I am sick and tired of entitled customers.

XRay

I just need to vent a bit since it has been bottling up inside me for like the past two years. I am not sure if I should be specific, so I will just keep the details vague and speak metaphorically in the next paragraph unless you want to know more about it.

Basically, when you patronize a business and you see how hard its working, you get a little attached to them. They are obviously not perfect, and you feel frustrated by them too at times, but you understand why things are the way it is. While you are not fully satisfied, the business does serve you well enough that you are happy with the overall service for the most part. Then this rude-as-hell customer in front of you is yelling at the cashier for thirty fucking minutes so they can get some free shit, and they are too dumb and entitled to see how obnoxious they are. Not only are they wasting the business's time, they are wasting your time and holding up every other customer down the line too. And annoying thing is that this does not happen just once in a while, it happens almost weekly and sometimes daily. The people working in the business got bills to pay and need to eat too, and they cannot just offer things for free.

I am just shocked by how entitled and ignorant some people are. I am just totally fed up with these people over the years, and many of them are not even customers in the first place and they just want free shit because they feel entitled to it. Basically, if you see a bunch of random idiots showing up on Serenes Forest demanding Nintendo to offer the newest Fire Emblem games to be available on emulators because they bought the game but cannot afford a gaming console, you will be annoyed and pissed too. Like first off, Intelligent Systems is not going to read shit on this site since they have no relation with this forum and probably do not even know about it. Secondly, go freaking play Heroes if you want a free Fire Emblem experience. And then imagine this happening almost every single week, and it gets so bad that even users created a pinned thread to address those idiots.

That is very far from the forest. "when you patronize a business and you see how hard its working" it mean you're running a business, a company, a shop or sth?

"I am just shocked by how entitled and ignorant some people are". Just don't be like them. And don't let those things get to you. If they trigged your anger, that means they would won over you. Don't let them win. 

Edited by Hasechi

It sucks that you had to deal with that. Just know that a lot of people appreciate cashiers or other service employees. Especially for dealing with all that and not quitting! Thank you for all you do.

I've worked with customers for some years. It can be rewarding. It can also leads you to interact with assholes or that one person who's just legitimately mentally ill. It helps to keep in mind that its often nothing personal. Customers sometimes just need to vent which leads to you just hearing them out, nodding and sending them on their way. I've very rarely felt personally bothered by angry customers. 

Gamers have a reputation of being entitled. On the other hand they are also in an industry where they're constantly being swindled. Low key swindled, but swindled all the same. If the gaming industry had a more healthy attitude towards its customers then perhaps those customers would have a more healthy attitude towards the industry. Its hard to go see things from the industry's perspective when that industry often seems to maliciously go out of their way to make the experience worse for the customers. Things like Assassins Creed Unity or more recently Cyberpunk releasing in a broken state wouldn't lead to such bitterness if the publishers were upfront about such things. But instead they seem to almost conspire to ensure no one gets to know its broken until the sale has already taken place. I'm sure things like troubled development, the higher up putting their foot down and forcing the devs to release it before its done or the hype just not being able to be met would be met with more sympathy if they didn't seem to dupe customers.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 hours ago, XRay said:

Then this rude-as-hell customer in front of you is yelling at the cashier for thirty fucking minutes so they can get some free shit, and they are too dumb and entitled to see how obnoxious they are. Not only are they wasting the business's time, they are wasting your time and holding up every other customer down the line too. And annoying thing is that this does not happen just once in a while, it happens almost weekly and sometimes daily. The people working in the business got bills to pay and need to eat too, and they cannot just offer things for free.

Yeah; trust me when I say that you haven't experienced truly terrible and entitled customers until you've worked in retail. I had a job at a store for half a year (I'm deliberately avoiding details) that basically amounted to moving products onto the shelves, changing price tags, and every now and then helping customers find the items they're looking for. Most customers were nice and understood when I couldn't answer their questions (I had only been working at the store for a little while; I didn't know where everything was), but every now and then, you get the really bad customers; I was even given the offer to take the rest of the day off after having to deal with a particularly bad one. 

As far as gamers and video game companies go, pretty much what @Etrurian emperor said: it's rather hard to see things from the company's perspective when the company is frequently guilty of a ton of anti-consumer practices.

5 hours ago, Hasechi said:

That is very far from the forest. "when you patronize a business and you see how hard its working" it mean you're running a business, a company, a shop or sth?

No, I am just a customer. Thankfully, I am not running the business, or else I would be pulling my hair follicles out.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

It sucks that you had to deal with that. Just know that a lot of people appreciate cashiers or other service employees. Especially for dealing with all that and not quitting! Thank you for all you do.

I do not work there, but yeah, I know most customers are nice and appreciative of the business, but there are some rude as hell ones that are just plain disruptive. The business does not have any actual cashiers, but that is the closest online equivalent I can think of.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Gamers have a reputation of being entitled. On the other hand they are also in an industry where they're constantly being swindled. Low key swindled, but swindled all the same. If the gaming industry had a more healthy attitude towards its customers then perhaps those customers would have a more healthy attitude towards the industry. Its hard to go see things from the industry's perspective when that industry often seems to maliciously go out of their way to make the experience worse for the customers. Things like Assassins Creed Unity or more recently Cyberpunk releasing in a broken state wouldn't lead to such bitterness if the publishers were upfront about such things. But instead they seem to almost conspire to ensure no one gets to know its broken until the sale has already taken place. I'm sure things like troubled development, the higher up putting their foot down and forcing the devs to release it before its done or the hype just not being able to be met would be met with more sympathy if they didn't seem to dupe customers.

