I really like Harry Potter 6

Movie, I agree with. They did a great job with cinematography and music in it. The book not so much. Kind of meanders a lot and lacks a central throughline. You can tell Rowling was pretty much killing time with it just doing the necessary set up for the final installment.

As far as the movies go, my favorite and my least favorite are both PoA.  I think the PoA movie did a very good job taking advantage of its medium to portray the world, there's lots of little things happening in the background that make it feel super alive, and in that sense it's my favorite of the movies.  But it also kinda epically failed as an adaptation of the PoA book so it ends up as my least favorite in that regard.

HBP kinda... exists?  I guess?  Tbh I wasn't super impressed with either the book or the movie.  The book involved an awful lot of teen romance drama, which kinda bogged down the actual plot a bit.  But the movie also cut out most of the Voldemort backstory aside from the Slughorn thing so it's like, how does Harry know what he's supposed to look for for the Horcruxes?  

Dumbledore dying was pretty well done though

I always liked the 5th one, I think it was because it was pretty dark and edgy and I liked the whole thing with Umbridge progressively gaining authority. Very YA now that I think about it, but I guess the reason I like this rather than most YA books is there was much less romance than they usually have. Nothing really wrong with that by itself but its not really my cup of tea, and they also tend to be really predictable, which is obviously boring.

I also like how Prisoner of Azkaban did time travel, because it followed the Fixed-Timeline Theory, which is that the timeline is fixed and if you go back in time an "change" it, all you do is making it end up like how it is when you came from, if that makes sense. Like Sirius and the hippogriff never died, because Harry and Hermione went back in time to save them, or if you go back in time to when there were dinosaurs, but something goes wrong with your time machine and causes a big explosion which kills them all (so you are the "asteroid"). Or, you kill Hitler as a new-born, and replace him with another baby so his parents don't notice, but then Fake Hitler grows up an becomes Real Hitler. Harry and Hermione didn't change, they just made everything happen. It still has paradoxes though because they interact with each other in the past, which I'm not a fan of because they're a bit of a lazy way to not have to think about the order of events to have everything make sense. If Harry is surrounded by dementors, how the fuck does he survive to go back in time and save himself? He should have already died or become a soulless husk or whatever. Very lazy, but not as lazy as the Multiverse theory: yeah just go back in time and dick around, who cares because it just creates a new reality. Dynamic timelines are similar but there are actual stakes like in Back to the Future, where Marty has to make himself exist or prevent the Rich Biff timeline. However it just makes stupid rules, like where he turns invisible, like is there are timer or something going on? Why did he randomly turn invisible then? Why did his siblings disappear from the photo in age order? If the oldest doesn't exist, none of them will, they should all disappear at the same time, as soon as he screws up. Still good movies, but it annoys me. /rant

13 minutes ago, Stones said:

I always liked the 5th one, I think it was because it was pretty dark and edgy and I liked the whole thing with Umbridge progressively gaining authority. Very YA now that I think about it, but I guess the reason I like this rather than most YA books is there was much less romance than they usually have. Nothing really wrong with that by itself but its not really my cup of tea, and they also tend to be really predictable, which is obviously boring.

I also like how Prisoner of Azkaban did time travel, because it followed the Fixed-Timeline Theory, which is that the timeline is fixed and if you go back in time an "change" it, all you do is making it end up like how it is when you came from, if that makes sense. Like Sirius and the hippogriff never died, because Harry and Hermione went back in time to save them, or if you go back in time to when there were dinosaurs, but something goes wrong with your time machine and causes a big explosion which kills them all (so you are the "asteroid"). Or, you kill Hitler as a new-born, and replace him with another baby so his parents don't notice, but then Fake Hitler grows up an becomes Real Hitler. Harry and Hermione didn't change, they just made everything happen. It still has paradoxes though because they interact with each other in the past, which I'm not a fan of because they're a bit of a lazy way to not have to think about the order of events to have everything make sense. If Harry is surrounded by dementors, how the fuck does he survive to go back in time and save himself? He should have already died or become a soulless husk or whatever. Very lazy, but not as lazy as the Multiverse theory: yeah just go back in time and dick around, who cares because it just creates a new reality. Dynamic timelines are similar but there are actual stakes like in Back to the Future, where Marty has to make himself exist or prevent the Rich Biff timeline. However it just makes stupid rules, like where he turns invisible, like is there are timer or something going on? Why did he randomly turn invisible then? Why did his siblings disappear from the photo in age order? If the oldest doesn't exist, none of them will, they should all disappear at the same time, as soon as he screws up. Still good movies, but it annoys me. /rant

Don't forget "What happened to the Marty that actually grew up rich in the altered timeline?"

10 hours and no one has told you to read the books yet? Dang, this might be a world record.

Go read the books.

Anyway, 6’s movie isn’t the worst one, I will give it that. I absolutely love how they handled 

Spoiler

Dumbledore’s death.

Actually, it might have been up with my favorites, but I remember surprisingly little about these movies considering I watched them again threeish months ago.

I don’t know if I really have a favorite of these films, none of them really touched me but I can offer up my least favorite as Deathly Hallows Part I because nothing happens. If I had to pick a favorite, I would be stuck picking between 3, 5, 6 and 8.

As far as the books go, nothing will ever top 4, but the Goblet of Fire movie... 😭.

Edited by Sooks

12 hours ago, Magical Glace said:

HBP kinda... exists?  I guess?  Tbh I wasn't super impressed with either the book or the movie.  The book involved an awful lot of teen romance drama, which kinda bogged down the actual plot a bit.  But the movie also cut out most of the Voldemort backstory aside from the Slughorn thing so it's like, how does Harry know what he's supposed to look for for the Horcruxes?  

Reveal hidden contents

Dumbledore dying was pretty well done though

I think that's part of the charm. ) : They're teens. What's wrong with it.

12 hours ago, the actual real soul said:

I think that's part of the charm. ) : They're teens. What's wrong with it.

I mean yeah, but considering the end of the last book was Voldemort being back being accepted by the public at large, teen romance drama feels like a bit of a distraction.  It's also just... not great teen romance drama either.  At least that's what I remember thinking of it.

Whenever I reread HBP I'm mostly there for the Voldemort stuff.