For Kirby's 30th Anniversary What Do You Expect?

MisterIceTeaPeach

Kirby's 30th Anniversary  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Of Which Classic Kirby Game(s) You Do Want A Remaster For Switch?

• Dreamland 1
    • Dreamland 2
    • 64 The Crystal Shards
    • Amazing Mirror (if this counts as a classic title)
    • Superstar Ultra
    • Return To Dreamland / Adventure Wii
    • Triple Deluxe
    • Planet Robobot
    • Nightmare In Dreamland
  2. 2. Of Which Classic Kirby Game(s) Do You Expect A Remaster?

• Dreamland 1
    • Dreamland 2
    • 64 The Crystal Shards
    • Amazing Mirror (if this counts as a classic title)
    • Superstar Ultra
    • Return To Dreamland / Adventure Wii
    • Triple Deluxe
    • Planet Robobot
    • Nightmare In Dreamland

Kirby will turn 30 next year. I know it's a bit early, but we can already make our thoughts what HAL is going to give us and release for this event. I expect something similar to Mario's 35th birthday last year that a few past games will be remastered for the Switch. I think the best candidates are:

• Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
  • Kirby's Return To Dreamland
  • Kirby's Air Ride

If games will be remastered I'm highly sure 64 will be one of them since it's pretty much the pendant to Mario 64. The first kinda Kirby 3D, to be honest 2.25 D game. Many new fans don't have a Nintendo 64, so it'd be only fair to give them a chance to play this game on a more recent console.

Kirby's Return To Dreamland is the first game of the new - and still today most recent era. Objectively it's the best classic Kirby game, not only because of the 4 player mode. If this gets a remaster, there would be the opportunity to add an online mode. It was already a missed opportunity Star Allies didn't have that.

Air Ride was pretty much a filler pick to have as many titles as Mario got last year. It's not a classic title, but it's pretty popular and another title hard to be purchased for new Kirby fans today. For being a Gamecube game it would be the pendant to Mario Sunshine, so identical to Mario's 35th a N64, Gamecube and Wii game would be remastered.

Aside of games I hope for more merchandise will be added like relasing dolls or figures of the Mage Sisters, Hyness and Elline.

Honestly I'm quite excited for this already.

You can post what you hope and expect from this anniversary.

Edit: I made two polls. Some classic games like Dreamland 3 aren't mentioned since they technically exist already in Nintendo Switch Online.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Easy pick for me - Nightmare in Dreamland. Which, yeah, it's a remake of "Kirby's Adventure", but they changed a decent amount for it. Aside from graphical and sound updates, there's the addition of Meta Knightmare, plus the minigames. I think a remaster for Switch, with further refined audio/visual, boosted difficulty modes, and access to local/online multiplayer, would be an excellent budget (say, $20) product.

15 hours ago, Hasechi said:

Kirby:Dancing All Night

In fact, I could see the Kirby universe lending itself more to a cooking game, along the lines of "Overcooked".

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I expect that it will get as much attention as Metroid's anniversary, i.e. none at all.

LOL probably.

15 hours ago, Zan Partizanne said:

If games will be remastered I'm highly sure 64 will be one of them since it's pretty much the pendant to Mario 64. The first kinda Kirby 3D, to be honest 2.25 D game. Many new fans don't have a Nintendo 64, so it'd be only fair to give them a chance to play this game on a more recent console.

The thing is, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards never made nearly the impact - on the console, the culture, or its own series - that Super Mario 64 did. It came late in the N64's life, and didn't sell especially well. I'm not by any means opposed to it receiving a remake, but I hardly see it as the sort of "sales slam dunk" that "Super Mario 64 but on Switch" was.

15 hours ago, Zan Partizanne said:

Air Ride was pretty much a filler pick to have as many titles as Mario got last year. It's not a classic title, but it's pretty popular and another title hard to be purchased for new Kirby fans today. For being a Gamecube game it would be the pendant to Mario Sunshine, so identical to Mario's 35th a N64, Gamecube and Wii game would be remastered.

