists because of Kris. They might have not decided to make the support system without Kris, as they hadn't had it in the two previous games, but I wasn't on the development team so I have no idea what their reasoning was. I certainly would hope it'd still be there without Kris, likewise I would have liked if it were there in Shadow Dragon. But I have never attributed the support system's existence to Kris's existence. I have said that the Gaidens exist because of Kris, because the Gaidens are written around Kris and Katarina's subplot. If Kris didn't exist we would have still received Gaiden's no doubt, but they wouldn't be those Gaidens, at least not without extensive rewriting. And as far as going in to remake New Mystery, making a subplot out of a series of paralogues is a pretty good choice, because it injects some life into the rather dull lore dump sections that make up a good deal of Book 2's plot.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If anything Alm's prowess on the battle field is a far more important aspect of his character over Marth's as it's the prime reason he's given command.

It only results in forced avatar worship with your bias tinted glasses. As Lukas says exactly the same thing as I suggested Kris could say. In fact I thought you'd notice it came from Shadows of Valentia as talking about "the spirit of Altea" is rather out of character for Kris to say.

What things have I given positives to Kris that they didn't cause? Are you going to say the support system again? Because I never once said the support system only exists because of Kris. They might have not decided to make the support system without Kris, as they hadn't had it in the two previous games, but I wasn't on the development team so I have no idea what their reasoning was. I certainly would hope it'd still be there without Kris, likewise I would have liked if it were there in Shadow Dragon. But I have never attributed the support system's existence to Kris's existence. I have said that the Gaidens exist because of Kris, because the Gaidens are written around Kris and Katarina's subplot. If Kris didn't exist we would have still received Gaiden's no doubt, but they wouldn't be those Gaidens, at least not without extensive rewriting. And as far as going in to remake New Mystery, making a subplot out of a series of paralogues is a pretty good choice, because it injects some life into the rather dull lore dump sections that make up a good deal of Book 2's plot.

Which is what Alm does time and again. With Echoes dedicated entire new scenes, in that same cutscene they had Alm take on Fernand and Berkut by his lonesome, therefore keeping the accuracy of what Alm is supposed to be: incredible in battle with some tactics, but he didn't have a prior war to refine them like Marth did. The comparison just doesn't hold up.

Nah, it's definitely forced avatar worship because Maeda sucks at writing avatars. It's what happens since players get an extra amount of praise and avatars are weirdly written most of the time. Lukas has more experience than Alm, his canon role justifies it too. Lukas was an advisor of Clive's in both the DLC and in the main game, so trusted that Lukas was given the responsibility of plucking the legendary war hero for the sake of the Deliverance (Mycen). Kris does not have more experience than Marth and Kris' character is supposed to be a soldier that's good at fighting, so have Kris do that and not barge in the story when it isn't necessary.

You tried to argue that without Kris things could be worse or not change at all, when you're not the developer and all of the resources have to go somewhere.

2 hours ago, Seazas said:

Which is what Alm does time and again. With Echoes dedicated entire new scenes, in that same cutscene they had Alm take on Fernand and Berkut by his lonesome, therefore keeping the accuracy of what Alm is supposed to be: incredible in battle with some tactics, but he didn't have a prior war to refine them like Marth did. The comparison just doesn't hold up.

I think they softened Alm's character to a massive degree. So I disagree with this entirely. But it's not an Alm thread so I won't derail things going down that rabbit hole.

Nah, it's definitely forced avatar worship because Maeda sucks at writing avatars. It's what happens since players get an extra amount of praise and avatars are weirdly written most of the time. Lukas has more experience than Alm, his canon role justifies it too. Lukas was an advisor of Clive's in both the DLC and in the main game, so trusted that Lukas was given the responsibility of plucking the legendary war hero for the sake of the Deliverance (Mycen). Kris does not have more experience than Marth and Kris' character is supposed to be a soldier that's good at fighting, so have Kris do that and not barge in the story when it isn't necessary.

