How to finish the Black-Beast last part without the shields renegreating in Chapter 5?

I’m at the post-end part of chapter 5, where you get introduced to fighting the Black beast monster at Chapter 5, and for the first part, I was able to chip down the first shield of the Black beast with my main core team (Cav Dimitri, Theif Female Byleth, Soldier Sylvain, Fighter Dedue and Mage Annette), with the various gambit uses, such as Disturbance, Assualt troop. However, what I find that I have trouble in this trouble is my units dodging the special monster attack (I believe it is called Thorns of Ruins?) that manages to hit Dimitri and F!Byleth the hardest, leaving them with less than half HP and since i only have one healer on my team and I try not to use too much of my physic uses (which is Mercedes and I could only recruit Marianne for this chapter mission, but she only has heal and not physic to heal my frontline team). How can I quickly get rid of the shields of the monsters that are intact, and to chip down the monster’s health when it is dazed before it recovers and the shields regenerates , without overusing my gambit uses or getting Dimitri and Sylvian killed (since they have the monster effectiveness combat arts along with Dedue) and using up all my Divine Pluses? Also, some of my units only have a certain amount of authority level, and there are some units that are in my BL house that haven’t managed to get the required authority level, so not all of my units have gambits that they can safely use in the post-end of chapter 5. Any advice or suggestions on which battalions are best effective against the Black Beast and which gambits should be linked? Please and Thank you. Also, sorry for the long, convoluted explanation. First time playing on hard classic of an FE game.

Use gambits and effective attacks (e.g. the Bane of Monsters combat art) to break shields in one hit. Every time a barrier is broken, the monster is stunned and cannot counter in the next combat (HOWEVER, this does NOT apply against certain bosses). Once all the barriers are gone, the monster suffers an armor break, gets paralyzed and cannot counter, and is unable to act on their turn.  Also, when you use a gambit, the user draws the attention of the monster; Blaze in particular is good for breaking barriers

Edited by Shadow Mir

When you break a barrier, the monster gets stunned. Notice that it has yellow swirly-bits flying about its head.

When you break all barriers, the monster gets broken. It'll have red swirly-bits about its head and you'll get a bit of ore.

Once it gets broken, it cannot counter for a turn, won't attack on it's next turn, and thereafter cannot regain any barriers after any following AoE attacks. This is typically the best way to kill monsters..

The previous two posters already covered it well, but to add a bit:

Be aware that after attacking once, a monster will "charge up" to use its staggering blow, which is a large area-of-effect attack, typically with 5 more power than their normal attack and often adding some status effect or other (you can check the monster's status screen to find details). On the next turn, the monster will use that attack if anyone is in range, or just attack if it needs to move. What's perhaps most important to note is that if a monster is ready to use a staggering blow at the start of the turn, it will regenerate ALL of its shields at the end of that turn (regardless of whether it actually uses the staggering blow or not), undoing all your work UNLESS you fully break all its barriers before then.

So in general, you'll want to do one of two things: either gambit once to draw the monster's attention and create a hole for others to attack, OR throw enough gambits (or other weakness-hitting effects) to break all the shields and paralyze it for a turn. And if you're going to paralyze it, try to do so early in the round, because it's a sitting duck for the rest of that round, but will recover the turn after.

Once you've fully paralyzed a monster it can never regenerate its barriers again, but be warned that also means that you can never break its barriers (and thus temporarily disable its counterattacks) again. There are a small number of bosses where you might want to time your full-break for a bit later in the fight so you can avoid some of the powerful latent effects they get on later healthbars (especially abilities like Wrath or Quick Riposte).

Just to clarify why people are suggesting you use Gambits, as they can hit multiple squares at once, they're also hitting multiple barriers at once. And I believe the square you use the gambit on will break a barrier completely, while the other squares will break the barrier half way (barriers require two attacks to be broken). So for a 4x4 monster you can break its barrier using three low level 1-2 range gambits provided you attack from the right angles (two at the front going vertically and one at the back going horizontally for example).

From the mention of Dimitri you probably won't be able to do this, but one way to really cheese monsters is to use the Encloser art, available on Claude and Bernadetta. That reduces movement of the monster to 0. Meaning you can repeatedly use hit and run tactics to break barriers without leaving your units in range of the monster. If your units are never in range of the monster, it will never charge up it AOE attack, and thus will never recover its barriers. Even if you can kill a monster without breaking all its barriers, it's still better to do so as it nets you ore, usually this is the only method to get the best ore needed to repair the best weapons.

Edited by Jotari

I'm playing on GD on Hard and I rushed this thing in 3-4 turns by spamming gambits and stunlocking the thing. I've managed to get lucky with the increased crit chance while the shields are down and it helped immensely that I had three healers on my team.

But otherwise, it's kind of an easy fight if you know what you're doing.

Most monsters in the game have 1-2 range so they wont counterattack 3 range attacks. You can use a 3 range attack like curved shot and one other attack to break a tile. Shield tiles will also break in 1 hit if hit by gambits or attacks effective against monsters. When a shield tile breaks, the monster will not counterattack for one attack. It also won't counterattack if an attack kills off a healthbar (this is a good time to get your mages in on the attack, otherwise they can't do anything because of the counterattack killing them). If you want to break shields for the resources, then you want battallions with blaze, poison tactics, fusillade and group flames, later upgrading to line of lances and resonant flames. But it's not always worthwhile breaking all of the tiles and its more effective to just break 1 or 2 tiles and focus your damage on those tiles to just kill the monster. There are a few missions where you're constantly being attacked by monsters and constantly breaking the shields with gambits will lead you to run out of gambits and get overrun, the first instance of which is Byleth's paralogue that becomes available in Chapter 8. I'd recommend getting Felix and Byleth to D in bows for curve shot (it's good to have in general for trivializing enemy flyers) and getting the Caduceus Staff from the Ocean View paralogue when it becomes available to give Annette 3 range. You can also recruit Lorenz and do his paralogue for Thyrsus which gives +2 range, but warning that paralogue can be kinda tough if your team doesn't have the tools to skip it.