Paragon - 3DSFE Hacking Toolkit

thane98

I've run into a problem. When I use DotNet.3DS.Toolkit.v1.4.6 to build my changes into a CIA file, I get a warning saying that HeaderNCCH6.bin, HeaderNCCH2.bin, and LogoLZ.bin are missing. I believe this is the cause of the random crashes I've discussed earlier here. For some reason the crashes at the end of chapters occur on my 2DS, but not on Citra. Perhaps the emulator doesn't use the missing files and an actual 2DS does? 

I've attempted to solve this by extracting roms from many different sources to find the files, but to no success. How do I get the missing files?

I'd really appreciate some insight on the proper methods and tools to extract and rebuild ROMs. HackingToolkit 9DS V9, HackingToolkit 9DS V12, and DotNet.3DS.Toolkit.v1.4.6 each get me different results when extracting the same ROM, which is very confusing.

Edited by IrohDW

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, IrohDW said:

I'd really appreciate some insight on the proper methods and tools to extract and rebuild ROMs. HackingToolkit 9DS V9, HackingToolkit 9DS V12, and DotNet.3DS.Toolkit.v1.4.6 each get me different results when extracting the same ROM, which is very confusing.

Extract the rom using GM9's Romfs extract tool. I ran into the same issue until i tried this, maybe it'll work for you. (assuming a modded 2DS ofc)

So, okay. Let's start off from the top...

I can't find either my Birthright or my Revelations chapter scripts. Specifically, I can't find, say, C027.cmb from the "Scripts" file. How did I find out, you ask? Well, I was trying to edit it in Paragon (that's why I'm posting here) and the thing was just... Blank. And from there, through concerned, panicked testing, I found out that I have the scripts for all of the Paralogues and the Conquest chapters where they should be - but that's it.

Even more bewildering is that the game runs as normal. I can play Birthright, Conquest and Revelations all without issue, even when loading a modded version of the game. Now, basically, this wouldn't be a problem - obviously - if I didn't need to actually edit any of the specifically missing files. Namely I need the one I mentioned a bit ago - Revelations' chapter 27. I can get by fine from there, but I'm concerned that I might need to edit a different chapter later, so I think it'd be best to nip this in the bud and ask - does anyone have any earthly ideas where my chapters' scripts have gone?

Is there any documentation about where common files are found? I'm trying to hunt around for some sound files in FE14. I've found a load of My Room clips, but haven't come across the neutral ones that the chapters often use (e.g. VOICE_ENEMY_M1_EVT_06). I don't actually need to edit them, I just want to listen to them so that I know which ones are being called in the dialogue files.

A more Paragon-specific question, I've replaced Takumi with a generic in the Prologue. I actually just edited his Chapter Character profile to swap out portraits and models, because I know the script calls on him a lot so it seemed safer to not mess with his PID. I also swapped out his weapon to a different bow. The only problem is that now, when he switches from the Ally team to the Player team, he loses that bow and has nothing to equip (so you can't complete the part of the tutorial where you're meant to use him and then Corrin to defeat the lancer). Any ideas why this might be?

Edit: Seems like it was just the weapon I was trying to give him. I switched it from a Silver Hankyu to a couple of different standard Yumi to test it out, and those all worked fine.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:32 PM, ToodTheDude said:

I can't find either my Birthright or my Revelations chapter scripts. Specifically, I can't find, say, C027.cmb from the "Scripts" file.

That sounds frustrating! Is your copy Conquest with Birthright and Revelation purchased as DLC? I think I remember reading that some people had issues with DLC. If you can get ahold of the special edition that came with all three routes, that might be a better option.

Edited by Kuup

On 11/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, lightcosmo said:

Extract the rom using GM9's Romfs extract tool. I ran into the same issue until i tried this, maybe it'll work for you. (assuming a modded 2DS ofc)

Thanks for the help, I've extracted the rom using your method. How to I put the modified files back into the installed ROM? Does GM9 do that or do I need to reinstall the game with a modified CIA?

