Is this game still worth the install?

DarkSage861

For some reason despite being 4 years old already, this game seem to still have a active audience for some reason. Is this game still worth me filling up my phone storage again? I haven't played this game since June of 2017 (back when they had that summer banner with Tiki and such) mostly because I was tired and angry at the Fire Emblem community (check out my post on how Fates gave me joy to understand the full story of that). So I don't really know what changed or if it even holds any purpose, back when I played the game my units sucked complete ASS. Every roll for me was always a 3 star and I literally had only 4 good units so is this game still good enough to play again?

I'd absolutely say yes. Not only are the free units you get like Valentines Day Veronica or Reginn (the free unit for book 5) really good, the units they added later are also really good for the most part, and it really doesn't matter if you have a bunch of 3 star units, just promote them with Hero Feathers.

1 hour ago, DarkSage861 said:

For some reason despite being 4 years old already, this game seem to still have a active audience for some reason. Is this game still worth me filling up my phone storage again? I haven't played this game since June of 2017 (back when they had that summer banner with Tiki and such) mostly because I was tired and angry at the Fire Emblem community (check out my post on how Fates gave me joy to understand the full story of that). So I don't really know what changed or if it even holds any purpose, back when I played the game my units sucked complete ASS. Every roll for me was always a 3 star and I literally had only 4 good units so is this game still good enough to play again?

I still enjoy the game. However, if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to go with Cipher instead, as it is a much cheaper hobby for spenders. Although Cipher is dead, it is arguable that being dead is a good thing since it means that there is a hard cap to how much you are going to spend if you are collecting every single card.

Heroes can be played completely free though, and you can play it literally anywhere as long as you got an internet connection, so there is no need to lug around cards or a console to get a quick fix of Fire Emblem. And being a videogame, Heroes is a lot closer in experience to the main series than Cipher.

The monetization is gatcha, and made to prey on those with the kinda of disabilities that lead to gambling addictions, but if you are OK with that, the game is solid. Its the most Fire Emblem experience you can get on a mobile game, and shows us a glimpse at what a fire emblem without RNG might look like...

Ask yourself:Why do you want to come back to the game. When you create new account, you get 2 free 5* units ( in summon section), and 1 free summoning every banner. I just don't like the fact that the game is imbalance. Units usually outclassed time to time by newer units. But I guess that's all gacha games problem. 

Edited by Hasechi

Of course it's worth it. I've been around since Day 1, and I can tell you the game has changed massively. It's night and day comparison. It used to just be Fire Emblem for the phone... and even that was still fun, but now it really holds up as an actual FE, in terms of gameplay. You have tons more skills, characters and customizations, and not to mention how much generous the game has gotten since. You're not limited to 50 Stamina and it's made tons of other quality of life improvements.

Things are a lot better and easier, now. There's many more characters to enjoy and choose from, and it's incredible what you can do if you just invest on it and give it a chance.

Note: the following may be opinionated.

Pros: most mobile FE, good time sink, decent F2P capabilities, many game modes, entertaining.

Cons: Fanservice+++++++++, gatchas are evil, power creep, IS focusing (nearly) exclusively on popular characters.

I think that sums FEH up quite well.

Keep in mind that asking this on the Heroes subforum means you're more than likely to get positive responses.

If you only played during the first few months after the game's launch, it is way different now, to the point where it's almost unrecognizable and would take way too long to explain everything that's happened since. You shouldn't have much of an issue with only having bad units, you can make a brand new account and within maybe 30 minutes have seven 5* units, assuming I haven't forgotten anyone, five of whom are set (and their quality ranges from decent to great) and two of whom are a choice among two sets of four options. Playing the game and doing mostly simple tasks will earn you a set of three (with an eventual 4th) more 5* units. And if you struggle and need help, content creators make guides for PvE content using these F2P units. The rates have also been changed so 4* units are more likely than 3* now.

Though if you're bad with money I wouldn't recommend it no matter what. It's gacha, after all. There are multiple ways to spend money without simply buying orbs, but you still need to know your limit. It's also a big time investment if you want to be competitive, even if not as much as plenty of other games like it.

