Would you buy a new GBA Fire Emblem released in the current era?

Jotari

Would you buy a GBA style Fire Emblem game released in the current year?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a GBA style Fire Emblem game released in the current year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if they put a tonne of effort into marketing to entice me

I think there's a reason the GBA Fire Emblem hacking community is so much larger than any of the systems that came before or after. And that's mostly down to it really hitting a sweet spot of simple, but still really great. But when I see so many people coming up with fan hacks (myself included *cough* *cough*) sometimes I just think "Why aren't Nintendo doing this?" Why not use the Gameboy Advance engine with its wicked sprites to produce more Fire Emblem games. Compared to the likes of a Switch game, or even a 3DS game, making a fourth GBA game now adays could be done really easily and really cheaply. Sell it as download only at a fraction of a price of a switch game and boom, easy money. Well I reckon. I know I personally would eat it up, but maybe I overestimate how much other people would be interested in buying a new game made using an old engine at the fraction of the price of other new games. Fire Emblem is a pretty big series now so I think it could work. What's your reaction anyway? Would you buy GBA style Fire Emblem game released in the current year?

Edited by Jotari

I would, but not with any real enthusiasm. It'd be more a case of "well, I like Fire Emblem and they're only charging [whatever] for it, so I may as well give it a try" than actually expecting much from it. I just don't think that the GBA engine really stands up to modern standards, be that in terms of UI, usability, graphics, sound, gameplay features, whatever. Even retro-inspired games these days can do so much more than the GBA engine allows so hypothetical new GBA games would instantly feel dated. Maybe, just maybe, they could do a modern take on retro Fire Emblem with sprite-based graphics, no voice acting, simpler mechanics, etc. -- sort of like how they have New Super Mario Bros be the simpler throwback style Mario games -- but I don't think that actually using the GBA engine would be a winning move for them.

Pretty much the same as above. I would buy it because it's Fire Emblem and I enjoy it, but the thing to me is that while those graphics were nice then and the animations certainly are still quite nice, a lot about the game/engine/ui is quite dated and I would rather them try perfecting the 3D models instead of trying to pander to nostalgia with graphics like that. Part of it may be that retro-style games aren't really my thing either. In conclusion, yes I would buy the game, but I would be disappointed nonetheless.

Only if they charged at least below $40, which is an insane ask for a new Nintendo title.

But I would prefer if they used something more recent and polished, even if the gba sprite work itself is great in my opinion. Using an old engine because the fans still like it screams “we don’t have to put in effort and they’ll give us money”. They can bring back the sprites if they really want to and I’ll be like “okay, alright” but they could definitely do more in other departments.

Probably as long as it was a "budget" title, I do honestly prefer the GBA mechanics compared to the other games I've played so far.

I'd prefer it if it was outright an official FE maker game. (With maybe a simple "Showcase" campaign alongside it as a demonstration.)

Yeah. Of course I'd check out something like that. But they run the risk of me becoming incessant in my demands of FE6-8 ports on a modern system. 

I suppose it'd be kind of like Mega Man 9 just spontaneously showing up almost twenty years since the NES originals. I bought it. I loved it. Come to think of it, GBA era is kind of the only "retro era" that that sort of call back works in. The Super Famicom games have a pretty iconic style too, but of course they weren't released outside of one part of the world. 

Edited by Glennstavos

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Only if they charged at least below $40, which is an insane ask for a new Nintendo title.

But I would prefer if they used something more recent and polished, even if the gba sprite work itself is great in my opinion. Using an old engine because the fans still like it screams “we don’t have to put in effort and they’ll give us money”. They can bring back the sprites if they really want to and I’ll be like “okay, alright” but they could definitely do more in other departments.

I was thinking well below 40 dollars. Somewhere in the region of 10-15.

At first, I read it as "would you buy a GBA FE today?", which would sound weird considering I already own them as well as the fact that virtual console ones aren't as enticing to me. But if they were to release new titles in GBA style, it would definitely still be a kicker. I was introduced into FE through the GBA era, and while I think they work really well in that style, the sweepspot for me was roughly FE10.

In short, I would, but mostly because it's FE.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That is very optimistic.

