Jump to content

Best Avatar  

77 members have voted

  1. 1. Best Avatar

    • Mark (Blazing Blade)
    • Kris (New Mystery)
    • Robin (Awakening)
    • Corrin (Fates)
    • Byleth (Three Houses)
    • Kiran (Heroes)
    • Boo! Avatars suck (every other game)


Recommended Posts

It's time for Kris's come back story. Time to dispel the idea that the entire fan base despises them.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted for Kris, but I also quite like Corrin and Robin as avatars. I am even less versed in the 3DS games than I am New Mystery, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dirty Mark fan here.

Making other people fight while you bark orders while hiding behind Hector admiring his muscles is the best tactical decision as well as placing magical mines that are probably considered a war-crime.

 

Edited by Samz707

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin > Byleth > Mark > Kris > Corrin

Robin is the best because they're the only one where you could easily just make them not an Avatar and just be a normal character and nothing would change in the slightest;

Byleth is the second best because even though them being an avatar, and most of all a silent avatar, hurts the writing in some areas, they're still for the most part fine, if they were not silent and were instead basically an "Avatar-in-name-only" like Robin and Corrin i could see them being the best for me;

Mark is pointless, remove them from the story altogether and you lose literally nothing;

Kris is like Mark except the few moments where Kris actually does something it's all just them repeating lines other characters said in the original game, which irks me;

Corrin is just ugh, they're not pointless to the story like how Mark and Kris are but their role and character are so blegh that it makes me have a reaction of "I'd rather have nothing", nothing in this case being something like Mark;

Edited by Murozaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kris is good and all, but Robin takes the cake.

Robin > Kris > Corrin > Byleth, by the way. Mark and Kiran excluded because they are literally the player.

Edited by GodSejeong97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best one doesn't exist yet.

Mark, the former Orange Star Advisor. 2nd will go to Robin, third to Itsuki and Kris in last. Not going to judge those I cannot.

Kris could be better, if they were just wee bit more shadowy, as in "never shows up once in the plot past the Prologue and maybe Chapter 1's introduction". I'd be okay with them keeping all their supports ...except for the fact that I'd think their hogging of the supports in NM explains the glaring omission of an AbelxCain support, or many other supports between preexisting characters who really could've used the development. 

Give me the gameplay flexibility of Kris and Robin, but the irrelevance of Mark, and you've a crude copy of my ideal FE avatar. And don't throw them in a gatcha.

 

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

as well as placing magical mines that are probably considered a war-crime.

It's only a war crime if you get caught mind-controlling all the enemies into dropping their weapons or handing them over to Merlinus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purely in terms of gameplay, I'd say Corrin is my favorite. They're strong without being Robin-OP, they're customizable without being "go any class with no effort", their personal and class skills are really cool, and they have a ton of freedom in making babies.

Aesthetically, I actually think Robin is the strongest. A wide variety of hair colors and styles, different builds and voice options, that's pretty rad. Kris comes close, though, and they get those goofy hats/hairstyles.

The Professor is cool, in terms of being able to choose their dialogue options. But in turn, their near absence of personality hurts the story. They're not customizable aesthetically, and they're no more customizable in gameplay than amy other units.

Mark has no gameplay. They're less an avatar than, say, a literal attempt to represent the player within the game. Wait, is that what an avatar is? I'm lost. They're not bad, just boring.

Overall, though, I'm going with Kris. I like the concept of "random knight" as a PoV character. Their closeness with Marth is poorly-justified, but seems less detrimental to the story than, say, how the world revolves around Corrin. They're fun to use without being overpowered, and there's a lot of customization options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's time for Kris's come back story. Time to dispel the idea that the entire fan base despises them.

Joining Ben and Pete in the Pro-Kris gang.

The best part about Corrin is that you can pick almost any class for him/her to be able to reclass into. Kris cuts out the need to get a reclassing item entirely and just starts in the class you want him to be. Unfortunately, the value of this is somewhat mitigated by the generous reclassing rules of the DS games, but it's the best concept for an avatar by far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Joining Ben and Pete in the Pro-Kris gang.

The best part about Corrin is that you can pick almost any class for him/her to be able to reclass into. Kris cuts out the need to get a reclassing item entirely and just starts in the class you want him to be. Unfortunately, the value of this is somewhat mitigated by the generous reclassing rules of the DS games, but it's the best concept for an avatar by far.