1 hour ago, L3xandr3 said:

Note: the following may be opinionated.

Pros: most mobile FE, good time sink, decent F2P capabilities, many game modes, entertaining.

Cons: Fanservice+++++++++, gatchas are evil, power creep, IS focusing (nearly) exclusively on popular characters.

I think that sums FEH up quite well.

14 minutes ago, Florete said:

Keep in mind that asking this on the Heroes subforum means you're more than likely to get positive responses.

If you only played during the first few months after the game's launch, it is way different now, to the point where it's almost unrecognizable and would take way too long to explain everything that's happened since. You shouldn't have much of an issue with only having bad units, you can make a brand new account and within maybe 30 minutes have seven 5* units, assuming I haven't forgotten anyone, five of whom are set (and their quality ranges from decent to great) and two of whom are a choice among two sets of four options. Playing the game and doing mostly simple tasks will earn you a set of three (with an eventual 4th) more 5* units. And if you struggle and need help, content creators make guides for PvE content using these F2P units. The rates have also been changed so 4* units are more likely than 3* now.

Though if you're bad with money I wouldn't recommend it no matter what. It's gacha, after all. There are multiple ways to spend money without simply buying orbs, but you still need to know your limit. It's also a big time investment if you want to be competitive, even if not as much as plenty of other games like it.

Yeah, these are both good ways to put it.

Personally I'm still very much enjoying Heroes, but I'm really patient and willing to deal with the limits of being f2p, I really love the premise of "big compilation FE game", and I've been playing this whole time so I've had the chance to keep up with gameplay changes and to build up resources to stay on top of the big challenges.

If you think it might tempt you into spending money (or an unreasonable amount of time), stay far away. If you're sure that won't be an issue, you could certainly give it a try and see how you feel about it, but stay ready to call it quits if it ever becomes more trouble than it's worth.

16 hours ago, Hasechi said:

Ask yourself:Why do you want to come back to the game. When you create new account, you get 2 free 5* units ( in summon section), and 1 free summoning every banner. I just don't like the fact that the game is imbalance. Units usually outclassed time to time by newer units. But I guess that's all gacha games problem. 

The reason why I sorta want to come back is to catch up what's happened since, I know a few people who say it's better now and to not overreact supposedly but I don't even know if it changed for better or for worse

21 minutes ago, DarkSage861 said:

The reason why I sorta want to come back is to catch up what's happened since, I know a few people who say it's better now and to not overreact supposedly but I don't even know if it changed for better or for worse

It's much better than Year 1, and it's not even a content. I think the problem with powercreep isn't as relevant unless you're very focused on scoring high in "competitive" modes. I use the quotations because I don't feel spending money makes it that competitive, since people start paying themselves up at some point.

I've been F2P for the grand majority of it, and it's been really geneous. You can make any character really good, as long as you know how.

10 minutes ago, the actual real soul said:

It's much better than Year 1, and it's not even a content. I think the problem with powercreep isn't as relevant unless you're very focused on scoring high in "competitive" modes. I use the quotations because I don't feel spending money makes it that competitive, since people start paying themselves up at some point.

I've been F2P for the grand majority of it, and it's been really geneous. You can make any character really good, as long as you know how.

Yeah wasting money on something trivial as that already seems atrocious 

21 hours ago, DarkSage861 said:

mostly because I was tired and angry at the Fire Emblem community (check out my post on how Fates gave me joy to understand the full story of that). So I don't really know what changed or if it even holds any purpose, back when I played the game my units sucked complete ASS. Every roll for me was always a 3 star and I literally had only 4 good units so is this game still good enough to play again?

@DarkSage861 I suggest you to give it a try. It doesn't hurt much. This game is F2P friendly now. Orbs is very easy to gain. I just start 2 months ago & I got a lot of 5* units so don't worry much. 

If you decide to start the game. I suggest you choose Brave Dimitri and Micaiah at free 5* summon. There a lot of guides online for those units. 

