Tellius Remake - Rumors & Potentials

kradeelav

So there's a pretty interesting reddit post that gathered a lot of the very faint "Tellius Remake" rumors that i've been hearing for the past year.  Now normally, I roll my eye at most rumors/speculation (I don't care about games/movies/pop culture these days), except for the fact this happens to be my one all-time favorite game with a speculation that at least feels slightly more credible than the ol 'my uncle works at Nintendo' anon meme.

With my cynical corporate hat (I work in a media corp), the theory below of the remake being delayed due to Covid seems ... also surprisingly dead-on. Marketing initiatives are a whole different (and almost bigger) juggernaut than the actual game is, since there's a whole pipeline of making the internal and external sales pitch and contracts with vendors (say, the figmas), the creation timeline, the marketing for that, on and on - so I can see Covid screwing up the 'push marketing all in the 2 calendar quarters where game sales matter most' bit.

Honestly the whole post is pretty copypaste worthy, so transcribing it below:

A user named "thanibomb" in 2019 revealed a large amount of information about Fire Emblem Three Houses before it was known, which all turned out to be true when the game got it's next trailer and was released.

Ever since the Beginning of 2020, the Fire Emblem Heroes mobile game has been having an unusually high amount of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn related content, such as seasonal variants of these characters appearing every month (in 2020 only), and the pattern of the game subscription service "Feh pass" being broken recently by one of the protagonists from these games. A statue of the duology's main protagonist was also recently released.

Users on r/FireEmblemHeroes discuss this pattern and speculate something minor, but then "thanibomb" replies saying that they think it is something "much bigger."

In response, another user then speculates that these characters might have been released throughout 2020 to coincide with these remakes, but the remakes were delayed while the mobile game content was not.

The leaker "thanibomb" then replies to this comment specifically with emoji eyes, possibly hinting that what this user speculated is true, and that these supposed remakes of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and/or Radiant Dawn were planned to release in 2020 but were delayed due to the pandemic.

EDIT: A user in this thread named /u/JDraks has informed me in their comment that "thanibomb" has made even more similar comments previously in the past month, shown here:

"It's worth noting that thani has been subtly hinting at this for at least the past month and a half, but it's only now that they're starting to lean more into it.

Additionally, and this one could mean nothing but it's still worth noting, when thani was asked what it'd take to bring them back from Genshin they said "An RD remake".

JDraks original comment includes additional speculation.

I'm pretty lukewarm on this. Tellius doesn't need a remake. What it needs is a re-release. The games have aged fine as is with the biggest problem being that the games are hard to purchase these days. The gameplay might look a little ugly but the spritework is excellent and I'd be rather bummed out if that got replaced by anything. 

The effort involving a remake can be better spend on games that have never been released in the west, and who cannot be played (legally) at all without a remake. I know Ike is a big deal but we're familiar with him and we can play his games, all the more so if they get a decent release. But Sigurd and Roy most fans don't know yet, and they'll never know them until their games get released in the west. 

O.J. just covered this on his youtube channel, player essence just a short while ago.

I do agree that it would make a lot of sense. I mean, the success of 3H is a bit of a game changer. The people at IS know how much money they can make with a Tellius re-release, no matter the format. The original games are still very playable, so a simple virtual console release would have made quite a few sales. If that was an option, it would have happened already. It hasn't, so it means they have other plans for these games.

Edit: But I do agree a virtual console release would suit my tastes better, especially if they make FE4 the next FE echoes 😍

Edited by Taho

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm pretty lukewarm on this. Tellius doesn't need a remake. What it needs is a re-release. The games have aged fine as is with the biggest problem being that the games are hard to purchase these days. The gameplay might look a little ugly but the spritework is excellent and I'd be rather bummed out if that got replaced by anything. 

The effort involving a remake can be better spend on games that have never been released in the west, and who cannot be played (legally) at all without a remake. I know Ike is a big deal but we're familiar with him and we can play his games, all the more so if they get a decent release. But Sigurd and Roy most fans don't know yet, and they'll never know them until their games get released in the west. 

