E3 2021 Hopes/Predictions

On 4/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, King Marth 64 said:

Another Mega Man Legacy Collection that wasn't included before like Mega Man Legends series, Star Force series, or Battle Network series

I can't believe I forgot about Mega Man; I would love a legacy collection of the spin-offs, especially Battle Network. I only ever played Battle Network 5 (Team Colonel) and Battle Network 6 (Cybeast Gregar), and I would love to be able to go through the whole series. I know ports of them were available on the Wii U e-shop for $6; that's how I got Battle Network 6, but it would be nice to get a collection of them (and for the Switch).ย 

That said, Star Force would also be great, especially since those were DS games, so it would be good to see them reworked to no longer need two screens & a touchscreen; that way, they can last longer.

By the way, what did you think of my list of E3 hopes/predictions/fears?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• New Fire Emblem game (preferably a Jugdralย Echoes game, I want to give those games a chance)
  • New Smash DLC
  • New Crash Bandicootย ย 

That's about it really, just hope it isn't disappointing.ย 

On 4/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, King Marth 64 said:

Another Mega Man Legacy Collection that wasn't included before like Mega Man Legends series, Star Force series, or Battle Network series

There's actually quite a few classic styled mega man games on gameboy that I think can fit into one last collection. Five of them set in the classic series. And the two Mega Man Xtreme games set in the X universe. And throw in Mega Man & Bass as an eighth game. I believe all eight of those are technically on the 3DS eshop (mega man & Bass is on the Wii U eshop), but they really ought to be in a collection even if they don't have a goodย reputation. Nobody batted an eye when Konami released "the bad ones" on their collections. Gives us a fresh chance to re-evaluate the series. Also I'd take the gameboy megamans over X5-8 any day. Those were just one mistake after another.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, Glennstavos said:

There's actually quite a few classic styled mega man games on gameboy that I think can fit into one last collection. Five of them set in the classic series. And the two Mega Man Xtreme games set in the X universe. And throw in Mega Man & Bass as an eighth game. I believe all eight of those are technically on the 3DS eshop (mega man & Bass is on the Wii U eshop), but they really ought to be in a collection even if they don't have a goodย reputation. Nobody batted an eye when Konami released "the bad ones" on their collections. Gives us a fresh chance to re-evaluate the series. Also I'd take the gameboy megamans over X5-8 any day. Those were just one mistake after another.

I remember that game; it's the only classic Megaman game I've played because it was available for the GameBoy Advance. I remember that game being a lot of fun when it wasn't being difficult in all the wrong ways to make a game difficult. There were definitely a lot of things that seemed very unfair. It being added to a collection would pretty much guarantee it just being a port, but I would love if the difficulty was subtly tweaked in areas just to make the game less trial-&-error (especially if you're playing as Megaman).ย 

Edited by vanguard333

I wish they'd included Xtreme 1 and 2 on the X Legacy collection; they could have moved X4 to Part 2 and had five games in each half. That said, a collection consisting of Mega Man I-V, Xtreme 1&2, and MM&B would be pretty sweet. IV and V in particular are praised for innovating the series some, IV for adding the shopย to the series and V for experimenting with a set of bosses who aren't named "Something Man" as well as featuring a final boss that isn't Wily.

X8 is actually regarded much better than X5, X6, or X7 as it fixed most of their issues, added the Navigators as female playable characters almost as good as their male counterparts, and subverted the usual "Hijacked by Sigma" plot with a final boss who instead hijacks the plot from Sigma himself. The main issue the X series faced after X5 was a lack of direction; X2, 3, and 4 all built up Sigmaย and Zero's significance in some way or another, culminating in X5's iconic and climactic showdowns, while 6,ย 7, and 8 are all rather disjointed in comparison. However, I can appreciate the fact that X6 expanded on Alia's character, as well as X8 following X7's introduction of Axl with the development of New Generation Reploids that feature advanced versions of his Chameleon Chip. I just didn't care for how X and Zero were redesigned in X8, and I'm relieved those designs didn't stick.

