Paragon - 3DSFE Hacking Toolkit

thane98

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm new to the modding scene I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but do you know how to make paragon read Awakening's DLC files/how to get them? I'm trying to edit the sprites for the DLC classes but no matter what I do Paragon only reads them using the base tactician sprite, as if the SD card was removed. I need the animation data for my project to work so I can't just add the sprites manually. I've dumped my game successfully (Got the Romf), but I've been unable to dump the DLC in a similar way (It only coverts to CIA or other formats I can't use). 

54 minutes ago, OnlyHereforpopcorn said:

Hi, I'm new to the modding scene I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but do you know how to make paragon read Awakening's DLC files/how to get them? I'm trying to edit the sprites for the DLC classes but no matter what I do Paragon only reads them using the base tactician sprite, as if the SD card was removed. I need the animation data for my project to work so I can't just add the sprites manually. I've dumped my game successfully (Got the Romf), but I've been unable to dump the DLC in a similar way (It only coverts to CIA or other formats I can't use). 

Paragon doesn't support DLC directly - you would need to drop the files into your project or the base game's RomFS. DLC's also a pain to work with in general, so I don't remember the process for dumping and modding it.

14 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

When importing a sound set to Fates from Awakening: i get this error message:

Hide contents

8810c57e167e66b425515ece67de3607.png

spoilered for size.

am i doing something wrong?

Very likely that you have two entries with identical names which isn't allowed by the format. Quick fix is to get rid of the identical names.

Your right about that.

Is there a way to extract and transfer a single voice clip from one game to another?

Edit: when i try i get this:

2ca69d98d29540a010349307c96cf27f.png

Edited by lightcosmo

Is there a way to edit the animated movie subtitles in Awakening using this? I'm trying to edit the names and dialogue to more closely match the Japanese dialogue. This is simple for everything else, but the movie subtitles is not something I've been able to track down.

Edited by ssj3futuretrunks

On 4/13/2022 at 5:13 AM, lightcosmo said:

Your right about that.

Is there a way to extract and transfer a single voice clip from one game to another?

Edit: when i try i get this:

2ca69d98d29540a010349307c96cf27f.png

For editing single sounds, this section in the wiki covers it: https://github.com/thane98/BCSAR-View/wiki/Editing-Sound-Sets

For the error, have you set up any tools do wav <-> cwav conversion? The tool doesn't have a built in way to do this yet, so you need to configure another program. Wiki: https://github.com/thane98/BCSAR-View/wiki/Setup#wav---cwav-conversion

On 4/14/2022 at 7:38 AM, ssj3futuretrunks said:

Is there a way to edit the animated movie subtitles in Awakening using this? I'm trying to edit the names and dialogue to more closely match the Japanese dialogue. This is simple for everything else, but the movie subtitles is not something I've been able to track down.

Subtitles are probably in the m folder of the ROM. You could edit these directly in Paragon, but for this it would be easier to use FEAT: https://github.com/VelouriasMoon/FEAT/releases

Sorry if this is a dumb question, new to this whole process so may be missing something that is right in front of me. I am trying to randomize FE15 using the random class generator (which is linked on the github) and have my JSON file. When I boot up Paragon, I choose my RomFS contents, and an export file, etc with no issue, although when Paragon fully boots, I cant seem to find a place where I can import the JSON file. The directions given by the randomizer say the "import" option is under "Files", but the only options I have are "Save", "Reload", "Close", and "Quit". If it is relevant information, I have the newest version of Paragon. Anyone know how to solve this issue / find a way to import the file? Thanks!

On 4/21/2022 at 5:00 PM, Elitest_Trash776 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, new to this whole process so may be missing something that is right in front of me. I am trying to randomize FE15 using the random class generator (which is linked on the github) and have my JSON file. When I boot up Paragon, I choose my RomFS contents, and an export file, etc with no issue, although when Paragon fully boots, I cant seem to find a place where I can import the JSON file. The directions given by the randomizer say the "import" option is under "Files", but the only options I have are "Save", "Reload", "Close", and "Quit". If it is relevant information, I have the newest version of Paragon. Anyone know how to solve this issue / find a way to import the file? Thanks!

Paragon went through a rewrite a while back and import/export hasn't made it to the new version yet. You can use this version or any earlier version if you need to import/export JSON patches.

I'm having a heck of a time getting any FE10 modifications incorporated into a functional form. I've modded RD in the past using the old, archaic methods to modify simple things like growths and bases, then gotten that set into an iso perfectly fine. When I saw this program was now supporting RD, I was excited at the prospect of editing things that were a little too advanced for me to do like 10 years ago, like more map-oriented stuff.