Exactly, so it's your bias. Kris is Marth's adviser to, and anything they do to prove worthy of that is pandering, while anything any other character is justified by not being Kris

You tried to argue that without Kris things could be worse or not change at all, when you're not the developer and all of the resources have to go somewhere.

You're not the developer either. There's nothing to suggest any Krisless resources would go towards what you want, and more to suggest they'd go towards making the game more like Shadow Dragon. Given what seems to be their priorities for the game, I think any extra resources would go towards improving the gameplay (well that's taking resources as a zero sum game which it's not).

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think they softened Alm's character to a massive degree. So I disagree with this entirely. But it's not an Alm thread so I won't derail things going down that rabbit hole.

Exactly, so it's your bias. Kris is Marth's adviser to, and anything they do to prove worthy of that is pandering, while anything any other character is justified by not being Kris

You're not the developer either. There's nothing to suggest any Krisless resources would go towards what you want, and more to suggest they'd go towards making the game more like Shadow Dragon. Given what seems to be their priorities for the game, I think any extra resources would go towards improving the gameplay (well that's taking resources as a zero sum game which it's not).

Oh boy, here we go with the handcanon that Alm was actually SUPER hard and AGGRESSIVE when that doesn't exist in Gaiden. He's shown talking more rationally than Celica and being open minded for the most part. The "crush these bastards" crap is not an accurate translation and Alm does not hesitate with his enemies in Echoes. He even shows his view on it with Tatiana: "you're no enemy of mine unless we see each other on the battlefield". People who believe that nonsense- still is under the rose-tinted glasses of Awakening Alm. Still, it does not apply to this talk and Alm's accuracy is held up to a fault, more than Marth's anyway.

In your dreams, Jegan is Marth's advisor, not Kris. Kris is supposed to be the bodyguard going off what FE12 itself put with Kris. Lukas doesn't get pandered either, I already fucking TOLD YOU that I don't want ANY character with the terrible role of Kris. God damn is like you ignored what I said earlier to try and bash me. Just stop already if you're not going to bother to understand what I put.

Didn't say it 100% would, I made it painfully clear that a Krisless game would be better since there's no forced avatar in a story that doesn't work with them. Kris is ill suited for FE12.

Edited by Seazas

19 hours ago, Seazas said:

Oh boy, here we go with the handcanon that Alm was actually SUPER hard and AGGRESSIVE when that doesn't exist in Gaiden. He's shown talking more rationally than Celica and being open minded for the most part. The "crush these bastards" crap is not an accurate translation and Alm does not hesitate with his enemies in Echoes. He even shows his view on it with Tatiana: "you're no enemy of mine unless we see each other on the battlefield". People who believe that nonsense- still is under the rose-tinted glasses of Awakening Alm. Still, it does not apply to this talk and Alm's accuracy is held up to a fault, more than Marth's anyway.

So did you not read the part where I said I wouldn't derail this with a talk about Alm or did you read it and just blatantly ignore it?

In your dreams, Jegan is Marth's advisor, not Kris. Kris is supposed to be the bodyguard going off what FE12 itself put with Kris. Lukas doesn't get pandered either, I already fucking TOLD YOU that I don't want ANY character with the terrible role of Kris. God damn is like you ignored what I said earlier to try and bash me. Just stop already if you're not going to bother to understand what I put.

I'm not bashing you, and I understand you completely. I don't think you have much selfawareness about yourself however. And I have said I'm willing to leave it at agree to disagree.

Didn't say it 100% would, I made it painfully clear that a Krisless game would be better since there's no forced avatar in a story that doesn't work with them. Kris is ill suited for FE12.

In your opinion. I like what Kris brings to the table as a character. If I were in complete control I'd probably change some stuff, but on the whole I think it was a beneficial addition, especially after playing the original Old Mystery.