I guess I should be a bit more specific since it is probably relevant, but yeah the business deals with gaming, specifically TTRPGs. I have not seen much issue from videogame customers, although that being said, I am only familiar with Serenes Forest and a few Fire Emblem subreddits, so it is possible Fire Emblem fans are just more reasonable than the average videogamer.

On the other hand, from my limited experience with the TTRPG community, it seems like there is a rather large minority of people who do not understand how basic product ownership works. In videogames, we all understand that buying physical games does not mean you automatically get the digital version, and cross platform play is the exception rather than the rule. I have no idea what the hell is wrong with some people in the TTRPG community, but they think that if they bought a physical book, they should get the digital ones for free too. It is as if they have been living under a rock for the past 30 years and have no idea on how the internet or a modern day businesses work. But obviously that cannot be the case because these people should have went to the theaters and bookstores at least once in their life time before, and buying a movie ticket or novel does not mean you get to take home a DVD or read it on the Kindle or Audible. I do not think most of them are not so old that they do not understand how videogames work. Or maybe most TTRPG fans are indeed a bunch of old dudes who never played videogames before, but they are technologically more savvy than other boomers so they constantly show up online.

Occasionally it gets so bad that there are four or five threads clogging up the first page of their forums. I just want to browse the forums for interesting and fun ideas and discussions. I do not want to see the same old new and necro'd threads complaining about how people should get free shit. They have not paid a dime to the developers so they are not even customers, while I have been a customer and paid for my fair share. You know how you often hear about the stereotypical Millennials being entitled snowflakes? I see a bunch of boomers acting that way online (I assume they are mostly boomers due to how oblivious they are about the differences between digital and physical products).

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; trust me when I say that you haven't experienced truly terrible and entitled customers until you've worked in retail. I had a job at a store for half a year (I'm deliberately avoiding details) that basically amounted to moving products onto the shelves, changing price tags, and every now and then helping customers find the items they're looking for. Most customers were nice and understood when I couldn't answer their questions (I had only been working at the store for a little while; I didn't know where everything was), but every now and then, you get the really bad customers; I was even given the offer to take the rest of the day off after having to deal with a particularly bad one. 

As far as gamers and video game companies go, pretty much what @Etrurian emperor said: it's rather hard to see things from the company's perspective when the company is frequently guilty of a ton of anti-consumer practices.

Yeah, in real life, there are some customers who are just the absolute worst. I have seen quite a handful who refuse to wear masks and I heard a few are even outright racist. Thankfully I did not encounter the racist ones in real life, but hearing about them this frequently is quite a shock since I am in California and that shit does not fly over here. Like for fuck's sake, if you are racist, keep your racism to yourself. My parents have some pretty racist views, but at least they know better to not blurt it out in public. Maybe it is due to COVID and social distancing getting to them or something, but racism this blatant and open is unheard of before, at least for me anyways. Like outright racism is what you hear about like once or twice in a lifetime, not something you hear about three or four times in a single year.

Gaming companies are not always the most consumer friendly, but there are some attitudes and beliefs that are totally unreasonable and stupid. For example, I do not expect my copy of Fire Emblem Warriors to be playable on the 3DS just because I bought the Switch version. But for some reason, some people think that buying shit off of Barnes and Noble should entitle them to a digital copy for free from a completely different company with no relation at all to Barnes and Noble.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

On the other hand, from my limited experience with the TTRPG community, it seems like there is a rather large minority of people who do not understand how basic product ownership works. In videogames, we all understand that buying physical games does not mean you automatically get the digital version, and cross platform play is the exception rather than the rule. I have no idea what the hell is wrong with some people in the TTRPG community, but they think that if they bought a physical book, they should get the digital ones for free too.

Seriously, this isn't rocket science. It might be a Karen moment in the making, if you think about it.

54 minutes ago, XRay said:

No, I am just a customer. Thankfully, I am not running the business, or else I would be pulling my hair follicles out.

Ok now I  understand the situation. You were in the backline waiting for your turn to pay your buying stuffs at the cashier. But the infront person above you was causing trouble for the cashier. And that wasted your time, you also were mad about that person behavior too.

What does entitled customer mean?

7 minutes ago, Hasechi said:

Ok now I  understand the situation. You were in the backline waiting for your turn to pay your buying stuffs at the cashier. But the infront person above you was causing trouble for the cashier. And that wasted your time, you also were mad about that person behavior too.

The cashier and waiting in line are just a metaphor. "Speaking in a metaphor" means that you are describing a similar situation to keep the actual details vague. This is often done as a form of courtesy or due to privacy reasons.

9 minutes ago, Hasechi said:

What does entitled customer mean?

Entitled means that you feel that you deserve something. In a more casual language context, an entitled customer has a negative connotation and it means a person feels like they deserve something but they did nothing to deserve it.

For example, if kid #1 did really well on a test, a teacher gives a candy for a reward; kid #2 did not do well on the test, so kid #2 would be entitled if they demand candy from the teacher, because kid #2 did not earn the candy.

Retail is pretty nutty. I've seen some more minor things in my time, but condolences to the retail workers who have to put up with shit like this. And it sucks when everyone is tired and stressed from work and you have idiots just wasting everyone's time with nonsense.

The situation remind me of this video :

And that is both sides fault. Chinese often give fake advertisements about  cheap or free stuffs or try to micnic other company product. That's really mean. Wasting people time to come there to see the their products, and really mean, trying to sell people fake products. And their products are also very bad. So it is understandable why this man is so angry. But he shouldn't do that do. She's just an employee. Why bullying her?

Edited by Hasechi