Edited by Hasechi

I've been around since the start and I managed to build two +10 seasonals (Charlotte and Lissa). They are my most favourite units along with Libra and Henry:

953776290_charlottebravelance1.png.a03802b415b14f36fab1c4f75c5f944b.pnglissa.png.b5f14e66cc952a083701483665ec3884.png

1941760979_egglibra.png.5c4e68bfb90ee116c4a9aab04cf46586.png

Reddit has more of an active audience if that's what you're looking for. 
FEH isn't my favorite mobile game, but I do like Fire Emblem and I do enjoy collecting my favorite characters and occasionally fighting some maps. I find TT to be boring slog but other modes are fun.

21 hours ago, DarkSage861 said:

If there are characters you like here, absolutely yes.  In terms of free units this game is very generous, especially for you who seems to like Fates a lot, but for a new player the game is extremely stingy with things like grails and sacred coins.  My current account is over a year old and I still have coin issues...the one thing there ISN'T a shortage of as a new player is orbs.  There's over a thousand f2p orbs from the story quests alone I think.  It's pretty nice.

But I do enjoy the diversity of modes.  Honestly I think Aether Raids is awful 80% of the time but when you aren't facing some terrible mage nuke wall it can be fun.  Arena is fun just to see people's team of favourites, Resonant Battles is short and simple but at least different, Pawns of Loki is frequent and fun to mess around in.  

Getting fodder for your favourite units isn't really that hard, you only need one copy of a character and again thanks to how many orbs you get it's barely an issue.  With how far skills have gone you can make almost anyone really solid.  "Powercreep" technically very much exists but I'd say it just doesn't matter all that much when actually playing.  Also, you complained about shitty rolls, they just introduced a "4* Special" section in the summoning pool that adds an extra 3% chance to get an old 5*, with the normal 5* pool only having newer 5* units.  There are also free first rolls, first summon tickets (for New Heroes focuses) and a pretty low orb (relatively) sparking feature now.

In short...yes.  FEH's got problems but it's the best mobile game out there imo.  I've been pretty critical over the years, still am, but find it enjoyable with all the improvements.

2 hours ago, the actual real soul said:

If the player simply wants to just score high, they do not need the latest and greatest either, although it certainly helps. Tier 19.5 in Arena is super easy since you outscore annoying cav teams while you can still use Dancers/Singers and positioning Assists, while many enemies you face are running pretty weak skill sets optimized for scoring rather than performance. Similarly, bouncing in and out of Vault of Heaven in Aether Raids is not particularly difficult either, since defense teams outside of Vault of Heaven are pretty easy to beat, and once in Vault of Heaven, you can just take it easy since only competitive and high-end semi-competitive players are going to realistically stay. 

But yeah, if a player wants to rank well in relation to other players though, then power creep does matter.

49 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Getting fodder for your favourite units isn't really that hard, you only need one copy of a character and again thanks to how many orbs you get it's barely an issue.  With how far skills have gone you can make almost anyone really solid.  "Powercreep" technically very much exists but I'd say it just doesn't matter all that much when actually playing.  Also, you complained about shitty rolls, they just introduced a "4* Special" section in the summoning pool that adds an extra 3% chance to get an old 5*, with the normal 5* pool only having newer 5* units.  There are also free first rolls, first summon tickets (for New Heroes focuses) and a pretty low orb (relatively) sparking feature now.

That depends on what you are trying to build, what skill you need, and how common a skill is.

If you are trying to build a standard player phase unit for example, you can use whatever A skill you want as long as it boosts Atk/Spd and does not have some onerous conditional requirement. Fury, Life and Death, Brazen Atk/Spd, and Swift Sparrow are largely interchangeable with each other, and the first three are all cheaply available; Bonus Doubler, Atk/Spd Solo, Atk/Spd Catch, Atk/Spd Ideal, and Blade Session are other decent options too, although they are a bit more of a hassle to use. If you specifically want Brazen Atk/Spd 4 to deck out your favorite unit though, then that is going to be expensive and hard to obtain since only Wolt: Sunbeam Archer has it and he only comes around once a year and is only available for about a week or two.

