Top 5 Hardest paralogue ? (DLC excluded)

Some paralogue make me tough to finish the map :

• 5th : Ferdinand and Lysithea
  • 4th : Seteth and Flayn
  • 3rd : Linhardt and Leonie
  • 2nd : Felix
  • 1st : Marianne

Honorable Mention : Petra/Bernadetta, Caspar/Mercedes, Sylvain and Rhea.

Leonie and Linhardt is my number 1 by far because the boss is the most annoying paralouge boss by far oh and its a fog map. The fact he gets quick reposte and renewal is really annoying oh and no Edelgard or Hubert on Cf. My second pick is the Edelgard one Insurmountable purely for the reinforcement spam which is constant (can't remember if the Hilda version of the map has reinforcement spam but if it does it goes here too).  Third I probably would put Petra/Bernedetta as there are some pretty strong enemies and the ambush spawns can be really rough to stop.  Fourth I would put Marianne mainly due to the fog.

Edited by vikingsfan92

For me it’s the following 

No.5: Sothis Paralogue pre time skip

No.4: Caspar/Mercedes Paralogue post time skip

No.3: Linhardt/Leonie Paralogue post time skip

No.2: Marianne Paralogue post time skip

No.1: Claude Paralogue post time skip.

Wyven Lord reinforcements were annoying as hell! Just when I was safe...nope! Had to use up my divine pulses just to reposition my units

It depends. Are we talking the hardest to complete at all, the hardest to complete without ever using divine pulse (or resetting), or the hardest to complete all side objectives? What difficulty are we playing on? Side objectives to keep green units alive, like in True Chivalry (Felix), Death Toll (Raphael and Ignatz) or Dividing The World (Cyril and Hilda), have a bigger jump in difficulty going from Hard to Maddening than most other objectives. Foreign Land And Sky (Petra and Bernadetta) is extremely difficulty if you're trying to play without Divine Pulse and you don't already know the gimmick, since the fake map objective is deliberately leading you into a trap. Once you know that the trap is there, I think it's fairly simple, though.

Another factor is whether you've actually been using the units whose paralogue it is, or if it's someone who's stuck at level 3 and you're only doing the paralogue for the reward and/or completionism. This is especially the case for paralogues with split deployment like Oil and Water (Hanneman and Manuela), The Face Beneath (Caspar and Mercedes) and Weathervanes of Fódlan (Annette and Gilbert). Unless you know exactly how the AI will move and attack, they can be very tough if your isolated units are underleveled.

The one that was hardest for me personally was trying to do The Face Beneath, on Maddening mode, with a very underleveled Mercedes (c. level 6) and a moderately underleveled Caspar (c. level 20), and trying to complete the optional side objective anyway. That's the only instance in all of my time with the game that I've even come close to running out of Divine Pulses charges (I think I had one left at the end) so it was definitely hardest for me, but wihtout the specific circumstances of that run, I don't think it is necessarily the single objectively hardest paralogue.

I generally agree with @lenticular's points. The challenge of a paralogue does vary based on how much player knowledge we're assuming (particularly with respect to certain reinforcements), whether the forced characters have been levelled, and whether one cares about secondary objectives. Also a factor is when we do the paralogues; some of the chapter 7 paralogues are decently tough if done in chapter 7, but there really isn't a good reason to do them in chapter 7 imo. This is because the last week of chapter 7 is not "free" the way the last weeks of other chapters are (because chapter 8 begins with a tutoring session before another weekend), and because chapter 8 brings a large spike in player power (the new battalions, along with silver weapons, that show up in the shop at that point). And in general, most every Part 1 paralogue is pretty easy if you do it in Chapter 11 because by that point your units will likely all be in Advanced classes and those let you overwhelm the maps.

