The worst personal ability

I was originally going to pose this as a question, "who has the worst personal ability in the game?" but then I thought about it a bit and... Linhardt. It's Linhardt. Linhardt has the worst personal ability and it isn't even close. So instead, let's have a rant about how terrible it actually is.

For anyone who needs a reminder, this is his personal: "Catnap: If unit takes no action except Wait, recovers up to 10% of max HP." So why is this awful?

The first reason why it's terrible is that it takes up his entire turn if you want to use it. Very few other personals carry this trait. Most of them either make you better at things you're going to be doing anyway (eg Lysithea, Hubert, Petra), or they give you little bonuses that you can use in addition to your regular turn (eg Manuela, Dorothea, Flayn). The only other characters with a personal that takes up their entire turn are Ashe, Dedue, and Hanneman. Of these three, Dedue's and Hanneman's both give substantial stat boosts that can sometimes be worth giving up a turn for, whereas Ashe's is often considered one of the worst personals in the game. So the lesson here is that if your personal takes up your full turn, it had best do something good to make up for it.

(Aside: For anyone who is curious, I'm not including Edelgard's personal from part 2 here because it has two parts to it and while one part requires giving up a turn, the other part is always active. Similarly, I'm including Hanneman but not including Annette and Alois because Hanneman is the only one of the three who doesn't get any other rallies. Annette's and Alois's personals take an action they could already take (rally) and makes it better.)

The second problem is that the effect is incredibly weak. 10% of max HP is not a lot of HP. Linhardt starts the game at 24HP which means 3HP healed. Under his most common class progression he will probably hit about 40HP by level 40 at which point he'll heal either 4 or 5HP depending on how lucky you are. Linhardt's max HP -- which is only going to be reached through grinding or favouritism  -- is 63, which would mean he'd heal 7HP. With class boost, meals and the likes, you could probably push that up to 8HP. Maybe 9HP is possible if you stack enough buffs. Of course, this goes way beyond what you'll encounter in regular play where it's likely to cap out at 5HP, but let's consider it in its best possible light. Even in these circumstances, it is still worse than using a vulnerary. Vulneraries are dirt cheap, buyable in unlimited quantity, and come with three uses per inventory slot. And everyone starts with one in their inventory, so there's never a situation where you have access to Linhardt but not to a vulnerary.

The third major problem is the complete lack of synergy with everything else that Linhardt does. Here are a few character types that might want something like Catnap: a character with high HP who would heal more points from the 10%; a character who takes frequent chip damage and would appreciate regular small heals; a character who does most of their work on enemy phase so wouldn't mind losing their turn; a character who wants to carry multiple weapons and therefore might not have spare inventory space for a vulnerary or concoction; a character who wants to be in a flying class who could combine the effect with Alert Stance or Alert Stance+. Needless to say, Linhardt is none of these things.

More than any other character in the game, Linhardt is set up to be a spell-caster  and only a spell-caster. He is the only playable character who does not have a strength or budding talent in any martial weapon and the only playable character who doesn't learn any combat arts except for the universal ones. He is heavily incentivised to go into a magic class. This means he's mostly going to be on the back lines and not taking any damage. It also means that he's not going to need to be carrying weapons, which means he's always going to have inventory space for the vulneraries that outclass his personal.

And then on top of all of this, as one final insult, there's the fact that it can sometimes be actively detrimental. Not highly detrimental, but still detrimental. Consider this: it is only going to trigger in situations where you have lost some health (obviously) but are not in danger of dying (otherwise you'd use a vulnerary or concoction instead) and don't have anything else to do with your turn that's more important. This will generally mean that it triggers at times when you aren't under any pressure. A lot of the time, it's going to be when you've just leveled up and are 1hp short of max. In circumstances like this, it does close to nothing to actively aid Linhardt's survival but instead ensures that nobody else can get xp by healing him.

So, in summary, Linhardt has a personal that takes his whole turn, is a worse version of a vulnerary, has no synergy with anything else he does, and can sometimes be worse than if he literally didn't have a personal. There are a lot of really bad personals in Three Houses, but this one is the worst. That is all.

