(Conquest) Best avatar setup for normal mode?

MagicalAlbino

So, my mom gave me a physical copy of Conquest for Easter, and I'm having a bit of trouble thinking of the optimal build for my avatar. I'm playing semi-blind since I got up to Chapter 10 on my emulated version before and I've heard a lot about how hard this game is, so I have some idea of what to expect from particularly nasty chapters such as Unhappy Reunion, Bitter Intrigue, Den of Betrayal, Kitsune Lair, Winds of Change, Ryoma, and Night Breaks Through, but I don't know the best way to deal with most of them. Let me share my thoughts on how I'm gonna build my avatar, and tell me what you think the best choice is.

I know female is probably the best gender, since I want to recruit as many children as possible and have them be relevant for as long as possible and the only female Corrinsexuals in Conquest are Flora (late recruitment) and Anna (paid DLC), and also because Jakob is so much better than Felicia early on, but boon, bane, and talent are a bit more complicated. I'm not sure how important optimization is because I'm gonna play on Normal instead of Hard or Lunatic, but I've heard Conquest Normal is still pretty challenging, especially compared to Birthright and Awakening, so I want to play at least semi-optimally.

I'm leaning more towards Quick/Unlucky for my boon and bane because extra speed is useful no matter what class I go into, and luck is one of the least important stats unless your name is Midori or Arthur, so there's not too much harm in reducing it, especially because you can just use Luck Tonics and Pair Up to raise your luck to the point where most enemies have a 0% crit chance against you. You also get a Goddess Icon in Chapter 4, which should give the avatar just enough luck to avoid dying to low-percentage critical hits without having to chug Luck Tonics constantly.

I also have my talent almost figured out, but it's a bit harder to choose than boon and bane. Cavalier and Dragon (i.e. Wyvern Rider) seem like the best choices because of their good mobility and because they allow you to beat Chapter 8 without spawning any reinforcements, but I'm not sure which is better overall. On the one hand, Cav has Yato access, a level 1 skill that gives +3 damage under most circumstances, can learn Shelter, which is just nice to have in case you make a mistake in positioning a fragile unit and don't want to restart the entire chapter, and can promote to either Paladin or Great Knight, both of which are really good classes, but since I'm probably gonna marry Jakob, who gives Cav access to his wife via Partner Seals, a Cavalier talent may end up being redundant. Also, being weak to both Beast Killers and Wyrmslayers doesn't sound too appetizing. On the other hand, Wyvern Rider ignores terrain penalties, gets Strength +2 for more damage and Lunge for repositioning, and can eventually learn Swordbreaker to help Corrin cheese the Ryoma fight in Chapter 25, but it can't use the Yato, is stuck with E-rank weapons for a while after reclassing from Nohr Princess, has god-awful resistance that makes enemy magic users especially dangerous, and its weakness to bows and yumi may be problematic when going up against Takumi and the enemy archers that I assume are abundant in this route. I kinda wanna go Wyvern, since I'll probably have Cav access anyway from marrying Jakob, and I also want Jakob to have Swordbreaker to deal with Ryoma in Chapter 12.

So, what do you think? Is Dragon the best talent? Should I change my boon and/or bane? I appreciate any guidance you give me!

Edited by MagicalAlbino

One thing I want to start with is that you are worrying too much here, its hard to make a bad Corrin, and Normal mode will probably be fine even if you try to make your Corrin bad, but if you want some advice I will add my two cents.

4 hours ago, MagicalAlbino said:

I'm leaning more towards Quick/Unlucky for my boon and bane because extra speed is useful no matter what class I go into, and luck is one of the least important stats unless your name is Midori or Arthur, so there's not too much harm in reducing it, especially because you can just use Luck Tonics and Pair Up to raise your luck to the point where most enemies have a 0% crit chance against you. You also get a Goddess Icon in Chapter 4, which should give the avatar just enough luck to avoid dying to low-percentage critical hits without having to chug Luck Tonics constantly.

That has generally been my go to bane & boon, as it is rather good.

Cavalier and Dragon (i.e. Wyvern Rider) seem like the best choices because of their good mobility and because they allow you to beat Chapter 8 without spawning any reinforcements, but I'm not sure which is better overall.

I tend to prefer having a Hoshidan class as my Talent as they are generally harder to get access to, but if your plan is to class change that early (without using online to relationship grind) these are probably better options.

but since I'm probably gonna marry Jakob, who gives Cav access to his wife via Partner Seals, a Cavalier talent may end up being redundant.

