(spoilers, maybe?) Proving that every final boss is a dragon

indigoasis

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Throwing in some intelligent monsters into the game wouldn't be the worst idea either. Some chapters do just have a generic monster as the boss which always felt a bit weak to me (I mean like narratively, the monsters themselves typically had appropriate boss stats).

What kind of intelligence to give monsters though? Giving them diverse anthropic personalities runs into one significant issue- Sacred Stones already has too many significant enemy commanders for the amount of game- Riev, Valter, Caellach, Selena, Glen, Orson, two Lyons, Vigarde, Formortiis.

I'm thinking it'd be better for them to be radically communal and selfless. "My life has one true meaning, to serve the Demon King. He advances the cause of all monsters. He is the leader of me and my brethren, our feeling nothing at the thought of our deaths, for we are naught, the whole of the dark hordes is all. Humans, we shall rip you limb from limb." Bestial, mechanical, certainly not human, it'd make the personality of each generic monster boss contribute to the next, because they'd all think the same way.

15 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Some people do it well, and some people do it wrong. The marriages which are not intimate are "bad marriages" on account of falling short of the prescriptive standard of marriage. I hear it's a problem over there, I hope they get some help.

Well Ashnard's marriage to Almedha is of such variety. I think Almedha says she hadn't even seen Ashnard since her son was born. So no intimate association there. Ashnard is only legally married, not spiritually. Thus legally a dragon, and not a dragon by intimate association...unless one wants to attribute that to his relationship with Rajaion...

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What kind of intelligence to give monsters though? Giving them diverse anthropic personalities runs into one significant issue- Sacred Stones already has too many significant enemy commanders for the amount of game- Riev, Valter, Caellach, Selena, Glen, Orson, two Lyons, Vigarde, Formortiis.

I'm thinking it'd be better for them to be radically communal and selfless. "My life has one true meaning, to serve the Demon King. He advances the cause of all monsters. He is the leader of me and my brethren, our feeling nothing at the thought of our deaths, for we are naught, the whole of the dark hordes is all. Humans, we shall rip you limb from limb." Bestial, mechanical, certainly not human, it'd make the personality of each generic monster boss contribute to the next, because they'd all think the same way.

You're right in saying that the game has a lot of villains as is, but I still expect in the world of a remake they would add a Berkut or Erimiya to the game, might as well make it a monster for flavor. Course going by previous remake history, they probably wouldn't bother giving names and faces to generic monster enemies given they didn't invent any new minor bosses for Shadows of Valentia (imo the Brigand Boss and the first Cantor Celica meets absolutely should have been given names).

Edited by Jotari

Adding intelligent monsters sounds a bit silly to me. I think they work perfectly fine as brainless automatons, adding characterization to them seems like it would just involve more writing and dialogue for no additional benefit.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well Ashnard's marriage to Almedha is of such variety. I think Almedha says she hadn't even seen Ashnard since her son was born. So no intimate association there.

Bad marriage is still a marriage, and though not properly intimate, there is association.

Ashnard is only legally married, not spiritually.

Though the spiritual pertains to the decrees of God*, to whose decrees do we refer when speaking of the legal?

*- This is for rhetorical effect and not indicative of my half-baked attempt at a comprehensive viewpoint

Thus legally a dragon, and not a dragon by intimate association...unless one wants to attribute that to his relationship with Rajaion...

He is riding the poor guy all the time. Kinda gross really.

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You're right in saying that the game has a lot of villains as is, but I still expect in the world of a remake they would add a Berkut or Erimiya to the game, might as well make it a monster for flavor.

Cue SoV Nuibaba 2.0, this time she doesn't summon a gorgon, she is one.

If thou must have give SS a new villain in a remake, make it female. Selena stands alone in this right now. Not sure what a good idea would be for this hypothetical villainess. The above example is boring, yet I cannot think of anything else. Barring that little girl Lyon saved perhaps, undermining Lyon's initial elation at her survival, she has been tainted by the unholy power of the Sacred Stone. She is drawn to Lyon, her savior and bearer of the Dark Stone the source of much evil, she understands not why she wants what she truly wants, nor what she is even doing. But she embraces the darkness and becomes something more than human for the sake of protecting what she wants to protect. Eir!Lyon is the Demon King, so he Is fine sacrificing a human girl, while Eph!Lyon thinks she is a noble ally in his goal of saving Grado.

I do think far far far better ideas could be proposed though!

On 3/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, indigoasis said:

(From the Fire Emblem Wiki.) 

The Fire Dragon, at is most commonly referred to, is the final boss of Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. It is in the Fire Dragon class. It wields Flametongue as it's primary weapon, which is a weapon type typically wielded exclusively by dragons. It also greatly resembles a dragon in appearance and mannerisms, shooting fire from it's mouth at it's adversaries and generally being kind of a jerk.

In Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade, there is a weapon known as Durandal, which is wielded by Eliwood. It increases his strength by 5 points, and has a unique attribute in that it is effective against dragons, which means that the damage it deals to dragons is substantially increased. (For some reason, weapon effectiveness only doubles damage instead of tripling it in the English releases of FE7, which is odd, but whatever). The Fire Dragon, which is the final boss of Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade, is weak to Durandal. That is to say, Durandal deals effective damage (or double the damage that it normally would against non-dragon enemies) to the Fire Dragon.

With all of this in mind, as well as the evidence presented, as well as well as the case being made, I can come to the conclusion that the Fire Dragon is indeed, substantially, unequivocally, without a doubt, therefore a DRAGON.

I think.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Reason why it isn't a dragon:

1. It doesn't detransform into an unattractive human (it's an enemy boss, and non-sympathetic enemy bosses are usually unattractive).
2. Its weapon is fixed damage, so we have no idea if it hits Def or Res.
3. I don't remember if a Wyrmslayer deals effective damage against it.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, eclipse said:

1. It doesn't detransform into an unattractive human (it's an enemy boss, and non-sympathetic enemy bosses are usually unattractive).
2. Its weapon is fixed damage, so we have no idea if it hits Def or Res.
3. I don't remember if a Wyrmslayer deals effective damage against it.

1. Usually, but Narcian looking kinda bae ngl. Furthermore, the Fire Dragon cannot accurately be judged as attractive or unattractive by us, since we are not dragons.
2. Dracozombies also deal fixed damage.
3. I don't either, but Armads and Durandal do.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

1. Usually, but Narcian looking kinda bae ngl. Furthermore, the Fire Dragon cannot accurately be judged as attractive or unattractive by us, since we are not dragons.
2. Dracozombies also deal fixed damage.
3. I don't either, but Armads and Durandal do.

1. The dragons of the Dragon's Gate should theoretically be able to take on human form, if Ninian/Nils were any indication.
2. This would hold if the Fire Dragon is also a zombie.
3. The Wyrmslayer explicitly says that it deals extra damage to dragons.  Then again, that means "dragons" include Bern's wyverns.  This goes deeper than I realized.

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

2. This would hold if the Fire Dragon is also a zombie.

Except it's only Zombie dragons that ignore defense. Regular zombies target defense.

I made a copy cat thread.

Edited by Jotari