Choosing preferred gender for Byleth on Maddening mode

Barren

Choosing preferred gender for Byleth on Maddening mode  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which Byleth do you prefer to use for your maddening run?

• Male Byleth
    • Female Byleth

Which gender do you like to use for Byleth on any (or all) of the four routes when you attempt your maddening run? Feel free to state your reason as to why you prefer male over female and vice versa.

Edited by Barren

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use female just because I almost always choose the female option for player characters in games when they are available as that is more personally identifiable for me. In terms of game mechanics, I don't think there's that much difference. Falcon Knight and War Master are both good classes but neither one is so far better than any other choice that you're really missing out if you don't have access, and the free recruitment of Sylvain can be nice to have but it's not going to make a huge difference most of the time.

Male. It has nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with the female Byleth's design being an abomination of the highest order.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I went F!Byleth for Pegasus Knight (Also Falcon Knight I suppose) and instant Sylvain recruitment, nothing more.

If I were to go again, War Master is an option but there could also be a magical build to try and laugh at or a more support based build focusing on the authority skills.

I've used female cause OMG! They are all from sweet cute to very hot!  I want to marry each of them through many playthroughs. There's only 1 playthrough I choose to S support Rhea after I know Rhea story. She's really need a hug T_T

I've done a Maddening run for all but CF. Technically I've used M!Byleth for 2/3 of those runs, but F!Byleth is usually the better choice gameplay wise. I didn't care about Flier memeing on all of my runs so there's that.

28 minutes ago, Hasechi said:

I've used female cause OMG! They are all from sweet cute to very hot!  I want to marry each of them through many playthroughs. There's only 1 playthrough I choose to S support Rhea after I know Rhea story. She's really need a hug T_T

...Aaaand who are you referring to by "they"???

4 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

I've done a Maddening run for all but CF. Technically I've used M!Byleth for 2/3 of those runs, but F!Byleth is usually the better choice gameplay wise. I didn't care about Flier memeing on all of my runs so there's that.

Note that Sylvian instant join if you're female xd

Edited by Hasechi

20 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

...Aaaand who are you referring to by "they"???

Ok I sound a little like bisexual there . But any wrong with being bisexual. XD . "They" I said there meant "male charaters" in the game.

Edited by Hasechi

I usually use female because of personal preference and I'd obviously encourage anyone else to do whatever they personally prefer, too.

I do think it's got a slight advantage for gameplay, though. Not for falconknight or warmaster, but for pegasus knight: that class is much better than any other Intermediate class IMO. (And to top it off, Darting Blow is a good skill and free Sylvain is nice for non-Lions runs. Even if you don't plan to use him much, getting the Lance of Ruin in Chapter 6 without needing to waste valuable earlygame time units building Sylvain's support rank and/or Byleth's Reason is good.)

1 hour ago, Hasechi said:

Note that Sylvian instant join if you're female xd

Not that the game mentions this, given that another character is rather flirtatious, yet you can't instantly recruit him just because you're a girl.

1 hour ago, Hasechi said:

Ok I sound a little like bisexual there . But any wrong with being bisexual. XD . "They" I said there meant "male charaters" in the game.

Okay. I don't feel that way about the male characters in this game; in fact, this game's MUCH closer to Fates (where the only male characters I would give the time of day were for their performance as units) than Awakening (which actually had males that were worth marrying).

I personally don't play on Maddening because I feel like it forces a lot of extra grinding and makes battles longer/more tedious, but I always choose female Byleth no matter the route/difficulty. Pegasus/Falcon access, Darting Blow and free Sylvain are too good to pass up, plus I almost always prefer a woman as the protagonist. Certainly helps too that I find male Byleth's design ugly as hell, dude looks like he's got a stick up his ass lol

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Not that the game mentions this, given that another character is rather flirtatious, yet you can't instantly recruit him just because you're a girl.

Cause you're not a noble.

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Okay. I don't feel that way about the male characters in this game; in fact, this game's MUCH closer to Fates (where the only male characters I would give the time of day were for their performance as units) than Awakening (which actually had males that were worth marrying).

I see. FE Fates support is really meh. 

I do think female Byleth is better because Pegasus knight is a great intermediate class and gives darting blow. Having more fliers earlier is nice.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Alright let’s see who we got here in Three Houses, the traumatized one, the traumatized one, the traumatized one and the traumatized one.

Oh.

In the one maddening mode run I have done, I chose male Byleth. While female Byleth has peg knight access, I find that enemies on maddening are so fast and have such high AS that darting blow wasn't worth it and having access to war master was better overall than peg/falcon knight. Also I was playing Blue Lions so I didn't have to worry about recruiting Sylvain early for Lance of Ruin at Ch. 5.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Alright let’s see who we got here in Three Houses, the traumatized one, the traumatized one, the traumatized one and the traumatized one.

