Warning: Spoliers ahead: Is reclassing Edelgard into Warrior > than her canon class? Also Linhardt as a warlock > than bishop in CS?

Expanding on my question’s title here, since I am attempting the first chapter of Cindered Shadows and before battle preparations, I am not a fan of Edelgard’s canon class, which is armoured knight, since it leaves her vulnerable, stat-wise and movement-wise. Looking at the change between reclassing Edelgard into a warrior, is it worth making her a warrior for better stats and balance and making Hilda into a different class, by first going through peg knight and then doing falcon knight for better stat spread, especially for her spd? Also is it better to sacrifice restore for Linhardt as a bishop or is restore a lifesaver in the first chapter of CS?

Personally, I like to have her as a Warrior instead. I find armored knight to be kind of unnecessary on Edelgard, since her HP and DEF is usually good enough on its own. As for Hilda, you don't get too many fliers in CS other than Coco and Claude IIRC, so it wouldn't hurt to have another one. Linhardt is fine either way. He's going to be your main healbot since your other magical units are going to be on the offensive more than providing a support role.

Warrior is definitely the way to go over Fortress Knight, for Edelgard. You get an extra point of move, and more power, and more speed, and Edelgard likely isn't dying easily anyway. But the point of move is worth it alone; there are several CS maps which reward moving fast.

Hilda won't get Falconknight; you get your starting classes and that's it. Pegasus Knight vs Warrior is a question of mobility vs stats, the correct choice may well vary map to map.

Bishop strikes me as better for Linhardt since he'll have to shoulder the lion's share of healing duty.

(I love the female Warrior design but in the maingame it's a pretty bad class IMO, so I was happy that Cindered Shadows makes it worth using by getting rid of a bunch of better classes.)

I am actually going to champion the fortress knight class a bit there are parts in CS that tanking is actually the best option and you only have one option and that is Edelgard in fortress knight.  I also think its probably the best use of foul play you can get. Every unit you get in Cindered shadows hits hard so its pretty interchangeable otherwise but if you focus on moving your tank around it can be useful to position enemies.  In particular I think armored Edelgard is good in choke points and against a couple bosses. There are a couple chapters I wouldn't personally mind even more armor teammates but alas Edelgard is the only one with armor capabilities.

But my real answer for any unit in cs is to go by a map by map basis. You don't have to lock anyone into one role. Hilda and Edelgard are two of the orignal cast I can see people switching back and forth on the most.

Edited by vikingsfan92

13 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

I am actually going to champion the fortress knight class a bit there are parts in CS that tanking is actually the best option and you only have one option and that is Edelgard in fortress knight.  I also think its probably the best use of foul play you can get. Every unit you get in Cindered shadows hits hard so its pretty interchangeable otherwise but if you focus on moving your tank around it can be useful to position enemies.  In particular I think armored Edelgard is good in choke points and against a couple bosses. There are a couple chapters I wouldn't personally mind even more armor teammates but alas Edelgard is the only one with armor capabilities.

But my real answer for any unit in cs is to go by a map by map basis. You don't have to lock anyone into one role. Hilda and Edelgard are two of the orignal cast I can see people switching back and forth on the most.

Not gonna lie, the extra defence and tanking is actually really useful for some parts of the map, where there are a bunch of heavy hard-hitting armoured fortress knights, but it is a matter of movement and better stat-spread and also the fact that she is an easy target for getting doubled or one-slotted by mages in general (especially Coco and Hapi’s magic range, even with Retribution Gambit) so I wanted to go for Warrior for this Map for now, for her to be able to survive and one-shot when necessary. However, when I get to the other chapter battle maps, I might consider switching Edelgard back into her canon class, where there might be a lot of annoying spawning reinforcements. Also, I will be very glad to switch Hilda into Peg knight when the time comes in the next CS chapter  cause while I am in love with the warrior design of the class, the class and its overall stat spread is meh, and extra speed is always nice to have. Anyways, thanks for your insight though. It actually gives me a solid plan for the remainder of the CS chapter maps. 

Warrior is better. As far as I'm concerned going armor is really only optimal for Dedue and Raphael. I never make anyone else an armor knight. Edelgard is broken as hell as is so she should still be comfortably tanking and killing everything in her path without the extra defense (unless you're on maddening I guess, then the enemies are strong enough for this to not be the case). As for Linhardt, I like him as a bishop personally because he'll usually be covering most the healing in Crimson Flower.