Help/Suggestions for Classes 🗡

I spend way too much thought and time when it comes to this kind of thing, and usually end up more confused, especially when I'm given as much freedom Three Houses gives regarding classes. Here are my thoughts so far: 

Dimitri: High Knight/Wyvern Lord?

Dedue: 

Felix: Mortal Savant

Ashe: Bow Knight

Sylvain: Dark Knight

Mercedes: War Cleric

Annette: Gremory

Ingrid: Falcon Knight

Linhardt: 

Caspar: War Master

Dorothea: Gremory

The ones I've left blank are the ones I truly have no idea about. Feel free to drop any advice or recommendations you wish 🙂

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Dedue can work well in a Gauntlet class, like Grappler or War Master, with access to the rare One-Two Punch combat art. But he also has the boons, and the stats, to tank defensively as a Fortress Knight. He also gets Vengeance, but his only Lancefaire options are Paladin and Great Knight, which require running up against a Riding bane. Wyvern is also an option, but then there's the Flight bane. So, my foremost recommendations are Fortress Knight and War Master.

Linhardt is pretty easy - Bishop all-day, every day. He has an amazing white magic list (namely Physic and Warp), and Bishop is his only class with White Magic Uses x2. You can technically use him as a Warlock or Dark Knight, and he's not bad, but his Reason list just isn't as standout. Trickster and Dark Bishop are theoretical options, but again, they only partially capitalize off his strengths.

Also - do you have a plan for the Professor?

It depends on what difficulty you're playing on and on whether you're looking for the "best" builds or just for something that will be fun. For instance, War Cleric Mercedes is definite not optimal, but it does sound like it would be a lot of fun. One thing that I would recommend against either way is having Felix go into Mortal Savant. When I tried that build it was singularly underwhelming, being neither powerful nor particularly fun to use. If you want to have Felix in a sword class, then Assassin is probably the best choice, though Hero and Swordmaster are not entirely without their merits.

Mortal Savant is a pretty weak class overall, but if you really want to have one then you'll probably have better results with a more magically inclined unit, especially one who learns one of the two magic sword combat arts, Hexblade or Soulblade, like Dorothea or Marianne. Killing fools with a Levin Sword, then pulling out Soulblade/Hexblade on a rapier or wo dao when you need a nuke, and throwing out occasional spells when you need them isn't a terrible build. Though if you do that, it's good to make sure that you have Mage in your class progression so you can pick up Fiendish Blow along the way.

For Linhardt and Dedue, I'll just echo Shanty Pete's 1st Mate. I agree with everything she said in her post, except that I'd probably leave him in Grappler rather than going to War Master if you choose the punching class lines for him.

One other thing I'll note is that you don't have anyone listed as a Dancer. You should have a Dancer. Dancers are good. It doesn't really matter who does it, just so long as you have one.

I would recommend Dimitri in his story classes from part 2 (Wyvern Lord forces you to deal with an axe bane), Felix as Assassin (Mortal Savant doesn't do him much good, especially since his reason list is shallow compared to Lake Hylia in seven years' time), Paladin for Sylvain, Gremory for Mercedes (War Cleric just isn't good), BIshop for Linhardt, and either Fortress Knight or War Master for Dedue , depending on what you want out of him.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Mercedes doesn't have much going for her in War Cleric, so I'd go Bishop/Gremory. Really sucks that Aura Knuckles is A rank.

Annette might be better off as a Dark Knight. It feels like a waste getting more than C rank Faith on her. You could even have her as a Wyvern Rider to rally and use Bolt Axe and Lightning Axe combat art.

If you want a Mortal Savant a character like Dorothea does well in it, but I'd suggest Dancer. You could still get the requirements just to boost her stats a bit.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Dedue can work well in a Gauntlet class, like Grappler or War Master, with access to the rare One-Two Punch combat art. But he also has the boons, and the stats, to tank defensively as a Fortress Knight. He also gets Vengeance, but his only Lancefaire options are Paladin and Great Knight, which require running up against a Riding bane. Wyvern is also an option, but then there's the Flight bane. So, my foremost recommendations are Fortress Knight and War Master.

Linhardt is pretty easy - Bishop all-day, every day. He has an amazing white magic list (namely Physic and Warp), and Bishop is his only class with White Magic Uses x2. You can technically use him as a Warlock or Dark Knight, and he's not bad, but his Reason list just isn't as standout. Trickster and Dark Bishop are theoretical options, but again, they only partially capitalize off his strengths.

Also - do you have a plan for the Professor?

Thanks for your reply! I think I'll end up making Dedue a Fortress Knight since I don't have any armored units so far. I was actually already planning on making Linhardt a Bishop, just wondered if there were any other good options.