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So did you not read the part where I said I wouldn't derail this with a talk about Alm or did you read it and just blatantly ignore it?

I'm not bashing you, and I understand you completely. I don't think you have much selfawareness about yourself however. And I have said I'm willing to leave it at agree to disagree.

In your opinion. I like what Kris brings to the table as a character. If I were in complete control I'd probably change some stuff, but on the whole I think it was a beneficial addition, especially after playing the original Old Mystery.

Nope, you clearly didn't pay attention if you're still wrongly accusing me that I'd be fine with any character being in a role of Kris. I already debunked that bullshit when we talked about Luke, Kris' role inherently doesn't work since the narrative was crafted without Kris.

And their character would've went better with a game that actually accounts for that character. Rather than forcing Kris in as an avatar and getting undeserved special treatment purely because they're an avatar. They even leave some things for Kris that would've went explored if they weren't a tacked on afterthought in New Mystery. 

11 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Nope, you clearly didn't pay attention if you're still wrongly accusing me that I'd be fine with any character being in a role of Kris. I already debunked that bullshit when we talked about Luke, Kris' role inherently doesn't work since the narrative was crafted without Kris.

And their character would've went better with a game that actually accounts for that character. Rather than forcing Kris in as an avatar and getting undeserved special treatment purely because they're an avatar. They even leave some things for Kris that would've went explored if they weren't a tacked on afterthought in New Mystery. 

I think you would be. Given that when I had another character do what you think of a typically Kris thing you only saw an issue with it when thinking it was Kris. You can try and backpeddle and shift goalposts like you've done for several pages now on that point, but it doesn't actually change what happened.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think you would be. Given that when I had another character do what you think of a typically Kris thing you only saw an issue with it when thinking it was Kris. You can try and backpeddle and shift goalposts like you've done for several pages now on that point, but it doesn't actually change what happened.

I already told you that I wouldn't, I even said and made clear constantly that I hate Kris for being forced in an established story. Now how about you stop making stupid assumptions? Because that's all you're doing. Kris' role is inherently bad and being tied into Marth's "soulmate" makes no sense. It would never make sense even if it was another character was in Kris' place. I made that clear when you tried to bring up Luke.

And again, there is no Kris case in Echoes, there IS no character stealing Alm's glory or scenes. Alm does a lot more than what he does in Gaiden and there is no Kris that Alm rapidly turns to or credits for his achievements. No one is forced into being the main character's "other half", unlike Kris who only got it because they're an avatar and "need" to be the center of Archanea. Your comparison fell flat and your "goalpost" buzzwords are complete nonsense.

If all you're going to do is push a point that I already explained constantly, then you might as well stop replying to me. Because that shit's obnoxious and purposefully ignorant to what I say. It's so irritating.

Edited by Seazas

3 hours ago, Seazas said:

I already told you that I wouldn't, I even said and made clear constantly that I hate Kris for being forced in an established story. Now how about you stop making stupid assumptions? Because that's all you're doing. Kris' role is inherently bad and being tied into Marth's "soulmate" makes no sense. It would never make sense even if it was another character was in Kris' place. I made that clear when you tried to bring up Luke.

And again, there is no Kris case in Echoes, there IS no character stealing Alm's glory or scenes. Alm does a lot more than what he does in Gaiden and there is no Kris that Alm rapidly turns to or credits for his achievements. No one is forced into being the main character's "other half", unlike Kris who only got it because they're an avatar and "need" to be the center of Archanea. Your comparison fell flat and your "goalpost" buzzwords are complete nonsense.

If all you're going to do is push a point that I already explained constantly, then you might as well stop replying to me. Because that shit's obnoxious and purposefully ignorant to what I say. It's so irritating.

You think you wouldn't, but based on everything you've said, I think you would. Like I said, we can only agree to disagree.

Edited by Jotari

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You think you wouldn't, but based on everything you've said, I think you would. Like I said, we can only agree to disagree.