1 hour ago, IrohDW said:

Thanks for the help, I've extracted the rom using your method. How to I put the modified files back into the installed ROM? Does GM9 do that or do I need to reinstall the game with a modified CIA?

How are you running game? Are you using an ISO or the actual cartridge?

15 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

How are you running game? Are you using an ISO or the actual cartridge?

I'm on a 2DS using Luma CFW. I converted my cartridge into a CIA so I can run the game on my SD Card. I've been using DotNet 3DS Toolkit to convert changes from Paragon into a CIA and installing it with FBI. I use checkpoint to restore my save each time I install a new CIA.

2 hours ago, IrohDW said:

I'm on a 2DS using Luma CFW. I converted my cartridge into a CIA so I can run the game on my SD Card. I've been using DotNet 3DS Toolkit to convert changes from Paragon into a CIA and installing it with FBI. I use checkpoint to restore my save each time I install a new CIA.

You can just run the game via cart using Luma, you just need to create a directory for the game ID, no need to make a CIA if you own the game.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

You can just run the game via cart using Luma, you just need to create a directory for the game ID, no need to make a CIA if you own the game.

I didn't know about that. Game patching is WAY easier than what I was doing. Unfortunately I'm still getting the crash after pressing A at the Stage Complete!  screen at the end of chapter 19. It only occurs if game patching is on, so it must be coming from a file Paragon has modified, and not the rom itself. I'll post another crash dump for posterity.

Edit: on a hunch, I decided to delete 019.bin.lz because I don't need to change that chapter's data. I removed the file from the data/dispos, data/person, data/terrain, and map/data directories, and the crash is GONE!

Chapter 19 Crash After %22Stage Complete!%22 text.dmp

Edited by IrohDW

6 hours ago, IrohDW said:

I didn't know about that. Game patching is WAY easier than what I was doing. Unfortunately I'm still getting the crash after pressing A at the Stage Complete!  screen at the end of chapter 19. It only occurs if game patching is on, so it must be coming from a file Paragon has modified, and not the rom itself. I'll post another crash dump for posterity.

Edit: on a hunch, I decided to delete 019.bin.lz because I don't need to change that chapter's data. I removed the file from the data/dispos, data/person, data/terrain, and map/data directories, and the crash is GONE!

Glad you got it sorted out!

I couldn't have done it without your help, thank you. Using game patching instead of cia modding means that making a change to the game has gone from taking 30 minutes down to 2. I can debug issues like this a lot faster as a result.

I did some more digging and figured out the crash was made because I changed Walhart's stats. The file causing the crash is: data\dispos\019.bin.lz. Hope that helps it get fixed. Also, the issue where changing chapter data makes a landscape file that overwrites the chapter's landscapes with a blank one still needs fixing. It seems the chapter editor is generating unnecessary files that are causing unintended effects or crashes. For now I'm using a batch file to remove the unneeded files.

Edited by IrohDW

4 hours ago, IrohDW said:

I couldn't have done it without your help, thank you. Using game patching instead of cia modding means that making a change to the game has gone from taking 30 minutes down to 2. I can debug issues like this a lot faster as a result.

I did some more digging and figured out the crash was made because I changed Walhart's stats. The file causing the crash is: data\dispos\019.bin.lz. Hope that helps it get fixed. Also, the issue where changing chapter data makes a landscape file that overwrites the chapter's landscapes with a blank one still needs fixing. It seems the chapter editor is generating unnecessary files that are causing unintended effects or crashes. For now I'm using a batch file to remove the unneeded files.

You're welcome!

Paragon creates the file as soon as you go too it in the editor, changes or not. At least as far as I could tell.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:32 PM, ToodTheDude said:

So, okay. Let's start off from the top...