I've been planning a MMX remake series with the intention of ironing out a lot of the original series' wrinkles, expanding the gameplay and scope to a large 3D world full of colorful characters, including many who are introduced earlier than in the original series. Each game is now split into three acts, each featuring its own set of eight Maverick bosses and a more detailed storyline.

20 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I wish they'd included Xtreme 1 and 2 on the X Legacy collection; they could have moved X4 to Part 2 and had five games in each half. That said, a collection consisting of Mega Man I-V, Xtreme 1&2, and MM&B would be pretty sweet. IV and V in particular are praised for innovating the series some, IV for adding the shopย to the series and V for experimenting with a set of bosses who aren't named "Something Man" as well as featuring a final boss that isn't Wily.

X8 is actually regarded much better than X5, X6, or X7 as it fixed most of their issues, added the Navigators as female playable characters almost as good as their male counterparts, and subverted the usual "Hijacked by Sigma" plot with a final boss who instead hijacks the plot from Sigma himself. The main issue the X series faced after X5 was a lack of direction; X2, 3, and 4 all built up Sigmaย and Zero's significance in some way or another, culminating in X5's iconic and climactic showdowns, while 6,ย 7, and 8 are all rather disjointed in comparison. However, I can appreciate the fact that X6 expanded on Alia's character, as well as X8 following X7's introduction of Axl with the development of New Generation Reploids that feature advanced versions of his Chameleon Chip. I just didn't care for how X and Zero were redesigned in X8, and I'm relieved those designs didn't stick.

I've been planning a MMX remake series with the intention of ironing out a lot of the original series' wrinkles, expanding the gameplay and scope to a large 3D world full of colorful characters, including many who are introduced earlier than in the original series. Each game is now split into three acts, each featuring its own set of eight Maverick bosses and a more detailed storyline.

Why not put allย the Game Boy games from Classic Mega Man and X series into as Mega Man Handheld or Portable Legacy Collection instead? I did kinda forget to think about those Handheld Mega Man games earlier.

You know another series that could use a compilation collection? Final Fantasyย I-VI, either in their original forms (with English translations in II, III, and V's cases) or enhanced for Switch with a graphical style similar to the PSP releases of I, II, and IV. Or, crazy idea, they remake all six games in HD 3D, keeping the more cartoony aesthetic while adding lavishly detailed textures and animations, perhaps voice acting as well. If they want to go even further, they can include style choices for each game, ranging from Original to Modern. I think I'll call this compilation...

Final Fantasyย Classic Collection

For even more fun, what if there was a new subplot spanning all six games, featuring a band of heroes traveling between the worlds? Or you could have, say, six new bonusย party members, one for each game, who hail from a seventh world to which they are trying to returnย and there reunite with each other, leading into a seventhย story where the heroes of the other six worlds follow their new friends toย their troubled home world and help them save it. Thus, Final Fantasy Classic Collectionย would be effectively a crossover as well as a compilation. The Seventh world would be designed around the fact the various heroes gathering to save it are presumably at endgame levels, making it a sort of postgame challenge akin to FFII's Soul of Rebirth. The Seventhย World could feature enhanced versions of monsters from each of the six classic worlds, including bosses. There could even be team-ups or outright fusions, likeย the Four Fiends and Archfiends forming pairs based on element (Lich/Scarmiglione, Marilith/Rubicante, Kraken/Cagnazzo, and Tiamat/Barbariccia) or Astos combining with his lookalike from FFIV to create a larger, more powerful Dark Elf.

We could see the heroes of the different games interact as well, like Yang and Sabin having a friendly sparring session with each other, or Leila and Faris sharing pirate stories. Guy and Lenna could bond over their sharedย affinity for animals. Firion could note how Kain reminds him of Ricard. Cecil could offer Leon advice onย seeking redemption. Rydia could display fascination with Terra over the fact the former is a summoner and the latter a half-Esper (making her similar to an Eidolon). And of course Edgar would flirt with many of the women from other worlds, including Maria, Leila, Rosa, Rydia, Lenna, and Faris. What'd be really interesting, is seeing how the heroes of FFI fit in to the whole dynamic, since the player determines their jobs, names, etc. Perhaps different jobs get different reactions?

