What death animations would you like to see in the next mainline or remake FE?

ciphertul

The death animations have been changing over the decades, with the old fashion blinking fade out becoming the collapse to the knees in Tellius to the power rangers stunt doubles in Awakening and finally to the stagger face plant of 3H. Now assuming the next entry is a 3D game which animation would you like it to have?

I personally would like to see one similar to Fates but with varieties, getting killed with an attack that deals 1 damage shouldn’t throw the enemy like they just got blown up. In the same vein I don’t think an enemy taking a high damage hit should just stagger and fall.

Edited by ciphertul

i just want variety and dynamic death animation. that should be enough. 

more than that would be attack specific death animation. for example getting hit by meteor would make them at least die while burning/almost turn to ash (turn into actual ash would make it 18+, which i dont see it happening at all). but then it would require too much work.

either way, FE sorely need more animation, since its a game that emphasizes each unit is different

Edited by joevar

While it sadly will never happen, I have a soft-spot for the "anime throat slash" death style (Such as in MGS2), I'd still like it if it was just "grabbing throat and falling to the ground" with no blood but I still doubt FE would do that.

Characters flailing around set on fire for a few seconds before collapsing.

Taking a Ballista Bolt or any other "High impact" strike that's fatal resulting in a back flip.  (and maybe for regular attacks if it's a crit/extremely high damage.)

I don't think lethal poison death animations are in any game so a unique "getting dizzy and trying to stand but ultimately collapsing as strength leaves them" animation would be cool. (also pls let us use poison, please.)

Just now, Hasechi said:

@Samz707 "Nintendo is for kids" (except Camilla)

It's more FE seems to be straying away from Blood and gore. 

Celica bled white blood for some reason in the Echoes intro. (though they had Rudolf bleed Red blood in his death scene for some reason.)

FE seems to dislike blood and gore but love tits.

The enemy saying "WOAH!" and turning into a cartoonish angel that slowly flaps its wings towards the heavens. A la the original Crash Bandicoot games.

Real talk, though - what if spell animations played out differently if they were lethal? Like, a dark magic spell could drag the target into the ground, never to be seen again. A fire spell engulfs them, and leaves only a pile of ash in its wake. A wind spell blows them offscreen entirely!

11 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I was thinking 5 minute long Shakespearian death monologues would really do the trick.

We all know that's the one thing keeping Brigand boss from greatness.

Since Dimitri has super-strength, maybe it'd be cool that if he killed someone with a lance, he'd actually impale them on it and maybe even lift them into the air a bit with thrust that's pointing upwards.

A choking to death animation for Misama. (Basically honestly just unique death animations for spells in general since I think they all just have people die normally I think in any game they're in rather than any sort of unique animation due to the effect of the spell.

Well this became a lot more brutal then I was expecting. Seems like everyone want For Honor style executions or mortal kombat fatalities.

Edited by ciphertul

11 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Well this became a lot more brutal then I was expecting. Seems like everyone want For Honor style executions or mortal kombat fatalities.

You underestimated how blood thirsty we are.

If I kill a dude with evil black magic gas, I wanna see him actually choke on it and not just fly back like he got beaten down.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, ciphertul said:

Fire emblem has always been about War with murders and slaughter, duh. how can it be not brutal. unless FE characters is actually doing some sort of large scale sports tournament where they knock people till they faint instead of killing

but using MK as comparison is a little bit too far tho, because its intentionally brutal, while kill or be killed in war naturally happen

Top 5: 

*Sigurd - and all the army barbecued by Arvis

* Deirdre - ....

*Lyn's father  - and possibly her mother's death, when Lyn needs to lead to tribe but they leave her 

* The Kutolah clan massacre when Sue is separated from them

- Hector's death 

PS: I thought it was about scenes I'd like to see on screen. Well, I don't think the games would show any graphic death. The scenes would be just the context and pure dialogue, with some lights behind and a character holding another, to show they are dying "magically"

Edited by Mylady

On 4/20/2021 at 2:12 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

I was thinking 5 minute long Shakespearian death monologues would really do the trick.

YES!  Do this for generic enemies, too, with every dialogue being unique.  While they're humanizing themselves, have them slowly fade away.

Oh, and no option to turn this off.  If our armies are going to take lives, we are going to understand the horror we're inflicting!

18 minutes ago, eclipse said:

YES!  Do this for generic enemies, too, with every dialogue being unique.  While they're humanizing themselves, have them slowly fade away.

Oh, and no option to turn this off.  If our armies are going to take lives, we are going to understand the horror we're inflicting!

"Why is your playtime 500 hours? How many times did you beat this game?"

"Well, umm, about that..."

Something weird that just popped into my head is: Ragdoll physics for the next engine. Unless the series becomes more like Yakuza and adds an action fighting minigame, the battle animation engine doesn't matter too much, so I don't think it'd interfere too much. It can scale off of damage done, so a killer axe Berserker can send enemies flying offscreen!