Julius defeat video (Genealogy Chapter 10)

Matrograde

I am playing through Genealogy of the Holy War for the first time (started going through the releases chronologically last year for the first time each, after only playing FEH in the past), and I read that Julius is kind of hard to kill in Chapter 10. I accidentally got too close, and he came out and attacked me, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I made a video recording since I was successful! I'm relatively new to this site, so hopefully it is ok to share stuff like this here. Enjoy!

I posted it on my FFXIV character Twitter (which I use in Japanese):

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why do you play the game in English if you use Japanese twitter?

My Japanese isn't good enough yet to be able to understand everything. I am using Japanese on Twitter to learn, but it is mostly basic greetings and stuff. One day I hope I can play them in Japanese!

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Really cool!

I was wondering - what are your pairings for Tinny and Faval? Also, did you have a contingency plan, in case Altenna didn't crit?

I was just trying it out. I had another save from two turns earlier where I didn't get in his range. Actually neither of them are paired up yet. I was sort of just letting the chips fall where they may for the second generation. I only have like 3-4 pairings total.

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Really cool!

I was wondering - what are your pairings for Tinny and Faval? Also, did you have a contingency plan, in case Altenna didn't crit?

I just realized, maybe you meant the parents. I did Azel+Tailtiu and Brigid+Holyn

Edited by Matrograde
Typo

3 hours ago, Matrograde said:

I just realized, maybe you meant the parents. I did Azel+Tailtiu and Brigid+Holyn

Okay, cool. I was wondering, because Tinny had Pursuit. I like Holyn x Brigid, for Patty wih Brave Swords and Luna, but it doesn't do much for Faval.

9 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Okay, cool. I was wondering, because Tinny had Pursuit. I like Holyn x Brigid, for Patty wih Brave Swords and Luna, but it doesn't do much for Faval.

Yea, I was able to get Patty promoted by the end of Chapter 10, so I'm excited to send her out as a full-fledged rogue in the endgame. If I ever play it again in the future, I'll try different parent combos.

2 hours ago, Matrograde said:

Yea, I was able to get Patty promoted by the end of Chapter 10, so I'm excited to send her out as a full-fledged rogue in the endgame. If I ever play it again in the future, I'll try different parent combos.

I found it pretty fun just to set her on a mountain tile, and let her take on a bunch of Dozel Axe Knights. She should one-round quite a few, with Pursuit, Luna, and a Brave Sword.

And yeah, I'd like to do new pairings next time. I've never done some iconic ones, like Lex-Ayra, Lewyn-Erinys, or Azel-Tiltyu. But I also want to do a substitutes run. Decisions, decisions. 

33 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I found it pretty fun just to set her on a mountain tile, and let her take on a bunch of Dozel Axe Knights. She should one-round quite a few, with Pursuit, Luna, and a Brave Sword.

And yeah, I'd like to do new pairings next time. I've never done some iconic ones, like Lex-Ayra, Lewyn-Erinys, or Azel-Tiltyu. But I also want to do a substitutes run. Decisions, decisions. 

Same on the substitutes. I did Lewyn/Erinys, which is interesting, seeing how the kids interact with him. I'm not sure if/how that happens with a different father.

Very impressive! I tried to fight him at first as well (I went in almost completely blind (I used a guide for secrets like Lex’s brave axe) and had no idea how challenging he was supposed to be) and was subsequently walled, until I thought defeating Ishtar might make him go away and I was correct.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I did Lex-Ayra and the sword twins were potentially my best units, they destroyed everything.

Lewyn-Erin was pretty good, Ced obviously broke the game but that’s only because of Forseti.

Azel-Tailtyu Arthur was okay, though from what I’ve seen you can’t really make him that much better or worse.

1 hour ago, Matrograde said:

Same on the substitutes. I did Lewyn/Erinys, which is interesting, seeing how the kids interact with him. I'm not sure if/how that happens with a different father.

Yes, he does that with other kids. He has a talk (through Seliph) with Tinni and Lene. No other sons get a conversation with him though, I think.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

did Lex-Ayra and the sword twins were potentially my best units, they destroyed everything.

Lewyn-Erin was pretty good, Ced obviously broke the game but that’s only because of Forseti.

Azel-Tailtyu Arthur was okay, though from what I’ve seen you can’t really make him that much better or worse.

First playthrough, I killed Ayra, whoops. Substitute sword twins were pretty trash. Second time, I paired her with Dew. Sol was eh, but Bargain was really powerful on the kids - they could snag the Paragon Band whenever they felt like it, and repair weapons for effectively free.

First playthrough, I let Erinys die, then revived her with Valkyrie, but without enough time to pair her up. So I got the subs. Femina was pretty blah, but Hawke was genuinely one of my best units. Speaks to how good the Sage class is.

Second time, I did Erinys x Claude. I found the high Res good on both kids in the lategame, where a bunch of siege tomes and status staves show up. Fee could do good damage with the Brave Lance or Light Brand, and for Ced, the Lightning tome was sufficient nine times out of ten. Finally, the boosted staff ranks were welcome - green-unit Ced spamming Fortify in chapter 8, without exhausting any durability, was a fun time.

First playthrough, I did Tiltyu with Claude, which feels like a trap pairing - they're both mages, they join at the same time right next to each other, so what could go wrong? Arthur can't use Valkyrie as a Mage, but he can promote to use it, right? Nope, because in this universe, Mages don't become Sages. The extra Res, and staff rank on promoted Tinny, was good in theory, but I never made much use of 'em.

Second playthrough, I did Lewyn x Tiltyu, for the fabled Horseti. Arthur was let down somewhat by his early mobility, but having Forseti from that early on is just absurdly good. Tinny, too, appreciates instant access to the lighter Elwind. The lack of Pursuit was a shame, admittedly. 

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Forgot details.

21 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

First playthrough, I killed Ayra, whoops. Substitute sword twins were pretty trash. Second time, I paired her with Dew. Sol was eh, but Bargain was really powerful on the kids - they could snag the Paragon Band whenever they felt like it, and repair weapons for effectively free.

Did you promote Dew first? I read that it was good to promote him first in this scenario, so i actually took the time to do it before end of Chapter 5. I'm not sure why, maybe because can pass down better equipment? Not sure if being promoted affects anything else.

2 hours ago, Matrograde said:

Did you promote Dew first? I read that it was good to promote him first in this scenario, so i actually took the time to do it before end of Chapter 5. I'm not sure why, maybe because can pass down better equipment? Not sure if being promoted affects anything else.

I didn't, but I should have. Promoted Dew can send down Swords up to A-Rank, while unpromoted Dew can only send C-Swords. That said, you get Larcei and Seliph at the same time, both of whom can inherit any sword. And with Bargain, Ulster (Skasahar?) can fairly easily buy a weapon off of one of them.