Fighting Games

Tsubasa

Who else in here loves to play some fighting games? I'm so into fighting games, even if I'm only mostly average at them. I've been playing them for so long that I think it's probably one of the first genres I ever experienced besides platformers and puzzle games!

I own so many fighting games across my various systems that it's absurd. I'm mainly a 2D Fighting Game player but sometimes I'll play a 3D fighter. It's mostly a personal preference since I can focus better when it's just an X and Y axis. Add in Z for me to worry about and hoo boy.

I never really got too much experience playing in the arcades but thanks to the Internet (and if a company implements good netcode... Please just use GGPO for everything, I beg of you.) I can now just play matches with friends over the Internet either the game's built in online mode or even using something like FightCade! Thankfully I have literally everything I need to get to playing on really anything these days. I have a computer now that can handle most games coming out in the past and present (maybe even future!) If people play on Console or PC, lemme know! We can get a few casual fights in!

Guilty Gear is probably my favorite series of all time and I've played it religiously for so many years now. I love it so much and each new game just makes me more excited!! ArcSys really knows how to get a good fighting game put together. Rev2 is probably the most fun I've had with the series since AC+R and I'm just patiently waiting until I get my hands on Strive and go absolutely wild. (Playing the beta recently was such a blast, even if that lobby system needs to GO.)

You can find me playing these games at any time:

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 (PS4 or Steam)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (PS4)
Granblue Fantasy Versus (PS4)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core+R (PS3 or Steam)
Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (Steam)
MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code (Steam)
The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (Steam)
The King of Fighters XIII (Steam)
Killer Instinct (Steam)

What games do you all play? Have any history with the genre? I'd love to hear what people play, how they engage and maybe even make a few likeminded friends!

I love fighting game. I played all these games above. But i like the most is M.U.G.E.N. With mugen, I can add alll charaters from different games into 1 game.Also there are OC charaters from various authors. Really amazing! The hardest part is I have to balance all charater from various different games, you know, like all there fighting games have different game mechanic. 

- About fighting games I've played. Well.... All games from neogeo, mame, winkawaks. But I think top 5 I like the most :

- Samurai Showdown 6. Love Suija, Sogetsu

- Bloddy Roar. Love all versions. 

- Guilty Gear . I like old design of baiken. 

- Dead or Alive . Fanservice aside. I think this is top fighting game just behind Tekken. 

- And top above all is M.U.G.E.N.

Edited by Hasechi

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh wow I'm pretty behind the times on my Type Moon. I might get that.

If you want to play online, I advise you to download the community version. You can find it on their Discord here. Melty Blood remake when? Tsukihime remake is already around the corner.

10 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Have any history with the genre?

A history, yes; a current, no. I was quite into the genre around the boom period of the early to mid nineties. Street Fighter II and the original Mortal Kombat, obviously, but also stuff that I never hear anyone talk about these days. World Heroes was another of my favourites did anyone play that? I mained Rasputin Rasputin because I loved how ridiculous his big glowy magic hands were. Or there was Pit-Fighter. I never played the arcade version so that might have been good, but the port to the Amstrad CPC was the single worst game I have ever had the misfortune of playing. Nearly 30 years since and I'm still bitter about the money I spent on that.

I kinda lost interest after that. Partly because of how much Capcom were milking Street Fighter, partly because I didn't really care for the early jumps to 3D, and partly because of other priorities in my life at the time. The only fighting game I've really played since then is Smash Bros. Which is Smash Bros. I sometimes feel tempted to revisit the genre and see how far it's come, except that all I ever seem to hear about it is either toxic elitism or microtransaction hell, both of which are extremely offputting. Plus, my reflexes and manually dexterity these days are both completely rubbish, which I'm sure would not help.

I used to play Tekken with my cousin on his PS2 quite a few years ago. I think it was either 4 or 5 because it had Christie in it - who might be a bit unpopular, but was still one of the main motivations for me to try out capoeira... shame I had to stop thanks to the lockdown. Well anyways, after my cousin sold his console I hadn't really played any fighting game, save for a round or two of newer Tekken titles at parties. I never really liked Mortal Kombat, but I've played a few rounds just to be able to say "yes, I've tried it, but I don't like it". It's just... it's just needlessly brutal and gorey for me.

Last christmas - as I moved back home until I finish my studies since there are only online classes anyways - we bought a ps4 with my siblings, and the first game we bought for it was Tekken 7. It was such a nice wave of nostalgia, even though two of my favourites are not in the game (Raven, Christie). I haven't really played much after the semester started, but I'll probably pick it up for a round or two again when I host a party or something. After the virus ends, of course.

The last few days I was thinking about buying Granblue Fantasy Versus, but I can't justify spending $60 on it with my country's currency being at an almost all time low, and not much time to play anyways. Maybe in the summer....

So yeah, while I do have a little experience with fighting games, and I do like playing them from time to time with my siblings or friends, I never really play online or try to get more serious about it, and playing offline solo is not really fun enough to buy more and more of them. Even at my best I'm quite bad at games (in general, that's why I always leaned more towards story-focused, turned based games - or straight out reading a book), and online play doesn't really attract me anyways, so I mostly just play them as a social thing with friends.

Yeah, but If you add together all the fighting games I've ever played, they wouldn't equal the amount of time I've put into Smash. My PS3's loaded up with the Street fighter alpha trilogy. I played a lot of street fighter 4 and marvel 3 when they were still relevant, but I didn't understand most of the mechanics for either game, and largely just beat up CPUs. More recently I spent a lot of time in Tekken 7. I found that the CPUs were woefully unequipped to deal with Akuma's hadoken, since it's not a game where projectiles are typically a thing. I tried to learn a more Tekken-y character, with stances and not being able to hit cancel into things. I've concluded that I like Tekken's emphasis on movement, but characters just have way too many options at any given time of wildly varying effectiveness. It was overwhelming to try and find easy bread and butter strings when you've got hundreds of moves. The sample combos are all ten hit stuff that's way too advanced for just picking up a new character. 

And the other day I tried out KOF13. I suck at it. Maybe because it's been a while since I toyed with capcom fighters, but I am not nailing basic special motions. I am using a crummy 360 d-pad, but I always got the hang of it before. Seems like there's no input buffer. Or the game is just too strict on how fast or how precise the motion's got to be. Or the game just has lower hitlag than other fighters, and it's not counting your next move unless it's input during those specific frames. But what the game does have is alternative inputs that are making me do the wrong thing. For instance, instead of a shoryuken motion, you can do quarter circle back, then forward. What? That is so incredibly random, and it's not like these alternative inputs are any easier to perform. Between trying to move and use the right normals, the game is misinterpreting my inputs all the time. I try to use Athena's psycho ball, but if I'm holding forward too early, psycho sword is what comes out - an extremely laggy, short range move, pretty much the opposite of what I'm trying to do. And I bet that specific alternative input is an even bigger headache with the characters that have to do half circle motions. I'll give the game another shot, maybe check online for character recommendations, but I'm surprised at how the game doesn't make it easy on you. I did do the tutorial, apparently I'm one of just 17% of players who managed to finish it. So it's clear I'm not the only one having trouble out there with these inputs.

Edited by Glennstavos