(Yes, I have given this way too much thought. Thanks for noticing. And yes, I do fully expect everyone to now tell me why I'm wrong.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's certainly a contender, for me the worst is between him and Marianne. Mounted classes are unlikely to be hanging out among the backline of units to begin with. As a physic healer, she's supposed to be enabling your mounted units to go as far as they like away from the main group. And while there is the crucial difference that Marianne's doesn't require waiting, it begs the question why she's taking hits and how 20%HP is going to make the difference in her survival. 

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

He's certainly a contender, for me the worst is between him and Marianne. Mounted classes are unlikely to be hanging out among the backline of units to begin with. As a physic healer, she's supposed to be enabling your mounted units to go as far as they like away from the main group. And while there is the crucial difference that Marianne's doesn't require waiting, it begs the question why she's taking hits and how 20%HP is going to make the difference in her survival. 

Marianne at least has viable builds other than bishop. With access to Frozen Lance and Soulblade and a strength in both riding and flying, there are front line classes that make sense for her. Not saying they're her best classes, but I can easily imagine running her as an assassin, falcon knight, dark knight, etc. She's more likely to get a little use out of her personal  in those cases than if she's a bishop, whereas Linhardt has no viable builds that take him away from the back lines. Her personal is still trash, of course. Just not quite as trash as Linhardt's.

Raphael's is also pretty dang atrocious, but at least it doesn't waste a turn of his. Still...I may consider it worse.

But the worst personal in the game is Lysithea because she breaks the game regardless of her class because of it.

Edited by Benice

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Raphael's is also pretty dang atrocious, but at least it doesn't waste a turn of his. Still...I may consider it worse.

Seconding this. As bad as Linhardt's is, at least you can count on it. Raphael's ability gives a similarly tiny boost, but at a low, random chance. And when you consider that it'll only activate below full HP, there's a good chance of going the full game without seeing it.

Re: Linhardt's, if you're a total madlad, you could train his Flight rank for a weird "Alert Stance" build - that way, he has an extra incentive to "Wait", rather than chug a Vulnerary. In that case, the healing may be to his benefit, even though "10% of total HP" was a joke to begin with.

5 hours ago, lenticular said:

whereas Linhardt has no viable builds that take him away from the back lines.

Dark Knight Linhardt go brrr. Yeah it's worse for him than Bishop, but so is every other class.

27 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Seconding this. As bad as Linhardt's is, at least you can count on it. Raphael's ability gives a similarly tiny boost, but at a low, random chance. And when you consider that it'll only activate below full HP, there's a good chance of going the full game without seeing it.

Re: Linhardt's, if you're a total madlad, you could train his Flight rank for a weird "Alert Stance" build - that way, he has an extra incentive to "Wait", rather than chug a Vulnerary. In that case, the healing may be to his benefit, even though "10% of total HP" was a joke to begin with.

Dark Knight Linhardt go brrr. Yeah it's worse for him than Bishop, but so is every other class.

Raphael's has the advantage of actually synergising with everything else he does. If you put him into Fortress Knight, he's likely to take occasional chip damage which is precisely the sort of situation which would make you want a little bit of minor incidental healing. I'd also rather have something that might occasionally trigger if I'm lucky than something that will never trigger because there are always better ways to spend a turn.

And Alert Stance/Catnap Linhardt is such a terrible idea that if anyone has ever been tempted to try it seriously then I'd count that as a point against it. It does have some comedy potential for a "terrible builds only" run, at least, so I'll give it partial credit for that.

6 hours ago, lenticular said:

whereas Ashe's is often considered one of the worst personals in the game.

Are you kidding, or do people actually consider it one of the worst? It's a free locktouch that's available without Ashe having to be a thief/assassin/trickster. This allows him to open doors and chests early-game when all your characters are still in the noble/commoner class, so no having to buy chest keys and door keys and you can sell the ones you get from enemies for a little extra cash in the early game. 