About the Professor, I am baffled because again I'm faced with too many options. On my last run I kept him as Enlightened One because 1) I didn't know what to do with them 2) Their stats were higher in this class than in any other class I tried to reclass them too.

4 hours ago, radiantsage said:

About the Professor, I am baffled because again I'm faced with too many options. On my last run I kept him as Enlightened One because 1) I didn't know what to do with them 2) Their stats were higher in this class than in any other class I tried to reclass them too.

I kept the Professor in Enlightened One my first playthrough, and they were pretty good. Swordfaire goes well with the Sword-of-the-Creator, while being a 6-move unit with full spell uses is rare at that point in the game. And Sacred Power is a cool mastery skill to support their students with.

That said, I kind of like Assassin for them, too. It's probably their easiest Advanced ckass to reach, and while it misses out on spells, you have more mobility through forests - not to mention, Lockpick and Stealth. And it's a Swordfaire class, althoughthey do miss out on offensive boosts otherwise. Their best class is Wyvern Lord, probably, but it's also harder to get the Axe and Flight ranks up - say hello to faculty training.

10 hours ago, LoneStar said:

If you want a Mortal Savant a character like Dorothea does well in it, but I'd suggest Dancer. You could still get the requirements just to boost her stats a bit.

Speaking of which, do you have a Dancer in mind? I didn't see anyone listed as such, and it's a powerful role in your army.

Adding to the above, if you don’t have a dancer I would recommend Dorothea as your dancer because she’s not that good stat wise, but she has meteor, high charm, and a boon in swords with hexblade. And you don’t have to waste time getting her past C rank faith (she stops learning spells then).

Looking at your classes as they are, if you want your units to be tHe BeSt in those areas, I would put Felix in assassin and Mercedes in gremory. Mortal Savant is just not a good class for someone who will use magic once per save file, and assassin best capitalizes on Felix’s strengths (other than wyvern lord obviously). As for war cleric, it’s also not a really good class, and Mercedes wants nothing to do with brawling. Gremory lets Mercedes focus on her magic, which is obviously what she wants to do, though typically she’ll rarely be casting offensive spells.

Edited by Sooks

13 hours ago, lenticular said:

It depends on what difficulty you're playing on and on whether you're looking for the "best" builds or just for something that will be fun. For instance, War Cleric Mercedes is definite not optimal, but it does sound like it would be a lot of fun. One thing that I would recommend against either way is having Felix go into Mortal Savant. When I tried that build it was singularly underwhelming, being neither powerful nor particularly fun to use. If you want to have Felix in a sword class, then Assassin is probably the best choice, though Hero and Swordmaster are not entirely without their merits.

Mortal Savant is a pretty weak class overall, but if you really want to have one then you'll probably have better results with a more magically inclined unit, especially one who learns one of the two magic sword combat arts, Hexblade or Soulblade, like Dorothea or Marianne. Killing fools with a Levin Sword, then pulling out Soulblade/Hexblade on a rapier or wo dao when you need a nuke, and throwing out occasional spells when you need them isn't a terrible build. Though if you do that, it's good to make sure that you have Mage in your class progression so you can pick up Fiendish Blow along the way.

For Linhardt and Dedue, I'll just echo Shanty Pete's 1st Mate. I agree with everything she said in her post, except that I'd probably leave him in Grappler rather than going to War Master if you choose the punching class lines for him.

One other thing I'll note is that you don't have anyone listed as a Dancer. You should have a Dancer. Dancers are good. It doesn't really matter who does it, just so long as you have one.

Hello! That is actually a good question, I'm playing on hard mode and am currently looking for a bit of both. Meaning that I want some units to be the best, and with others, especially ones I'm not sure about, simply have some fun. I saw the War Cleric class and indeed it is not optimal but I thought meh, why not? It looks fun. 

Strange that most people recommended Felix not become a Mortal Savant, thought he'd be unbeatable since he has the Reason Hidden Talent.  Now that I read what you wrote I'm thinking of making the Professor into one, lol. 

Gotcha about the dancer. I'll probably end up making Dorothea as one.

13 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would recommend Dimitri in his story classes from part 2 (Wyvern Lord forces you to deal with an axe bane), Felix as Assassin (Mortal Savant doesn't do him much good, especially since his reason list is shallow compared to Lake Hylia in seven years' time), Paladin for Sylvain, Gremory for Mercedes (War Cleric just isn't good), BIshop for Linhardt, and either Fortress Knight or War Master for Dedue , depending on what you want out of him.

Thanks! I actually forgot about Dimitri's axe bane, don't really feel like going around that. Most people recommended Felix not go into Mortal Savant and I'll probs end up making the professor one cause I think he'll do better.