Jakob wouldn't give your Corrin access to Cavalier, only the Troubadour line, so going Cavalier wont end up redundant.

Also, being weak to both Beast Killers and Wyrmslayers doesn't sound too appetizing.

Or if they go Great Knight weak to Beast Killers, Armor Slayer, and Wyrmslayers...although that isn't to say its a bad class, just funny to note.

Honestly either of the two talents you suggested sound fine, with their own unique advantages, and if you are still struggling to decide just flip a coin and get started!

Have Fun, Conquest is a great game

I will note that partner seals only give the partner's primary class to the unit that uses them, except in special circumstances, or if the partner's primary class is a unique one. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I will note that partner seals only give the partner's primary class to the unit that uses them, except in special circumstances, or if the partner's primary class is a unique one. 

OK, I know that now. I decided on Wyvern for Swordbreaker so Jakob and Corrin can both cheese Ryoma. On a somewhat unrelated note, should I use my first Heart Seal (the one you buy from the staff store) on Corrin or Mozu? I don't want to deal with any reinforcements in Chapter 8, but I also want Mozu to be able to contribute to the team ASAP. Should I just bite the bullet and let the first Lancer summon some reinforcements instead of pairing up Elise with Wyvern Corrin and freezing him?

20 minutes ago, MagicalAlbino said:

OK, I know that now. I decided on Wyvern for Swordbreaker so Jakob and Corrin can both cheese Ryoma. On a somewhat unrelated note, should I use my first Heart Seal (the one you buy from the staff store) on Corrin or Mozu? I don't want to deal with any reinforcements in Chapter 8, but I also want Mozu to be able to contribute to the team ASAP. Should I just bite the bullet and let the first Lancer summon some reinforcements instead of pairing up Elise with Wyvern Corrin and freezing him?

I would just ignore Mozu, she's too much effort for the payoff imho. Regarding chapter 8, you only need three villages for the maximum reward, so I wouldn't tear my hair out over the enemy getting to the northeast village. Also, I tend to leave Corrin in their default class and prefer spending a heart seal to make Camilla a Wyvern Lord instead, so I wouldn't know about that.

Edited by Shadow Mir

28 minutes ago, MagicalAlbino said:

If you want to use Mozu you should class change her somehow ASAP, and if you can't you might want to drop her. Although depending on how restrictive you want to play, there might options to accomplish both of these plans. If you are using (and have access to) some of the bonus or DLC class-change items, than dreadfighter Mozu is one of the better options to save that Heart Seal, alternatively if you have about 2k gold lying around you could use the online features to visit the castle of someone with a fully upgraded rod/staff shop to buy an extra Heart Seal (although that is a serious expense at this point in the game.

As for biting the bullet and letting some reinforcements spawn, I will point out you can let two sets of reinforcements spawn, and still get the full reward at the end of the chapter, so its not that big of deal if you let them spawn in.

7 hours ago, MagicalAlbino said:

Hi, I don´t know if this will still be relevant for you, but if you intend to use Mozu I suggest recruiting her after chapter 9. For one you get an additional Heart Seal from the boss in that chapter and it makes Mozu´s paralogue a tad easier, since your units will have a level or two more. That also means you can reclass Corrin with your first HS. You´ll also get your Refresher which makes reaching Mozu and setting up kills for her quite a bit easier too.

15 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Hi, I don´t know if this will still be relevant for you, but if you intend to use Mozu I suggest recruiting her after chapter 9. For one you get an additional Heart Seal from the boss in that chapter and it makes Mozu´s paralogue a tad easier, since your units will have a level or two more. That also means you can reclass Corrin with your first HS. You´ll also get your Refresher which makes reaching Mozu and setting up kills for her quite a bit easier too.

Well, I already recruited Mozu and used my second Heart Seal to make her an archer. I got her to Level 7 as a villager by feeding her Faceless kills in her paralogue (I did the paralogue early so Silas would be able to use her Brass Naginata for a bit of extra bulk in Chapter 8). This is my team right now after completing Dwyer's paralogue:

Ryan (Level 12 Wyvern Rider)

Jakob (Level 15 Wyvern Lord)

Elise (Level 1 Strategist)

Silas (Level 11 Cavalier)

Arthur (Level 8 Fighter)

Effie (Level 14 Knight)

Odin (Level 12 Dark Mage)

Niles (Level 11 Outlaw)

Azura (Level 13 Songstress)

Nyx (Level 10 Dark Mage)

Mozu (Level 9 Archer)

Dwyer (Level 14 Troubadour)

Haitaka (Level 10 Spear Fighter)

Because I doubt either Jakob or the avatar has enough bulk to take on Takumi while riding wyverns, my plan for Chapter 10 is to have Camilla take out Takumi before he pulls a Moses and unchokes all my points with the Dragon Vein. I know she can one-round him with her 21 Strength and 19 Speed, but he can also one-shot her with the Fujin Yumi since he has 57 attack power against flying units. Is it feasible to give her an HP Tonic, a Defence Tonic, a Beruka pair up, Rally Defence from Jakob or Haitaka, Lily's Poise support from Elise, Gentilhomme support from Jakob, and/or the Dracoshield from one of the villages so she can just barely survive a hit from him?