Sure, since he's an archer and you'll probably have someone else like Petra or Felix become an assassin, it's best to have him go down the archer/sniper class tree and pick off enemies from a great distance, so it'll only be situationally useful after everyone starts promoting. But what's wrong with situationally useful? It's not ideal, but it isn't bad.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I made my Marianne a dancer (she has her own magic sword, it lets her use magic, her flying boon makes it easy to obtain movement +1, so it's actually really viable for her), so she does usually end up close to one of my units by the end of the turn because of her dance ability. I don't have her fight very often, but the few times I do would explain her taking damage. 20% doesn't make much of a difference, especially because she's not my only healer, but it makes more of a difference than Linhardt's 10%. Her personal is extremely situational and limited, but there being situations at all makes it better than Linhardt's. 

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Are you kidding, or do people actually consider it one of the worst? It's a free locktouch that's available without Ashe having to be a thief/assassin/trickster. This allows him to open doors and chests early-game when all your characters are still in the noble/commoner class, so no having to buy chest keys and door keys and you can sell the ones you get from enemies for a little extra cash in the early game. 

Sure, since he's an archer and you'll probably have someone else like Petra or Felix become an assassin, it's best to have him go down the archer/sniper class tree and pick off enemies from a great distance, so it'll only be situationally useful after everyone starts promoting. But what's wrong with situationally useful? It's not ideal, but it isn't bad.

Not kidding. I consider it one of the worst, and I've seen other people express the same opinion. The basic problem is that it's entirely replicated by keys, keys are infinitely buyable from the merchant, and Three Houses is not a game where money is at all hard to come by. It can sometimes be convenient for moments of "I'm too lazy to buy keys" or "oops, I forgot to buy keys" but I have never had a single instance where being able to afford keys was an issue. It's a money-saver in a game where money isn't an issue.

For me, it's at its best at times when you want to be able to open a chest but can't afford the inventory slot for a key. That's very niche, though, and is something you can also do with convoy access instead if you absolutely need it.

12 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Not kidding. I consider it one of the worst, and I've seen other people express the same opinion. The basic problem is that it's entirely replicated by keys, keys are infinitely buyable from the merchant, and Three Houses is not a game where money is at all hard to come by. It can sometimes be convenient for moments of "I'm too lazy to buy keys" or "oops, I forgot to buy keys" but I have never had a single instance where being able to afford keys was an issue. It's a money-saver in a game where money isn't an issue.

For me, it's at its best at times when you want to be able to open a chest but can't afford the inventory slot for a key. That's very niche, though, and is something you can also do with convoy access instead if you absolutely need it.

I suppose. I just think it's convenient to have what is essentially a free locktouch before I have any thief units, and an additional locktouch after I have a thief unit. It's niche, but it's nice to have.

Personally, I'd say Goody Basket is worse. 10% is already insignificant, but making it have a chance to trigger based on luck - a stat that literally only two units have growths above 50% in - doesn't help, as it means you will probably never have it get to the point where this can even be relied on.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Part of the problem is, Ashe's stats and personal arts don't lend themselves to great combat. And his personal does him no favors on the combat front. Compare to, say, Bernadetta - she's similarly soft and squishy, except she's got a great combat-boosting personal skill, and she learns Vengeance. Even Ignatz, who struggles to do damage, can at least hit reliably at longer ranges thanks to his personal skill.

I've had some fun with Ashe, granted - Wyvern Ashe is one of my favorite builds, both for mending his combat woes somewhat, and for letting him function as a flying lockpick. Still, any flier can be a great burglar with a Chest Key in tow.

16 hours ago, lenticular said:

And then on top of all of this, as one final insult, there's the fact that it can sometimes be actively detrimental. Not highly detrimental, but still detrimental. Consider this: it is only going to trigger in situations where you have lost some health (obviously) but are not in danger of dying (otherwise you'd use a vulnerary or concoction instead) and don't have anything else to do with your turn that's more important. This will generally mean that it triggers at times when you aren't under any pressure. A lot of the time, it's going to be when you've just leveled up and are 1hp short of max. In circumstances like this, it does close to nothing to actively aid Linhardt's survival but instead ensures that nobody else can get xp by healing him.

