Support grinding in Conquest without DLC or My Castle?

MagicalAlbino

I want to recruit all the kids in Conquest (or as many as I can). Trouble is, I've made it to Chapter 18, and the only paralogues I've unlocked are Fight or Flight (Dwyer), Dragon Blood (Kana), and Great Heroism (Percy), so I still have ten kids left and about a third of the game left to get them. I still haven't done Kana or Percy's paralogues since I want to save them for later for the purposes of grinding supports. The only reason I recruited Dwyer early was so I could have him to heal in Chapter 12 while keeping Jakob a Wyvern Lord. So, is it feasible to pair up my remaining couples in two paralogues and approximately ten main story chapters? Also, how do I build supports? I know you can do it by healing, attacking while in Pair Up or Tag Team, or having Azura sing, but can you also build supports just by standing next to each other like in the GBA Fire Emblem games? I also know that the Before Awakening DLC map is infinitely repeatable and can be used to grind supports, but that's not an option since I have no money. I could use other people's castles, but I want to keep my first playthrough as isolated as possible, so I'll only do that if I have no other options. I appreciate your guidance.

You build support by having units doing actions with each other. So healing, singing, and attacking in either phase works. I haven't played the GBA games so I just want to be clear that you have to do more than just stand next to the other characters.

If most of your other pairs are at B or A rank at this point, it is technically possible. You would have to meticulously have your units paired up or adjacent to each other and try to milk the support gain as much as possible. Even on Normal, Conquest isn't too trivial so this probably won't be too optimal.

My Castle grinding is the way to go if most of your units aren't at B or A rank already. The child paralogues are even more opportunity to grind in-game.

Edited by LoneStar

Unfortunately, you pretty much have to use castle battles at this point. Also, paralogues scale with the progress you made in the game, and after a certain point (clearing chapter 18), the enemy units are all promoted.

5 hours ago, MagicalAlbino said:

So, is it feasible to pair up my remaining couples in two paralogues and approximately ten main story chapters? Also, how do I build supports? I know you can do it by healing, attacking while in Pair Up or Tag Team, or having Azura sing, but can you also build supports just by standing next to each other like in the GBA Fire Emblem games? I also know that the Before Awakening DLC map is infinitely repeatable and can be used to grind supports, but that's not an option since I have no money. I could use other people's castles, but I want to keep my first playthrough as isolated as possible, so I'll only do that if I have no other options. I appreciate your guidance.

It is still theoretically possibly to get all of the paralogues, but it will take a lot of dedication, and depending on the stats of the people you have to relationship grind it may be extremely difficult. The ways you build support points is summarized here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-basics/ , but you don't gain it simply by staying next to each-other, you need to be performing actions, and the number of points they gain has a cap per chapter, and don't accumulate after you reach the next level. The amount you need for each support level is summarized here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-growth/ and assuming your people are on the slow support gain it takes 7 chapters to S rank if you max the number of support points you get (and 6 chapters for the fast supports), but what makes this possible is you can use the Paralogues you unlock to gain support points, as you have enough chapters left to unlock enough paralogues in those 10 story chapters, to then get enough chapters of paralogues to grind up the last of the supports needed for the last of the child characters.

The difficult part as I see it is having all of the units that need to support being good enough to not be killed while getting support points in these latter game chapters or paralogues (as the paralogues scale in difficulty base on how far into the game you are when you start them)...

5 hours ago, MagicalAlbino said:

I also know that the Before Awakening DLC map is infinitely repeatable and can be used to grind supports, but that's not an option since I have no money.

Is this the part where I tell you that particular map is free?

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It is still theoretically possibly to get all of the paralogues, but it will take a lot of dedication, and depending on the stats of the people you have to relationship grind it may be extremely difficult. The ways you build support points is summarized here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-basics/ , but you don't gain it simply by staying next to each-other, you need to be performing actions, and the number of points they gain has a cap per chapter, and don't accumulate after you reach the next level. The amount you need for each support level is summarized here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-growth/ and assuming your people are on the slow support gain it takes 7 chapters to S rank if you max the number of support points you get (and 6 chapters for the fast supports), but what makes this possible is you can use the Paralogues you unlock to gain support points, as you have enough chapters left to unlock enough paralogues in those 10 story chapters, to then get enough chapters of paralogues to grind up the last of the supports needed for the last of the child characters.

The difficult part as I see it is having all of the units that need to support being good enough to not be killed while getting support points in these latter game chapters or paralogues (as the paralogues scale in difficulty base on how far into the game you are when you start them)...

