Nintendo indie world showcase 4/14/21

Zapp Branniglenn

How dare they not announce this ahead of time? These are the only Nintendo Directs I care about. We've got a new trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's revenge. Its developers are probably speaking french during work hours. But in the language I speak "Side scrolling beat em up" translates to "Day One Playthrough". Speaking of day one playthroughs. Getsu Fuma Den. No I did not just sneeze. We never got the Famicom original. But we should have. Maybe you've been jamming out to its remix in Smash Bros. I must know more. And finally there's a House of the Dead remake? How is the IR aiming on Switch anyway? House of the Dead was on the Wii, and it controlled like a dream. Easily making up for the fact that every House of the Dead arcade cabinet being out of order when I encounter them in real life. 

Edited by Glennstavos

31 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

How dare they not announce this ahead of time? These are the only Nintendo Directs I care about. 

It was actually announced yesterday on twitter.

Anyway, the direct was good! One of my friends was really hoping there would be information about Silksong, but unfortunately not. However, some of these games do seem pretty solid! I like the game they showed at the beginning, the artstyle was fantastic.

There wasn't all that much that really stood out for me. The only two that really caught my attention were Road 96 and Cris Tales, both of which seemed like they might be neat. I do wish that they focussed more on stuff that was closer to release, though. A lot of the time with the Indie Showcases, I see something that seems interesting, but then by the time it actually comes out, I've forgotten about it. Without the endless hype cycle of AAA marketing budgets, promoting anything that's more than about a month from release seems almost wasteful.

Surprise!

Spoiler

First we get a shot of a girl on a payphone in the desert, only for things to shift reality multiple times and reveal the one constant's this boy, or maybe not, because it's a bunch of random generation across multiple roads to.... well that's not really set either. A french team made this and I am not gonna lie, but the title is not doing it for me (Road 96). We'll see if this works out on release, but it's got moxie. Next up is a 2D runner, which has the guy running from seemingly everything called Aerial_Knight's Never Yield (1. What else has he done? 2. I just wish this was a different genre. 3. Detroit just keeps on getting screwed over in fiction), it does have a demo.

Next is a couple of games from Inner Permit. Last Stop apparently has people switching bodies and mechsuits, but the trailer's confusing frankly and I know nothing. Hindsight's a story of someone's life looking back to her past very vividly, but not much more than that. First one's July, then the other's later on. The next game's based around skating on a trip to the skate gods? It's a skate 2D platformer continuation of Ollie Ollie turns out, Ollie Ollie World. Including multiple paths I guess. Out in Winter apparently.

Then there's a German dev talking about the myth of the King under the Mountain and how his encounter of it inspired this game, The Longing. It's following the king's servant waiting 400 days for waking up the king and possibly exploring the place. Turns out it's literally 400 days in gameplay. What?! It's out today too. Next is There is No Game, which is a non-game? set of variety games. I guess, it is out today too. Then there's a new TMNT beat-em-up which I have to say the art is actually nice, good job Tribute Games, out at some point. Then we hear from Cristales from the first time in ages.  The game makes the point of it's time travel and it finally has a date of July 20th. I did get stuck with the boss of the demo, so I wasn't a fan.

Next is a 2D scrolling Rougelike (joy) with Japanses mythos, which isn't even out this year. Axtech: Forgotten Gods is a.... game that's for sure. Not sure if it's a boss rush, but some of the stuff we saw would make me think no, but it's very into it's Mayan/Aztec aesthetic but with futuristic stuff mixed in. Apparently it's about beating the gods (so GoW, but a woman with a massive gauntlet). It's out Autumn. Then we get another rougelike 2D, Skul. You're playing the guy fighting the heroes who looks like a cross between Sans and Hollow Knight to me. It's kinda hard to hell what you're getting up to for me because of the busy clips and it turns out it's actually playing Kirby by robbing other's heads.

Next is a montage of stuff including art of rally (indie Initial D?, summer), KeyWe (Kiwis platform I guess, August), Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective (Presumably 2D adventure in the most 2D sense, Spring, so soon right?), Weaving Tides (multiplayer shmup where you ride birds and manta rays?, May), House of the Dead Remake (This should not be indie, some point in 2021), ENDER LILLIES: Quietus of the Knights (Little girl in a rougelike it looks like, June 21st), Beasts of Maravilla Island (Indie Pokemon Snap I think?, June) and Fez (Wait, that's out only now? I guess so.)

They say farewells, but they reveal there's one more game, where there's a storm and you're focusing on radio frequencies in game (where it turns out to be Oxenfree II, out later in the year)

So. What the fuck is the Longing doing asking for 400 days worth of play?

Aside from that, Cristales has an uphill battle as I didn't dig the demo, Ollie Ollie having a continuation was a surprise, TMNT has certainly got the look going for it, Road 96 shows potential but should change the title imo, I hope the Aztec GoW works out too. No definite YES here, but I have to say I got some potentials here.

Edit: The sale includes Hades (20%) and Katana Zero (40%), link here to the US store

Edited by Dayni

No Silksong 0/10.

But really Ender Lilies is the only one that really caught my eye.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

So. What the fuck is the Longing doing asking for 400 days worth of play?

The clock ticks even when you're not playing. The game has been on Steam for over a year now.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

The clock ticks even when you're not playing. The game has been on Steam for over a year now.

Alright then, that's fine.

I just had to imagine that there was someone mad enough to ask people to play a ~9600 hour game.

Road 96 looks the most interesting to me. Maybe it's the idea of having so many possibilities in a single game that makes me excited. I'd expect it to be fairly replayable. I would also expect some kind of achievement where you get through all 148,268 routes.

art of rally also reminds me of #DRIVE on the Google Play store.