The problem is though that no matter what changes I make, I can't seem to get anything running, not through dolphin nor my actual wii. I can still modify files manually using the old method on a clean iso, and that works fine in both, but for some reason any file modified in Paragon seems to...mess up the iso somehow? I've gradually paired down what I was trying to change as I've been attempting to figure out what the problem is, but at this point it seems like anything Paragon modifies becomes a problem, so I'm curious if you yourself have successfully gotten modifications to RD running, and what tools/method you used to do so.

I've used WIT and WiiScrubber and both create broken isos using Paragon-modified files.

To clarify, it's broken in different ways depending on the tool and settings I used, but it always happens after clearing chapter 3 in part 1.

Broken result 1: After you escape, the game goes through the cutscene, you get prompted to save, and then after closing that screen, there's an error in dolphin that pops up, which you can ignore. If you do, it loads into a crazy bugged map of part 1 endgame, with a bunch of random characters under player control but broken, like Ike and Caineghis, multiple copies of the same characters under player and enemy control, and the lighting all busted. It's bizarre. It almost seems like a debug map? On a real wii, this same iso just kept bricking my wii when attempting to start a new game, right after the intro cutscene with Micaiah and the soldiers.

Broken result 2: After you escape, the cutscene goes through just like result 1, only after it's done, the game just doesn't load anything and sits at a black screen in dolphin, making a high pitched screech the whole time. On a real wii, this iso bricked my wii at the exact same point after the cutscene upon clearing chapter 3.

I've verified the integrity of my untouched iso using dolphin and it says it's good, but any iso I've modified/built using Paragon-modified files gives at least one error. Currently I've managed to pair down to the point that there's only one error in dolphin's scan: The data partition is not correctly signed.

It says it's a low severity issue, but evidently that's not the case as the game can't run. lol

I actually still have my original modded RD iso from 10+ years ago because it was still on the hard drive I had in my wii, and checking that one in dolphin gives no errors at all. I modified it using WiiScrubber, and it was edited using the old method of extracting and decrypting, then hex editing, re-encrypting, and then inserting back in, and calling it a day. So clearly there's something funky happening either directly with Paragon, or because of how Paragon's modifications are interacting with WiiScrubber or WIT.

So yeah, what are the exact tools or steps needed to modify FE10 and get a working end result?

On 4/24/2022 at 12:53 PM, redlion707 said:

tl;dr hacking Radiant Dawn using Paragon with old knowledge didn't work.

Apologies for double posting, hopefully it can be forgiven as I address my previous post and share some knowledge other people as clueless as me might need in the future. Thane98 pointed me to a discord specialized in hacking Radiant Dawn, and the admin of it pretty much immediately helped me solve my issue.

YOU NO LONGER NEED WIISCRUBBER FOR MOST THINGS. At least if you intend to use dolphin to play your hacked Radiant Dawn. Instead, what you'll do is open the ISO in dolphin to extract the files as mentioned at least once earlier in this thread. Extract the entire disc to one folder. Your end result will have two subfolders inside called DATA and UPDATE, which will in turn have everything inside them. When you create modified files using Paragon, you'll copy your files from the output folder you have set up in your Paragon project file into DATA > files inside the folder you extracted your entire FE10 ISO to. It's a good idea to have a backup of that "files" folder. Overwrite the files with your Paragon-modified ones.

Next is where I kept making my mistake, trying to make a new ISO out of the modified files. It doesn't work. I dunno why, and frankly it doesn't matter. Instead what you do is open dolphin again, then go to Config > Paths, and add a new one. Now here comes the neat thing--dolphin doesn't need a file to be an ISO, WBFS, or nkit. Open up your exported ISO files again and navigate to DATA > sys. The new path you're putting into dolphin is this folder right here, because dolphin can run your modified Radiant Dawn using that main.dol file.

And voila! The game should pop up in your list of playable games in dolphin now, provided you moved your original ISO out of whatever default directory you have dolphin pulling from. And it'll be playable with any and all changes you make. Be warned that if your results are sorta like mine, your game might start slow with low fps and with heavily cracking sound, but after 5 or 6 seconds, it corrects itself. You don't even need to leave the menu, it just takes a bit to get itself in order since it's loading loose files. Once they're all good though you can play without issue.

HUGE thanks to ViciousSal for teaching me this, I never would have found out any of this without him!

Side note: WiiScrubber is still used for certain things, but chances are very low that an average joe hacker with need it for anything. If you do end up needing it, don't look to me for help! lol

Edited by redlion707
spelling

Hey, I've recently gotten into FE rom hacking and I was having some trouble with Paragon. Whenever I try to run a new project it says that bs/aset.lz is missing. I'm assuming this problem is occurring because I'm not using the right folder for directory. I've never had a problem like this before and would really appreciate if someone could help.unknown.png

Edited by xxinfinitezero
Typo

On 5/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, xxinfinitezero said:

Hey, I've recently gotten into FE rom hacking and I was having some trouble with Paragon. Whenever I try to run a new project it says that bs/aset.lz is missing. I'm assuming this problem is occurring because I'm not using the right folder for directory. I've never had a problem like this before and would really appreciate if someone could help.

