Paragon - 3DSFE Hacking Toolkit

thane98

Pgn2.thumb.PNG.b9de97e5f0ddb8183f247a7c3b23844e.PNGPgn1.thumb.PNG.34cf38789192ffde69d466c74cd53ea3.PNG

Paragon is a toolkit for editing FE13-FE15. It includes editors for things like characters, chapters, items, etc. as well as a dialogue editor/simulator. Everything is built on top of a module system similar to Nightmare, so you can also build your own editors or change the UI without touching code.

The editing process for Paragon is a lot simpler than its predecessors. Just give it your extracted romfs and a place to save changes - it will figure out the rest.

For more information, see the GitHub repo: https://github.com/thane98/paragon

Download links for MacOS and Windows available here: https://github.com/thane98/paragon/releases

While Paragon should cover everything at some point, it's currently missing ways to edit sounds, scripts, and assets. I recommend the following tools for these use cases:

Edited by thane98

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Hasechi said:

FEAT doesn't work. Drag .bin to FEAT.exe but nothing happen

FEAT isn't actually my app, so all I can only give advice. I suggest using the fork I linked in my post (the exe should have a Velouria icon) and holding CTRL when you drag the *.bin file over the window.

Edited by thane98

5 hours ago, Hasechi said:

@thane98 Hi. umm... could we swap charater roles with this tool? Like make Forrest become first generation, Scarlet would be his child. Or Candace swap role with Ryoma, her child would be Nina.

Definitely possible, but I wouldn't consider it a beginner project.

• The only global data for Candace is as a capturable unit. You would want to make a new Candace in the character editor with a unique PID.
  • Characters have a "parent" field that you would need to change. There's also parent ID and child ID. Not sure what these do to be honest, but you should set them as well.
  • Chapters have a "Married Character" unlock condition that would need to be changed.
  • You should also adjust chapter spawns so that the new "child" character shows up instead of the original. You can also change chapter dialogue, but that might take a while. Some chapters may also mention a character in the script, so you should replace any references to the original child's PID in Exalt.
  • Hair colors are also an issue - it's not something I've messed with before. To make Scarlet's hair change depending on the mother, you would probably need to recolor her hair to the same gray color used for second gen units. I'm not sure if you need to do something similar for model textures. FEAT can handle extracting portrait arcs, replacing textures, etc.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. There's may be more steps to this that I'm forgetting. Adding a new character is easy, but moving characters between generations is more complicated.

@thane98 I'm kinda confused as to what's happening here:

d5d23674e012e21a1c4e463c40b9ca5d.png

any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, the game took it upon itself to change Felicia into a Troubadour from a Maid. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

@thane98 I'm kinda confused as to what's happening here:

d5d23674e012e21a1c4e463c40b9ca5d.png

any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, the game took it upon itself to change Felicia into a Troubadour from a Maid. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

A006, B006, and C006 don't organize their data like other chapters, so they require Paragon to look in two locations to find chapter data. As long as characters show up in the "Map" and "Chapter Characters" tabs, nothing is wrong here.

For Felicia showing up as a Troubadour, that's an interesting issue - nobody's reported something like this before. I will look into it, but as a sanity check I would make sure Felicia isn't set to Troubadour in your project. The dropdowns change items when you scroll over them, so something like that could trigger an unexpected change (already have a task to make this optional in my TODO list).

Edited by thane98

7 hours ago, thane98 said:

A006, B006, and C006 don't organize their data like other chapters, so they require Paragon to look in two locations to find chapter data. As long as chapters show up in the "Map" and "Chapter Characters" tabs, nothing is wrong here.

For Felicia showing up as a Troubadour, that's an interesting issue - nobody's reported something like this before. I will look into it, but as a sanity check I would make sure Felicia isn't set to Troubadour in your project. The dropdowns change items when you scroll over them, so something like that could trigger an unexpected change (already have a task to make this optional in my TODO list).

Ah got it, thank you.

Its ONLY when I make changes after I recruited her, and it's fine otherwise. (I.E making some changes, stopping, them making more and restarting from where I left off.)

I'm pretty sure that's the cause, but I can test again to make sure.

Edit: Okay so i got to chapter 8 just fine, no issues. i stop to make some changes, and all of my units except Corrin, are swapped around and in different slots (I.E, Scarlet is in Elise's slot, Elise is in Arthur's slot) 

Is there a way to avoid this or am i just gonna have to deal with it?

Edited by lightcosmo

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Its ONLY when I make changes after I recruited her, and it's fine otherwise. (I.E making some changes, stopping, them making more and restarting from where I left off.)

I'm pretty sure that's the cause, but I can test again to make sure.

Edit: Okay so i got to chapter 8 just fine, no issues. i stop to make some changes, and all of my units except Corrin, are swapped around and in different slots (I.E, Scarlet is in Elise's slot, Elise is in Arthur's slot) 

Is there a way to avoid this or am i just gonna have to deal with it?

Nothing's guaranteed when making changes with an existing save unfortunately. Reordering tables, supports, deployment slots, etc are especially bad for this.

10 hours ago, thane98 said:

Nothing's guaranteed when making changes with an existing save unfortunately. Reordering tables, supports, deployment slots, etc are especially bad for this.

Sadly i figured this out the hard way, but thank you for the help either way.

Edit: okay I found the issue, when I turn the game off and reboot it, everything gets scrambled. 

Changes or not, so I assume the way I'm running the changes could be the issue here.

