What are your opinions on Roy in personality and decisions?

First of all we all know that Roy is a bad unit ... But instead for me he seems a great and wonderful character in what he is as a protagonist, I wanted to know what your opinions are about him and if you think the same as me or If, on the contrary, you think that he is a bad protagonist, I would like to hear your opinion and explain whys, thank you.

I like Roy a lot, but I feel like he's an average-at-best sort of lord in terms of personality and character; he doesn't really go through much character development and lacks interesting interactions with the rest of the cast. I think that a remake could do a lot with Roy, but as of right now, he's quite generic in BB, at least to me.

Roy continues in the Marth-Seliph-Leif-Roy-Eliwood and possibly NES Alm "lineage" of being a mild, gentle, regal but not arrogant or aloof, lord.

Now, there is nothing inherently wrong with following in the original FE lord archetypal mannerisms. I wouldn't criticize someone who does.

Personally, I'm -hopefully wholly- over hating an FE main character now, so I won't and have no reason to condemn Roy. But neither does he excite me all that much in his canon FE6 appearance and the general personality it exudes. It falls a little flat.

Personally, Roy's Melee visage, which is slightly more mature and vibrant without being too excited, has a stronger appeal to me. And so does his Smash 4 design, which portrays him both with the physical strength of a high-school star athlete, and the brains of a student looking to get a pre-med degree at an Ivy League university so they can pursue brain surgery afterwards. Now that says "Young Lion" to me, even if it deviates a little too much from the original Roy.

For a potential remake, I think Roy needs a new story ensemble to bounce off him. From looking at Eliwood and TearRing Saga's Runan, the mild-mannered lord benefits when someone is around who isn't wholly servile to them, they can remain middle-of-the-road and yet show liveliness through reacting to friends of more colorful behaviors.

As for who I prefer to Roy among the main characters... lords are overrated.😛 I'm not really attached to any whole FE main character any more, only select slices of who they are.

@Interdimensional Observer

I understand your point, Roy is my favorite lord but I am not going to say that he has a very developed evolution or that he is a very deep character.

But something that I think Roy must have merit of is identifying and knowing who the bad guy is, in any case Zephiel is not like other Pasifist lords like Eirika or Corrin. He knows that bern is on the wrong side and at least for me it is something admirable having too innocent protagonists ...

Honestly thanks for your opinion my friend

(I've bad at explaining things so please forgive me)

I jokingly trash on Roy a lot but really I think he's rather "meh" or okay at best. I always found him to be more on the boring/bland side of the FE Lords. It probably has to do with the English  translation patch I used to play FE6 with but I always found his dialogue to be kinda generic and boring, which admittedly soured my thoughts on Roy a bit. Doesn't help that after every map clear there'd be a scene with him and Merlinus talking and I always found that a little annoying. Hahah I think he was given more personality in Smash Bros.

I find him kind of bland, but he isn't a terrible lord in any sense (Well as a character he isn't bad. He still is one of the worst lords gameplay wise)

I feel a remake of binding blade could massively improve his character.

Hmmm, i think that he is much better than Eliwood, if that means anything! 

Jokes aside: The idea of this huge responsibility being put on his shoulders due to Hectors death is one of his stronger points. He is going to lose Eliwood, he lost Hector, and now, he has to figure things out on his own. He is a kid, and his views are as such. Other than that, the translation patch i played wasn't great, so i don't wanna unfairly judge.

I think Roy has potential but he's trapped in a game that can't really make use of it. Roy mostly being forced to only talk to either the advisor(who this time around is incompetent) and the plot relevant princess has the same problem as Marth only talking to his advisor and the plot relevant princess. Its just not very interesting. Lyn, Hector and Eliwood all have personalities that bounce off each other nicely, as do Ike, Soren and Elincia but Roy has to make due with fairly static characters. Sure his competence nicely contrast the incompetence of his adviser but that's mostly just pitiful instead of interesting. And Guinevere is kinda interesting in her own right but this format isn't doing her any favors either. Not helping is that Roy has to make due with fansubs which might make him seem more basic then he really is. 

Roy's concept is great. The strategist lord. The surprisingly competent child lord. The brains over brawns lord. Its all promising in concept but his game is too ''basic'' in a lot of areas to really make it work. Roy might also pull off his stiff upper lip a bit too well for his own good. Some supports allude to him being insecure or him having a more boyish side but the main story depicts him as too prim and proper to really give these traits much prominence. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

5 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I feel like Roy would be that lovable dork if he was a real person.

Gotta agree with this. He's 15 years old and leading the largest army on the continent in a world war, of course he's a small fish in a big pond. I'm not necessarily upset that he wins against all odds through the power of friendship and all because the simplest plots (and characters) are still fun and effective. His support convos mostly highlights the personality of the person he's talking to (I love Roy/Lalum) so it feels like he gets excluded often. Nothing against the character, but the original translation didn't really do him justice.

Been using the old old translation for these opinions btw, the one with Dieck and Thany.

19 hours ago, Polemarco said:

First of all we all know that Roy is a bad unit ... But instead for me he seems a great and wonderful character in what he is as a protagonist, I wanted to know what your opinions are about him and if you think the same as me or If, on the contrary, you think that he is a bad protagonist, I would like to hear your opinion and explain whys, thank you.

in terms of gameplay/stats, it's...well, let's just say that it's the classic type of unit that needs babysitting before becoming good enough to stand by himself.

he's not that terrible after he gets enough levels, some stats boosters and the Binding Blade, but even then he's not really great either, especially when compared to other lords from the GBA era.

in terms of story, he has a decent attitude overall, although having a kid as leader of an army seems quite unrealistic. but since we're talking about a character from a J-SRPG, i guess anything goes, so...whatever floats your boat~   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally have no real issue with Roy. He doesn't flipflop around emotionally like the more inconsistent lords, but he also kinda has no real highpoints outside of being the army's backbone. I guess the closest comparison would be alm because they both have plots where they step in in-time and take the fight to the invaders, but at least Alm has some kind of emotional journey and banter with more than two people.

Most of Roy's emotions are when/if(dependant on character) Hector and Lilina die, but that is put into the first few chapters with too little time spent on it. His place in the narrative ends up working decently fine in the end, but that is more because the characters interacting with him are the ones to make the conversations interessting.

My interpretation has always been that Roy is meant to be generic and good so he can basically stand in for the player in the story and in dialogue. This was before the series started using avatar characters, so the worship from all the auxiliary characters instead goes to the main lord. He's always right, he can be paired with a vast number of cute female characters, and he's even the 15 year old male target audience.

With the kind of easy-to-understand story Roy is placed in I think this is all just fine.

I do like how some of his conversations seem to reflect the ways players may think. He tells Alen he wants to win the war with no deaths, and if you get an A support with Marcus he tells Marcus he never wants him to retire...much like what a player who got Roy an A support with Marcus is probably thinking.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:59 AM, Polemarco said:

personality wise, Roy implies good characterisation thru "mostly" unseen support dialogues. outside support dialogues he is someone who dont take face values in many things, as in not 100% believe what people told unless he himself prove it, seen it, etc (from various merlinus convo between chapter).

other than that i cant argue he's a bit "flat". because theres less opportunity to show characterization as opposed to more modern games because he just talk to merlinus. imo thats a good things. since that mean you can expand and insert more detail to every action he takes. rather than having more established character and retcon it in possible remake.

sometimes less is more.

also theres no variation of char faces emotion at all in FE6. which somehow people keep forgetting and blame the character being emotionless

Edited by joevar