12 hours ago, LoneStar said:

Mercedes doesn't have much going for her in War Cleric, so I'd go Bishop/Gremory. Really sucks that Aura Knuckles is A rank.

Annette might be better off as a Dark Knight. It feels like a waste getting more than C rank Faith on her. You could even have her as a Wyvern Rider to rally and use Bolt Axe and Lightning Axe combat art.

Yup, I'll make Dorothea a dancer.

Also Dark Knight Mercedes is a fantastic idea, thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I kept the Professor in Enlightened One my first playthrough, and they were pretty good. Swordfaire goes well with the Sword-of-the-Creator, while being a 6-move unit with full spell uses is rare at that point in the game. And Sacred Power is a cool mastery skill to support their students with.

That said, I kind of like Assassin for them, too. It's probably their easiest Advanced ckass to reach, and while it misses out on spells, you have more mobility through forests - not to mention, Lockpick and Stealth. And it's a Swordfaire class, althoughthey do miss out on offensive boosts otherwise. Their best class is Wyvern Lord, probably, but it's also harder to get the Axe and Flight ranks up - say hello to faculty training.

Speaking of which, do you have a Dancer in mind? I didn't see anyone listed as such, and it's a powerful role in your army.

I'll actually end up making Dorothea a dancer! Seeing as I'll be better off with Mercedes being a full on magic class.

And maybe I'll try out Mortal Savant for Professor even though I'll probably go back to Enlightened One if that's too unbearable

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Adding to the above, if you don’t have a dancer I would recommend Dorothea as your dancer because she’s not that good stat wise, but she has meteor, high charm, and a boon in swords with hexblade. And you don’t have to waste time getting her past C rank faith (she stops learning spells then).

Looking at your classes as they are, if you want your units to be tHe BeSt in those areas, I would put Felix in assassin and Mercedes in gremory. Mortal Savant is just not a good class for someone who will use magic once per save file, and assassin best capitalizes on Felix’s strengths (other than wyvern lord obviously). As for war cleric, it’s also not a really good class, and Mercedes wants nothing to do with brawling. Gremory lets Mercedes focus on her magic, which is obviously what she wants to do, though typically she’ll rarely be casting offensive spells.

I had my doubts whether I'd actually use offensive spells with Mercedes but come to think of it Gremory would be a neat class for her. 

And when it comes to classes I am looking for both good units but also trying to have some fun with units I won't really use. And try out a lot of classes in general. Thanks for your reply!

47 minutes ago, radiantsage said:

Strange that most people recommended Felix not become a Mortal Savant, thought he'd be unbeatable since he has the Reason Hidden Talent.  Now that I read what you wrote I'm thinking of making the Professor into one, lol.

Thing to note about budding talents: they’re not always very good. In fact, some people would say that most of them aren’t very good, but I’m not here to go over a comprehensive list. What I will tell you is that Felix’s is one of the worst. He gets two spells, and one of them isn’t anything special, and in mortal savant he will only get 12 total magic uses per battle. His magic also isn’t very good, being tied with defense for his lowest base growth. It’s just not worth sacrificing physical offensive prowess, he will effectively just be a worse sword master.

And I have actually used Mortal Savant Felix, I like “”””canon””” classes >.>. I mean he isn’t bad, but that stems from Felix being one of the best units in the game, possibly the best non-lord unit. He just could be better in a different class.

Gotcha about the dancer. I'll probably end up making Dorothea as one.

Excellent use of second best girl. 👌

Incidentally, if you didn’t realize, when you quote someone else, the quote will appear where your cursor was, so you can quote multiple people and not make separate posts. But you’re a semi-forum veteran, you probably knew that. SF acts up a lot. >.>

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Thing to note about budding talents: they’re not always very good. In fact, some people would say that most of them aren’t very good, but I’m not here to go over a comprehensive list. What I will tell you is that Felix’s is one of the worst. He gets two spells, and one of them isn’t anything special, and in mortal savant he will only get 12 total magic uses per battle. His magic also isn’t very good, being tied with defense for his lowest base growth. It’s just not worth sacrificing physical offensive prowess, he will effectively just be a worse sword master.

And I have actually used Mortal Savant Felix, I like “”””canon””” classes >.>. I mean he isn’t bad, but that stems from Felix being one of the best units in the game, possibly the best non-lord unit. He just could be better in a different class.

Excellent use of second best girl. 👌

Incidentally, if you didn’t realize, when you quote someone else, the quote will appear where your cursor was, so you can quote multiple people and not make separate posts. But you’re a semi-forum veteran, you probably knew that. SF acts up a lot. >.>

47 minutes ago, radiantsage said:

I had my doubts whether I'd actually use offensive spells with Mercedes but come to think of it Gremory would be a neat class for her. 