I respectfully disagree. The games are certainly good and still hold up to some degree, but I don't think releasing the games in their current state would be all that attractive for new fans to give them a go. For one, the graphics really do not hold up very well at all. The models look well.. old. Because that's what they are. The sprites are nice yeah, but I don't see they would be replaced? They look nice so they wouldn't really need to be replaced, and even the newest Fire Emblem game has sprites, though they are smaller. Also, the game has no voice acting aside from cutscenes and... we don't talk about that voice acting. It would really need to be replaced because that just doesn't wash in this day and age when voice acting can easily be good. Radiant Dawn especially could use some reworking in some aspects. One, give the game actual support conversations do the new characters actually receive more characterization! (And for PoR, make supports unlimited and maybe add some more). Second, and this is entirely a personal issue and might be controversial, but let us get all the secret 2nd playthrough conditional stuff be unlocked on the first playthrough. One of my biggest issues with Three Houses and a surprising big amount of the series is that you need to replay the games to get every juicy detail and get the full story. (The GBA games and Three Houses are the biggest examples of this!) Why do I have to play the game twice and do some things that I would need to look up in a guide to even know it is a thing to get not only two completely new characters to use, albeit one of them is only available on the final map, and even important scenes in the story!? I'm just so annoyed they lock important things like this behind second playthroughs or limited supports, or even worse, obscure things you need to do which a normal player can't possibily know without looking it up in some guide. This could also be a decent opportunity to add some extra stuff to the games that would just benefit it. Full Voice acting would just improve the presentation and make the game much more attractive to pick up, and the addition of Casual Mode is very important and many players who would otherwise play the game, wouldn't play it since the concept of permadeath is just too daunting or exhausting to deal with.

However, I do agree with you that other games need remakes MORE, and I would latter see them complete the Japan-exclusive games. And I want them to do something with Archanea again. They deserve better, especially since the latter of the two remakes didn't even come to the west, and yes I'm still salty about that.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention this but please make the game faster/give the game a speedup button. Holy crap the games are so slow Pokémon Diamond and Pearl look fast in comparison.

Edited by Michelaar

It's most likely nothing. As this article here states thanibomb knows nothing more than the rest of us and was just hopefully optimistic herself:

tinyurl.com/p2tvzz2m

Anyway, if anything, other games need the Echoes treatment more. Tellius can wait a bit longer. Even if they're my favourite games in the series.

even if this leaker had actual informations about a potential PoR/RD remake, i'd not lose my mind about it
i'm with those who think PoR and RD don't need a remake as much as they need a Switch re-release, or even a remaster, if they really feel like spending money in """improving""" a GC game and a Wii game's graphics

but, assuming there's actually a PoR/RD remake releasing this year, i'd absolutely NOT want it to add a main character, an explorable base à la Garreg Mach, battalions and basically anything 3H added/removed

Remasters would make a lot more sense than full-on remakes. Both games could use some touching up (especially PoR), but no more.

As for the potential of the rumors, a lot of that speculation is reaching pretty hard. If it happens, cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really wouldn't care if a Tellius remake doesn't happen but if it does, I pray for Jason Adkins to come back for Ike (and whoever voiced Black Knight in the old games) I can't stand their Heroes VAs now

Edited by DarkSage861

1 hour ago, Vicious Sal said:

It's most likely nothing. As this article here states thanibomb knows nothing more than the rest of us and was just hopefully optimistic herself:

tinyurl.com/p2tvzz2m

Anyway, if anything, other games need the Echoes treatment more. Tellius can wait a bit longer. Even if they're my favourite games in the series.

13 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

@kradeelav
Request to add the URL I posted earlier to be added to the main page, since the info in the Op isn't all that relevant anymore. 😉

Despite not putting much stock in the rumors myself, I don't actually think this means much. Thanibomb could have information and be willing to start dropping subtle hints, but not yet be willing to tell any news sites "Yeah, I'm leaking remakes" just yet. As I recall she did a similar thing with the Three Houses leaks where she made some comments that, in hindsight, were pretty informed before she started actually leaking information.

As much as I love Telluis, I'd rather see the older games (FEs 4-6) remade first.

That said, I personally doubt if FE 4 & 5 will ever be remade.

