TAS 20XX's FE3 Portraits

TAS 20XX

Just wanted to get some opinions on these portraits I made for a ROM hack since I'm a beginner and I have, like, 80 more portraits to finish. They're all 100% custom (though I used other characters as reference while I was making them), and I tried to base them off of their designs from FE3.

Spoiler

FE1.png.fd7ef6e14cdc10c8ab2db7068bca9cc0.png

Edited by TAS 20XX
Added B2 Linde

Is this your first time making mugs? It might be helpful to splice some, especially if you're trying to make 80 of them! 

Upper left portrait: I think the left eyebrow is missing. Or very muted. The face looks pretty good overall. The hair could use some work with strand placement or tiara placement. Some of the bangs look like they're all coming from the same spot on the head. The tiara could also flow into the hair smoother. The rim on the right shoulder plate is pretty wobbly.

Upper middle portrait: Their neck seems a bit too long. Also the two eyes seem to be shaped differently. The bangs again seem confused and to be flowing in all different directions. The shading on the neck also seems like it doesn't match the shape of the chin and the source of the light. The right shoulder guard should probably have the shading adjusted to add a bit of shadow on the lower right. The hand seems a bit off with the finger widths, not that that's easy to get right.

Upper right: I like the hair on this one the most so far, especially the lower left section. And I appreciate the different expression. The hood seems like it could use more wrinkles at appropriate places. I would use a model if at all possible. Looking at the hand on this one too, I think you could make the hands a little bit larger. There should be more of a suggestion of middle, ring, pinkie, and thumb fingers for that hand. 

Middle left: The head seems a bit too small/narrow. If the back part of the clothing is meant to be a hood, I would use a model of a similar situation to draw it. I don't know about the lines on the back section of hair. The shading and light source could be more consistent. The face is shaded like the light is directly above them to the left, except there is no shadow from the bangs. The shoulder is shaded as if the lighting is coming from the upper right. 

Center: The eyebrows don't match in shape. I think if the whole section of hair was moved a pixel to the left I would feel better about its placement. Again, I would define the area around the edges of the tiara, by using shadow with the strands of hair there. 

Middle right: I don't like the bangs here either. 😕 The pony tail and the hair wrapper seem decent, though. For the body, the shoulders don't slope down like they should. It looks like you made an attempt to define the clavicle or that could be just the seam between the neck and the rest of the shirt. If it's the clavicle, the two sides should look more symetrical and the center should be to the left a little. If it's just a definition of the neck, I would make sure the shadows curve like a cylinder.

Bottom left: Looking at the eyes, they're a little too far apart, but I kind of like it. The bangs look good. I don't like that the right shoulder pad is in front of the hair. I can't see what's going on with the hand. The right shoulder should be out a little more. And/Or the left shoulder should be in a little more. 

Bottom middle: The ear should be up a little more. There's a bang on the right hand side that looks awkward. I think you should define the strands of hair coming over the left shoulder some more. The left collarbone isn't in line with the shoulder and chest. 

Bottom right: I like that you added some individual strand definition to the hair in the back. I see that you changed a number of things from the other one. I appreciate that you covered up the ear hole that was bothering me a bit. The collar isn't quite smooth. You could round that out a bit. This outfit has the most details and is the most visually interesting one. I think the left shoulder should be just a little larger, to make sense in this position.

So this is partially a style thing, but with the hair, I prefer to define smaller strands, instead of leaving large chunks a solid color. 

I've been looking at experienced folks' pixel art to learn better ways to do things. But just doing it to gain experience is also an important part of the process. I hope my comments were helpful. I tried to be thorough.

3 hours ago, Sturges said:

Is this your first time making mugs? It might be helpful to splice some, especially if you're trying to make 80 of them! 

Upper left portrait: I think the left eyebrow is missing. Or very muted. The face looks pretty good overall. The hair could use some work with strand placement or tiara placement. Some of the bangs look like they're all coming from the same spot on the head. The tiara could also flow into the hair smoother. The rim on the right shoulder plate is pretty wobbly.