You also get to give them hats and shave their head and stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I like Robin, Corrin and Byleth main reasons being I find Robin and Byleth's designs very nice and their characters interesting. However, Corrin I only really like for the world they inhabit, Fates is not a well written experience, though I love the world and the aesthetic. I think Kris is okay, I honestly just haven't had any experience with them, same for Mark and as for Kiran... Kiran I'll be honest I just think is way too boring and took way to long to make playable. They should've taken a page out of Dragalia Lost's book and made a banner with a "Kiran Unit" that's playable. I liked the recent addition of my summoner but it honestly isn't that interesting after a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I'm definitely biased, but I like Kris the most. I think people underestimate and don't realize just how customizable he is, and I like that you can choose their class, with their portrait changing as such. I like them better than Byleth for sure, who is not even customizable so I feel like they might as well not be an avatar in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark because they're the only avatar i can actually forget they're a thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with Robin. Kris is a close second, my reason for not giving them first place would be all the pointless dialogue, where the important characters are saying something and Kris finishes the conversation by saying "Yes" or "I agree" or "friendship is magic". Robin is an actual character and as it was mentioned before in this thread that if they were not an avatar they could be a tactician like Katarina is, and it would change nothing. Kris would take first place if they focused the b plot of the story (The Assassins & Katarina gaiden chapters) on Kris and had them have a larger role in that part and kept his presence in the main plot to a minimum.

As for the rest: Mark is utterly pointless and should be removed from the game if they decide to do a remake, Corn is just ugh, definitely a difficult character to like, it helped a bit when I switched to fem!Corn on all the routes, there is something about dumb anime girls saying dumb stuff makes it more digestible to me. Byleth is ok I guess, dont have many opinions on that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gameplaywise and storywise I would have completely different answers. Storywise, Mark, because none of them are interesting characters, but Mark manages to avoid being a character at all without running into the bullshit Byleth causes. Gameplaywise, Corrin, by a country mile. I love how the infinite classing system for Corrin is so much better balanced than Robin's because you still have to work for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I love how the infinite classing system for Corrin is so much better balanced than Robin's because you still have to work for it.

Is it really "work" though? It's grinding supports with people matching your chosen sex, and then deciding on an opposite-sex class buddy. I concede in a no-grind environment, Corrin does have to make the strategic choice of if, who, and how to build up support points on every map, because they can get only a limited number of best buddies. But with grind permitted, which can be done even on DLC-free Conquest at no gain of EXP via WiFi as long as it lasts, Corrin is just somewhat less flexible than Robin, with a very wide retinue of classes still.

I'm likely placing overemphasis on the word "work" in the sense that it's tough to get, it's more "investment", in that it can be finite, but providing it isn't the challenge. And whatever you call it, it's more than Robin having access to everything from the start. Although Robin has a tiny paper disadvantage in that they have to always wait to level 10 to reclass, whereas Corrin has can do so at anytime, albeit this doesn't matter, because it's not until Chapter 20's completion that infinite Seals become a thing in Fates.

Keep in mind, Corrin has almost never left Nohr Noble and its promotions for me, because E weapon ranks everywhere are an (over?)correction of SD/NM, and I've never forged Bronzes. Robin has rarely seen use outside of tome classes as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Michelaar said:

I feel like I'm definitely biased, but I like Kris the most. I think people underestimate and don't realize just how customizable he is, and I like that you can choose their class, with their portrait changing as such. I like them better than Byleth for sure, who is not even customizable so I feel like they might as well not be an avatar in the first place.

Everyone's Bias insofar as everyone's opinion is based on their own experiences? Unless you personally had a hand in Kris's creation in some way there's no real way you could be any more bias than anyone else here.

6 hours ago, Htmcc said:

Personally I like Robin, Corrin and Byleth main reasons being I find Robin and Byleth's designs very nice and their characters interesting. However, Corrin I only really like for the world they inhabit, Fates is not a well written experience, though I love the world and the aesthetic. I think Kris is okay, I honestly just haven't had any experience with them, same for Mark and as for Kiran... Kiran I'll be honest I just think is way too boring and took way to long to make playable. They should've taken a page out of Dragalia Lost's book and made a banner with a "Kiran Unit" that's playable. I liked the recent addition of my summoner but it honestly isn't that interesting after a bit.