As for PoR or RD, I will be happy when they do make it... Which I honestly doubt will be anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

but, assuming there's actually a PoR/RD remake releasing this year, i'd absolutely NOT want it to add a main character, an explorable base à la Garreg Mach, battalions and basically anything 3H added/removed

An explorable base wouldn't really work since the Greil Mercenaries spend the entire story on the move. However battalions would fit pretty well with Tellius. More then any other games the Tellius games show that there really is a war with massive amounts of soldiers going on. In earlier games we're  supposed to assume the rest of the army is around but that we just don't get to see them, while in the Tellius games they actually show up a lot. 

The person who posted on Reddit also posted a second time, talking about the Nintendo Enthusiast link. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/mp7m6z/nintendo_enthusiast_claims_that_they_contacted/

Overall, while I consider PoR one of the objectively best FE games to reach the West, RD is one of my (if not my) least favorite FE games. Hearing about a remake of games I already own over something that I don't own and deserves a remake more IMO such as FE 4-6 doesn't make me as happy as it makes others. 

Ultimately, a different Reddit comment said it best IMO - the best news we could get would be a Genealogy remake, and a Tellius duology remaster (with a remake later down the line). 

If the rumors are true, I'll still buy the games and retry them - Remakes are second chances so rarely given, and I think there's a lot that can be done to enhance the experience. But I'd still prefer a remake of something else than this. 

That being said, if this is true, I'll be happy for those who have wanted it. My lack of joy doesn't mean others shouldn't be joyful.

Edited by Use the Falchion

I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this. On one hand, Path of Radiance is great but Radiant Dawn isn't super great and could definitely use touching up. Plus, more exposure for my man Brom. On the other hand, I feel like Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 are in more of a need for a remake, whereas the Tellius games seem better suited for a remaster and/or rerelease. I also kinda feel like IS would want to remake Binding Blade before anything else, given comments they've made in past years. But, hey, anything is possible, and if the Tellius games are getting remakes, I'm definitely buying them.

8 hours ago, Michelaar said:

I respectfully disagree. The games are certainly good and still hold up to some degree, but I don't think releasing the games in their current state would be all that attractive for new fans to give them a go. For one, the graphics really do not hold up very well at all. The models look well.. old. Because that's what they are. The sprites are nice yeah, but I don't see they would be replaced? They look nice so they wouldn't really need to be replaced, and even the newest Fire Emblem game has sprites, though they are smaller. Also, the game has no voice acting aside from cutscenes and... we don't talk about that voice acting. It would really need to be replaced because that just doesn't wash in this day and age when voice acting can easily be good. Radiant Dawn especially could use some reworking in some aspects. One, give the game actual support conversations do the new characters actually receive more characterization! (And for PoR, make supports unlimited and maybe add some more). Second, and this is entirely a personal issue and might be controversial, but let us get all the secret 2nd playthrough conditional stuff be unlocked on the first playthrough. One of my biggest issues with Three Houses and a surprising big amount of the series is that you need to replay the games to get every juicy detail and get the full story. (The GBA games and Three Houses are the biggest examples of this!) Why do I have to play the game twice and do some things that I would need to look up in a guide to even know it is a thing to get not only two completely new characters to use, albeit one of them is only available on the final map, and even important scenes in the story!? I'm just so annoyed they lock important things like this behind second playthroughs or limited supports, or even worse, obscure things you need to do which a normal player can't possibily know without looking it up in some guide. This could also be a decent opportunity to add some extra stuff to the games that would just benefit it. Full Voice acting would just improve the presentation and make the game much more attractive to pick up, and the addition of Casual Mode is very important and many players who would otherwise play the game, wouldn't play it since the concept of permadeath is just too daunting or exhausting to deal with.

However, I do agree with you that other games need remakes MORE, and I would latter see them complete the Japan-exclusive games. And I want them to do something with Archanea again. They deserve better, especially since the latter of the two remakes didn't even come to the west, and yes I'm still salty about that.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention this but please make the game faster/give the game a speedup button. Holy crap the games are so slow Pokémon Diamond and Pearl look fast in comparison.