Yeah, I think I mismanaged a lot of my resources. I kinda wanna start over from scratch and try a different Corrin build. I've heard Ninja is a really good talent. Master Ninja can use the Yato, has Lethality for a chance to instantly kill the enemy (not very good, but damn if it isn't satisfying to watch), and has reliable 1-2 range which is a blessing in Fates, while Mechanist gives Replicate, which seems like fun for cheese strats. Swordbreaker probably isn't that important considering daggers have WTA over Ryoma anyway, and it'd really be nice to be able to fight Takumi without having to worry about dying in a single shot from the Fujin Yumi. What do you think should be my boon and bane? Strong/Unlucky seems pretty good, since ninjas need strength a lot more than they need speed.

10 minutes ago, MagicalAlbino said:

Yeah, I think I mismanaged a lot of my resources. I kinda wanna start over from scratch and try a different Corrin build. I've heard Ninja is a really good talent. Master Ninja can use the Yato, has Lethality for a chance to instantly kill the enemy (not very good, but damn if it isn't satisfying to watch), and has reliable 1-2 range which is a blessing in Fates, while Mechanist gives Replicate, which seems like fun for cheese strats. Swordbreaker probably isn't that important considering daggers have WTA over Ryoma anyway, and it'd really be nice to be able to fight Takumi without having to worry about dying in a single shot from the Fujin Yumi. What do you think should be my boon and bane? Strong/Unlucky seems pretty good, since ninjas need strength a lot more than they need speed.

Your first run doesn't have to be perfect, and in my opinion you should get as far as you can before restarting.

However, if you really want to start over again, and be a Ninja this time, then the Strong boon makes the most sense, for the reason you stated. Although you could also try just leaving Corrin in their base class, and choosing your talent to pass it along to their lover...

1 hour ago, MagicalAlbino said:

Damn, really? I did not know that.

I used that map so many times, still do sometimes. I think I have a Pebble at like +7 because why the heck not.

23 minutes ago, MagicalAlbino said:

Ninja's ok, just really boring because literally every Corrin you find online picked Ninja(I say, as a Ninja myself). Personally I like Spear Master, but it's not the greatest choice.

It is more about doing maths than anything else.
Each chapter gives a maximum of 3 Support Points, and it more or less equals 6 attacks together in Attack Stance or Guard Stance.

The requirements for each Support Level are:
C = 3 Points // B = 7 Points (+4) // A= 11 Points (+4) // S = 16 Points (+5)
And Support Points are cumulative. Thus, from C to B, you need 4 more Points (and not 7 more).

Since each map gives a maximum of 3 Support Points, Support Level C requires only one map, while each subsequent level demands (at least) two more maps:
C = 3 // B = [C]+3+1 // A = {B}+3+1 // S = [A]+3+2
Another way to look at it: C // C+ // B // B+ // A // A+ // S
Therefore, for any given pair, we need (at least) seven maps to achieve Support Level S.

These calculations are the same for any pair (there are pairs with Fast Support, but let us ignore them now.)

Let us define our pairs as: Cornflakes & Odin, Effie & Niles and Silas & Mozu, for Ophelia, Nina and Sophie are the children whom I recruit more often (as main units, never for the Experience Points.)

Translating all these into actual chapters:

- Chapter 8: C&O and E&N reach Support Level C.
- Mozu's map: C&O and E&N reach C+; S&M reach C.
- Invasion 1: C&O and E&N reach B; S&M reach C+.
- Chapter 9: C&O and E&N reach B+; S&M reach B.
- Chapter 10: C&O and E&N reach A; S&M reach B+.
- Chapter 11: C&O and E&N reach A+; S&M reach A.
- Chapter 12: C&O and E&N reach S; S&M reach A+.
(- Ophelia's or Nina's map: S&M reach S.)

By Chapter 12, Ophelia, Nina and Sophie are all unlocked, always.

And this is actually a worst-case scenario, because
· Silas & Cornflakes or Silas & Effie would bear Sophie a map earlier, since they all meet in Chapter 7 (which was ignored in my example.)
· Within the first couples of maps it is highly possible (for there are very few units) that Cornflakes is visited by her Prince Charming, which grants 1 Support Point and saves an entire map to advance from C+ to B or from B+ to A.
· A Trust Seed or a talk between a couple in My Castle also grants 1 Support Point, which could save a map.

And as soon as the first child is born, it causes a Baby Boom, because this paralogue allows other pairs to get another 3 Support Points without advancing in the story.
This is how I very often recruit Ophelia, Nina and Sophie before starting Chapter 12. In fact, I know that this will happen on my current campaign because Odin already visited Cornflakes (Twice. Tinder does wonders, mate!)

Pairs with Fast Supports, like Cornflakes and Jakob or Effie and Arthur, for example, need one less map to reach Support Level S, but I used "normal pairs" to show my point. If you use units with Fast Supports, you can start recruiting children before Chapter 10.

For reference:
https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-basics/
https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-growth/