Upper middle portrait: Their neck seems a bit too long. Also the two eyes seem to be shaped differently. The bangs again seem confused and to be flowing in all different directions. The shading on the neck also seems like it doesn't match the shape of the chin and the source of the light. The right shoulder guard should probably have the shading adjusted to add a bit of shadow on the lower right. The hand seems a bit off with the finger widths, not that that's easy to get right.

Upper right: I like the hair on this one the most so far, especially the lower left section. And I appreciate the different expression. The hood seems like it could use more wrinkles at appropriate places. I would use a model if at all possible. Looking at the hand on this one too, I think you could make the hands a little bit larger. There should be more of a suggestion of middle, ring, pinkie, and thumb fingers for that hand. 

Middle left: The head seems a bit too small/narrow. If the back part of the clothing is meant to be a hood, I would use a model of a similar situation to draw it. I don't know about the lines on the back section of hair. The shading and light source could be more consistent. The face is shaded like the light is directly above them to the left, except there is no shadow from the bangs. The shoulder is shaded as if the lighting is coming from the upper right. 

Center: The eyebrows don't match in shape. I think if the whole section of hair was moved a pixel to the left I would feel better about its placement. Again, I would define the area around the edges of the tiara, by using shadow with the strands of hair there. 

Middle right: I don't like the bangs here either. 😕 The pony tail and the hair wrapper seem decent, though. For the body, the shoulders don't slope down like they should. It looks like you made an attempt to define the clavicle or that could be just the seam between the neck and the rest of the shirt. If it's the clavicle, the two sides should look more symetrical and the center should be to the left a little. If it's just a definition of the neck, I would make sure the shadows curve like a cylinder.

Bottom left: Looking at the eyes, they're a little too far apart, but I kind of like it. The bangs look good. I don't like that the right shoulder pad is in front of the hair. I can't see what's going on with the hand. The right shoulder should be out a little more. And/Or the left shoulder should be in a little more. 

Bottom middle: The ear should be up a little more. There's a bang on the right hand side that looks awkward. I think you should define the strands of hair coming over the left shoulder some more. The left collarbone isn't in line with the shoulder and chest. 

Bottom right: I like that you added some individual strand definition to the hair in the back. I see that you changed a number of things from the other one. I appreciate that you covered up the ear hole that was bothering me a bit. The collar isn't quite smooth. You could round that out a bit. This outfit has the most details and is the most visually interesting one. I think the left shoulder should be just a little larger, to make sense in this position.

So this is partially a style thing, but with the hair, I prefer to define smaller strands, instead of leaving large chunks a solid color. 

I've been looking at experienced folks' pixel art to learn better ways to do things. But just doing it to gain experience is also an important part of the process. I hope my comments were helpful. I tried to be thorough.

Thanks for the thorough feedback! Yeah, this is my first time making mugs. I considered splicing, but I thought overall it wouldn't look nearly as good as it potentially good if I did, especially when looking at work from people who really know what they're doing. When I was making Marth's (top left) portrait, I had no idea what I was doing, so the bangs came out pretty terrible and the hair was lacking in detail, I really need to go back and fix that. I thought I did a pretty decent job with Caeda's (top middle) portrait, but you managed to pointed out a lot of obvious mistakes. I also think I did pretty decent with Lena's (top right) portrait, and I totally agree that I need to fix the hood. I got way too ambitious with Julian's (middle left) portrait and thought I could do a completely different perspective, definitely need to go back and fix that...  Maria's (center) portrait definitely also could use some work, I couldn't really decide what to do with the hair. Linde's portrait (middle right)... Yeah, I spent so much time trying to do the hair right, and the bangs came out pretty bad in the end. I lost you a bit at the second part of your description though. I thought I did a bad job with Palla (bottom left), definitely plan on going back and making a new portrait soon. Same thing with Elice (bottom middle). Your comment helps a lot actually, thanks.