Hear me out - Kirby: Air Ride 30. It would be City Trial from Air Ride, but with up to 30 different players at once. I'm thinking City Trial would work perfectly for the "battle royale" model. If you or your kart takes too much damage, you're disqualified. Once only 10 remain, they get taken to a "final challenge", where they compete for first. Each player going in can propose one challenge (i.e. a certain race track, or particular technical challenge), and the more times you play, the more challenges you can pick from. The game itself would be free (and available indefinitely, like Tetris 99), but for a charge, you can get access to Races and City Trial in single-player and local-multiplayer formats.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I couldn't answer the poll, because my two most desired ones weren't listed there.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Edit

That 20th anniversary collection for Wii was pretty great I remember. There was some expectation of a 25th collection but you know, 2017 came and went. That's why you never count on these sorts of releases. Mario's however many years old and we only got his second anniversary compilation last year. Come to think of it, That SNES All Stars was rereleased on Wii with zero additions. Maybe they'll port Kirby's 20th anniversary release to switch. I wouldn't mind, there's good stuff in there.

I think a lot of kirby games are pretty accessible, especially if you've got a 3DS and Wii U lying around. That's almost every kirby game that has ever released on those two systems. Kirby Air ride is probably the biggest headache to acquire. Though I worry a port of that will make people realize that Kirby Air Ride wasn't that hot of a game. 

We definitely seem overdue for a new mainline kirby game. But I wouldn't mind more spinoffs. I keep trying to sell my friend on a Metaknight game that plays like Devil May Cry. Because that's not only a good idea in its own right, but Kirby is a series that has its hands in the honey pot of every game genre. Time for a character action game.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Easy pick for me - Nightmare in Dreamland. Which, yeah, it's a remake of "Kirby's Adventure", but they changed a decent amount for it. Aside from graphical and sound updates, there's the addition of Meta Knightmare, plus the minigames. I think a remaster for Switch, with further refined audio/visual, boosted difficulty modes, and access to local/online multiplayer, would be an excellent budget (say, $20) product.

I guess that's what you would have picked, added it to the poll.

I left it out since the original game is available in Switch Online although I agree that the remake is definitely worth to get a mention because of the extra Meta Knight mode.

The thing is, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards never made nearly the impact - on the console, the culture, or its own series - that Super Mario 64 did. It came late in the N64's life, and didn't sell especially well. I'm not by any means opposed to it receiving a remake, but I hardly see it as the sort of "sales slam dunk" that "Super Mario 64 but on Switch" was.

Kirby games usually come out late of a console's lifetime like Kirby's Adventure or Return To Dreamland (which was originally planned for Gamecube), so this explains the poor sale rate a bit. Still I think 64 is a really popular game especially since it's the only game in the series which has a double ability.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

That 20th anniversary collection for Wii was pretty great I remember. There was some expectation of a 25th collection but you know, 2017 came and went. That's why you never count on these sorts of releases. Mario's however many years old and we only got his second anniversary compilation last year. Come to think of it, That SNES All Stars was rereleased on Wii with zero additions. Maybe they'll port Kirby's 20th anniversary release to switch. I wouldn't mind, there's good stuff in there.

I can't exactly remember the content of the Dream Collection for the 20th anniversary aside of Return To Dreamland stuff (more challenge stages and race against Magolor) and obtainable soundtrack.

I think a lot of kirby games are pretty accessible, especially if you've got a 3DS and Wii U lying around.

Same here, all consoles since Wii are still easy to obtain, so I don't see a point making them get a Switch port. Maybe Rainbow could get one since the Wii U wasn't the most popular console. However the demand of this game was rather poor iirc.

