The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Releasing July 27th!

Michelaar

After years of waiting, The Great Ace Attorney will finally be released outside of Japan on PS4, Nintendo Switch and Steam! The game will contain both The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2, AND lots of bonus content, as well as an art Gallery, a place to view Music, including some bonus music if you order the game early! There is also a story mode, where the game plays itself, so you can view the story without having to do anything yourself! The official weapon has more details, the link is here: https://www.ace-attorney.com/great1-2/

What do you guys think? Will you be getting the game? I for one certainly will, and I will have my eye out for when pre-orders begin!

It's nice that they included a Game Journalist Story mode, now the fine people over at IGN have no excuse to not to finish the game. Also, I'd say that this was a pleasant surprise, but this had leaked ages ago.

EDIT: BLOODY HELL! The physical edition isn't available in Europe!

Edited by NinjaMonkey

as long as it gets an official italian localisation (which the trilogy on Switch for some definitely stupid reason lacks, despite the first 3 games having already been localised in italian back in the days), i'm surely gonna get it in the future

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It's nice that they included a Game Journalist Story mode, now the fine people over at IGN have no excuse to not to finish the game. Also, I'd say that this was a pleasant surprise, but this had leaked ages ago.

EDIT: BLOODY HELL! The physical edition isn't available in Europe!

I don't think its been available for Europe since Dual destiny. But yes, bloody hell Capcom. 

I'm kinda curious what they are going to do regarding the localisation. In the original version the big deal was that this main character is actually the ancestor of Phoenix Wright. Given how the trailer say it ''runs in the family'' that's going to be the case here too. This make sense in the Japanese versions because there the story had always taken place in Japan. 

But in the Western versions Ace Attorney takes place in America. The American state of Japanifornia to be exact. And Phoenix really isn't implied to be descended from Japanese immigrants like certain other characters considering he tends to react confused about the more Japanese aspects of Japanifornia. The western version of Phoenix is American with nothing suggesting he had an Asian great grandfather hidden away somewhere.  Then again there was absolutely nothing implying Apollo had an Asian friendly neighborhood revolutionary as a dad either. 

Yes!!!! I am excited about this. Now all of games I was expecting to need a 3ds translation patch to play somehow actually made it to the west. Also random side note, but its fun to see the multiple witnesses mechanics from Professor Layton Vs Pheonix Wright being a part of this game...

Nice, I've been wanting a new AA game for some time now and now we get two. This should also mean that we'll get the next main game announced this year. Herlock Sholmes hype.

12 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm kinda curious what they are going to do regarding the localisation. In the original version the big deal was that this main character is actually the ancestor of Phoenix Wright. Given how the trailer say it ''runs in the family'' that's going to be the case here too. This make sense in the Japanese versions because there the story had always taken place in Japan. 

But in the Western versions Ace Attorney takes place in America. The American state of Japanifornia to be exact. And Phoenix really isn't implied to be descended from Japanese immigrants like certain other characters considering he tends to react confused about the more Japanese aspects of Japanifornia. The western version of Phoenix is American with nothing suggesting he had an Asian great grandfather hidden away somewhere.  Then again there was absolutely nothing implying Apollo had an Asian friendly neighborhood revolutionary as a dad either. 

It shouldn't be too weird. Phoenix's backstory is never discussed in detail anyway and him having a Japanese ancestor doesn't mean he needs to know anything about Japanese culture. If they do acknowledge it, they could just say that one of Ryunosuke's descendants moved to America at some point.

58 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

For Copyright reasons they can't use the name Sherlock Homes. 

So now he's named Herlock Sholmes! I find that just adorable. 

A majority of the Holmes books actually left copyright, so technically the character is in the public domain, and they could have called him that if they wanted, but the Doyle Estate is notorious for filing spurious lawsuits, and legal threats knowing how expensive copyright lawsuits are...

It's great and all, but Investigations 2 when?

On 4/21/2021 at 8:43 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Definitely looking forward to this one! Great to see it finally make its way out of Japan. Also, this might be the push I need to actually play Spirit of Justice.

Spirit of Justice is actually really good. I wouldn't hesitate to call it the best Ace Attorney game since Trials and Tribulations.

Edited by Jotari

I'm so freaking excited for this. Heck, this game is THE reason I started learning Japanese to begin with, so yeah, I'm more than hyped for this game to get an official localization.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, Lightchao42 said:

It shouldn't be too weird. Phoenix's backstory is never discussed in detail anyway and him having a Japanese ancestor doesn't mean he needs to know anything about Japanese culture. If they do acknowledge it, they could just say that one of Ryunosuke's descendants moved to America at some point.

I kinda expected for that specific plot point to be entirely rewritten or even ignored but I'm glad they just kept it in as is and the explanation you give definitely makes sense.

As another thing I forgot to mention, I appreciate that the games have a British dub. I like my usual anime voice actors but it's always nice to get some variety plus, it gives the opportunity to hear some Xenoblade voice actors again.

35 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I kinda expected for that specific plot point to be entirely rewritten or even ignored but I'm glad they just kept it in as is and the explanation you give definitely makes sense.

If the writers make a reference to Phoenix and Ryunosuke's relationship in the next game, they can have Phoenix say he recently learned that he had a Japanese ancestor who was a lawyer and Maya/Trucy/Athena/whoever can joke that bluffing must run in the family. SoJ had a similar reference to the Investigations games when Phoenix says he heard that Edgeworth presented his badge a lot during his investigations.

Though Phoenix mentioned Sherlock Holmes in the first game, so is Holmes a fictionalized version of Herlock Sholmes in the AA universe?

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

As another thing I forgot to mention, I appreciate that the games have a British dub. I like my usual anime voice actors but it's always nice to get some variety plus, it gives the opportunity to hear some Xenoblade voice actors again.

Not only that, from what I could find, Ryunosuke, Susato and Asogi all have Japanese voice actors as well. I quite like that.

About Sherlock Holmes and the whole copyright fiasco. While it's true Sherlock Holmes is pretty much public domain everywhere, the same doesn't go for his stories. The Conan Doyle Estate is notoriously strict with their copyright and has actually been sued for it before. To kind of 'get around' the public domain of Sherlock Holmes's name, they consider some of his traits that are characterized in his stories that are still under copyright, not public domain yet. The main thing is Sherlock Holmes's friendly nature, which wasn't really explored much in earlier novels as far as I am aware. Basically, it's a very slippery slope and they are better off just renaming the character entirely, hence Herlock Sholmes.

Edited by Michelaar

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

Not only that, from what I could find, Ryunosuke, Susato and Asogi all have Japanese voice actors as well. I quite like that.

About Sherlock Holmes and the whole copyright fiasco. While it's true Sherlock Holmes is pretty much public domain everywhere, the same doesn't go for his stories. The Conan Doyle Estate is notoriously strict with their copyright and has actually been sued for it before. To kind of 'get around' the public domain of Sherlock Holmes's name, they consider some of his traits that are characterized in his stories that are still under copyright, not public domain yet. The main thing is Sherlock Holmes's friendly nature, which wasn't really explored much in earlier novels as far as I am aware. Basically, it's a very slippery slope and they are better off just renaming the character entirely, hence Herlock Sholmes.

In addition punny names have always been part of the bread and butter of Ace Attorney as a franchise. So even removing copyright from the equation completely, I could still see them doing this just to make the character more amusing and distinctive.

So excited! I am a Big Ace Attorney fan, so I am definitely picking up a pre-order, especially since I love Ace Attorney artwork. I have been waiting for this game to come out for years, and I have to say, I love the localization choices of having a British/Japanese accents and keeping the names the same.