Yeah I think you have the wrong folder. It looks like you set your Extracted RomFS folder and output folder to the same place.

Do you have a dump of the game? Have you extracted the romfs so you have the game files in a folder? You can do this in Citra.

Extracted RomFS folder should point to the directory of your game files. There should be other folders inside of it like "bs", "GameData", "sound", etc.

The output folder is where Paragon should save updates. Generally you make the location where Citra will read your modded files from or somewhere similar for Luma. But main thing is to not point it your rom files since that will overwrite the original data.

1 hour ago, thane98 said:

Yeah I think you have the wrong folder. It looks like you set your Extracted RomFS folder and output folder to the same place.

Do you have a dump of the game? Have you extracted the romfs so you have the game files in a folder? You can do this in Citra.

Extracted RomFS folder should point to the directory of your game files. There should be other folders inside of it like "bs", "GameData", "sound", etc.

The output folder is where Paragon should save updates. Generally you make the location where Citra will read your modded files from or somewhere similar for Luma. But main thing is to not point it your rom files since that will overwrite the original data.

Thank you very much I'll give it a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi so I'm very new to modding fe and Paragon in general, I was wondering if someone could help with how to install multiple mods when some of the formats are romfs without causing conflicts between them?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 9:24 AM, mcrbfh said:

Hi, this is my first time modding dump file, what do i do after moded it and how do i apply it to the game? Thx

if you're on Citra you'd put the resulting romfs folder into "..\Citra\load\mods\<title id>" and it will automatically load it

if you're using Luma3ds it's "..\luma\titles\<title id>", check "Enable game patching" then you're good to go

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 2:13 PM, nPhlames said:

if you're on Citra you'd put the resulting romfs folder into "..\Citra\load\mods\<title id>" and it will automatically load it

if you're using Luma3ds it's "..\luma\titles\<title id>", check "Enable game patching" then you're good to go

Tusen takk, you're my life saver

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to give units access to more classes via heart seal(FE14)? I know in the editor you can give 1st gens one additional class if they don't have one or to change their existing class sets, but I was wondering if it would be possible to allow a unit to have pretty much all classes available via heart seal?

On 11/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, Spectre said:

Is it possible to give units access to more classes via heart seal(FE14)? I know in the editor you can give 1st gens one additional class if they don't have one or to change their existing class sets, but I was wondering if it would be possible to allow a unit to have pretty much all classes available via heart seal?

From my own testing, including the Tactician class into a unit's class set gives all reclass options, gender restrictions depending if it's M!Tactician or F!Tactician.

Funny enough the gender class restrictions are tied to the unit's current class instead of, y'know, the unit themselves.

Edited by nPhlames
Misinformation

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, pprfrst said:

When I booted up paragon for the first time (using mac btw if that means anything) and it says: Cannot find Paragon data files. This probably means that your working directory is incorrect. What does it mean? And what do I have to do? This is my first time tinkering with anything remotely like this. It is both stressful and exhilirating 😅. Many thanks in advance and thank you for what you do for the FE Community! ❤️

Sorry if this is like bumping or anything (idk if you have this issue anymore), but I came here to ask about this exact same problem! I figured out the 'why', just not the 'how'. For some reason, after I close out of my first brand new "run" of Paragon (I wanted to save font and theme changes when it first happened to me), the .json and/or .log files save in users/(username)/ instead of where they should (Downloads). I've been able to replicate this every time I've deleted, reinstalled, and retried.

Now, I have ZERO idea if this is something to do with the terminal, the admin permissions thingy, my output path, or something else entirely. I'm gonna try to run it as normal but make an edit and save the project before closing. Um, wish me luck?

On 12/20/2022 at 3:43 AM, TetraticOceans said:

Sorry if this is like bumping or anything (idk if you have this issue anymore), but I came here to ask about this exact same problem! I figured out the 'why', just not the 'how'. For some reason, after I close out of my first brand new "run" of Paragon (I wanted to save font and theme changes when it first happened to me), the .json and/or .log files save in users/(username)/ instead of where they should (Downloads). I've been able to replicate this every time I've deleted, reinstalled, and retried.

Now, I have ZERO idea if this is something to do with the terminal, the admin permissions thingy, my output path, or something else entirely. I'm gonna try to run it as normal but make an edit and save the project before closing. Um, wish me luck?

Can't provide much support for the Mac version since I don't actually own one, but which directory are you running Paragon from? It sounds like you're running it from your user directory, but you should cd into the directory of Paragon first.

Ex. If Paragon is in /Users/{username}/Downloads/Paragon/ and you're in /Users/{username}/ when the terminal opens, you can get to the Paragon directory by running cd Downloads/Paragon and then run it with ./paragon