When do I promote my units in fe4

Tusk

I've attempted a few runs of Genealogy, but I have always chicken out around chapter 2 because Noish and Alec start to fall off a bit, and since I am racing to protect Lachesis and fight bandits I feel like I feel like the slight jump in difficulty is a bit much for me.

Should I promote my cavaliers as soon as possible. I usually promote around level 15 in the other games.

Edited by Tusk
i originally put the wrong chapter

Promotion is only possible starting with level 20.

There is also no need to delay it beyond that since the level doesn't reset. Though you do have to promote back at the home castle, which could be impractical in the middle of a chapter.

Edited by BrightBow

7 hours ago, Tusk said:

I've attempted a few runs of Genealogy, but I have always chicken out around chapter 3 because Noish and Alec start to fall off a bit, and since I am racing to protect Lachesis and fight bandits I feel like I feel like the slight jump in difficulty is a bit much for me.

Should I promote my cavaliers as soon as possible. I usually promote around level 15 in the other games.

That's chapter 2. It's the 3rd chapter, because prologue, but it's chapter 2.

21 hours ago, Tusk said:

Yes, you should promote them ASAP. But no, you can't promote them at 15. Level don't reset upon promotion and every character can go up to Level 30. Promotion is only available once they hit level 20.

And don't worry about Alec and Noish falling off. They always do. They're only good for the prologue tbh. I always struggle to get them promoted, despite them having the best availability for Gen 1.

I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on training them and just left them in the castle. It's possible for them to turn out good, but only if you think it's worth favoring them over others.

20 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

And don't worry about Alec and Noish falling off. They always do. They're only good for the prologue tbh. I always struggle to get them promoted, despite them having the best availability for Gen 1.

I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on training them and just left them in the castle. It's possible for them to turn out good, but only if you think it's worth favoring them over others.

usually it depends on wich items/skills can be passed down to children, in case someone is planning to have them as parents. they both have their pros and cons, but there's always items that can help to fix their issues.

back on topic:

On 4/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, Tusk said:

I have always chicken out around chapter 2 because Noish and Alec start to fall off a bit, and since I am racing to protect Lachesis and fight bandits I feel like I feel like the slight jump in difficulty is a bit much for me.

it's always better to go for the arenas at the start of a new chapter, because even if you don't manage to complete all rounds, you can still get some exp and money out of them(unless your unit is really bad). if you also manage to swap gear around units, and play with the weapon triangle a bit, you'll eventually be able to promote some units earlier than expected.

as alternative, you could send the weakest units to deal with bandits going for villages. it's not as profitable as doing arenas, but it's better than nothing.