And if you applied what I said, it's made clear that I dislike Kris for being poorly implemented in a story that clearly doesn't fit them. The amount of favoritism they get with minimal things justifying that is annoying. If Luke got the same treatment I would dislike him too since they turned an established character into some weird overpowered insert. The Archanea story does not fit Kris. Kris, Katarina, the other Assassins and Kris' grandfather would've been better and more explored if they were featured in their own game.

Edited by Seazas

1 minute ago, Seazas said:

And if you applied what I said, it's made clear that I dislike Kris for being poorly implemented in a story that clearly doesn't fit them. The amount of favoritism they get with minimal things justifying that is annoying. If Luke got the same treatment I would dislike him too since they turned an established character into some weird overpowered insert. The Archanea story does not fit Kris. Kris, Katarina, the other Assassins and Kris' grandfather would've been better and more explored if they were featured in their own game.

So you say, but if they actually had promoted Luke I think you'd been completely fine with it, as you're fine with them doing the exact same thing in Shadows of Valentia. And now you respond with "Nuh aw, you're not listening." Even though I am listening, I just disagree with you. And that's fine. Not everyone has to agree with everyone on everything.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So you say, but if they actually had promoted Luke I think you'd been completely fine with it, as you're fine with them doing the exact same thing in Shadows of Valentia. And now you respond with "Nuh aw, you're not listening." Even though I am listening, I just disagree with you. And that's fine. Not everyone has to agree with everyone on everything.

They never did the same thing, they didn't place any of Echoes' characters on a pedestal to be Alm or Celica's "other half". None of Echoes' characters steal Alm's specific scenes where he shines as a character. Echoes even gives Alm new ones that he overbearingly shines in, same for Celica. There was no Kris case in Gaiden nor Echoes. You make no fucking sense, Jotari. 

If Luke was relevant in a good way? Sure. Kris' way? Hell no. 

Edited by Seazas

IMO this argument is going around in circles. Let’s settle this with some hard data.

In SoV, Celica has the most support partners, 4. Alm and Clair have 3, and everyone else has 1-2.

In NM, Caeda, Catria and Palla have 4. Minerva and Est have 5. (The benefit of the Whitewings being a clique.) Kris has seventy-two support partners. They have 72 support partners. That’s as many as seven tens and two ones.

And that’s terrible.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Even though I am listening, I just disagree with you. And that's fine. Not everyone has to agree with everyone on everything.

What are you, conceding a point? Don't be a coward, Irishman. Earn your darn potato skins.

I wanted to include direct responses to the scenes from this quote but Serenes Forest is garbage to write in so I gave up.

Let the record show the Gaiden version shows Alm taking initiative and acting decisively. Regardless of whether his tactics are effective in game, it's clear that he at least exercises tactical thought. In the Shadows of Valentia version of the scene, Alm...doesn't really show anything. It serves the purpose of telling the player that the game will get harder (it doesn't), but Alm's character is undoubtedly softened. You can argue Lukas doesn't really shine in the remake either, but it remains clear that Alm shines less. He is generally characterized very generically in Shadows of Valentia, even without an avatar to steal his "good scenes".

1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

And that’s terrible.

Absolutely atrocious, although whether Seazas could still complain if Kris had 72 supports but no dialogue during the main story is a different matter entirely.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

What are you, conceding a point? Don't be a coward, Irishman. Earn your darn potato skins.

I wanted to include direct responses to the scenes from this quote but Serenes Forest is garbage to write in so I gave up.

Let the record show the Gaiden version shows Alm taking initiative and acting decisively. Regardless of whether his tactics are effective in game, it's clear that he at least exercises tactical thought. In the Shadows of Valentia version of the scene, Alm...doesn't really show anything. It serves the purpose of telling the player that the game will get harder (it doesn't), but Alm's character is undoubtedly softened. You can argue Lukas doesn't really shine in the remake either, but it remains clear that Alm shines less. He is generally characterized very generically in Shadows of Valentia, even without an avatar to steal his "good scenes".

