Paragon - 3DSFE Hacking Toolkit

thane98

One thing I need to know: I want to edit some weapons to have limited uses (for instance I made a Bolting tome), but I have no idea how to actually reflect that in the game. Changing the values of uses doesn't do anything. Do you know how I'd go about that?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Augmented Antics said:

One thing I need to know: I want to edit some weapons to have limited uses (for instance I made a Bolting tome), but I have no idea how to actually reflect that in the game. Changing the values of uses doesn't do anything. Do you know how I'd go about that?

Limited uses for weapons is actually a code change - uses don’t apply outside of staves in the base game. TildeHat implemented this for the shadow dragon remake, but I don’t know if the code is available for others to use.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've used Paragon for some basic editing to unit balance, but I've run into a bit of a problem. It seems like using the character module to edit weapon ranks has no effect on weapon ranks outside of the unit's starting class, whether through reclassing or promotion.

Given that Fates does remember weapon experience when reclassing, I'm wondering if that might be an issue within the module itself. Got my fingers crossed the game isn't hard coded to zero it out when a unit spawns, haha. Actually, that makes me think it could be a property assigned to the unit on its spawn chapter.

I was really hoping to balance out some units/classes by giving them better weapon ranks in their reclasses/promotions. Stuff like Laslow with C rank daggers when reclassing to ninja, or Selena with C rank bows on promotion to Bow Knight. Given how powerful the mono-weapon classes are and how sparse WEXP is it almost seems like something that was intended to be in the game.

Anyway, I'd love to hear back from someone who knows a thing or two about hacking to turn all this fuss into fruition.

Big thanks to thane for making 3DS FE modding 100 times more accessible!

Edited by Darkasinksu

So, I've been messing around with Paragon for the past 2 days (I had my own thread that I ended up turning into an update about my "journey" with this LOL), because I've been trying to create a male Pegasus Knight class for Awakening.

I've made some pretty decent progress so far, as I was able to actually create the class and use proper battle models for it by borrowing them from other classes. But rn, I'm kinda stuck with the spriting.

Like, initially, the sprites weren't showing up at all and used the dummy map sprite. For Pegasus Knight, idk what I did but I was able to use the Wyvern Rider map sprite for it, but it uses the generic sprite with an altered hair color even for units with a Wyvern sprite (ie. they actually have their proper hairstyle on the sprite). For Falcon Knight and Dark Flier however, they still pop up blank even if I try to borrow other sprites.

The class overall works perfectly fine, but the spriting got me stuck. Is there anything I can do to fix the sprites? I know this is a really specific kind of dilemma tho LOL

Spoiler

227188440_884816419100830_7639456876028974092_n.jpg.6d679656594cb302ea26d7b392fd2759.jpg

Pegasus Knight Robin and Frederick

227606054_159081752995903_3417260485368001214_n.jpg.c0758306351efc2827d5a3434eca40d0.jpg

Frederick's "true" Wyvern sprite for reference (he's a Wyvern Rider here, not a Pegasus Knight)

228694342_216955997015215_4565108717487462544_n.jpg.847160a723ee83043a73059d4f202ac8.jpg

Pegasus Knight Frederick and Falcon Knight Robin with a blank sprite

48120535_227661544_1149351892228495_6767369383154993593_n(1).jpg.c0edb986f6cc78003223312d5e97926b.jpg

gah damn that's beautiful tho

Edited by LJ_Tenma

10 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

also where are enemy characters stored? I wanted to make some changes to garon but i can't find him anywhere. the character list seems to only show playable and capture characters.

You edit them in their respective chapters, using the tabs to scroll through unit placement/data.

I tried changing the avatar's default class but it seems to keep spawning him in the default noble class. is there a way to make it so that his talent is the default class? or if not that, have him spawn as cavalier for example.

Just now, Mars of Aritia said:

I tried changing the avatar's default class but it seems to keep spawning him in the default noble class. is there a way to make it so that his talent is the default class? or if not that, have him spawn as cavalier for example.

This would be a code edit. The majority of stats for Corrin (especially during the branch of fate) are hardcoded. This includes Corrin's starting class and weapon.