Speaking of FF1, something I'd love to see is a sort of expansion remake that adds some concepts from later games like summons, job changing, Moogles, and Chocobos, as well asย Gender/Race choices for your party members.

Spoiler

The races would be Human, Elf, Dwarf, Merfolk, and Moogle, along with maybe Beastfolk and Dragonfolk. With the exception of the well-rounded Humans, each race features two stat bonuses and two stat penalties. Dwarves for example feature bonuses to Strength and Stamina but penalties to Agility and Luck, while Moogles would have bonuses to Agility and Intelligenceย but penalties to Strength and Stamina.

This FF1 remake would also distribute Jobs in an interesting way. Your party members all start as Freelancers and acquire their first six jobs in Corneria before facing Garland, by speaking to different NPCs. Once you defeat Garland, a few more jobs become available such as Bard and Dancer. The four Crystals each grant a set of jobs as they did in IIIย and V, but there are also a healthy number of Jobs to be found through other means. You gain the Summoner Job when you acquire your first Eidolon. Dr. Une teaches you the Scholar Job in Melmond. A Dwarf in Mt. Duergar teaches you how to be a Machinist. The promoted Jobs you originally gained from Bahamut are now granted to you at the end of the Citadel of Trials. Jobs gained from the Crystals tend to focus more on raw power while Jobs gained elsewhere tend to focus more on utility and support. Like in FFV, Jobs feature skills which can be learned.

The weapon list is likewise expanded, covering both common weapon types such as Swords, Daggers, and Bows,ย as well as more unique types tied to specific jobs like Bell, Book, and Instrument. Jobs specializing in certain weapon types can grant an Equip Skill for that type, allowing the user to equip that weapon type regardless of their Job.

Black and White Magic spell lists are revamped to be more in line with later games. Spell families includeย Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Sleep, Aero, Cure, Protect, Shell, Raise,ย Slow, Haste, and Stop, and one-offs include Break, Quake, Flare, Comet, Float, Silence, Esuna, Regen, Reflect, and Holy. Time Magic returns along with the Time Mage job. Blue Magic returns with the Blue Mage job.

Eidolons are grouped into four tiers: Minor, Major, Grand, and Master. Minor Eidolons are weak, common creatures such as Chocobo and Goblin who can be summoned repeatedly for low MP costs. Major Eidolons are special beings with powerful abilities such as Carbuncle and Phoenix. The Grand Eidolons are powerful entities who unleash devastating elemental attacks on the enemy party. Master Eidolons are few and far between, and sport the game's most powerful effects with hefty MP costs to match.

ย 

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 3 weeks later...

Three hopes for E3:

- Crash or Phoenix Wright for Smash

- FE4 Remake, to be released by year's end

- New! Pokemon Stadium

Three expectations for E3:

- New Smash Fighter revealed

- More details on Diamond/Pearl remakes

- New Switch model, the Switch++

Three fears for E3:

- A Smash newcomer I'm not into

- Price increase of Switch Online

- Great Ace Attorney Chronicles get delayed

• 3 weeks later...

Hopes:
Fire emblem path of radiance remake
Mario Odyssey 2
Bethesda fallout or elder scrolls game on switch
Animal Crossing New Horizons major update
Anything about Project Triangle Strategy
Master Chief in smash (alternatively: Jonesy from Fortnite in smash because of the internet's reaction)
Master Chief collection on the switch
Non-nintendo hope:ย I really hope Halo infinite will be good....

Predictions:
New Fire Emblem Remake
Project triangle strategy
An announcement of Pokemon direct like a week afterwards
Cinderace or Toadย in smash
Non-nintendo prediction: Halo infinite will look good, but not amazing

Fears:
Master Chief will never beย in smash. We get Edelgard instead
Animal Crossing update adds something horrible like microtransactions
No triangle strategy at all
Non-nintendo fear:ย Halo infinite will look HORRIBLE

Hopes:

• Metroid Prime 4
  • New 2D Metroid
  • New Fire Emblem (preferably a brand new game or Genealogy remake)
  • Breath of the Wild 2
  • Hollow Knight:ย Silksong (HAHA fat chance)
  • Gravity Rush 3 (HAHAHA fatter chance)
  • A new From Software Soulsborneย game
  • A character I don't care about in Smash (so I can easily continue to ignore the game)

I am mostly hopin' for more info on BotW 2, as well as potentially more on Lost Judgement. Maybe something for FE, but for whatever reason I've felt quite down on the franchise as of late, so it would take something really shocking to get me hyped. DLC for Age of Calamity could be nice, but I dunno if I'd go back to it after 100%'ing it.