Having said that, I tend to assume a less knowledgeable player for the purposes of talking about challenge. I'll assume they're familiar with the game and how to build characters well, and maybe the broad strokes of each map (e.g. that the Bernadetta/Petra victory condition is a lie) but haven't looked up every detail of how the map works. Here's my top five under those criteria:

• -Caspar/Mercedes. If you aggro a group of enemies but don't lure all of them at once, some of them might charge away towards your underlevelled Caspar/Mercedes. Additionally, the reinforcements if triggered are very likely to kill someone if you aren't ready for them.
  • -Yuri/Constance. The reinforcements if triggered at a bad time are brutal.
  • -Hapi/Balthus. More nonsense reinforcement triggers.
  • -Leonie/Linhardt. Fog, and a tough boss, and you're down a great unit on one of the routes to boot.
  • -Claude. Those wyvern reinforcements, and a tough boss.

Honourable mention to Edelgard's for being pretty tough without relying on hiding information from the player (i.e. there are reinforcements, but they're not inteneded to surprise). I also think Lorenz's is pleasantly challenging in the best way if done reasonably early (which you want to do!) and you want the secondary objectives (though if you don't, it's an easy boss kill on turn 1), probably my favourite map of part 1 actually.

I was pretty surprised to see Flayn/Seteth mentioned since I consider that one of the very easiest and always do it in the first chapter it appears precisely because of its reward:difficulty ratio.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I generally agree with @lenticular's points. The challenge of a paralogue does vary based on how much player knowledge we're assuming (particularly with respect to certain reinforcements), whether the forced characters have been levelled, and whether one cares about secondary objectives. Also a factor is when we do the paralogues; some of the chapter 7 paralogues are decently tough if done in chapter 7, but there really isn't a good reason to do them in chapter 7 imo. This is because the last week of chapter 7 is not "free" the way the last weeks of other chapters are (because chapter 8 begins with a tutoring session before another weekend), and because chapter 8 brings a large spike in player power (the new battalions, along with silver weapons, that show up in the shop at that point). And in general, most every Part 1 paralogue is pretty easy if you do it in Chapter 11 because by that point your units will likely all be in Advanced classes and those let you overwhelm the maps.

Having said that, I tend to assume a less knowledgeable player for the purposes of talking about challenge. I'll assume they're familiar with the game and how to build characters well, and maybe the broad strokes of each map (e.g. that the Bernadetta/Petra victory condition is a lie) but haven't looked up every detail of how the map works. Here's my top five under those criteria:

• -Caspar/Mercedes. If you aggro a group of enemies but don't lure all of them at once, some of them might charge away towards your underlevelled Caspar/Mercedes. Additionally, the reinforcements if triggered are very likely to kill someone if you aren't ready for them.
  • -Yuri/Constance. The reinforcements if triggered at a bad time are brutal.
  • -Hapi/Balthus. More nonsense reinforcement triggers.
  • -Leonie/Linhardt. Fog, and a tough boss, and you're down a great unit on one of the routes to boot.
  • -Claude. Those wyvern reinforcements, and a tough boss.

Honourable mention to Edelgard's for being pretty tough without relying on hiding information from the player (i.e. there are reinforcements, but they're not inteneded to surprise). I also think Lorenz's is pleasantly challenging in the best way if done reasonably early (which you want to do!) and you want the secondary objectives (though if you don't, it's an easy boss kill on turn 1), probably my favourite map of part 1 actually.

I was pretty surprised to see Flayn/Seteth mentioned since I consider that one of the very easiest and always do it in the first chapter it appears precisely because of its reward:difficulty ratio.

Just a minor point that I think the op is intending to exclude the dlc based on the thread title. In which case I assume its Caspar/Mercedes, Leonie/Linhardt, Claude, and Edelgard? I do think the dlc ones are nonsense but based on the title I don't think they count for this.

As for part 1 ones yeah I do think the Lorenz map is probably the most challenging if you actually intend to fight everyone. My second pick for part 1 would probably be Alois and Shamir just because of how spread out you have to be.

Looking back a topic a mine which deals with the same question, I picked Hilda x Cyril paralogue as worst since enemies have huge mobility and so it's hard to protect all the useless NPCs.

Linhardt x Leonie and Claude's paralogue feature a boss I had massive struggle with.

Marianne's paralogue depends a bit on her stats honestly. If she's a dancer with some speed, she has slightly more survivability. Still extremely annoying to protect everyone including the weaker ones.