Edited by MagicalAlbino
canadian spelling

Because I doubt either Jakob or the avatar has enough bulk to take on Takumi while riding wyverns, my plan for Chapter 10 is to have Camilla take out Takumi before he pulls a Moses and unchokes all my points with the Dragon Vein. I know she can one-round him with her 21 Strength and 19 Speed, but he can also one-shot her with the Fujin Yumi since he has 57 attack power against flying units. Is it feasible to give her an HP Tonic, a Defense Tonic, a Beruka pair up, Rally Defense from Jakob or Haitaka, Lily's Poise support from Elise, Gentilhomme support from Jakob, and/or the Dracoshield from one of the villages so she can just barely survive a hit from him?

No. You'd have to push deep into enemy territory for this, and I can't help but think the amount of resources you're devoting to this is unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

No. You'd have to push deep into enemy territory for this, and I can't help but think the amount of resources you're devoting to this is unrealistic.

Corrin and Jakob had a Dual Guard charged up, so I had them attack Takumi and Camilla landed the finishing blow with Beruka in Guard Stance. I didn't even need to put Elise in danger, so I was able to have her help Odin guard the chokepoint. I gave Camilla a Defence Tonic and the HP Tonic from Chapter 5, which may not have been the smartest investment, but tonics aren't that expensive, so it's not a big loss. I've made it to Chapter 12, by the way. I'm sorry to ask so much of you, but I'd like to pick your brain one more time. I know Dwyer will be my only healer for this map since Jakob is a Wyvern Lord and Elise can't be deployed, so should I promote him, and if so, is Butler or Strategist a better choice? (FYI, Corrin is also a Wyvern Lord now since I used the Master Seal during chapter 10 for a bit more power.)

Edited by MagicalAlbino

1 hour ago, MagicalAlbino said:

Corrin and Jakob had a Dual Guard charged up, so I had them attack Takumi and Camilla landed the finishing blow with Beruka in Guard Stance. I didn't even need to put Elise in danger, so I was able to have her help Odin guard the chokepoint. I gave Camilla a Defence Tonic and the HP Tonic from Chapter 5, which may not have been the smartest investment, but tonics aren't that expensive, so it's not a big loss. I've made it to Chapter 12, by the way. I'm sorry to ask so much of you, but I'd like to pick your brain one more time. I know Dwyer will be my only healer for this map since Jakob is a Wyvern Lord and Elise can't be deployed, so should I promote him, and if so, is Butler or Strategist a better choice? (FYI, Corrin is also a Wyvern Lord now since I used the Master Seal during chapter 10 for a bit more power.)

I'd say no. I'm not fond of early promotion - imho, the advantages are eclipsed by the downsides.

EDIT: Also, it's hard to judge without stats.

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 hours ago, MagicalAlbino said:

If you should early promote in Conquest... its debatable, but in this situation I wouldn't consider it a bad idea. Some of your units can hit 20/20 in Conquest, and on some of the difficulties (sorry I am not well versed on Normal mode, so this might not be much of a concern at all) the late game is difficult enough that those extra stats might matter, but with a non-combat class like his getting access to attacks early might be worth it, and its easy to fit him into a more supportive role that makes those extra stats in the long run far less of a concern.

As for which class to promote him into, it depends on what you want to do with him, and how he is looking statwise. Butler is the only option where strength will matter for him, plus his attacks will debuff enemies, and the Maid/Butler class is the only one that can reach S rank staffs. Now the S rank staff is a very niche concern, S rank takes a lot of dedication (or arms scroll(s)) to reach, the S rank staff comes in two-three chapters before the end of the game, is one use, and revives the last unit that died (which can be problematic if more than one unit dies in a turn...), but I feel it is worth mentioning. Strategist relies on magic, has higher mobility, and gets more supportive skills. Also of note is the difference in pair-up boosts if the plan is to have him become a backpack latter into the game, Butler gives extra speed, while Strategist gives extra resistance and a point of move...