Kiran being playable is literally the only reason I added them to the poll. I was on the verge of posting and saying something like "Kiran isn't an option because Mark exists", but Kiran at least being playable seemed different enough to justify it.

2 hours ago, That's So Raven said:

I went with Robin. Kris is a close second, my reason for not giving them first place would be all the pointless dialogue, where the important characters are saying something and Kris finishes the conversation by saying "Yes" or "I agree" or "friendship is magic". Robin is an actual character and as it was mentioned before in this thread that if they were not an avatar they could be a tactician like Katarina is, and it would change nothing. Kris would take first place if they focused the b plot of the story (The Assassins & Katarina gaiden chapters) on Kris and had them have a larger role in that part and kept his presence in the main plot to a minimum.

As for the rest: Mark is utterly pointless and should be removed from the game if they decide to do a remake, Corn is just ugh, definitely a difficult character to like, it helped a bit when I switched to fem!Corn on all the routes, there is something about dumb anime girls saying dumb stuff makes it more digestible to me. Byleth is ok I guess, dont have many opinions on that one. 

You know the opposite will definitely occur. Mark will instead be given a customizable appearance and a class with OP stats and will be able to S support everyone in the game. Even Pent and Louise (at the same time, they'll have to try and pander to the polyamorus base at some point).

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Mark because he was easy to ignore. Mark didn't take away from anyone. 

 

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Gameplaywise and storywise I would have completely different answers. Storywise, Mark, because none of them are interesting characters, but Mark manages to avoid being a character at all without running into the bullshit Byleth causes. Gameplaywise, Corrin, by a country mile. I love how the infinite classing system for Corrin is so much better balanced than Robin's because you still have to work for it.

10 hours ago, eclipse said:

Mark, because I can choose not to have them around.

I wonder should an "I hate Avatars" option be added just to separate the people who genuinely like the practically non existent Mark and those who vote for him because...well because he is practically non existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I love my boy Corrin, I always had a soft spot for Mark. So I voted Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the question "Best Avatar" is that it implies that any of the Avatars are actually good. When it really comes down more to: "Which Avatar detracts the least from the game they are in."

Like, it's not much of an endorsement if I vote Mark because you can shot them into the sun after Lyn mode. Or Kris, because they are the only Avatar with actual lines who at least doesn't insult the player with the expectation that they project themselves onto a person who by any objective standard is a vile piece of shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The problem with the question "Best Avatar" is that it implies that any of the Avatars are actually good. When it really comes down more to: "Which Avatar detracts the least from the game they are in."

Like, it's not much of an endorsement if I vote Mark because you can shot them into the sun after Lyn mode. Or Kris, because they are the only Avatar with actual lines who at least doesn't insult the player with the expectation that they project themselves onto a person who by any objective standard is a vile piece of shit.

Alright. The "Boo! Avatars suck" option has been added to the poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it`s between Kris and Robin.

I like Kris the most in terms of gameplay, they don`t have a unique class and you can pick their class from the start. Their minor story role also helps. I also like the different portraits they can have and being able to choose their background somewhat. Meanwhile, I prefer Robin as a character.

I feel Byleth would be better as an actual character, rather than beig a silent protagoist. They barely count as an Avatar/My Unit since all you can custimize about them is their name.

Mark and Kiran are non-enteties so I have little else to say about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jotari said:

You know the opposite will definitely occur. Mark will instead be given a customizable appearance and a class with OP stats and will be able to S support everyone in the game. Even Pent and Louise (at the same time, they'll have to try and pander to the polyamorus base at some point).

#PolyRightAreHumanRights

You also have to be able to put them through a messy divorce so you can swoop in and marry the one you like if you happen to dislike Pent for some reason.

Truly, if this is what Earth is like, I tremble at the thought of hell.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

I wonder should an "I hate Avatars" option be added just to separate the people who genuinely like the practically non existent Mark and those who vote for him because...well because he is practically non existent.

I know you already put the option in the pool, but I still feel like it was a bad idea to add. If someone refuses to pick an avatar they either like the most or dislike least, they really just shouldn't vote. I know there's the problem of people who just want to mitigate the avatar being given the same voice as people who actually like the concept, but that's just an inherent flaw of one person one vote.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...