Edited by lightcosmo

Double post to let TC know that the issue waa on my end.

I was using my decrypted RomFS from the old method of extracting and editing data, and that was the issue. I simply got a new one using newer methods, and now I have no issues at all. 

I apologise for all the silly stuff, and didn't mean to waste your time at all.

• 2 weeks later...

New version is available from the download link in the main post. Change log:

• Added an editor for FE14 field files (field/ and GameData/Field/)
  • Added a multi for asset files.
  • Added a widget for validating a file path. (Ex. Determine whether or not a portrait file is valid).
  • Multiple destinations can be chosen with advanced copy
  • Copying will not overwrite the destination's ID. (Ex. Copying from Felicia to Rinkah will not change Rinkah's character ID)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I was trying to make a small edit to test if this worked before making something for myself and I got this error message.

image.png.47418865bcf4f7487dc93536beffdb20.png

the small edit i made for the test is to change takumi into an apothecary.

I do not know much about romhacks or coding. so sorry if this is a simple error or something

22 hours ago, mindory said:

Hello, I was trying to make a small edit to test if this worked before making something for myself and I got this error message.

image.png.47418865bcf4f7487dc93536beffdb20.png

the small edit i made for the test is to change takumi into an apothecary.

I do not know much about romhacks or coding. so sorry if this is a simple error or something

This is a permissions error, so chances are your project/output folder is in some place that requires administrator permissions. Can fix it by either using an output folder that doesn’t require these permissions or running Paragon as administrator. I’d suggest using a different output folder.

39 minutes ago, thane98 said:

This is a permissions error, so chances are your project/output folder is in some place that requires administrator permissions. Can fix it by either using an output folder that doesn’t require these permissions or running Paragon as administrator. I’d suggest using a different output folder.

Okay so running paragon on admin was actually the very first thing I did when I first got the error, and it did not change anything. It gave me the exact same error. As for your suggestion, I don't think the place is admin permission locked.

both the romfs, the output, and the paragon files are in a single folder in the desktop

image.png.c306d05b0291bee65f4d98b23cb27647.png

Edited by mindory

8 hours ago, mindory said:

Okay so running paragon on admin was actually the very first thing I did when I first got the error, and it did not change anything. It gave me the exact same error. As for your suggestion, I don't think the place is admin permission locked.

both the romfs, the output, and the paragon files are in a single folder in the desktop

image.png.c306d05b0291bee65f4d98b23cb27647.png

I see - either way Paragon is trying to write to something it can’t. I’ll post a release later today with some adjustments to either fix your issue or at least give some more info on what went wrong.

I love the editor so far, but I've run into a problem. For some reason Chapter 9 in awakening has a screwed up background during battles on all tiles except for forts. I never did any edits on backgrounds, so I don't know how to fix it. The only thing I edited in the chapter data is Tharja's starting equipment.

Also, I've discovered that the second byte in the Unknown 2 section of the item editor is the experience that the item provides if it is a staff.

WTF.jpg

10 hours ago, IrohDW said:

I love the editor so far, but I've run into a problem. For some reason Chapter 9 in awakening has a screwed up background during battles on all tiles except for forts. I never did any edits on backgrounds, so I don't know how to fix it. The only thing I edited in the chapter data is Tharja's starting equipment.

Also, I've discovered that the second byte in the Unknown 2 section of the item editor is the experience that the item provides if it is a staff.

WTF.jpg

Thanks for the report - I think I know what’s causing this, so I will have a fix for it in the next release.

For now you can get around it by deleting the files in data/landscape in your output folder (I think). You only need to delete the one for the broken chapter, but can always get rid of the others as well if you aren’t editing landscape.

Deleting the landscape directory worked. Thanks for addressing my issue.

Something else worth mentioning is that when I first started using Paragon, some change I made with it caused the game to crash on chapter 7 immediately after pressing A when the chapter ends. I have no idea what caused this, but I ended up fixing it by deleting my project, starting a new one, and manually reentering everything on a fresh ROM.

My best guess is that either my changes to staff experience I mentioned in my previous post or Spotpass character growth rates (Emmeryn, Walhart, etc.) caused the problem. Those are the only 2 sets of changes I didn't add to my rom when I restarted the project.

Chapter 7 Crash.jpg

Edited by IrohDW

2 hours ago, IrohDW said:

Deleting the landscape directory worked. Thanks for addressing my issue.

Something else worth mentioning is that when I first started using Paragon, some change I made with it caused the game to crash on chapter 7 immediately after pressing A when the chapter ends. I have no idea what caused this, but I ended up fixing it by deleting my project, starting a new one, and manually reentering everything on a fresh ROM.

My best guess is that either my changes to staff experience I mentioned in my previous post or Spotpass character growth rates (Emmeryn, Walhart, etc.) caused the problem. Those are the only 2 sets of changes I didn't add to my rom when I restarted the project.

Chapter 7 Crash.jpg

Random errors like this are tougher to pin down, but I can try looking at where this crashed in the game’s code later today.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, IrohDW said:

I've had another crash, this time immediately after pressing A at the Stage Complete!  screen on chapter 19. The only chapter relevant data I changed is Walhart's stats.

This time I've attached a crash dump, I hope it helps pin down the cause of the issue.

Walhart Crash.jpg

crash_dump_00000001.dmp 604 B · 0 downloads

Thanks for the crash dump. Will add this to my TODO list.