Would you like to see the Capture/Kidnap mechanic from Fate return?

ciphertul

I don't know the capturing mechanic from Fates - at least never had the opportunity to use it practically - but I'd love to see the capturing mechanic from Thracia 776 back. It's the most fun way to exploit the opponent and honestly the best mechanic in the entire series for me. Its existence was the main reason I loved this game.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

On 4/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, Hasechi said:

In Thracia Russia, enemies capture you!

Shouldn't it be "Soviet Thracia"?

On 4/21/2021 at 10:19 AM, Mattos313 said:

Would kind of like to see them flesh Capturing out properly in future games in order to make sparing and imprisoning enemies a core mechanic of the game (Maybe even keeping them as hostages or selling them back home for money, though I'm not sure if Fire Emblem would go that far).

On 4/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, Samz707 said:

If they do, it would be interesting if they account for capturing specific units again.

While I don't think Fire Emblem has the guts to let you ransom people for money, I do think it would be a cool mechanic. If you combine that with the ability to take weapons and items from captured enemies, it would add some lovely new dimensions to the game's resource management.

On 4/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, X-Naut said:

If I have a complaint to make about Fates capture, it's that it's too easy: the only penalty is lol -10 hit that can easily be made up, and captured units go directly to the PC unless your box is full.

Doesn't it also prevent you from getting Attack Stance and the associated support bonuses?

On 4/21/2021 at 6:52 PM, Shadow Mir said:

It's not about capture itself so much as it is about the quality of the units it's tied to. Capture should not be the sole redeeming feature a bad unit has.

Perhaps, but that's more a complaint about Niles and Orochi than capture itself.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, Imuabicus said:

How about a variation of the Thief promotion? Instead of getting a Trickster, who does dodgy magic stuff you get a... Kidnapper? Or a Slaver? Then again, that may be too dark for FE to integrate as an actual class.

A promotion of the thief having capture would work fine, although the name "Slaver" would be a definite no-no. If capture is tied to class, then brigands, pirates, and their promotions should also have access to the capture skill. I mean, c'mon. It's a perfectly piratey thing do ransom someone for booty.

So yeah, the above responses probably give a good picture of my opinion on capture. I think it's pretty cool, I like the idea of recruiting generic enemies into your army. Makes things feel a little more dynamic, y'know? That's in addition to giving the player a little more expediency over their ability to be a merciful dictator, and probably being the only way we'll see recruitable enemies as a proper mechanic in the series for the immediate future.

That said, I'm fine having to capture certain characters to recruit them, as in Thracia. I think the mechanic should be more widely available, although it doesn't have to be universal. It could be tied to certain classes, multiple characters could have capture, said characters could capture enemies under different conditions, that'd all be very cool. Take their weapons to use or sell, and potentially ransoming them off for further profit. It would be kind of neat if you could see an enemy's social status at some point- higher status enemies would be worth more gold, but would also have certain benefits over the rabble. I'm not exactly sure what benefits, but it would prevent it from making it so you sell all the rich and recruit all the poor.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

15 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

That said, I'm fine having to capture certain characters to recruit them, as in Thracia. I think the mechanic should be more widely available, although it doesn't have to be universal. It could be tied to certain classes, multiple characters could have capture, said characters could capture enemies under different conditions, that'd all be very cool. Take their weapons to use or sell, and potentially ransoming them off for further profit. It would be kind of neat if you could see an enemy's social status at some point- higher status enemies would be worth more gold, but would also have certain benefits over the rabble. I'm not exactly sure what benefits, but it would prevent it from making it so you sell all the rich and recruit all the poor.

Maybe this social status could be associated with having certain Skills? Or even a Crest or Holy Blood, if the game wants to go in that direction?

16 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Doesn't it also prevent you from getting Attack Stance and the associated support bonuses?

Pretty sure this happens, yeah.

17 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Shouldn't it be "Soviet Thracia"?

It is. But Thracia Russia sound more ...(idk the right word to use here). Because there is "ia" at the end in both Thracia & Russia 

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

While I don't think Fire Emblem has the guts to let you ransom people for money, I do think it would be a cool mechanic. If you combine that with the ability to take weapons and items from captured enemies, it would add some lovely new dimensions to the game's resource management.

Kaga had the guts to do it in Berwick Saga, so who knows.

12 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Maybe this social status could be associated with having certain Skills? Or even a Crest or Holy Blood, if the game wants to go in that direction?

I had considered Holy Blood, though I'm not really a fan of using it as a metaphor or explanation for class differences. However, having capturable units with given bloodlines could give Holy Blood some actual meaningful use as a mechanic in a game without eugenics. Or, if it does have eugenics...

12 hours ago, Hasechi said:
It is. But Thracia Russia sound more ...(idk the right word to use here). Because there is "ia" at the end in both Thracia & Russia 

Right, but it also sounds more wrong, since it's noun-noun instead of adjective-noun. The fact that they near-rhyme just makes it worse.

9 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Kaga had the guts to do it in Berwick Saga, so who knows.

Kaga also let you partake in the slave trade so I'm not sure he should be our standard for what IS will do in the future.

13 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

A promotion of the thief having capture would work fine, although the name "Slaver" would be a definite no-no. If capture is tied to class, then brigands, pirates, and their promotions should also have access to the capture skill. I mean, c'mon. It's a perfectly piratey thing do ransom someone for booty.

Instead of Footies they could be mounted units - the turkish/ottoman Akinci come to mind.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Right, but it also sounds more wrong, since it's noun-noun instead of adjective-noun. The fact that they near-rhyme just makes it worse.

I see thanks! xD

Edited by Hasechi

3 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Instead of Footies they could be mounted units - the turkish/ottoman Akinci come to mind.

Hm, more Turks sounds like a good addition to Fire Emblem. Brigands, thieves, and Akinci. A diverse roster of classes which all carry the ability to enslave your foes. Now we just need to add an aristocrat caste of religious converts and give them primitive firearms.

The question then becomes if you can capture and sell horses, pegasi, etc.

1 hour ago, Hasechi said:
I see thanks! xD

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.dreamstime.com%2Fz%2Fcasual-man-laptop-showing-thumbs-up-bald-isolated-over-white-49780887.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:45 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Eh, that is fair enough. I still found Niles a good combat unit on Conquest - he has some of the highest Speed and Res in your army. But that debate is not the point of the thread.

I've said it no shortage of times already, but I find it hard to get any long-term use out of Niles. His anemic attack power (on both ends of the scale, mind you) ensures that having him attack anything that's not a mage or flier is more like Mr. Satan attacking Cell. It doesn't help that the other issues with capture still remain. Also, I'm bothered by the fact that most of the capturable bosses are criminals and thugs. It's like "Are you fucking kidding me? All you're doing is setting yourself up to be double-crossed".

On 4/27/2021 at 11:23 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Perhaps, but that's more a complaint about Niles and Orochi than capture itself.

Well, you're not wrong.  But even if Niles and Orochi weren't utterly lackluster, it'd still be all but useless, considering that for the most part, what I stand to gain by using capture is worse versions of units I already have.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 2 weeks later...