Let's Talk About The Final Boss In Kirby Star Allies (gameplaywise)

MisterIceTeaPeach

It's known that Kirby has several shoot'em up parts like in Kirby Super Star against Nova, at the end of Amazing Mirror, against Magolor's Lor in Return To Dreamland and against the final boss of Planet Robobot. All of them are 2D, the one in Robobot is 3D. Star Allies has 3D shoot'em up parts too, but as all the other former mentioned ones they have not based on a danmaku shoot'em up. However the final boss in Star Allies features a form which features some danmaku spell attacks like this one:

kUb6zLk.png?1

This reminded me on a spell of the final boss from Touhou 14:

5qkBjgj.png?1

The difference: The final boss in Star Allies is played in classic Kirby style, and this makes this fight incredibly difficult and chaotic. Void Soul / Astral Birth is by far the hardest bosses in Kirby series for having very fast and unpredictable projectile attacks. Ngl this fight would be more fun and managable, if friend star could be used for this phase. I would honestly love it, if Kirby featured shoot'em up danmaku gameplay in a certain extent.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Void Termina is also a schmup boss in the same game, just in a 3D space. And if you dodge his tackle at the last moment, there's a witch time mechanic straight out of Bayonetta. Awesome. I remember my friend and I screaming when that happened. We played the entire game in one sitting on launch day. But the old games definitely had levels like this too. Kirby 64's secret Final boss is a Star Fox-style rail shooter. The first phase of Kirby's Adventure's final boss is a 2D schmup with the star rod, and so are both phases of the final boss for dreamland 3.  There's the blimp boss in Kirby's dreamland 1, maybe something in 2, don't remember. Kirby super star had the fight against Galactic Nova before Marx. Yeah I'm sure most of the main kirby games have at least one schmup level.

Yeah I'm sure most of the main kirby games have at least one schmup level

You're totally right:

Spoiler
  • Dreamland 1: Kaboola

• Dreamland 2: Dark Matter (two phases)

• Superstar: Nova

• Dreamland 3: Dark Matter and Zero

• Kirby 64: Zero 2

• Kirby Adventure  / Nightmare in Dreamland: First Nightmare phase (if this counts)

• Amazing Mirror: (I believe) an optional phase during the credits against the final boss

• Return To Dreamland / Adventure Wii: Magolor's Lore

• Robobot: all three final boss phases and Core Kaboola (+ a few jet sections)

• Star Allies: 2/4 phases against final boss (+ a few friend star sections)

I think the OP is not clear, my bad from my side (fixed it).

What I tried to say, is that the shoot'em ups become more and more hardcore shoot'em ups.

Even if Void Soul is not a shoot'em up boss, seeing his attacks - which I consider brutal for Kirby standards - makes me think that future parts might become in the mentioned direction.

PS: I just have beaten soul melter, and I have to say these shoot'em ups were absolutely troublesome (never had issues with them before) because of the awkward camera angle. The attack range - especially the swords of Void Termina in first phase - are not visible to me. Despite having played this more than a dozen times, I still have no clue how to dodge it. As for the final form, it was just good luck for me! Thankfully Kawasaki cooked very well which restored more almost my health complety. Only thanks to him I could beat Soul Melter.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Just be Void Termina and didn't have a difficult time at all (in fact I've found Star Allies to be way to easy in general). Not sure about Void Soul though, who I assume is some secret or true final boss. I will remind you though that this game does have block and doge functions and they at least work on Void Termina.

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Just be Void Termina and didn't have a difficult time at all (in fact I've found Star Allies to be way to easy in general).

Yes, this game is way too easy considering that solutions to all the riddles are given and how many lives can be obtained which even are saved after resetting the game. This is why *Heroes In Another Dimension* was added thankfully.

Not sure about Void Soul though, who I assume is some secret or true final boss.

You fight different versions of Void in *The Ultimate Choice* (=bossbattle rush) in which his set of attacks is increased naturally.

I will remind you though that this game does have block and doge functions and they at least work on Void Termina.

That's right, but it's already hard to reach him with enough health since in Soul Melter* (the highest difficulty in *The Ultimate Choice*) gives very poor healing items and the HP bar is reduced by more than a third. I mean it's possible to try making this fight an autobattle by just letting the allies attack, but if they all fall, it's pretty much the end of the run considering how fast Void's attacks are in higher modes.

Spoiler

Soul Melter is not the highest difficulty. Soul Melter Ex can be unlocked after beating it which features the true form of final Void.

All phases of Void bringing together makes him become the hardest final boss in the Kirby series imo.

2 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

I'll have to take you word for it, I don't think I'll do any of the post game modes. The game's been sitting there half finished for about a year now. This post is the only thing that reminded me it exists. Maybe if I could get a group together to play it multiplayer I'll give it another look, but the main campaign didn't manage to entice me into thinking I'll have fun with the bonus stuff even if they significantly up the difficulty.

It sucks that this game has no online multiplayer mode like Super Mario World 3D.

Extra mode (= Heroes In Another Dimension) and bossrushes are used to be the main challenges in the Kirby series. Heroes In Another Dimension is definitely recommendable to be played since it's challenging and gives the opportunity to play as story relevant characters from the Kirby history.  Furthermore you can unlock a character which however requires something from this mode.

35 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

It sucks that this game has no online multiplayer mode like Super Mario World 3D.

Extra mode (= Heroes In Another Dimension) and bossrushes are used to be the main challenges in the Kirby series. Heroes In Another Dimension is definitely recommendable to be played since it's challenging and gives the opportunity to play as story relevant characters from the Kirby history.  Furthermore you can unlock a character which however requires something from this mode.

That's actually one of the things that irritated me about the game. I bought it so I could play as the likes of Marx and Meta Knight, but they just don't let you in single player unless you sit on their head, which is super awkward to do a lot of the time. The characters are there and fully coded as playable, but it insists on making me jump through hoops to do so instead of having a simple character swap function.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's actually one of the things that irritated me about the game. I bought it so I could play as the likes of Marx and Meta Knight, but they just don't let you in single player unless you sit on their head, which is super awkward to do a lot of the time. The characters are there and fully coded as playable, but it insists on making me jump through hoops to do so instead of having a simple character swap function.

Main story forces player 1 to be Kirby for him representing the hero of the plot, but from the gameplay aspect - unlike in Kirby's Return To Dreamland - he's actually never needed to unlock stuff only he can do. Furthermore for some reason in multiplayer mode he may be dead for five seconds whose sense I don't understand. Either he must not die at any point as in KRTD, or game ends if the entire party is wiped out (NPCs also are able to revive Kirby). I wished latter was the case in bossbattles rush.