I can't find either my Birthright or my Revelations chapter scripts. Specifically, I can't find, say, C027.cmb from the "Scripts" file. How did I find out, you ask? Well, I was trying to edit it in Paragon (that's why I'm posting here) and the thing was just... Blank. And from there, through concerned, panicked testing, I found out that I have the scripts for all of the Paralogues and the Conquest chapters where they should be - but that's it.

Even more bewildering is that the game runs as normal. I can play Birthright, Conquest and Revelations all without issue, even when loading a modded version of the game. Now, basically, this wouldn't be a problem - obviously - if I didn't need to actually edit any of the specifically missing files. Namely I need the one I mentioned a bit ago - Revelations' chapter 27. I can get by fine from there, but I'm concerned that I might need to edit a different chapter later, so I think it'd be best to nip this in the bud and ask - does anyone have any earthly ideas where my chapters' scripts have gone?

Paragon doesn't manage script files yet, so I wouldn't expect them to show up in your project or anywhere in the UI. If you need to edit them you can use Exalt. General approach is to take the script you want to edit from your extracted RomFS, put it in the same location in your project (ex. put it under {project dir}/Scripts/C/C027.cmb), and then open it in Exalt.

15 hours ago, IrohDW said:

As far as I know that is how Paragon works. The problem is that the default files the chapter editor makes when opening it are not the same as the game's original files, which causes unintended behavior and crashes.

Still looking into this one. Main issue is reproducing this reliably. As a short term fix I may take this out of the chapter editor since most people don't need to edit landscape anyway.

Edited by thane98

I'm playing around with Paragon a bit working on a small project, and I ran into a few things I wanted to ask about:

- Is there a way to copy a character's data from one chapter to another other than just manually re-inputing it?

- I'm struggling a bit with enemy unit AI. Ideally I'd like to make a unit that targets the avatar and moves towards them even if they're out of range, but my few attempts with the "HeroOnly" movement & attack options didn't yield any results - the unit would attack in melee range but wouldn't use its move speed. I've fixed this by just copying over the AI from a regular enemy unit, which I'm okay with, but I'd still like to find a way to make them pursue your units regardless of where they are on the map. Is this possible?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I've dumped the romfs (Citra) for FE15 (SoV) but Paragon crashed. I've did the same methods for FE13 and FE14 and it worked fine.

edit: fixed my own mistakes. eu and na are 2 different categories

Edited by Ryuke

On 12/9/2021 at 5:54 PM, Tyrux said:

I'm playing around with Paragon a bit working on a small project, and I ran into a few things I wanted to ask about:

- Is there a way to copy a character's data from one chapter to another other than just manually re-inputing it?

- I'm struggling a bit with enemy unit AI. Ideally I'd like to make a unit that targets the avatar and moves towards them even if they're out of range, but my few attempts with the "HeroOnly" movement & attack options didn't yield any results - the unit would attack in melee range but wouldn't use its move speed. I've fixed this by just copying over the AI from a regular enemy unit, which I'm okay with, but I'd still like to find a way to make them pursue your units regardless of where they are on the map. Is this possible?

Thank you!

- You should be able to copy character data using Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V

- Not sure about this one personally, but there are people in the 3DSFE modding Discord that could help you do this. PM me your Discord ID if you need an invite.

12 hours ago, Newb said:

Hi I'm just trying to familiarize myself with Paragon and I'm trying to edit character stats of FE Awakening. I can't seem to edit it past 127 value. Is there a way to surpass the value?

As far as I know stats are signed, so min value = -128, max value = 127.

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I have a question about running RD through Paragon... how do i begin to do that? Do i run the ISO through it or the data files?

The data files. You can extract them from the ISO using Dolphin.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

So is there a specific version i have to use? I know RD has more than one.

Any NA or JPN version should be fine - I haven't looked at the EU version yet, so Paragon may be missing support for a couple languages in that version.

2 hours ago, thane98 said:

Any NA or JPN version should be fine - I haven't looked at the EU version yet, so Paragon may be missing support for a couple languages in that version.

Okay, thank you, and I apologise for all the silly questions.