We definitely seem overdue for a new mainline kirby game. But I wouldn't mind more spinoffs. I keep trying to sell my friend on a Metaknight game that plays like Devil May Cry. Because that's not only a good idea in its own right, but Kirby is a series that has its hands in the honey pot of every game genre. Time for a character action game.

I have no idea what the next Kirby game could be. I mean each console pretty much has only one classic Kirby game (except for the 3DS which has two). I'd probably expect a 3D Kirby game, if the Switch should get another classic part.

Here are some ideas:

A new Kirby game centering around Kirby's birthday. Kirby's friends have gathered to throw a party for him out of thanks for everything he's done for Dreamland and beyond, but some old "friends" crash the party and put Dreamland in danger once again. Making matters worse, Kirby's friends have been brainwashed, forcing him to fight them in order to free them from the villains' control! Kirby sets out to save his friends and stop the villains, hopefully in time to get back and have cake! Essentially, this would be Star Allies 2, but with an Anniversary theme and more story relevance given to Kirby's Dream Friends.

Kirby's New Air Ride, which features a vastly expanded range of playable characters. You can mix-and-match Riders and Air Rides. Each Rider has their own special ability or abilities; Kirby can of course copy powers from enemies, King Dedede can send opponents flying with his Hammer, Meta Knight slices and dices with his sword and soars through the air with his wings, Adeleine can splatter paint all over to blind opponents and make them slippery, etc. City Trial is expanded to Trial Maps, offering different locations with different layouts, including the original City Trial. KNAR features a story mode centering around the antagonistic Air Ride Network that conquers worlds by defeating their chosen champions in races, and then forces those champions to race for them. Now Pop Star is their next target, and Kirby is among those chosen to race for its freedom (along with King Dedede, Waddle Dee, Meta Knight, a few others...).

A literal Kirby Party game, basically Mario Party but with Kirby and friends.

Apparently Kirby 64 was part of the dream collection for Wii on 20th birthday. Though I still think it might have a chance to get a(nother) port.

A literal Kirby Party game, basically Mario Party but with Kirby and friends.

Isn't Battle Royal somewhat of a party game?

Though only Kirby is playable.

I haven't played it myself, but people told about it.

Air Ride with more playable characters sounds really cool.

I still hope Fighters 2 will get the one or other playable character to convince me buying it.

Edit: Today's Kirby's 29th birthday, so in exactly one year we have the certainty.

Happy Birthday, Little Pinky!

Edited by Zan Partizanne

On 4/25/2021 at 5:13 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

I expect that it will get as much attention as Metroid's anniversary, i.e. none at all.

Kirby's one of the better-selling series for Nintendo, though, so there's no way Nintendo isn't going to at least give it some attention.

Anyways, hopefully Kirby gets a proper 3D mainline game for it's 30th.

• 1 month later...

does anyone remember the sub games from RTD I think that the ninja sub game should come back also meta knight should get his own game

and maybe a new game that would work like super mario bros 35 I would call it kirby's dreamland 30 where 30 player play to be the last kirby standing

How about Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe? KSSU for DS is 13 years old now, so it's about due for another update. They could add more modes, more playable characters, new bosses, etc.

I'd love a Ribbon-centric mode that has us play the fairy girl and demonstrate Copy Abilities of her own. She could also get her own nemesis, perhaps a dark fairy or witch of some kind. Really, it's amazing Ribbon didn't get her own spinoff series, she seems perfect for one.

What I want? Crystal Shards. Criminally underrated Kirby entry. 

What I suspect we'll get? Dreamland again. Dumping the Wii Dreamland collection with some extras on eShop as a limited time release on Switch in vein of the Mario and Fire Emblem classics would be very Nintendo thing to do in 2022. 

Eh, I really don't hope, there will a re-release of a like 30 min. game.

By the way I don't expect anything Kirby related for the E3, but maybe Nintendo will surprise me.

If I see Kirby 64 in the trailer, I'll get a heart attack.

Edited by Zan Partizanne