PS3, PSP, and PS Vita stores closing this summer (confirmed)

Zapp Branniglenn

I did managed to made a list of games to purchase them in my PlayStation TV system before the PS Vita Store closes on August. I managed to bought Namco Museum Vol. 4, Ultimate Ghost and Goblins, some remaining DLCs for Neptunia Rebirth2 and Rebirth3, and Metal Slug XX using the two $25 PlayStation Store Card as of right now.

Edited by King Marth 64

15 minutes ago, Patriarch said:

They apparently changed their mind, the stores will not shut down.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19/playstation-store-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/

Wow. Just like that? I'm surprised. I've never seen Sony go back on anything like this, regardless of PR fallout. I've heard some tin foil hat folks suggest last month that these exact events would play out so that they could snatch a few hundred bucks from suckers like me. But like...that would have happened regardless once the stores shut down for real. The only thing they earned was the money they were already getting, but sooner. I'm not ready to believe that was the point of this stunt, but hey it worked on me. I think the real reason the store is returning is due to the blowback from developers who are still developing for the Vita and learned about the shutdown the same day we did.

Regardless I don't regret the games I own. The truth of it though is that those servers are shutting down eventually. And there's a greater spotlight now on the nature of digital platforms and Sony's "C Bomb" DRM issue which still needs to be addressed on PS3/PS4/PS5. I hope by the time these stores do shut down, Sony will have a better catalogue of classic titles, but as far as I know the PS5 has absolutely no consideration of legacy content beyond PS4 games. So I'm not hopeful on that front. 

I did saw that was announced by GameXplain. It's a good thing for PlayStation 3 and Vita Owners are still continuing the browse the PlayStation Store and buy the digital stuff with more time. I might still buy the rest of the games and DLC content in my PlayStation TV to make sure I don't miss out on them when they might put it on a later date.

Edited by King Marth 64

Literally one of the only times something like this happened and I'm happy for the PS folks, kinda sucks that y'all spent hundreds of dollars for no reason but it would happen eventually.

Enjoy these older consoles while you can folks, you never know when they'll kick the bucket.