Help me build a 2nd Gen Holy War team!

Matrograde

Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new, and I've only played the game off and on since it was released, so I have some decent units, but haven't gone in depth with many of them. I noticed a lot of people here make themed teams, which I think is really cool, and I wanted to do something similar. I just finished Holy War a couple of days ago, so I'm feeling slightly obsessed with it (going through the novelization now). I thought it would be fun to put together a team of second generation Holy War kids.

I'm looking for advice and feedback, since it seems like there are some very experienced players here. Here is what I think I want to go with, trying to go for balance:

image.png.8fd9f41cc05a008a0d5fb8a5c3565bf5.png

Here you can see all of the units I have from Holy War, and I will also show here my combat manuals, for reference:

image.png.8b70c16ff11f226772357caad080ba6e.png

So, as you can see, the other options would be Lene, Julia (Legendary or Fallen), Leif (Legendary), Ares, and Seliph. There is also Julius in the Heroic Grails section. The reason I went with the four I did was partially based on (1) I like those characters the most, (2) I wanted to try to use "normal" units without relying on legendary or fallen, and (3) balanced party composition (movement, weapon type, and color). With the exception of Larcei, I think I could easily +10 all four of them (maybe Seliph would be a substitute if I want to +10 all four units).

I guess the first question is, would you select a different party comp based on what I have available, and why?

Second question is, if I stick with these four, what recommendations do you have for builds? I've mostly been relying on game8.co for guides on how I should build my characters, but I want to really get things nailed down before I start using and farming resources. For Larcei, there is a Galeforce build. I'm not super experienced, but I know a lot of people use Galeforce and that it is strong. It looks like I can get it by promoting Cordelia to 5*? That build also suggests Fury 4 and Atk/Spd Oath 3, but I'm not sure I can get them, since I'm not necessarily willing to sacrifice my Fallen Ike.

For Ced they have a spiral build, but again I'd have to sacrifice a couple of my 5* units, which I am hesitant to do. Perhaps I shouldn't be? I'd have to sacrifice my Keaton (or Lewyn) for Special Spiral 3, and Edelgard for Rouse Atk/Def 3. I don't use either of them too much, and I have Legendary Edelgard already.

For Altena there is a DC Shield build, so I suppose she would be my tank. I'd have to sacrifice my Hector for Distant Counter, which is fine (I never use that unit because I have his Brave version). For Quick Riposte 3 I have a 3* Subaki that I can promote, and I can get Atk Smoke 3 from Kaze.

Last would be Nanna. I was debating whether I wanted to have a healer or a dancer in the last slot (Lene would be the dancer). If I go with Nanna, which I assume would be more fun and challenging, there is a Savage Wrath build. I would have to sacrifice my Hinoka for Atk/Spd Bond 3 and Genny for Wrathful Staff 3. Savage Blow 3 should be easy since I have so many Bantu manuals.

I guess that is it. Any flaws in my logic? It will take a lot of effort to make this team, so I would appreciate feedback from anyone who is willing. Thank you!

So, I'd recommend Seliph, Ares, and Altena on a budget.

Seliph likes Sol, Distant Counter, Lull Atk/Def, and flexible C. Atk/Def solo seal is a good complement.

Ares likes Draconic Aura, Distant Counter, Vantage, Def Smoke. Quickened Pulse or any Brazen Atk/x seal is a good complement

Altena would do just fine with a standard enemy phase flier melee tank. She lacks the mixed bulk to make great use of DC, and she's weak to arrows anyway. Any Stance 4 skill (Bracing or Sturdy preferred), Quick Riposte/Guard Bearing, Flexible C, Quick Riposte/Stance seal would work for her.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Altena would do just fine with a standard enemy phase flier melee tank. She lacks the mixed bulk to make great use of DC, and she's weak to arrows anyway. Any Stance 4 skill (Bracing or Sturdy preferred), Quick Riposte/Guard Bearing, Flexible C, Quick Riposte/Stance seal would work for her.

Doesn't using Iote's Shield nullify the arrow weakness? Perhaps I don't understand it well.

5 minutes ago, Matrograde said:

Doesn't using Iote's Shield nullify the arrow weakness? Perhaps I don't understand it well.

It does, and that's worth considering, but it does come at the cost of any bulk or damage you could gain from a stance/solo/brazen seal. As a high investment, you'd also benefit more from Guard Bearing B/QR Seal than you would from QR B/Iote's Seal.

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It does, and that's worth considering, but it does come at the cost of any bulk or damage you could gain from a stance/solo/brazen seal. As a high investment, you'd also benefit more from Guard Bearing B/QR Seal than you would from QR B/Iote's Seal.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I use a near-identical build for Altena and Michalis. Giving up one of my many Surtrs that I don't want is much lower investment than say, Distant Counter.

Aw, I don't have any Surtrs, so that one is out for me.

Good luck building your team! I like building game- and movement type-specific teams, too. I have a Valentian Infantry team, and I've been trying to put together other ones, too, but it's actually been harder than it seems like it'd be. On the theme of FE4, I do have a team I still have to build up that's completely Red Tome Infantry (though that was more of a coincidence since that wasn't actually the focus of the team.) It consists of Arvis, Azelle, Julius and Fallen Julia! What a happy family that is totally not traumatizing Azelle at all! (In order to really build that team, though, I want R Tome Valor. I tried to get it this last winter, but Tharja's a jerk.)

Just +10 Ares not too long ago and I absolutely adore him as a character and a unit. I definitely recommend him on a team.

For your green slot, Ced or Lewyn make a good option.

Erinys or Altenna for your blue option.

For your last slot, have Lene or Nanna, depending on whether your favor dancing or healing. Or you could interchange them depending on the level. There's definitely levels where it's much more efficient to use a dancer and other levels where the healing is much needed.

8 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Just +10 Ares not too long ago and I absolutely adore him as a character and a unit. I definitely recommend him on a team.

For your green slot, Ced or Lewyn make a good option.

Erinys or Altenna for your blue option.

For your last slot, have Lene or Nanna, depending on whether your favor dancing or healing. Or you could interchange them depending on the level. There's definitely levels where it's much more efficient to use a dancer and other levels where the healing is much needed.

Thank you for the advice! I love Lewyn and especially Erinys, but I think I'm just going to do second generation for this team, and they are the old folks!

6 hours ago, Matrograde said:

Thank you for the advice! I love Lewyn and especially Erinys, but I think I'm just going to do second generation for this team, and they are the old folks!

ooop I should have reread the title.