10 hours ago, DarkSage861 said:

The only way for you to determine if it's something you now consider better or worse is for you to try it yourself and see what you think of it.

I'd say it's fun.

That said, don't expect too much fun in the Arena/other PVP Modes without a good team as you will eventually start encountering some pure sweat Units that are absurd with their skill set/stats.

Just joined last year about this time, since I finally got a smartphone. Didn't really care about FE other than 9/10/16.

Having some of my favorite characters (and villains!) be playable again has been a massive treat. I recently started paying for the Pass, but otherwise F2P, and it's been incredibly fun to just bounce along and slowly build the barracks with the favorites and "learn" how a new FE game works.  It's got a much longer shelf life than most other FE titles do, and I think that's why I like it.  You trade tight plot for continuous favorite character usability.

Haven't struggled with balancing getting new (powerful, favorite) units with hoarding orbs for my #1 favorite. I hover around ~1k orbs these days.

Would say it's worth another go for ~2 weeks or so, just to test it.

It really doesn't take much to give it a quick shot, I think a little over a month should suffice to see most if not all the games modes the game has gotten, but really even just a week would be enough for you to see how different it is from what you may have experienced back then. Getting powerful units is not much of a problem, the games starts you out with some very strong units just from the doing the story missions and other missions meant to teach the game. Recently there was a voting event and people chose to receive a very strong unit for free, which you can get until the 12th of this month i think, and it's very good. Banners introducing new heroes and a few others often allow you to pick one for free after a set amount of summoning attempts, getting rare (formerly only 5*) units at the 4* pool is a new and very rewarding feature just added this year, you'll really be able to get a good handful of strong units very quickly, and you can definitely amass a good sized pool of orbs without spending a dime if you put your mind to it.

For me the best part is just using the units i like, and having access to all of them in one game is just great, even if i'm not scoring on a competitive scale or anything. I have also gotten to see a ton of other great characters and learn about them, and the game play is as close to a main title as you'll ever get on a mobile version. I have only gotten familiar with the game since mid last year, but i have to say i don't find the game play irritating or annoying. You can really enjoy the game without investing a ton in characters, and if that's what you want, then you have a lot of resources to learn how to get resources efficiently and how to build a strong unit.

of course, all of that comes with the knowledge that it is a gatcha, but you can just ignore that if you just want to play the game, powercreep is only an issue on very competitive modes.

7 hours ago, Sil/phire said:

It really doesn't take much to give it a quick shot, I think a little over a month should suffice to see most if not all the games modes the game has gotten, but really even just a week would be enough for you to see how different it is from what you may have experienced back then. Getting powerful units is not much of a problem, the games starts you out with some very strong units just from the doing the story missions and other missions meant to teach the game. Recently there was a voting event and people chose to receive a very strong unit for free, which you can get until the 12th of this month i think, and it's very good. Banners introducing new heroes and a few others often allow you to pick one for free after a set amount of summoning attempts, getting rare (formerly only 5*) units at the 4* pool is a new and very rewarding feature just added this year, you'll really be able to get a good handful of strong units very quickly, and you can definitely amass a good sized pool of orbs without spending a dime if you put your mind to it.

For me the best part is just using the units i like, and having access to all of them in one game is just great, even if i'm not scoring on a competitive scale or anything. I have also gotten to see a ton of other great characters and learn about them, and the game play is as close to a main title as you'll ever get on a mobile version. I have only gotten familiar with the game since mid last year, but i have to say i don't find the game play irritating or annoying. You can really enjoy the game without investing a ton in characters, and if that's what you want, then you have a lot of resources to learn how to get resources efficiently and how to build a strong unit.

of course, all of that comes with the knowledge that it is a gatcha, but you can just ignore that if you just want to play the game, powercreep is only an issue on very competitive modes.

Yeah, this is important to keep in mind. As much effort as a lot of people put into stuff like merges and inheriting rare skills, it's all complete overkill. You don't even need that stuff to do well in competitive modes, if you get units with good base sets and play well.

And good point about Ninja Lyn. I think today might be the last day to get the free copy of her, and she's really good.

Edited by Othin