Oh.

What are you getting at?

3 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

I personally don't play on Maddening because I feel like it forces a lot of extra grinding and makes battles longer/more tedious, but I always choose female Byleth no matter the route/difficulty. Pegasus/Falcon access, Darting Blow and free Sylvain are too good to pass up, plus I almost always prefer a woman as the protagonist. Certainly helps too that I find male Byleth's design ugly as hell, dude looks like he's got a stick up his ass lol

I hard disagree - male Byleth at least looks like a respectable authority figure, whereas the female looks more like someone who has no business being a teacher. And this is coming from someone who generally prefers a female protagonist. Sadly, RF4, this is not (as in, one of the few relationship-heavy games where I'm actually okay with a female protagonist).

23 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

What are you getting at?

I feel like Three Houses has deeper characters than Fates but in retrospect that post doesn’t really say that so that’s on me. I feel like its characters incorporate their gimmicky things into their characters better instead of being their characters, if that makes sense. Trauma is one of the ways they do that, but I should have included something about Fates other than the quote.

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I usually use female because of personal preference and I'd obviously encourage anyone else to do whatever they personally prefer, too.

I do think it's got a slight advantage for gameplay, though. Not for falconknight or warmaster, but for pegasus knight: that class is much better than any other Intermediate class IMO. (And to top it off, Darting Blow is a good skill and free Sylvain is nice for non-Lions runs. Even if you don't plan to use him much, getting the Lance of Ruin in Chapter 6 without needing to waste valuable earlygame time units building Sylvain's support rank and/or Byleth's Reason is good.)

Pegasus Knight is good, but it has the standard flier problems of not wanting to have too many of them, and there are plenty of other units who benefit from it as well. At the very least, you'll have one of Petra, Ingrid and Leonie, and it's also a good choice for Bernadetta, Manuela and Hilda as well as an off-beat but reasonable choice for several others. Byleth also has a harder time training flying than other characters, needing to use either faculty training or seminars. So while I can see the argument for Pegasus Knight if you're trying to maximise Byleth, I think in terms of the overall power of the complete army that any gains are marginal at best.

55 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I hard disagree - male Byleth at least looks like a respectable authority figure, whereas the female looks more like someone who has no business being a teacher. And this is coming from someone who generally prefers a female protagonist. Sadly, RF4, this is not (as in, one of the few relationship-heavy games where I'm actually okay with a female protagonist).

Different strokes, my dude. Female Byleth's outfit, while obviously impractical, doesn't bother me. Nearly everything about male Byleth's design does: the hair, the scowl (Byleth's supposed to have no emotions wtf), the black clothes with the bloody red pentagram thing on his chest... I could go on. Clearly it's the other way around for you, and that's perfectly fine. Not sure why you have to post your disagreement when we've already had this discussion before.

I'd pick female Byleth purely because I think male Byleth's design is terrible. 

Yeah female Byleth dresses like a hooker but I think that's charming in an extremely dumb sort of way. Meanwhile I don't think there's even a single trace of charm in male Byleth's designs at all. Being goofy and more cute looking isn't the best reason to favor one version of a character over another, but considering Byleth is such a non entity such little things are really the only ways we can judge them on. Female Byleth is a boring character who at least manages to look goofy. Male Byleth is a boring character who also looks incredibly boring. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 hours ago, lenticular said:

Pegasus Knight is good, but it has the standard flier problems of not wanting to have too many of them, and there are plenty of other units who benefit from it as well. At the very least, you'll have one of Petra, Ingrid and Leonie, and it's also a good choice for Bernadetta, Manuela and Hilda as well as an off-beat but reasonable choice for several others. Byleth also has a harder time training flying than other characters, needing to use either faculty training or seminars. So while I can see the argument for Pegasus Knight if you're trying to maximise Byleth, I think in terms of the overall power of the complete army that any gains are marginal at best.

Plus Edelgard or Catherine but... well, even if you have a lot of pegasus knight candidates, you usually don't have everyone in the class at once, because you also want to master other Intermediate classes like Brigand (and maybe Archer? I rarely bother but I know some people do). So your characters can take turns. And then once Chapter 8 hits you have 3 flying battalions + potentially Galatea as a fourth.

Getting the needed flying for pegasus is pretty easy, just a D rank which is just 4-5 tutoring sessions by the time you want to be in the class. As a bonus it lets you (on non-Lions runs) recruit Ingrid with no further effort, which is desirable because her paralogue has great rewards. It's actually another little advantage female Byleth has (male Byleth probably needs to go to at least D+ via faculty training, since the first flying class he can get is Wyvern Rider).