One way around this would be setting the class through the A000 chapter script - you can do this in Exalt. That's how Ignis (FE14 randomizer) handles Corrin. However, I don't think there's a way to access Corrin's talent in scripts.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:03 AM, LJ_Tenma said:

So, I've been messing around with Paragon for the past 2 days (I had my own thread that I ended up turning into an update about my "journey" with this LOL), because I've been trying to create a male Pegasus Knight class for Awakening.

I've made some pretty decent progress so far, as I was able to actually create the class and use proper battle models for it by borrowing them from other classes. But rn, I'm kinda stuck with the spriting.

Like, initially, the sprites weren't showing up at all and used the dummy map sprite. For Pegasus Knight, idk what I did but I was able to use the Wyvern Rider map sprite for it, but it uses the generic sprite with an altered hair color even for units with a Wyvern sprite (ie. they actually have their proper hairstyle on the sprite). For Falcon Knight and Dark Flier however, they still pop up blank even if I try to borrow other sprites.

The class overall works perfectly fine, but the spriting got me stuck. Is there anything I can do to fix the sprites? I know this is a really specific kind of dilemma tho LOL

Reveal hidden contents

227188440_884816419100830_7639456876028974092_n.jpg.6d679656594cb302ea26d7b392fd2759.jpg

Pegasus Knight Robin and Frederick

227606054_159081752995903_3417260485368001214_n.jpg.c0758306351efc2827d5a3434eca40d0.jpg

Frederick's "true" Wyvern sprite for reference (he's a Wyvern Rider here, not a Pegasus Knight)

228694342_216955997015215_4565108717487462544_n.jpg.847160a723ee83043a73059d4f202ac8.jpg

Pegasus Knight Frederick and Falcon Knight Robin with a blank sprite

48120535_227661544_1149351892228495_6767369383154993593_n(1).jpg.c0edb986f6cc78003223312d5e97926b.jpg

gah damn that's beautiful tho

Overview of Awakening sprites + changes needed:

• The sprite file for a character should be in map/unit/ and takes the form {CharacterName}{JobName}{Team/Color}.ctpk.lz. For example, LissaClericBlue.ctpk.lz (using the Japanese names). So you need to make new sprites for everyone who can use this class.
  • Sprite animation data is defined in the BMapIcon table. For what you're doing you can probably reuse the existing pegasus knight data.
  • The "sprite data" tab in the characters editor controls which animation data the character uses for each class. Each value is either FF FF (-1 / no data) or an index in the BMapIcon table.

The class listing for sprite data is currently hard coded in Paragon. This is fixed in the repo, but not available in a release yet. You can get it now if you're willing to build from source. Otherwise, you can make the edit manually using this version of FEAT with the bin decompiling feature.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:11 AM, Darkasinksu said:

So I've used Paragon for some basic editing to unit balance, but I've run into a bit of a problem. It seems like using the character module to edit weapon ranks has no effect on weapon ranks outside of the unit's starting class, whether through reclassing or promotion.

Given that Fates does remember weapon experience when reclassing, I'm wondering if that might be an issue within the module itself. Got my fingers crossed the game isn't hard coded to zero it out when a unit spawns, haha. Actually, that makes me think it could be a property assigned to the unit on its spawn chapter.

I was really hoping to balance out some units/classes by giving them better weapon ranks in their reclasses/promotions. Stuff like Laslow with C rank daggers when reclassing to ninja, or Selena with C rank bows on promotion to Bow Knight. Given how powerful the mono-weapon classes are and how sparse WEXP is it almost seems like something that was intended to be in the game.

Anyway, I'd love to hear back from someone who knows a thing or two about hacking to turn all this fuss into fruition.

Big thanks to thane for making 3DS FE modding 100 times more accessible!

Thanks!

I'm actually not sure how Fates handles this. If your weapon rank changes persist after saving and reloading Paragon, then I doubt it's an issue with the module itself - I will check this when I have time though. You could also try checking Laslow's weapon ranks in FEFTwiddler after recruiting him.

1 hour ago, thane98 said:

I'm actually not sure how Fates handles this. If your weapon rank changes persist after saving and reloading Paragon, then I doubt it's an issue with the module itself - I will check this when I have time though. You could also try checking Laslow's weapon ranks in FEFTwiddler after recruiting him.