This can easily be avoided by just not using it. Ending your turn without using the wait command doesn't activate such skills in Three Houses (it did in Fates for skills like Hisame and Kiragi's personals). I suppose there could be some instances where you need to move Linhardt somewhere and he's just levelled up and you might be forced to use the wait command, but in such cases throwing up a Ward on someone is probably easy enough. Overall I wish such skills did activate when  you end your turn without using units, always ywant those Alert Stance boosts even if I'm forgetting where a unit is or am just happy with their placement.

Here's a thought I had. The personal I hate most is Cyril's: being Aptitude. This skill buffs your growths by 20% each. Sounds good... except, it *only means something when it's not a personal and/or can be passed down. Since it *is* a personal, it's not really a "skill": more a giant sign that says "Hey, everybody, I have the best growth rates in the cast."

56 minutes ago, GlitchWarrior said:

Here's a thought I had. The personal I hate most is Cyril's: being Aptitude. This skill buffs your growths by 20% each. Sounds good... except, it *only means something when it's not a personal and/or can be passed down. Since it *is* a personal, it's not really a "skill": more a giant sign that says "Hey, everybody, I have the best growth rates in the cast."

Yeah, I was gonna say Cyril because he, functionally, has no personal skill. 

1 hour ago, GlitchWarrior said:

Which we wouldn't need if IS would just finally stop hiding growths from us.

Well, if you removed Cyril's personal skill from the game, and replaced it with absolutely nothing, he'd be that much worse as a unit. Rag on the game's dumb design decisions all you like, but his personal isn't nothing.

It's not as if Cyril's growths are even particularly out of line with those of other units, even after Aptitude. They're almost the same as Petra's, for instance (same str/spd/def/cha, 5-10% more in other less important stats). So it's either the best personal skill (if you take it literally; every character would happily trade theirs to get +20% to all growths = roughly 8 more points in every stat by game's end) or the worst (if you consider Cyril's growths to be his post-Aptitude growths, at which point the skill is functionally not doing anything.

Anyway I agree with Linhardt's being the worst, for reasons already said. At best it maybe, maybe saves you a vulnerary (at the cost of healing notably less). And everything about Linhardt's build makes him unlikely to take advantage of it, bad as it is. I also agree that it might even slightly be a net negative, for the reasons @lenticular already covered.

Raphael is another I consider nearly useless. Petra's is honestly pretty bad too; how often are you attacking something below half health which you somehow aren't expecting to kill? Maybe one or two bosses on their later lifebars.

13 hours ago, lenticular said:

The inventory slot is definitely the bigger issue than the money to me, especially if you plan to go snag two different chests (at which point you'll need two inventory slots... no multiuse chest keys like some of the earlier games). Inventory slots are pretty valuable in this game I find, every slot is another option, and eating 1-2 of them just to open chests is definitely a weakness I notice. As you observe, "has access to convoy" is just as good (an underrated advantage Byleth has IMO), of course. Ashe's personal still isn't amazing by any means, but I wouldn't put it in the running for worst in the game. At a rough glance, I'd rate Ashe's personal above Linhardt's, Raphael's, Petra's, Dorothea's, Marianne's, and Catherine's at minimum. And there are a bunch of others I find comparable.

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, I'd say Goody Basket is worse. 10% is already insignificant, but making it have a chance to trigger based on luck - a stat that literally only two units have growths above 50% in - doesn't help, as it means you will probably never have it get to the point where this can even be relied on.