16 hours ago, drattakbowser said:

4th : Seteth and Flayn

This one is the easiest paralogue, because first it features no reinforcements, and second you can use the terrain to your advantage by brining flying units. You simply lure the enemy one by another and you'll be fine.

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

-Leonie/Linhardt. Fog, and a tough boss, and you're down a great unit on one of the routes to boot.

What do you mean down a great unit?

You can't use Edelgard or Hubert there in CF.

10 hours ago, Zan Partizanne said:

Marianne's paralogue depends a bit on her stats honestly. If she's a dancer with some speed, she has slightly more survivability. Still extremely annoying to protect everyone including the weaker ones.

I've done that one with super-underlevelled Marianne and she's not too hard to keep alive once you know how. The enemies don't go after her until you aggro the boss (granted, like some other paralogues, the trigger for that is a bit arbitrary and you'll probably need to use divine pulse at least once to figure it out).

From of my experience, Hapi and Balthus's paralouge is the worst Maddening. The reinforcements are just so obnoxious and overwhelming that its one of the few paralouges that I didn't bother to do a "keep everyone alive" on Maddening/Casual. 

Constance/Yuri can be really difficult, but if you know how the reinforcements trigger, and kill the thieves before they transform, you should be fine. 

Felix is also a nightmare if you want the Aegis Shield. Personally what I did was just use Dance + Stride + Pegasus Knight Ingrid with Burning Quake to KO the boss in one turn and keep the resetting until I managed to kill the boss. 

Marianne is also really bad since there's Demonic Beasts and Fog.

I found Balthus/Hapi to be the toughest Paralogue overall. The main issue is how all your deployment spots are scattered. Normally, there'd be a "safe zone" for most of your support units, while only the speediest or most defensive have to take a hit from the enemies. Not so in this map. The essential struggle is to get everyone back together, despite disparate starting positions.

Outside of the DLC, though, I would consider Hilda/Cyril the toughest paralogue. With forests and lots of gaps, the terrain is very difficult for any non-flying units. Your army starts out separated, again - and if you haven't been training Cyril, the east end can be a serious liability. There are an absurd number of loss conditions, too: the Professor, Hilda, or Cyril fall in battle; the "defend" spaces at west are occupied; or, all the green units are killed. You have to come in prepared, or else expect a bad time.

If I were picking an easiest paralogue, though, I would say Seteth/Flayn. While the terrain (sand, water) is tricky, in this case, it works to your advantage, rather than the enemy's. You get a Wyvern Rider, and a Priest (or whatever you've reclassed Flayn to) for free. Meanwhile, the enemy Swordmasters suffer a dismal 2 move on the sand. Come in with mages and fliers, and you'll have a good time. Even without them, you can use tools like Stride, repositional arts, and Dancing to keep your team moving.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:33 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

I just had to fight my way out of of Lorenz's paralogue the intended way on a no-skirmish run because I overwrote my main save file without having had certified into flyers and man that was not easy. It's one of those encounters that really makes you feel the difference between a bad unit and a great unit.

Assuming Maddening mode...

Caspar/Mercedes is absolute horseshit. Most of the other ones can be done without investing into the featured character - even Marianne is safe for a few turns if she just stays still in her paralogue, but Caspar and Mercedes will just get downright wrecked by everything around them. You can't even send wyverns over to come help, because that'll trigger reinforcements, and if Caspar and Mercedes move off the ledge, it triggers different reinforcements. You need both of them to meet at least one of several benchmarks so that they can kill the Giant Wolf and the Dark Mages coming at them. Really easy for this one to catch you off-guard and you're most likely going to nope out of it until Caspar can at least fly.

Manuela and Hanneman's is actually pretty hard on Maddening - or, at least, keeping Manuela alive against the 7-move pegasus knights is. I always have to class change Manuela into pegasus knight just so she can sit out and survive.

I always leave Hilda's and Cyril's for later so that I have the resources to deal with it. Stride + Warp = easy.

Ferdinand/Lysithea's is also pretty dumb but at least it's easy to cheese.