The changes are kept in paragon after saving, but they're zero in FEFT after the unit joins (Except if the ranks adjusted were in the unit's starting class). It's great to use as a workaround though! Been manually changing the ranks after units join.

Editing the weapon ranks in FEFT after the unit joins keeps them all intact upon reclassing and promotion, so fingers crossed it's doable in paragon! Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

12 hours ago, thane98 said:

Overview of Awakening sprites + changes needed:

• The sprite file for a character should be in map/unit/ and takes the form {CharacterName}{JobName}{Team/Color}.ctpk.lz. For example, LissaClericBlue.ctpk.lz (using the Japanese names). So you need to make new sprites for everyone who can use this class.
  • Sprite animation data is defined in the BMapIcon table. For what you're doing you can probably reuse the existing pegasus knight data.
  • The "sprite data" tab in the characters editor controls which animation data the character uses for each class. Each value is either FF FF (-1 / no data) or an index in the BMapIcon table.

The class listing for sprite data is currently hard coded in Paragon. This is fixed in the repo, but not available in a release yet. You can get it now if you're willing to build from source. Otherwise, you can make the edit manually using this version of FEAT with the bin decompiling feature.

Thanks for the advice ! I actually ended up finding sprite folder in the meantime and have been working on it. I realized the sprite data tab on each character couldn't be edited to add a new one, but how would I go about to get the repo? I'm super-new to modding, so a lot of what I've been doing has just been noob work LOL.

Since Robin uses the generic map sprite when they're reclassed to anything other Tactitian/Grandmaster anyway, I decided to just go through with what I had and start a playthrough using my mod with only M!Robin utilizing the class. I'm actually just using the Pegasus Knight sprite instead of Wyvern, since the gender of the Pegasus Knight sprite looks relatively ambiguous. I'm hoping to do another playthrough with more units using the male Pegasus Knight class if I could improve on this mod haha.

However, I do have another question (and I'm really sorry if this is a lot LOL). I was talking with someone else on my other thread, and in the process of trying to figure this mod out, I realized it wouldn't overlap with the Gay Awakening mod. He told me that in order to use the 2 together, I would have to manually edit all of the supports for each character. I actually went through the trouble of doing so and tested it out last night. Fortunately, it worked and I was able to S-Support Chrom with M!Robin as a Pegasus Knight (sumia who ????? idk her) and the cutscene triggered just fine.

I'm just kind of concerned because in the Gay Awakening mod, Lucina and Severa have 2 supports -- a C-S romantic support and a C-A non-romantic sibling support. Since I manually input the supports on Paragon, would the game be able to detect and differentiate the two ?

Edited by LJ_Tenma

12 hours ago, LJ_Tenma said:

Thanks for the advice ! I actually ended up finding sprite folder in the meantime and have been working on it. I realized the sprite data tab on each character couldn't be edited to add a new one, but how would I go about to get the repo? I'm super-new to modding, so a lot of what I've been doing has just been noob work LOL.

Since Robin uses the generic map sprite when they're reclassed to anything other Tactitian/Grandmaster anyway, I decided to just go through with what I had and start a playthrough using my mod with only M!Robin utilizing the class. I'm actually just using the Pegasus Knight sprite instead of Wyvern, since the gender of the Pegasus Knight sprite looks relatively ambiguous. I'm hoping to do another playthrough with more units using the male Pegasus Knight class if I could improve on this mod haha.

However, I do have another question (and I'm really sorry if this is a lot LOL). I was talking with someone else on my other thread, and in the process of trying to figure this mod out, I realized it wouldn't overlap with the Gay Awakening mod. He told me that in order to use the 2 together, I would have to manually edit all of the supports for each character. I actually went through the trouble of doing so and tested it out last night. Fortunately, it worked and I was able to S-Support Chrom with M!Robin as a Pegasus Knight (sumia who ????? idk her) and the cutscene triggered just fine.

I'm just kind of concerned because in the Gay Awakening mod, Lucina and Severa have 2 supports -- a C-S romantic support and a C-A non-romantic sibling support. Since I manually input the supports on Paragon, would the game be able to detect and differentiate the two ?

Parent/child and sibling supports are not stored anywhere in the character data iirc - the game automatically creates them. The only thing you need to add for them is the text archive (files in the m folder).