Absolutely atrocious, although whether Seazas could still complain if Kris had 72 supports but no dialogue during the main story is a different matter entirely.

Alm does take initiative in plenty of Echoes' scenes, some of them being entirely new. He's the one who chooses to join the Deliverance even when his friends shout "Alm are you crazy!?", he uses his words and actions to eventually win over Clive. What about his great dialogue sequence with Mycen or when he encourages to march on Rigel? He also takes on Berkut and shouts at him when Berkut starts to ramble about the brand: "why do you care, are you ready to fight or not!?" and he even says to Tatiana that no one's an enemy of him as long as they don't meet on the battlefield. Some insightful stuff.

He has some really good scenes in Echoes and he's about the same character from Gaiden. Alm being "aggressive" isn't the case, he shows to be a competent warrior like Echoes' Alm... But Gaiden Alm shows thoughtfulness, cries over Rudolf too, and is the one essentially being rational in his and Celica's argument while Celica storms off. If it was supposed to be Alm entirely being aggressive... Why wasn't he the one being snappy at Celica first rather than the other way around? Alm never gets snappy in that exchange either... He just says "that's mean Celica!" lol.

Alm not being made to do everything is really good, it's consistent with his character especially when he's never seen the outside world (unlike Marth who's had a normal upbringing and fought an entire war before New Mystery). 

Edited by Seazas

20 hours ago, Seazas said:

They never did the same thing, they didn't place any of Echoes' characters on a pedestal to be Alm or Celica's "other half". None of Echoes' characters steal Alm's specific scenes where he shines as a character. Echoes even gives Alm new ones that he overbearingly shines in, same for Celica. There was no Kris case in Gaiden nor Echoes. You make no fucking sense, Jotari. 

If Luke was relevant in a good way? Sure. Kris' way? Hell no. 

They literally do do the exact same thing. It's only you see it as elevating another character in one scenario and not the other. It's not particularly odd that your biased in this matter. We're all biased, I'm sure me thinking Book II's story was pretty lack luster biases me towards being more favorable with Kris as an addition.

Edited by Jotari

31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They literally do do the exact same thing. It's only you see it as elevating another character in one scenario and not the other. It's not particularly odd that your biased in this matter. We're all biased, I'm sure me thinking Book II's story was pretty lack luster biases me towards being more favorable with Kris as an addition.

Repeating yourself does not make your point good. They do not do the same thing at all, elevating a character is fine but Kris took it too far. Echoes does not have a character like Kris and the way they were implemented. Kris is inherently forced and poorly written.

1 hour ago, Seazas said:

Repeating yourself does not make your point good.

So is the irony intentional there or do you really just lack selfawareness entirely?

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

So is the irony intentional there or do you really just lack selfawareness entirely?

You mean how you pushed your conclusion all over again and forced me to re-explain only for you to ignore and force me to jump through hoops anyway? Because it's so fucking obvious that I hate Kris for reasons that I would hate other characters for if they repeated every single one of Kris' problems.

-Uninteresting character

-Shoehorned in established scenes while adding nothing outside of making scenes now center around the character for no good reason

-"Ohhh you're so perfect and strong and cool and unique and quirky and kind and-"

-Undermines the lord in a way that doesn't make sense.

Edited by Seazas

9 hours ago, Seazas said:

You mean how you pushed your conclusion all over again and forced me to re-explain only for you to ignore and force me to jump through hoops anyway? Because it's so fucking obvious that I hate Kris for reasons that I would hate other characters for if they repeated every single one of Kris' problems.

-Uninteresting character

-Shoehorned in established scenes while adding nothing outside of making scenes now center around the character for no good reason

-"Ohhh you're so perfect and strong and cool and unique and quirky and kind and-"

-Undermines the lord in a way that doesn't make sense.

