Would Kris still be hated if he wasn't part of a remake, but a brand new game?

Faellin

Lets say his character design and all that remained exactly the same. But instead debuted in a brand new game, and not shoehorned into a remake.

Would he still be hated in this case? Since he wouldn't be messing with pre established stories to make room for his inclusion anymore.

I just don't like his personality, I don't care if he's an avatar or not. He's too loyal to Marth, too most. And there is one moment I have in mind where he chose being loyal to Marth over a friend, and while that makes sense to his character, it only made me dislike him more? Like, I always think to myself that if Kris debated betraying Marth for that friend, then it would had made him seem so much more human, but of course, that didn't happen. 

He'd get less hate for sure with a fresh cast to work with, but if he had the same role and character interactions with them then some of his criticisms would stand.

What? People hate Kris ? I think he/she is cute. They're humble, polite & loyal. I don't blame Nintendo. I think because they added My Avatar(Robin) in Awakening make a huge success. So they want to go with that way: make every FE game have a My Avatar.About stealing other unit lines. I don't know about that cause never played the old version of this game on NES. Honestly I love F!Kris a lot  & Cecil

I just finished the DS games having never played the originals, so as a demographic I'm close to what you're looking for.  I didn't hate Kris, but I didn't like Kris either. They got no personality and they're just sort of there, but everybody sucks up to them, so you do start to feel like everytime Kris is in the room they start sucking air away from more interesting characters. FWIW I dont like how most FE protagonists are written. Most of the time it's a dude who decides they're going to save everybody in front of them, ala shinji from fates, and then they go out and do exactly that. As a character I don't see Kris significantly worse than Roy or Alm, or even Ike, not to mention the other avatars.

Overall yes, their biggest criticism is how they're placed into a pre-existing story so they feel forced into the role of Marth's second half and often usurp lines and roles from other established characters. If they had a new cast to work with, there isn't that comparison to make between the original game and the remake and thus they'd lose that criticism. They would still get some complaints due to their personality, but their reception probably wouldn't be any worse then the other Avatars in that regard.

3 hours ago, Hasechi said:

What? People hate Kris ? I think he/she is cute. They're humble, polite & loyal. I don't blame Nintendo. I think because they added My Avatar(Robin) in Awakening make a huge success. So they want to go with that way: make every FE game have a My Avatar.About stealing other unit lines. I don't know about that cause never played the old version of this game on NES. Honestly I love F!Kris a lot  & Cecil

The major part is Kris was added into a remake. So he kinda steals the spotlight from a pre established story and characters. Thats where most of the hate comes from atleast. From what i've read outside of that, he isn't really hated. But not the most liked either.

9 minutes ago, Faellin said:

The major part is Kris was added into a remake. So he kinda steals the spotlight from a pre established story and characters. Thats where most of the hate comes from atleast. From what i've read outside of that, he isn't really hated. But not the most liked either.

I understand. If I favourite charaters from old game appear in a remake, but they're too pale by the other units, I would upset too. But at least they're still in that game, I think I could accept that ^^ /

About Kris lack of personality. I don't think he/she is. They're just type not-talk-much person. 

Avatars are always a controversial thing. It's a hit or miss. But Kris's issue is that he is an avatar that is in an existing game. He took lines and is praised too much by characters. There's too much player worship. Yes, FE7 has that, but FE7 is it's own game. The player worship in a game that already existed hurts Kris's standing.

It would fix the part where Kris takes over the game, since he/she would be in their own game.  Doesn't fix the part where most of the cast thinks he/she is the bee's knees.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, eclipse said:

It would fix the part where Kris takes over the game, since he/she would be in their own game.  Doesn't fix the part where most of the cast thinks he/she is the bee's knees.

…So Kris would basically be elevated to the dizzying heights of having nothing about them that's worse than the other FE avatars?

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

…So Kris would basically be elevated to the dizzying heights of having nothing about them that's worse than the other FE avatars?