I mean the whole idea is that it's a cheaply made cheaply sold game that isn't marketed as a new release. There's plenty of games on the eShop at those price range. Granted most of them are indie games, but this would be basically a game that'd produced on an indie budget but by a larger company who holds the IP. I can't remember how much Megaman 9 and 10 or the Sonic 4 games cost on release, but I doubt it was very much (though Sonic 4 was broken up into episodes, I'm not sure how full those episodes were in regards to games and thus how much of a rip off or worth it the individual prices were).

Edited by Jotari

On 4/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, Jotari said:

Sell it as download only at a fraction of a price of a switch game and boom, easy money.

The thing is, I don't necessarily see a new GBA-style FE (new story, portraits, maps, dialogue, spritework) as "easy money". Compared to a game with full voice acting and CG cutscenes, would it be "easier money"? Absolutely. But if the goal is a quick buck, a far simpler endeavor would be porting FE7 and FE8 to the Switch. Even an officially localized FE6 would be a far lesser effort than making a totally original GBA-style FE. The fact that they haven't made these rather simple moves, suggests they wouldn't expend the effort to make a new game, unless it's something they really feel advances the brand.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:43 AM, Jotari said:

I was thinking well below 40 dollars. Somewhere in the region of 10-15.

This price proint comes across as more appropriate for GBA ports. I'd gladly shell out 12 big ones to play Sacred Stones on the big (or medium-sized screen). If we're talking a new game, though (even on an old framework), I see $20 as a bare minimum price point. $30 would hardly be shocking.

32 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

The thing is, I don't necessarily see a new GBA-style FE (new story, portraits, maps, dialogue, spritework) as "easy money".

Yeah, I second this. Of course a new GBA-style FE would be cheaper than a new 3D game in the vein of Three Houses, but a lot of the expenses (writing, spritework, gameplay design, playtesting and QA, etc.) are still there. And the sales would be considerably lower too

One major problem GBA faces that, say, Mega Man 9 did not, is that the GBA isn't some sort of universal "nostalgia era" for fans of the series. Sure for us English-speaking folk it's our introduction to the series, but that's not the case in Japan (where the games were actually notably less successful than FE3 or FE4, iirc). And then of course a lot of fans only started more recently, with Awakening and beyond. So even as an effort to pander to nostalgia you're only hitting a subset of the fanbase. (Trying to make a new NES- or SNES-style Fire Emblem faces the same problems, which is why those are unlikely too.)

For me personally, I'm the same as several others who have posted so far: I'd buy it and play it, but I wouldn't be super-excited by it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'd buy a game that's straight up using the GBA engine in this day and age, even if it's Fire Emblem, but I would definitely be all in for going back to sprite based games with modern day improvements (cg, voice acting, animated cutscenes, better ui, updated mechanics, better sound engine, etc) akin to Sonic Mania or Octopath Traveler.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:47 AM, Jotari said:

I think there's a reason the GBA Fire Emblem hacking community is so much larger than any of the systems that came before or after. And that's mostly down to it really hitting a sweet spot of simple, but still really great. But when I see so many people coming up with fan hacks (myself included *cough* *cough*) sometimes I just think "Why aren't Nintendo doing this?" Why not use the Gameboy Advance engine with its wicked sprites to produce more Fire Emblem games. Compared to the likes of a Switch game, or even a 3DS game, making a fourth GBA game now adays could be done really easily and really cheaply. Sell it as download only at a fraction of a price of a switch game and boom, easy money. Well I reckon. I know I personally would eat it up, but maybe I overestimate how much other people would be interested in buying a new game made using an old engine at the fraction of the price of other new games. Fire Emblem is a pretty big series now so I think it could work. What's your reaction anyway? Would you buy GBA style Fire Emblem game released in the current year?

there is still market for 2D fantasy TRPG with low poly models like Wargroove. im sure there are others games like that too. which seems simple enough for community to take part in it and possibly contributing by making new content

But they need make a new engine for that to convince me to buy, also need to add tons of stuff that was not in GBA games(not necessarily original stuff, but improvement + more content) if not, it would come out as lazy and stingy (in terms of budget) which will just hurt its reputation because IS will get shunned by making indie-like games even though they have become relatively big for a game studio.

Edited by joevar

• 1 month later...

Absolutely, but I prefer the focus on more modern style FE games because FE with modern console graphics looks cool. Modern FE also has way more character interaction and dialogue. Whether or not that's a good thing or not obviously depends on how interesting the characters and story actually are, but I'm operating under the assumption that whatever game will at least have decent story and characters, in which case I prefer the extra development and content.

Edited by edgelordweeb
Corrected phrasing