My conclusion is that you have a heavy bias against Kris and all of these traits are more forgiving in other characters who aren't Kris. And everything you have said has continued to reinforce that opinion of you. So at this point you can either stop talking and leave it at that, or you can find some other way of arguing that stands a better chance of changing my opinion.

Wait. Hold on.

Wasn't there some underlying argument going on here? I have begun to suspect we may be mixing several separate questions into one big argument.

1. Is Marth's character compromised in FE12?
  2. Is Alm's character compromised in FE15?
  3. If the answer to question 1 is yes, is that due to Kris?
  4. Does the presence of an avatar like Kris inherently compromise the protagonist?
Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Just now, AnonymousSpeed said:

Wait. Hold on.

Wasn't there some underlying argument going on here? I have begun to suspect we may be mixing several separate questions into one big argument.

1. Is Marth's character compromised in FE12?
  2. Is Alm's character compromised in FE15?
  3. If the answer to question 1 is yes, is that due to Kris?
  4. Does the presence of an avatar like Kris inherently compromise the protagonist?

I'm definitely not going to go down the rabbit hole of question 2, I have a lot of opinions on it, but I don't see it as relevant to this discussion. And I think both my and Seazas's opinions on the other questions have been thoroughly explored at this point. If others have fresh perspectives then that's great, I'd love to hear them. But repeating and rejecting the same arguments from the same person is getting us nowhere.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

My conclusion is that you have a heavy bias against Kris and all of these traits are more forgiving in other characters who aren't Kris. And everything you have said has continued to reinforce that opinion of you. So at this point you can either stop talking and leave it at that, or you can find some other way of arguing that stands a better chance of changing my opinion.

Your opinion falls flat, you just jumped to conclusions to push shit that isn't true. Alm is a fundamentally different character from Marth, you used one example at a desperate attempt of a "gotcha" moment and when I explain otherwise you cover your ears and ignore it. I do not blindly hate avatars or I would've never argued in Byleth's favor or like Robin as much as I do. Kris' role is pure shit, I would not be lenient on anyone else and there IS no similar case to Kris.

Edited by Seazas

9 hours ago, Seazas said:

Your opinion falls flat, you just jumped to conclusions to push shit that isn't true. Alm is a fundamentally different character from Marth, you used one example at a desperate attempt of a "gotcha" moment and when I explain otherwise you cover your ears and ignore it. I do not blindly hate avatars or I would've never argued in Byleth's favor or like Robin as much as I do. Kris' role is pure shit, I would not be lenient on anyone else and there IS no similar case to Kris.

Im not pushing any agenda at all though. Just pointing out your bias. Because I did get you in that gotcha moment. Your so called attempts to explain are weak attempts at justifying bias. I'm not shutting my ears to anything. If anything has proven by these pages upon pages of responses it's that I am listening to you. If I had any inkling to do otherwise I would have if ores you long ago.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Im not pushing any agenda at all though. Just pointing out your bias. Because I did get you in that gotcha moment. Your so called attempts to explain are weak attempts at justifying bias. I'm not shutting my ears to anything. If anything has proven by these pages upon pages of responses it's that I am listening to you. If I had any inkling to do otherwise I would have if ores you long ago.

You've proven that you're not really listening, you write it off as "weak attempts at justifying bias" when Echoes and New Mystery are completely different games, stories and situations. You used one example that doesn't cover all of Kris' flaws and problems and still use that to assume I'd be fine if any other character had Kris' role.

Fuck no I would not, especially to actively undermine EVERY story scene to center around that character and force Marth to act weird and push them over everyone else. Especially making characters like Elice act off for the sake of putting Kris on a pedestal. 

Hell, that example you brought up... There WAS no character stealing Alm's lines or turning the scene to praise some unrelated character. No, it was just cut dialogue for consistency in the current story's events.

Edited by Seazas