Goody Basket is terrible, but I still like it more than Catnap. It definitely isn't something that I'd ever rely on, but it's at least possible for it to be vaguely useful occasionally. Even if it only triggers once per game, that's still more use than I'm ever getting from Catnap.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

This can easily be avoided by just not using it. Ending your turn without using the wait command doesn't activate such skills in Three Houses (it did in Fates for skills like Hisame and Kiragi's personals). I suppose there could be some instances where you need to move Linhardt somewhere and he's just levelled up and you might be forced to use the wait command, but in such cases throwing up a Ward on someone is probably easy enough. Overall I wish such skills did activate when  you end your turn without using units, always ywant those Alert Stance boosts even if I'm forgetting where a unit is or am just happy with their placement.

Huh. For some reason I thought that ending turn did trigger "on wait" type skills. Maybe because I've been playing Fates recently. Or maybe because I usually have everyone manually stand in place rather than doing end turn since that means I'm less likely to forget about someone I was supposed to move. Not that it makes a great deal of difference to my overall assessment, but it is still good to know.

2 hours ago, GlitchWarrior said:

I definitely consider Cyril a contender for "most annoying personal skill" and "worst designed personal skill", but not for the worst in terms of power level. For a long while, I've wished that Cyril's personal gave a bonus to his class growths. Give him normal or even slightly below average looking growths, but then double the growths he gets from his class. So, put him in swordmaster and it would give him +40 to his speed growth (compared to +20 for other swordmasters). Put him in Fortress Knight and he'd get +30 to his defence growth. And so on. It would take some fairly careful balancing, but I think something along those general lines would have more potential to be interesting than what we got.

43 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The inventory slot is definitely the bigger issue than the money to me, especially if you plan to go snag two different chests (at which point you'll need two inventory slots... no multiuse chest keys like some of the earlier games). Inventory slots are pretty valuable in this game I find, every slot is another option, and eating 1-2 of them just to open chests is definitely a weakness I notice. As you observe, "has access to convoy" is just as good (an underrated advantage Byleth has IMO), of course. Ashe's personal still isn't amazing by any means, but I wouldn't put it in the running for worst in the game. At a rough glance, I'd rate Ashe's personal above Linhardt's, Raphael's, Petra's, Dorothea's, Marianne's, and Catherine's at minimum. And there are a bunch of others I find comparable.

Technically, there are multi-use chest keys, in the form of master keys which have 3 charges and are available for 200 renown form the pagan altar. Though, given that's DLC only and that renown is not as easy to come by as gold, that doesn't change the assessment much except for people who have the DLC and are playing on NG+. I think master keys might also drop occasionally from the amiibo gazebo, but I'm not certain of that, and even if I'm right then it's even less relevant than the pagan altar.

I think that part of the region why I don't like Ashe's personal is that I like using fliers for chests, and I don't like putting Ashe on a wyvern. I would probably get more use out of it if I did. As is, I would his below Petra's or Dorothea's but above the others you mentioned. Not the absolute worst, but definitely down there.

@lenticular Wyvern and Sniper are the main two classes I'd consider for Ashe, and yeah, Sniper's not great for chest-opening (nor are archer or brigand, his two most likely classes in Intermediate tier... nor is Dancer, another class I'd consider for him). It definitely pays off more if you send him to Wyvern. He's a decent one, of course, and yeah his personal becomes more useful if he is one, but it's a fair point that flying battalions are somewhat limited on Azure Moon (where Ashe is most likely to see play), and you may prefer to hand them to units with better overall stats than Ashe.

Here's a question for the room. How would you feel about Linhardt's personal skill if it wasn't on using the wait command, but a flat every turn? Because personally I think under those circumstances it'd still be pretty lousy given how little it heals and how little incentive you have to actually use Linhardt as a front liner. It definitely wouldn't be the worst skill if it was just renewal, but it'd still be less than useful. 10% of max HP is just a really poor rate in Fire Emblem. It's why I've never seen much use for Shigure's personal in Fates either. You'd need to reach a 100 HP before 10% is even comparable to a vulnary, and vulnaries heal so little most of us barely ever even use them.