And when it comes to classes I am looking for both good units but also trying to have some fun with units I won't really use. And try out a lot of classes in general. Thanks for your reply!

You mean like this?

I've kind of forgotten how to do stuff here in SF so thanks for reminding me!

Now that you put it that way it makes sense. I kind of realized they weren't something too special, for example I definitely don't want to make Mercedes a bow unit in any way. Felix is an absolute beast anyways, and I find it charming he can also use magic, albeit in that limited way. 

Who's the first best girl I wonder? 🍇

1 minute ago, radiantsage said:

You mean like this?

I've kind of forgotten how to do stuff here in SF so thanks for reminding me!

Precisely, although when people are having two conversations, for lack of a better word, they usually like to type all they’re saying to the first person and then press the quote button for the second person and type again, like how this post looks now.

1 minute ago, radiantsage said:

Who's the first best girl I wonder? 🍇

Edelgard. I am basic. 😎

I have yet to do a Blue Lions playthrough, so I'm mainly just looking at what people recommend. 

I'm surprised to see people recommend Fortress Knight. I know Dedue is pretty much built for it, but I thought that most players thought it wasn't very viable because of its low movement and -10% speed growth modifier (not that Dedue has much of a speed growth to begin with). 

I second everyone saying that you should make Felix an assassin, not just because Mortal Savant isn't really viable, but also because you're currently lacking an assassin unit. I know Ashe's personal skill is a free locktouch, but it's good to have a dedicated thief so you're not storing up on door keys and chest keys, and so you can steal items (though the latter was rarely that useful in the two Three Houses playthroughs I have done so far).

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Edelgard. I am basic. 😎

There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by vanguard333

2 hours ago, radiantsage said:

Hello! That is actually a good question, I'm playing on hard mode and am currently looking for a bit of both. Meaning that I want some units to be the best, and with others, especially ones I'm not sure about, simply have some fun. I saw the War Cleric class and indeed it is not optimal but I thought meh, why not? It looks fun. 

In terms of off-beat and off-meta builds that are fun or interesting but not the best, I like Wyvern Lord Annette (using Bolt Axe/Crusher/Lightning Axe), spell-caster Ingrid (usually either Dark Knight or Dark Flier), and Sniper Mercedes (slow to get going but picks up once you get a Magic Bow and becomes unstoppable when you add Hunter's Volley as well).

39 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I second everyone saying that you should make Felix an assassin, not just because Mortal Savant isn't really viable, but also because you're currently lacking an assassin unit. I know Ashe's personal skill is a free locktouch, but it's good to have a dedicated thief so you're not storing up on door keys and chest keys, and so you can steal items (though the later was rarely that useful in the two Three Houses playthroughs I have done so far).

I don't tend to think this is necessary given how readily available keys are in Three Houses, but it certainly doesn't hurt. And happily enough, Assassin is a strong enough class that you can take it just for its combat ability and then decide for yourself whether you find locktouch worthwhile.

3 hours ago, radiantsage said:

I'll actually end up making Dorothea a dancer! Seeing as I'll be better off with Mercedes being a full on magic class.

And maybe I'll try out Mortal Savant for Professor even though I'll probably go back to Enlightened One if that's too unbearable

Sounds good on the Dancer front! As long as you don't mind having one in chapter 13 (personally, I can make do).

As for the Professor, Mortal Savant could probably work for them. Their spell list is... serviceable, but not outstanding, on either side. Getting that Reason rank up may be something of a chore, though. Still, the class offers an advantage over Enlightened One in spell damage, so that's neat.

Having done Mortal Savant Byleth... Mortal Savant is mostly an upgraded Enlightened One (trades 1 str for 4 effective magic, otherwise nearly identical). Even getting the Reason to C is enough for a 50% certification rate, going higher is obviously nice. Ragnarok does hit quite hard, especially with Byleth's personal giving them a free +2 damage. Unfortunately neither class gets the mage perk of ignoring thickets and sand, but so it goes. It's not their best class, but not a bad one.

Assassin is a fun class, because of Stealth. Unlike some other games in the series, Stealth is basically always effective: leave another target in range and your assassin will be ignored (exceptions: if they draw a monster's attention with a gambit, or I believe when the enemy has Commander). This makes it easy to put an assassin in dangerous situations then use another, tankier unit to take the heat off.

Speaking of tankier units, I definitely recommend stacking defence on Dedue and avoid on Ingrid (hint: raise flying rank to A+); they will both put in good work.