Can't be written out of the story.  Unfortunately, there's only one "avatar" that had that property, so I guess that's a boon in their favor instead of a flaw on everyone else's part.

They wouldn't be as hated since one of the worst parts about Kris is that their mediocre character took the stage away from an entire established narrative. It's like shoving say... someone controversial like Conrad into every Alm and Celica moment and make them pour their hearts out to Conrad. Sonya? She spills her relations with Jedah to Conrad. Deen? He tells his backstory about his dead wife to Conrad of all people. Mae? Gets retconned to randomly be Conrad's best friend and swoons over him rather than have a set dynamic with Boey.

That's essentially Kris in FE12, with the last example hitting too close to home (Norne and Draug).

Fuck Kris.

Edited by Seazas

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 7:51 PM, Faellin said:

So he kinda steals the spotlight from a pre established story and characters.

I wonder how much spotlight can he/she steal in a story where all the talk is made by three characters and the others do not even tell us who the f*ck they are

Edited by Francis

6 hours ago, Francis said:

I wonder how much spotlight can he/she steal in a story where all the talk is made by three characters and the others do not even tell us who the f*ck they are

Exactly, Archanea had little content as is... It did not need to have it hijacked by Kris.

Edited by Seazas

• 4 weeks later...

Kris is boring. I would rather have a character that I dislike. At least then I would feel something. At least then there would BE something. I like Corrin better. In some sense she's more dumb and inconsistent but that's good! At least it makes me feel SOMETHING. Like amusement say. Kris does not even have that.

These are just my own feelings about Kris. I'm not saying Kris is an objectively bad character. Maybe there are people who really like him/her. That's perfectly fine more power to them. I'm just expressing how I feel about Kris. From a character point of view. Gameplay-wise, I think they're pretty fun if not just a little too strong.

Edited by tacticsfan999

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The need to add Kris was for the supports. Being the second part of the game, it would be unnatural for a previous character to just take an interest in meeting others in this part of game.

Regarding his/her personality, I love to Kris. Female is cute and Male Kris is so clumsy with the girls.
I will never forget his/her support with Samuel, Phina or Tomas, are very funny!

I know that Kris takes lines from others, but is few compared to the number of lines he/she owns. 

Personally more than a new game, I would have preferred to see him/her in an alternate game like Leif did, joining Seliph.

If I had been the writer, Kris would be Anri's secret descendant.
This is how some threads come together: 

- It would explain why Maclir, Altea warrior decides to train Kris instead of joining Marth.
- The resemblance between Marth and Kris. (Remember that Marth is not a direct descendant of Anri, but of Anri's brother line)
- The curse of the emblem, if it were false, argues why Marth was willing to use the emblem even knowing that the curse would take away a loved one despite loving Shiida above all.
- It gives an interesting moral conflict between following and leading

19 hours ago, kurito said:

The need to add Kris was for the supports. Being the second part of the game, it would be unnatural for a previous character to just take an interest in meeting others in this part of game.

Counterpoint: Kris having such an exhaustive list of support conversation partners while other characters are lucky to get more than one that isn't with Kris is just plain unnatural after the previous games in the series.

We have all manner of supports in other games that people would call crack, what's the problem with adding new relationships here? We have a whole online population that enjoys imagining and even writing possible interactions between characters who don't normally cross. Besides, one of the biggest complaints about Archanea is how flat its cast feels; having them all speak with one single character only goes so far in fixing it. As long as they don't interfere with existing relationships there's no problem.

I challenge the idea Kris is even hated.

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/94145-best-avatar/

According to Serenes, Kris is the second most popular avatar after Robin. Which is particularly impressive considering no one has played New Mystery. All the Avatars are massively hated...while simultaneously being the most popular characters in the series. Kris isn't altogether different in that regard (though coming form a pre Awakening game, and a Japanese pre Awakening game certainly hasn't helped his popularity for things like CYL).