ย 

Otherwise, I really, really hope for Switch ports of most of the Yakuza games; it's possible that the Dragon Engine games would be too chunky for the Switch to deal with, but Yakuza 0 should be able to run at 30 or so FPS, since it's a 2015 game. Maybe even 60, but I don't know how the docked Switch compares to PS4/Xbox 1, which could run it at 60. (If anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me!) Kiwami and the remastered collection would also fit very well, but it'd be kinda odd to simply skip the second game in the series. If the Switch could handle Y0 at 60, it'd probably do fine for the remaining Yakuza games, namely Kiwami 2, Like a Dragon and potentially even Judgement. I know that Yakuza on Switch is something of a pipe dream, but still, it'd be pretty great.

As for random other stuff... Maybe a Kirby remastered collection? I'd be pretty happy to see Epic Yarn or Return to Dreamland switch over to modern consoles, translations of older FEs, (granted...OG Thracia 776 being on modern consoles would probably cause some issues) or anything that uses motion controls.

ย 

Speaking of motion controls, since they're using them for SSHD, I'm deeply hoping that they're also an option for BotW 2, whenever that releases. As for when I'd guess that would be...Not knowing the scope of the game, maybe November? Regardless, I'm happy to wait as long as the devs need for BotW 2 to arrive.

News of Silk Song could be nice as well, I suppose.

Would be cool to see a Chrono Trigger remake be announced, either with hand-drawn art or full 3D graphics. A reimagining of Chrono Cross would also be nice, preferably trimming most of the chaff party members in favor of giving the worthwhile members more time to shine.

A Mega Man Legendย Legacy Collection or remake would be a nice follow up to Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. Considering that the 3D graphics haven't aged as well as their 2D contemporaries, they might want to go the remake route on that one. I hear HD remakes of classic PS1 games have been doing pretty well lately.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Lots of game news in the last 24 hours. Dragon quest. Sonic. Dying Light 2, Horizon 2. I doubt any individual day of E3 this year will be packed that much.

Here's a full schedule of E3. Because when this thread was made, the only confirmed attendee was Nintendo. It's the usual companies, but now Microsoft and Bethesda's conferences have merged, and EA isn't doing a conference. Not on that list is Devolver Digital. They have confirmed they'll be there, they just haven't announced the day and time. That's great because they have been the highlight of the last three E3s for me.

My newย predictions for E3 2021 that I might going to be adding it in since these were recently announced after I put my other two predictions post in:

• Game Builder Garage Showcase
  • Dragon Quest XII Showcase and Game Play Footages
  • Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake Showcase
  • New Nintendo Switch Console Version
  • New Sega Announcements
Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I've taken some time to meditate on someย high risk high reward, final bets. God help us all:

• How many confirmed kills in the Devolver Digital Direct?: Just three. I'm thinking this year's going to be super wholesome.
  • Will Bethesda apologize (for anything)?: No, but Todd Howard or Pete Hines will make a self-deprecating joke.
  • Will they show off dual casting magic in an Elder Scrolls 6 trailer?: Yes, and alsoย fire breathing.
  • How Does Halo Infinite win back fans and critics alike?: A deep dive into the game's multiplayer and level creator suite. I very much believe Halo's only been in a bad spot because it's focusing on its single player campaign rather than the good stuff.
  • Will Elden Ring show up?: Keighley never disappoints. It's coming back.
  • Between Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, and Beyond Good and Evil 2, which vaporware game finally makes its return to E3 - with gameplay?: Bayonetta 3. The others are a total no show.
  • What will be in Final Fantasy 16's trailer that makes us immediately think of Devil May Cry?: The main character will launch a goblinย in the air with their sword, juggle them with fireball magic, then trickster warp up there for some air slashes.
  • Will the words "live service" be spoken in a showcase of either Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League?: No. But like...we all see it, right?
  • Breath of the wild 2 is the finalized name?: Yep. 2022. Trailer looks neat! You still can't play as Zelda but one of the characters has a cute lil' animal companion that will appear in every youtube thumbnail for Nintendo direct reactions/discussions.
  • What is Nintendo Treehouse's livestream schedule (un-ordered): Skyward Sword, Mario Golf Super Rush, One game announced in the Direct that nobody is particularly hype for, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, Game Builder Garage, No More Heroes 3
  • Will the 'Switch Pro' reveal itself?: No.
  • What video games will be announced with title reveals (no gameplay, no details, just a logo): Capcom vs SNK 3, Monolith Soft's next game (which doesn't have Xeno in the title!), Fallout 5, Silent Hills, and Square Enix's Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • What is the absolute strangest announcement at E3 that nobody saw coming but makes an obnoxious amount of sense?: Gex 4. Keyword: Obnoxious. Because he's diving into internet memes, rather than the television. And Crystal Dynamics is still around to make this dumb game.

ย 

6/11 update: One for the road, I think the best announcement regarding a bethesda game is that Obsidian entertainment will assist with the development of Elder Scrolls 6.

Edited by Glennstavos

You know, I'll admit that a Gex 4 themed around the internet actually sounds interesting. One thing Gex 4 needs to do is to expand on the gecko's skillset, perhaps giving him new moves that reference popular shows or films. Ooh, maybe a costume-based mechanic? For examples, Son Gexu can shoot fireballs, Wizard Gex can make stuff float using his wand, andย Gex Highwalker gets to use a sweet beam saber.

I'm also thinking Gex could go a little more Banjo-Kazooie in the way his levels are laid out, depending on if the game is 2D or 3D. Each world you visit is themed around a particular genre, such as Shonen or Magic School. Collecting Remotes is of course your main goal. Each world features a boss to fight for one of said remotes. I'm thinking the bosses holdย Golden Remotes needed to open the way to REZ's hideout, while Silver Remotes are needed to access the bosses themselves.

And imagine if Gex gained his ownย sidekick? Basically, his answer to Kazooie or Laylee? What if said sidekick was a sort of "sprite" who can change form to suit each world they visit? In the Magic School world, she could beย an owl, while in the Sci-Fi world, she could be an alien or robot.

Also, what if Gex gained a rival? Maybe someone who works for REZ as a mascot like REZ wanted Gex himself to? Like Gex,ย said rival is a TV buff with access to different outfits and powers based on which world they visit. Thus, each world would probably have a duel with said rival as a mini boss, culminating in a final duel with them in REZ's world.

Oh, and of course said game simply must be subtitled "Return of the Gecko".

Edited by Lord_Brand

Geoff Keighly has been released from Gamer Prison. Elden RIIIIIIIIING

ย 

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

You know, I'll admit that a Gex 4 themed around the internet actually sounds interesting.

What no. Don't encourage such cursed ideas.

My hopes for E3 2021:

BotW2 release date, gameplay, the works

Metroid Prime Trilogy

WWHD Switch port

Tellius ports/remasters

Non-remake/remaster FE news of some kind

New 3D Metroid.

I never really cared too much for E3, but here are some minor wishes:

• Xenoblade X port for Switch
  • Tellius remaster for Switch
  • new F-Zero game
  • new StarFox game
  • new Kirby game
  • Kirby character for Smash (preferably my sisters and me)
Edited by Zan Partizanne

Here's my wish list:

• New Paper Mario or new Mario RPG
  • BotW2 info
  • Zelda Oracle remakes
  • New Donkey Kong game (preferably with Kremlings)
  • Star Fox Adventures remake (preferably with more playable Krystal)
  • New Shantae
  • Mega Man 12 (more female Robot Masters, please!)
  • Mega Man X9 and/or new MMX remake (HD 2.5D on Switch? Yes, please!)
  • Mega Man Legends Collection
  • Final Fantasy 1-6 remakes for Switch
  • Crash, Shantae, Krystal, X, or Eggman as Smash DLC fighter 10