Yeah, the models wouldn't fly in a modern, full-price rerelease (even a two-for-one deal). Honestly, I'd say Path of Radiance, in particular, has aged worse than any other FE title, ppst-NES. Admittedly, I haven't played OG Mystery myself, so not sure on that one. But the primitive models, the less-than-stellar cutscenes and voice acting, the overall slowness of the game, and some weird stuff (no combat forecast in-battle) certainly need an overhaul. Radiant Dawn came out much better, but it could still stand some polish for a modern "remaster" of sorts. Would love to see full voice acting brought to these games, for instance.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

An explorable base wouldn't really work since the Greil Mercenaries spend the entire story on the move. However battalions would fit pretty well with Tellius. More then any other games the Tellius games show that there really is a war with massive amounts of soldiers going on. In earlier games we're  supposed to assume the rest of the army is around but that we just don't get to see them, while in the Tellius games they actually show up a lot. 

Battalions could be cool to see - especially if they add laguz batallions. Meg might not be scary now, but give her a pack of wolves to lead, and watch her tear the enemy to shreds!

9 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

However battalions would fit pretty well with Tellius. More then any other games the Tellius games show that there really is a war with massive amounts of soldiers going on. In earlier games we're  supposed to assume the rest of the army is around but that we just don't get to see them, while in the Tellius games they actually show up a lot. 

i mean you're technically right, but IMO battalions in 3H were handled extremely poorly and lazily, from a purely gameplay perspective
so yeah, unless they completely revamp how battalions work, i wouldn't like them at all

also, i could argue that since PoR and RD weren't made with battalions in mind, it would only result in an excessive and pointless amount of time and money spent in adjusting level design, balancing and a lot of other stuff, something i don't think too many people are really asking for
i would personally prefer for that money to be spend in adding support conversations in RD

Path of Radiance I think could do with a remake since there's a lot of tiny issues I have with the gameplay in that game and it still sucks to this day that the western release doesn't have the original highest difficulty level. Radiant Dawn doesn't need a remake at all though imo. If they were to release these games it'd also need to be as a bundle to maintain the save bonus transfers. I'm the kind of to buy basically every new Fire Emblem game released, but they'd really have to sell it hard for me to buy a standalone Radiant Dawn remake.

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Path of Radiance is great but Radiant Dawn isn't super great and could definitely use touching up

If anything, PoR is the one that needs touching up the most.

while not a massive fan of PoR, i still beat it and think it is a good FE game. but i dont know what to "remake" of PoR game. it needs many QoL improvement sure, but i dont think it need a massive overhaul or major changes like SoV. something like new mystery remake maybe

as for RD, i think re-releasing it is enough (for FE fans specifically since its overrated).

Edited by joevar

They don't remakes but just remasters since they're mostly fine.

FE9 definitely needs maniac mode or at least an improved hard mode since enemies suck in regular hard mode.

FE10 needs weapon triangle on hard mode and maybe addition of magical swords, axes and lances.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Absolutely disagree.

You might like PoR more, but as far as what changes a remaster might entail - upscaled graphics and general QoL improvements, but no major story or gameplay changes - PoR definitely needs more.

48 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

FE9 definitely needs maniac mode or at least an improved hard mode since enemies suck in regular hard mode.

FE10 needs weapon triangle on hard mode and maybe addition of magical swords, axes and lances.

My own wish would be establishing a unified weapon system between the games. Make it so each game has (mostly) the same weapons with the same stats. Why didn't Bronze Weapons and most Knives exist three years ago? And why did the magical weapons, and equippables like the Knight Ward, disappear?

And going further, class consistency in general. Why do laguz go from forced transformations that grant additive boosts, to optional transformations with multiplicative boosts? Why did Wyverns start out weak to bows, only to shrug 'em off later on? I'd really like to see some mechanical synthesis, to reiterate that, yes, these games are happening in the same world.

You guys are creepos. Refreshing somebody's comments in search of suspicious "hints". Being a leaker and being a fan are not mutually exclusive. She likes Radiant Dawn. That's it.

It's going to be so obnoxious when the "Thanibomb got it Wrong" threads come out when Fire Emblem Echoes of the Holy War gets announced. It's so predictable.