3 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

@lenticular Wyvern and Sniper are the main two classes I'd consider for Ashe, and yeah, Sniper's not great for chest-opening (nor are archer or brigand, his two most likely classes in Intermediate tier... nor is Dancer, another class I'd consider for him). It definitely pays off more if you send him to Wyvern. He's a decent one, of course, and yeah his personal becomes more useful if he is one, but it's a fair point that flying battalions are somewhat limited on Azure Moon (where Ashe is most likely to see play), and you may prefer to hand them to units with better overall stats than Ashe.

Sniper and Dancer are the two classes I've run him as, and that definitely colours my perception of his personal. (Well, technically I've also tried him as a Paladin, which does make his personal a bit better, but only up until the point where I dropped him for being terrible at everything else. That build did not work well for him.) I know that he's supposed to be good on a wyvern, but due to a combination of lack of flying batallions and my own personal preference for class diversity, I've always chosen to go with other people who are better at it than him.

24 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Here's a question for the room. How would you feel about Linhardt's personal skill if it wasn't on using the wait command, but a flat every turn? Because personally I think under those circumstances it'd still be pretty lousy given how little it heals and how little incentive you have to actually use Linhardt as a front liner. It definitely wouldn't be the worst skill if it was just renewal, but it'd still be less than useful. 10% of max HP is just a really poor rate in Fire Emblem. It's why I've never seen much use for Shigure's personal in Fates either. You'd need to reach a 100 HP before 10% is even comparable to a vulnary, and vulnaries heal so little most of us barely ever even use them.

Yeah, it would still be bad but a lot less bad. They could even make it "gain 10% hp every turn and an extra 20% hp if you took no action other than wait", and that would probably still be on the weak side.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Goody Basket is terrible, but I still like it more than Catnap. It definitely isn't something that I'd ever rely on, but it's at least possible for it to be vaguely useful occasionally. Even if it only triggers once per game, that's still more use than I'm ever getting from Catnap.

That isn't something I can agree with - Linhardt won't always have something to do, after all. On Goody Basket, if the healing was going to be that low, then they at least should have the trigger the Luck stat x3 or something - even on Raphael, who has the most HP of anyone in the game, a chance of slight healing that probably won't get anywhere over 20% by the time the game is over is just bad, no matter which way you slice it (also, even by endgame, on the off chance it triggers, it's less healing than a vulnerary, which would long be obsolete at that point; to put things into perspective, you'd need at least 91 HP for Goody Basket to equal a vulnerary in terms of healing, considering that the game rounds up for percent based healing. That's absurd).

48 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It'd still not be good, because 10% is not a lot, no matter which way you slice it. I'd imagine IntSys realized this when they buffed Renewal to heal 30% HP (up from the 10% it was in Tellius) in Awakening and Fates. And I can see where you were coming from with regard to Shigure's personal - I consider it one of the worst personals that isn't either detrimental to the user or Born Steward, largely because not only is the healing so minor as to be insignificant, they need lower health than Shigure for it to work. And frankly, if they really need the healing, using a concoction or a staff will heal way more.

Edited by Shadow Mir

30 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Outside of early game, Felix's skill might be worse just because the buffs battalions can give you are too good to pass up.

Takes a while for Battalions to give buffs that out strip is personal in raw damage output if I recall correctly. And Felix's has a weakness in authority, so getting him the ranks to use good batallions can take up valuable teaching that could be going into something else. And even with all that considered, should you end up losing your battalion mid map, I believe Felix's personal skill will kick in hence forth. So all in all I think it's a pretty decent skill. Better than Cathrine's if I remember correctly. As hers is basically just his only for defense instead.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Takes a while for Battalions to give buffs that out strip is personal in raw damage output if I recall correctly. And Felix's has a weakness in authority, so getting him the ranks to use good batallions can take up valuable teaching that could be going into something else. And even with all that considered, should you end up losing your battalion mid map, I believe Felix's personal skill will kick in hence forth. So all in all I think it's a pretty decent skill. Better than Cathrine's if I remember correctly. As hers is basically just his only for defense instead.

That's not necessarily true - some E rank battalions give attack boosts that are almost as good.