Reporting on more Paragon usage 'n all that: was playing through chapter ten CQ, and Selena and Beruka spawned in without any stat changes (Except weapon ranks for some odd reason). I did some perusing to troubleshoot, and I figured out that they were spawned in the chapter data under the name PID_B_(name). Additionally, the UI element that paragon shows when referencing a character didn't show up. I changed that to PID_(name) which is the standard template; the UI element showed up and they still spawn in the chapter normally but with all the changes applied!

In CQ route, only Selena, Beruka, Kaze, and Shura spawn with the PID_B_ prefix. Unsure of why or any ramifications of changing it, but it seems to mess with Paragon's interactions.

Anyway, will update if anything goes awry!

On 8/2/2021 at 3:36 AM, Darkasinksu said:

Reporting on more Paragon usage 'n all that: was playing through chapter ten CQ, and Selena and Beruka spawned in without any stat changes (Except weapon ranks for some odd reason). I did some perusing to troubleshoot, and I figured out that they were spawned in the chapter data under the name PID_B_(name). Additionally, the UI element that paragon shows when referencing a character didn't show up. I changed that to PID_(name) which is the standard template; the UI element showed up and they still spawn in the chapter normally but with all the changes applied!

In CQ route, only Selena, Beruka, Kaze, and Shura spawn with the PID_B_ prefix. Unsure of why or any ramifications of changing it, but it seems to mess with Paragon's interactions.

Anyway, will update if anything goes awry!

Those characters are defined in handover files. They're used for route-specific stats.

Handover characters show up as broken in Paragon right now since it doesn't load them, but the characters will still function in game. You can edit the handover files through Multis -> Person -> {A_HANDOVER or B_HANDOVER or C_HANDOVER}

16 hours ago, thane98 said:

Those characters are defined in handover files. They're used for route-specific stats.

Handover characters show up as broken in Paragon right now since it doesn't load them, but the characters will still function in game. You can edit the handover files through Multis -> Person -> {A_HANDOVER or B_HANDOVER or C_HANDOVER}

Thanks for letting me know! Checking out the multis now.

13 hours ago, sylvee said:

I have been trying to download this on Mac but whenever I do download it there isn't an app to open

The Mac version is currently distributed as a binary, not a .app. You can start it through a terminal:

1. Navigate to the directory containing the paragon binary in a terminal.
  2. Run ./paragon
  3. If you get a permissions error, do chmod +x paragon and then try running the command again.

6 hours ago, thane98 said:

The Mac version is currently distributed as a binary, not a .app. You can start it through a terminal:

1. Navigate to the directory containing the paragon binary in a terminal.
  2. Run ./paragon
  3. If you get a permissions error, do chmod +x paragon and then try running the command again.

I have done all this but it says I cant open it because it is from an identified developer so it won't open

On 8/11/2021 at 9:02 AM, sylvee said:

I have done all this but it says I cant open it because it is from an identified developer so it won't open

is there anyway I can get around this

20 hours ago, sylvee said:

is there anyway I can get around this

This is more of a MacOS than a Paragon issue - I don't have much experience with Mac permissions. I found this, but if it doesn't help you might try searching the error yourself: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/202169/how-can-i-open-an-app-from-an-unidentified-developer-without-using-the-gui/202172

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I may just be being dumb, and I know FEAT isn't your tool, but...

How do you actually launch FEAT? The GITHub link gives you a download that, as far as I can tell, only has the Visual Studio files and not the .exe that other posts refer to. Do I have to do something with the files first (other than extract them)?

4 hours ago, Kuup said:

So I may just be being dumb, and I know FEAT isn't your tool, but...

How do you actually launch FEAT? The GITHub link gives you a download that, as far as I can tell, only has the Visual Studio files and not the .exe that other posts refer to. Do I have to do something with the files first (other than extract them)?

You downloaded the source code, not the release. You want FEAT.zip from this page: https://github.com/VelouriasMoon/FEAT/releases/tag/v2.6

• 3 weeks later...

When I booted up paragon for the first time (using mac btw if that means anything) and it says: Cannot find Paragon data files. This probably means that your working directory is incorrect. What does it mean? And what do I have to do? This is my first time tinkering with anything remotely like this. It is both stressful and exhilirating 😅. Many thanks in advance and thank you for what you do for the FE Community! ❤️